• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis – What The Hell Happened To It? (GamingBolt).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/dino-crisis-what-the-hell-happened-to-it/

The late 90’s was a great time for survival horror games. Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Silent Hill, and several other franchises were all knocking it out of the park with the very capable new-fangled 32-bit systems and massive amounts of space available on compact discs. Few genres benefited from the new levels of space and power available to game developers as survival horror did. Shinji Mikami, fresh off the wild success of Resident Evil, was moving right along into many new projects to round out the 20th century and welcome the new millennium. One of which was 1999’s Dino Crisis. At first, calling Dino Crisis “Resident Evil with Dinosaurs” seems like a fitting elevator pitch, and in many ways it is. But once you got a few hours into it you would notice several areas where the Resident Evil formula was being liberally tinkered with. For instance, the inventory system was more convenient, and gone were the pre-rendered backgrounds of years ago.

Now, much like Silent Hill, the entire environment was rendered in real-time, making the characters feel like more of a part of their world instead of just existing on top of it. Also gone are the days of standing still while aiming your weapon, as Dino Crisis let you walk around while aiming which was a welcome tweak to the formula, and made combat feel a lot less stiff than Resident Evil’s. Obviously the biggest thing setting this game apart from others in the genre is the fact that dinosaurs were the primary antagonists, and that really resonated with fans and made the game easy to create marketing for. That aspect alone would go on to be the reason for tons of copies of the first game to be sold, and it would eventually become one of Capcom’s most successful games. Despite the success that Dino Crisis managed to carve out for itself, and the legions of old-school fans who still take to the internet to ask for a new one, we are now sitting at well over ten years since the last main installment. Why is that? What the hell happened to Dino Crisis?

More in the link.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I really hope the unannounced Capcom game that is going to be released / revealed on 2019 is going to be a Dino Crisis reboot. Or maybe even a launch title for the PS5/X2.

It simply boggles my mind how we can have 50 zombie games a year and zero to one dino games. Horizon is basically mecha-dinos and was amazing. ARK proved that there's interest in dino games. Jurassic Park is living somewhat of a renaissance. Capcom is in God mode right now.

The stars are aligned. Let it happen!!

Shifty

I've long been of the mind that Dino Crisis needs to be revived with some variant of the RE6 gunplay system. All that diving, dodging and rolling all over the place fits with the aiming-on-the-move and shift toward action that came with Dino Crisis 2.

It'd be a nice way for Capcom to tick the 'action shootybangs' box without needing to drag Resi away from the survival horror roots that the series thrives on.

Vorg

Banned
We wanted Dino Crisis 3, but Capcom somehow thought that meant dinosaurs in space. Let it die.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Dino's were a 90's thing. We moved on.

I respectfully disagree. Dinos have always been a suggestion for a video game antagonist from the birth of video games, like zombies and aliens. I see no reason why dino games cannot be made anymore. Fighting games are still been made. Same with zombie games, first person shooters, rpgs, and everything else. Why should Dino games stay in the 90s?

cryptoadam

Banned
Tell that to Jurassic World.

LOL, while Hollywood is devoid of new ideas so they have to go back to the well. And since we are in 90's nostalgia mode (just getting through 80's nostalgia mode a few years ago) Dino's are back to being a thing. So it would make sense to reboot the game now.

But in the 2000's Dino's faded from pop culture. Not sure if you around in the 90's but Dino's were HUGE. Its the reason why the Toronto Raptors are called the Raptors.

cryptoadam

Banned
I respectfully disagree. Dinos have always been a suggestion for a video game antagonist from the birth of video games, like zombies and aliens. I see no reason why dino games cannot be made anymore. Fighting games are still been made. Same with zombie games, first person shooters, rpgs, and everything else. Why should Dino games stay in the 90s?

Yes it makes sense to do a Dino game now since they are coming back. But in the 2000's Dinos werent a thing and actually gave way to Zombies.

Notice how Zombies are starting to die down in games now. Its all cyclical. Dino's will come back and Zombies will be out.

Belmonte

I'm not into dinossaurs, even when I was a kid I didn't care much. But strangely I always liked to have than as enemies. Dino Crisis 2 was insanely fun for me at the time. It is cool because there were lots of kinds of dinossaurs and the devs can get creative with moves, attacks, stamina, strenght...

Monster Hunter is kind of fantasy dinossaurs vs dudes with huge swords, and it is very popular right now.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Dino Crisis 3 happened. Would love a good comeback though. Imagine a reboot for next gen directed by the man himself.

VulcanRaven

There is some great fan art online:
Dino-Crisis-Reboot-Idea-by-Lonefirewarrior.jpg

kyle-crompton-dinopaintovera03.jpg

I hope Capcom is planning something. I think a remake or a sequel could sell well.

ksdixon

I perferres DC2 over DC1. But I liked that half-step between survival horror controls (tank controls and fixed cameras), and action games. Not sure how I'd enjoy a fps game like Dino stalker/RE7 or a bog standard tps like RE6 having the Dino Crisis name slapped on it?

I think I could give RE6 controls a fair-er shake in DC though. At least there it might make sense to jump onto your back and shimmy backwards and.shoot up at a jumping velociraptor, ya know? As long as the presentation wasn't hampered by cinematic black boxes and a camera that's not so close its practically shoved up your arse. We'd have to be able to see what's going-on.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I can't wait to meet Jawmuncher here - he was one of the reasons I wanted to be an ERA member so much - so that I could chime in and voice my need to see a Dino Crisis reboot as well.

the thing is dino crisis wasnt a very good game. it was distinct like in its style in terms of dinos but less so than RE and onimusha and didnt have the charm at all that those 2 had and the sequels were just awful. this is one of those games i dont get why people want it brought back as it just wasnt a very good game. i will say the beginning of dino crisis was pretty cool

ROMhack

the thing is dino crisis wasnt a very good game. it was distinct like in its style in terms of dinos but less so than RE and onimusha and didnt have the charm at all that those 2 had and the sequels were just awful. this is one of those games i dont get why people want it brought back as it just wasnt a very good game. i will say the beginning of dino crisis was pretty cool

Agree that the gameplay wasn't distinct but I think there's a lot of charm to the game. I only played it a few years ago but was struck by how outlandish the time-travelling dinosaur premise is. I couldn't name a single game or movie like Dino Crisis. It's like Vanquish in how ridiculous-yet-similar to other games it is.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dino Crisis 2 dropped the horror aspect and went full action and even brought up an arcade feel to it with the combo system rewarding players with points to spend to buy and upgrade weapons that carry over to NG+

Also use the points to pay for unlockable content once you beat the game. Don't see none of that in 2019. Game was fire I won't hear no slander about it as dumb as the story is. Dino Crisis and 3 you can go in on but 2? Not on my watch.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure that if Capcom would announce a proper reboot and they'd make it right this game would be god damn huge. It's straight out baffling that no one has made a real 3rd person action game since Dino Crisis 1+2. And no, I do not count the Turoks.

Aggelos

They might be planning something, then again they might be planning nothing in terms of Dino Crisis.
In the December interview with famitsu, the head of the Capcom Consumer Games Development Division 1 (where RE7, DMC5 and RE2Remake were made), Jun Takeuchi let the following interesting scoop slide.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201812/05168410.html
Q: May I ask as to the plans of Development Division 1 from now on?

Takeuchi : Our first priority is to get RE2Remake and DMC5 out there in the market to everyone. From there onwards, how we will proceed will be defined by the feedback that we receive from our customers and userbase. It is going to be for us a careful listening of comments and remarks such as "It would be great if you did that", "We would really love to see this" etc. We are presently honing our skills and pushing the envelope in terms of what we can actualize and substantiate as developers, since I think that when we are to talk about the next RE game and anything else it should mark the era of a complete overhaul. Then again, currently we have been working on another game that will take people aback and make them jump off their seats by surprise thinking "What? They're making that one?"
1_o.jpg

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Jun_Takeuchi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Takeuchi
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/officer02.html

So it may mean sth, but it may mean nothing.... It's equivocal and ambiguous what Takeuchi said.

Mikami Shinji had plans for another Dino game, after the release of Dino Crisis 3 in 2003. This is corroborated by the fact that Capcom released a Dino Crisis 5th Anniversary boxset back in 2004.
Which indicates that internally things were in motion to do something more with the Dino series. But apparently everything was shelved eventually and the series lapsed into obscurity.
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/328444/Shinji+Mikami+tells+us+about+Dino+Crisislike+Dino+Arrive/

"I don't know if now is a right time to make a game based on dinosaurs, but I had this idea maybe ten years ago that had dinosaurs, it was named Dino Arrive, and the story is that you, as a character, you're trying to find your lost lover, but you have to go into the past to find her. And you're sent to this unknown world, and it's a land that you've seen for the first time, and that's where creatures like perhaps dinosaurs appear and you have to survive; use whatever means and tactics to survive and try to find your lover."

latest

Last edited:

DonF

Dinosaurs are timeless. Look at the last 8 years in movies. Jurassic World, JW Fallen Kingdom, Rampage, Godzilla, King Kong, The good Dinosaur...
I keep saying this and I'll say it again. Capcom should have developed a Dino Crisis game with the release of Jurassic world. Riding the dino fad.

VulcanRaven

Dino Crisis 2 was awesome. The intro was great:

I wonder why Dino Crisis 3 was an Xbox exclusive? It would have sold better if it was on all consoles. I haven't played it.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
First two Dino Crisis are best. Dino Crisis 3 wasnt dino crisis people wanted to see, but it was good game overall to me with excelent dino/bosses design and great atmosphere.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
LOL, while Hollywood is devoid of new ideas so they have to go back to the well. And since we are in 90's nostalgia mode (just getting through 80's nostalgia mode a few years ago) Dino's are back to being a thing. So it would make sense to reboot the game now.

But in the 2000's Dino's faded from pop culture. Not sure if you around in the 90's but Dino's were HUGE. Its the reason why the Toronto Raptors are called the Raptors.

Pretty much, also didn't these games not sell as well as the Resident Evil series?

I think if you're going to resurrect a remake of the first one at least, the time is right now to strike in the iron while it's semi hot.

PrCat88

Talking with Hideki Kamiya on twitter (before he got block-happy) I got the impression that the team at Capcom merely just lost interest in it. He even suggested that Shinji Mikami wasn't really the director of the first game and that it was Shu Takumi. (ACE ATTORNEY).

Aggelos

Talking with Hideki Kamiya on twitter (before he got block-happy) I got the impression that the team at Capcom merely just lost interest in it. He even suggested that Shinji Mikami wasn't really the director of the first game and that it was Shu Takumi. (ACE ATTORNEY).

Do you think I might ask him again in Japanese?

Mikami Shinji and Takumi Shu re-union

The official Capcom Dev Division 1 twitter account teased Dino Crisis back in December 2017.
They said that they might bring it back, if there was considerable demand for the Dino Crisis series.

Capcom Development Division 1 was/is in charge of RE7, RE2Remake, DMC5 and another unannounced project.

I'm not sure if Capcom will bring the series back, considering the last one was out in 2003. But if they did, they would probably choose to do what many companies do with games, and reboot it. That's likely what they will do. However, the second game suggested there could have been a real sequel someday, where Regina attempted to rescue Dylan and Paula. Instead, we got dinos in space. Yawn!

Top Bottom