• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: PS5 shipped 3.4 million units in first four weeks, expected to reach up to 18 million units in 2021

Kerotan

Makes a lot more sense than the 10 million (or even 6 million) figure some people were throwing around as their launch figures. Some folks keep forgetting the 10 million is for the whole fiscal quarter, their fiscal quarter runs up to March of 2021. That said, 18 million for whole of launch through 2021 sounds pretty decent. Doing some quick looking, the PS4 sold around 14.4 million - 18 million by the end of 2014 globally (18.5 million by January 4, 2015); PS5 demand might be incredibly strong but so was PS4's and anyone expecting 2x PS4's sell-through for the first year of PS5 or anything close to that is delusional.

That said it might be on the lower end of some people's expectations. PS5 has a really strong 2021 lineup but the PS2 also had a similarly strong 1st year lineup and "only" did 6 million in its first year, so not all hardware sell-through factors are tied to software lineup. Also just because PS5's Year-1 sell rate might not show a large increase over PS4's, doesn't mean successive years will follow the same rates. There's a multitude of factors that could impact all of that.

18.5 million according to Wiki.
Hmmmm so roughly the same. Still pretty impressive but demand is way higher. I'd say Sony will discount the ps5 at a slower rate as consumers will be happy to pay full price for a long time. It's a frenzy out there atm.

Tmack

Here in Europe the PS5's mindshare is different. If PS4 was "popular" then I honestly don't know how we define PS5.

Demand was strong in Europe but somehow exploded after the final (and very positive) revealings (DS, games, performance, etc).

In a small Euro Contry the PS5 was avaible for almost a week for pre-order until finally sell out... demand didn`t seem that great... but when the console released on nov 19, the initial shippment sold out in seconds and the second wave also sold out in a matter of seconds. On the second and market PS5 are being sold for over 800 Euros.... thats crazy.

Meanwhile the Series X is avaible for 1 to 3 days shipping.

devilNprada

Someone is pulling imaginary numbers here 🤣

Not sure how accurate it is.. but sounds reasonable.. Switch is already at 70 million consoles and we see the games still at $59.99 on the top sales lists every month.
It's a beast no doubt
Cant help himself from trolling in a Sony thread, without ballwashing Nintendo at the same time. Back to more bait topics before a ban, I guess for him.
but yeah maybe the wrong thread

Bryank75

Banned
The road to 200 million starts here
If we saw a day where a console sold more than 200million, it would be excellent for console gaming. It would allow them pack more high performance and better tech into the next iterations because of the economies of scale and they could fund even more exclusives, which would only grow core gaming and allow more people experience high quality AAA games.

FStubbs

If we saw a day where a console sold more than 200million, it would be excellent for console gaming. It would allow them pack more high performance and better tech into the next iterations because of the economies of scale and they could fund even more exclusives, which would only grow core gaming and allow more people experience high quality AAA games.
Maybe? PS2 and DS cleared 150 million and didn't exactly have stellar successors.

Klayzer

Maybe? PS2 and DS cleared 150 million and didn't exactly have stellar successors.
Weird, isn't it? Both Nintendo and Sony followed their most successful consoles, with two of their least successful consoles (PS3 and 3Ds). Relatively speaking of coarse. Though, the Vita and the Wii U failed spectacularly.

3.4 sounds like a lot but nobody I know has one or was able to get one.
mine will be here in january. already backordered
Congrats...but yeah fuck this whole situation.

Sony can't make these things fast enough and we have scalpers to deal with plus shipping issues.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Long live the king

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

This console is in demand more than any other before it. They would sell 20 million at launch if they had them available. Yes 20. 1/5th the Golden number of 100 million all at launch.

Amazon had some go up today twice and both were gone in less than a minute. Same with Target this AM. I got in the PS direct today early but no luck.

If they keep the games coming like they did with PS4 it will sell 160 million easy.

Not saying that these numbers are impressive but I don't trust Digitimes. Looks to me like their source is VGChartz seeing as they cite "industry sources".

I'll wait for Sony to officially come through with real numbers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Jesus. The demand is strong and the supply is weak but in line with past launches. Clearly the difficulty in acquiring one has very little to do with scalpers. Only 3% of PS4 owners could possibly own a PS5 and ebay has 600 active US listings and shows 4500 or so completed US listings. You scalper criers are just pointing fingers at some weird arbitrage with a tiny fraction of inventory. Get a clue, look at the numbers and accept reality. Stop attacking dudes who want to make a few bucks of rich, impatient people because you can't get a PS5. 97% of PS4 owners don't have one.

ethomaz

Banned
What is it........3.35 million disk version sold and 50k digital in the biggest bait and switch of all time? Funny they won't publish the numbers.
Here in Brasil looked like 50/50 maybe a bit more Disc stock but nowhere limited to disk only... a lot of my friends brought the DE.

BTW the disc version got sold out first.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lmao.

You still on this?

Bait n switch. Too funny.

We will see i guess when the numbers are released, but the numbers that best buy canada were like 2 or 4% or something ridiculous for digital. As far as I'm concerned concerned, if you advertise a product for sale for $399, you should have a lot more than 5% available, especially since the numbers flush out a lot more than that percentage wanted the digital. Sony saying "they didnt know" how many would want the cheaper unit in an age where over 50% of games are now purchased digitally, is total bs. They also have VERY exact figures for how many of the ps4 owners were digital only buyers.

So yes - bait and switch if they dangle a carrot they really had no intention of producing in and large quantity and that hardly anyone can buy, just pr to say the machine is $399. Honestly if ms had done this they would have been roasted alive.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
We will see i guess when the numbers are released, but the numbers that best buy canada were like 2 or 4% or something ridiculous for digital. As far as I'm concerned concerned, if you advertise a product for sale for $399, you should have a lot more than 5% available, especially since the numbers flush out a lot more than that percentage wanted the digital. Sony saying "they didnt know" how many would want the cheaper unit in an age where over 50% of games are now purchased digitally, is total bs. They also have VERY exact figures for how many of the ps4 owners were digital only buyers.

So yes - bait and switch if they dangle a carrot they really had no intention of producing in and large quantity and that hardly anyone can buy, just pr to say the machine is $399. Honestly if ms had done this they would have been roasted alive.
Brady Bunch K GIF

kyussman

Well,at first I was thinking of getting my PS5 sometime in early spring.....but it looks like it will be a while before I can easily just log on to the interent and order one hassle free...it's my birthday on July 2nd,perhaps I'll be able to get one for that,lol.

MagnesG

Banned
You´re lying, this statement is false but good try.

Not sure about other past consoles since much of the inflation rate are only speculation, but from the Resetera thread itself that the site had been gospelling.

Since the FY of the consoles inception (FY ending March 2014 for PS4, FY ending March 2017 for Switch) the cumulative operating profits until March 2020 are:

Sony Game Division: 980Bn yen
Nintendo: 809Bn yen

I expect Nintendo to record the best or second best operating profits result in their history in the current fiscal year.

That numbers is achieved less than half the time (3 years) for Switch era. And Switch have been absolutely killing this year, and next year too for sure.

Top Bottom