• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: PS5 shipped 3.4 million units in first four weeks, expected to reach up to 18 million units in 2021

This console is in demand more than any other before it. Yes They would sell 20 million at launch if they had them available. No Yes 20. No 1/5th the Golden number of 100 million all at launch.

Amazon had some go up today twice and both were gone in less than a minute. Same with Target this AM. Yes I got in the PS direct today early but no luck.

If they keep the games coming like they did with PS4 it will sell 160 million easy. No
Just fixed it for you

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

PS5 is really the Tickle Me Elmo of the year, but it's a lot harder to manufacture consoles than dolls. It's good to have guaranteed support for another generation. I've got my PS+ sub active for the free games, while I await release of the system in SEA. I'll have some free games to play when I finally get my hands on one.

Elios83

Since December and Sony's fiscal Q3 is pretty much over we should get the fist ww sales update in about a week (usually during the CES conference that traditionally is in early January but this year due to covid has been turned into a digital event starting from Jan 11th so if they're waiting for CES it will be a bit later this year).
PS4 did 4.2m units in November+December 2013:
Sony is targeting and manufacturing more PS5s than PS4s this time so numbers should be a bit higher than 4.2m if manufacturing was on track.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Since December and Sony's fiscal Q3 is pretty much over we should get the fist ww sales update in about a week (usually during the CES conference).
Sony is targeting and manufacturing more PS5s than PS4s this time so numbers should be a bit higher if manufacturing was on track.
I wouldn't be surprised at 5M but as already stated, depends on how many they could produce. It will be higher than PS4 though.

ethomaz

Banned
Since December and Sony's fiscal Q3 is pretty much over we should get the fist ww sales update in about a week (usually during the CES conference that traditionally is in early January but this year due to covid has been turned into a digital event starting from Jan 11th so if they're waiting for CES it will be a bit later this year).
Sony is targeting and manufacturing more PS5s than PS4s this time so numbers should be a bit higher than 4.2m if manufacturing was on track.
We will get the actual shipment data (the OP subject) in Feb 2, 2021.

Elios83

We will get the actual shipment data (the OP subject) in Feb 2, 2021.

Yes Q3 fiscal results will be announced on that date with official shipments but usually Sony announces sales updates for their products in early January.
Given that so far it's basically impossible to find PS5s in stores shipments should be pretty much the same as sold through unless they're also counting some PS5s that have been bought by retailers but were in transit during the last week of December. In any case it will be a small difference.

Last edited:

Elios83

I wouldn't be surprised at 5M but as already stated, depends on how many they could produce. It will be higher than PS4 though.

Yes I also think final numbers will be close to 5m.
With an other 3m in January-March so the total will be 8m by the end of March 2021 vs the 7.6m PS4s if I recall correctly.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes Q3 fiscal results will be announced on that date with official shipments but usually Sony announces sales updates for their products in early January.
Given that so far it's basically impossible to find PS5s in stores shipments should be pretty much the same as sold through unless they're also counting some PS5s that have been bought by retailers but were in transit during the last week of December. In any case it will be a small difference.
There will be always a difference... it is impossible to be the same even for discontinued products.
PS4 was heavy supply constrained and it was 4.2m vs 4.5m... 300k difference.

The difference will be around the same for PS5 I guess.

Said that... the Digitimes article is about shipments that are the Feb data... of course we can guess with the sales thought if Sony posted it now in January.

Last edited:

Elios83

There will be always a difference... it is impossible to be the same even for discontinued products.
PS4 was heavy supply constrained and it was 4.2m vs 4.5m... 300k difference.

The difference will be around the same for PS5 I guess.

Said that... the Digitimes article is about shipments that are the Feb data... of course we can guess with the sales thought if Sony posted it now in January.

Digitimes is speculation and just the first 4 weeks.
It's not November+December. They're not counting 3 weeks of December basically. Shipments/sales will be really close for November+December just like 4.2m and 4.5m were really close.
So no if they only sold through 3.4m units we won't find 4.5m shipped :p
But that's not the case.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think it'll be closer to 6 million personally. With the target of 10 million by March 31, 2021 intact.

Considering its current demand, I don't doubt 6 million PS5 would be a feasible number if it wasn't supply constrained.
But the thing is, it is supply-constrained, so it's something to take into account and I'm curious when it will finally stop being supply-constrained. Series X, I think, is also somewhat supply-constrained, but less so than PS5. I don't think Series S is supply-constrained at all, at least outside of certain parts of the US. But at the same time, that system seems designed more as the "holiday shopping-friendly" console.
Hmmmm so roughly the same. Still pretty impressive but demand is way higher. I'd say Sony will discount the ps5 at a slower rate as consumers will be happy to pay full price for a long time. It's a frenzy out there atm.
They're about to get Nintendo-esque in terms of evergreen pricing, though in this case with the hardware of all things.
If we saw a day where a console sold more than 200million, it would be excellent for console gaming. It would allow them pack more high performance and better tech into the next iterations because of the economies of scale and they could fund even more exclusives, which would only grow core gaming and allow more people experience high quality AAA games.
You don't need 200 million units sold to get any of that. PS4 will end up selling less than PS2 yet has been a lot more profitable for Sony and 3P publishers than that system ever was. It's about the ecosystem these days, and that goes well beyond how many consoles you've sold.

I know some people like to (rather unfairly) bash MS for focusing less on consoles sold, but they're right insofar as not relying on simply console unit sales to determine success. What's it matter if you sell x million of consoles if your attach rates are in the trash, no one's subscribing to your services and you even have to put those consoles on discount sales in order to move volume? That's partly why Microsoft are focused more on user engagement and the overall ecosystem (though they still care at least somewhat about console sales too, they just aren't vocal about it).

In a similar way, Sony can afford to be a bit more upfront with console sale numbers, but they know they need full ecosystem engagement in order to keep revenue and profits for the division on the up. If by some freak of circumstances PS Plus subscriptions fall off or attach rates decline sharply, etc., then touting number of consoles sold ends up more like celebrating a paper champion belt.

You can offset smaller economies of scale in parts securement by driving up profit in actual game and subscription sales. That's kind of been Microsoft's focus for the past few years; Sony has the benefit of having very large game/subscription sales (well, at least PS Plus in terms of subs; PS Now is further behind on that note) and very large volume of hardware sales alongside that.

Kerotan

Hopefully it's only ever HW because Sony's aggressive software discounts is one of the best things in gaming. Nintendo doing the opposite is one of the worst.

Also the ps4 in the end didn't get a big discount compared to other Sony consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom