• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: PS5 shipped 3.4 million units in first four weeks, expected to reach up to 18 million units in 2021

Source: Here

PlayStation 5 shipped 3.4 million units in its first four weeks of sales, the highest ever for a PlayStation console, according to a Digitimes report citing “industry sources.”

Production is expected to reach 16.8 to 18 million units in 2021 with the help of additional capacity support from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and backend service firms, the publication said.

AMD, which produces the console’s customized 7nm CPU, has reportedly secured additional foundry capacity from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, allowing downstream production partners to ramp up console output.

PlayStation 5 has remained sold out since launch. In western territories such as North America and Europe, retail partners replenish limited stock at random every so often, but sell out almost immediately. The North American PlayStation Direct store receives additional stock more regularly, but faces the same immediate sell out. In Japan, retail partners have been regularly announcing raffles to sell extremely limited additional stock.

A total of 242,000 PlayStation 5 units have been sold in Japan as of December 20, according to the latest Famitsu numbers.

While shipment priority was given to North American and European markets in November and December, Sony Interactive Entertainment is expected to allocate more PlayStation 5 units to Asian markets after January 2021, Digitimes sources said.

Don't bite on Scalpers... they're coming Sooooony.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Low stock hurt the launch’s reputation and eventually everyone will have a PS5 and it will be very pedestrian.

Kerotan

It's a pity they can't ship more. This thing is going to be sold out for all of 2021 I feel. It's probably for the best gta 6 isn't coming until at least 2022.

Anybody know what Sony had shipped after December 2014?

Makes a lot more sense than the 10 million (or even 6 million) figure some people were throwing around as their launch figures. Some folks keep forgetting the 10 million is for the whole fiscal quarter, their fiscal quarter runs up to March of 2021. That said, 18 million for whole of launch through 2021 sounds pretty decent. Doing some quick looking, the PS4 sold around 14.4 million - 18 million by the end of 2014 globally (18.5 million by January 4, 2015); PS5 demand might be incredibly strong but so was PS4's and anyone expecting 2x PS4's sell-through for the first year of PS5 or anything close to that is delusional.

That said it might be on the lower end of some people's expectations. PS5 has a really strong 2021 lineup but the PS2 also had a similarly strong 1st year lineup and "only" did 6 million in its first year, so not all hardware sell-through factors are tied to software lineup. Also just because PS5's Year-1 sell rate might not show a large increase over PS4's, doesn't mean successive years will follow the same rates. There's a multitude of factors that could impact all of that.

It's a pity they can't ship more. This thing is going to be sold out for all of 2021 I feel. It's probably for the best gta 6 isn't coming until at least 2022.

18.5 million according to Wiki.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Thats alot of consoles.

Yeah hopefully early next year is better for PS5 and Series X stock.

Eanox

PlayStation 5 shipped 3.4 million units in its first four weeks of sales, the highest ever for a PlayStation console, according to a Digitimes report citing “industry sources.”
more on gematsu and digitimes

Please lock didn't saw the other thread. thanks

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/dig...ected-to-reach-up-to-18-million-units-in-2021

PS5-Sales_12-29-20.jpg

Production is expected to reach 16.8 to 18 million units in 2021 with the help of additional capacity support from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and backend service firms, the publication said. AMD, which produces the console’s customized 7nm CPU, has reportedly secured additional foundry capacity from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, allowing downstream production partners to ramp up console output.

In Japan, retail partners have been regularly announcing raffles to sell extremely limited additional stock. A total of 242,000 PlayStation 5 units have been sold in Japan as of December 20, according to the latest Famitsu numbers.

While shipment priority was given to North American and European markets in November and December, Sony Interactive Entertainment is expected to allocate more PlayStation 5 units to Asian markets after January 2021, Digitimes sources said.

Sakura

Not sure what to make of that without anything to compare it to. PS4 sold 2.1 million in two weeks, and launched in fewer places than the PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
Not sure what to make of that without anything to compare it to. PS4 sold 2.1 million in two weeks, and launched in fewer places than the PS5.
The date is shipment... not sold to consumers.
So PS5 shipped 4.5m in 6 weeks... the last two weeks are Christmas period.

We there are confirming it is the highest for any PS console that means PS5 did ship less than 3.4m with 4 weeks.

Makes a lot more sense than the 10 million (or even 6 million) figure some people were throwing around as their launch figures. Some folks keep forgetting the 10 million is for the whole fiscal quarter, their fiscal quarter runs up to March of 2021. That said, 18 million for whole of launch through 2021 sounds pretty decent. Doing some quick looking, the PS4 sold around 14.4 million - 18 million by the end of 2014 globally (18.5 million by January 4, 2015); PS5 demand might be incredibly strong but so was PS4's and anyone expecting 2x PS4's sell-through for the first year of PS5 or anything close to that is delusional.

That said it might be on the lower end of some people's expectations. PS5 has a really strong 2021 lineup but the PS2 also had a similarly strong 1st year lineup and "only" did 6 million in its first year, so not all hardware sell-through factors are tied to software lineup. Also just because PS5's Year-1 sell rate might not show a large increase over PS4's, doesn't mean successive years will follow the same rates. There's a multitude of factors that could impact all of that.

It’s clear the demand is significantly higher than at PS4 launch, which even then was feverish.

Manufacturing is evidently the bottleneck. We’re they able to make more PS5s they’ll still shift every last one of them and be sold out at this point. Essentially, Sony’s problem is that their supply chain can’t produce enough consoles to get close to meeting demand... and if anything the scalper epidemic this time around only evidences this fact.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The number seems low because Sony told investors to expect 10 million PS5s to be shipped by March 31, 2021 and 6 million by the end of 2020. So is they can't produce what they said they would just 2 months or so after those statements, something has gone wrong.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The date is shipment... not sold to consumers.
So PS5 shipped 4.5m in 6 weeks... the last two weeks are Christmas period.

We there are confirming it is the highest for any PS console that means PS5 did ship less than 3.4m with 4 weeks.

How do you know the bolded?

Neo Blaster

Considering its current demand, I don't doubt 6 million PS5 would be a feasible number if it wasn't supply constrained.

reinking

Gold Member
Low stock hurt the launch’s reputation and eventually everyone will have a PS5 and it will be very pedestrian.
Isn't that the most stock they have ever shipped at launch? I mean.. ..there isn't really a lot they can do about it unless they just hold off launch and build up a stock of 10 million consoles in a warehouse someplace. That makes no sense financially or strategically.

v_iHuGi

Banned
It's crazy we've gotten to the point where the minimum sales numbers for PlayStation to been seen as a success is 100 million. Only one non-PlayStation home console has sold that many (the Wii), while PS5 is on pace to be the fourth PlayStation 100 million+ seller.

Playstation should be judged according to the juggernaut it is.

Imagine IPhone only selling 15/20M in a Quarter, it would be a huge huge disaster.

Things are judged according to their reputation, Playstation is no different & Sony needs to solve stock problems.

Bodomism

Banned
It's crazy we've gotten to the point where the minimum sales numbers for PlayStation to been seen as a success is 100 million. Only one non-PlayStation home console has sold that many (the Wii), while PS5 is on pace to be the fourth PlayStation 100 million+ seller.
And the craziest part only PS4 managed to enter top 5 most profitable gaming consoles and 4 of those are Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch despite selling less hardware and software than PS4 is about to overtake the entire profits PS4 has made in just half of PS4 lifetime.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The number seems low because Sony told investors to expect 10 million PS5s to be shipped by March 31, 2021 and 6 million by the end of 2020. So is they can't produce what they said they would just 2 months or so after those statements, something has gone wrong.
Those were just rumors. And they were about production of units, which can take months to actually get to stores.

geordiemp

And the craziest part only PS4 managed to enter top 5 most profitable gaming consoles and 4 of those are Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch despite selling less hardware and software than PS4 is about to overtake the entire profits PS4 has made in just half of PS4 lifetime.

Yup nobody fleeces their customer base better than Ninendo like profits., full price games, remakes and releases.

How is that good for the users ? Its like saying I paid over the odds, I am so happy.

Last edited:

Are you basing that off if console profits? It's common knowledge Sony and MS make more expensive hardware and sell for little profit, or even a loss. It comes down to the game sales.

Yes, of course, Nintendo makes more profit off just hardware, as they make cheap hardware and sell it at a premium in order to make a profit from hardware.

I'm thankful Sony and Microsoft don't follow that particular business model of Nintendo.

MagnesG

Banned
18 millions is like the current conservative forecast number for Switch this year lol. I expected more for a console wih such hype.

HeresJohnny

Yeah and if that’s the case, I’ll just wait for a revision.

jroc74

18 millions is like the current conservative forecast number for Switch this year lol. I expected more for a console wih such hype.
For a console that has an sku $100 more than the previous version.

The Switch is $200 - $300 less than any PS5 sku. In comparison I would say thats amazing for the PS5 to do 18 million.

Context.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
For a console that has an sku $100 more than the previous version.

The Switch is $100 - $300 less than any PS5 sku.

Context.
That's true.

On different context though, isn't PS5 selling at a loss for every unit? Much more with $400 sku?

yurinka

The 'rumored'/'leaked' 10 million was for the first fiscal year (from Nov 2020 to March 31, 2021, almost first 4 months). Bloomberg was who mentioned this number, and later mentioned they scaled it down due to production issues. Sony then said Bloomber was lying and that they didn't reduce their production/shipment estimation but didn't specify if the 10M number was real.

Sony only said they expect to sell this fiscal year more than PS4 did on its first fiscal year (7M units), so 10M would fit here.
18M too low, Sony clearly is having supply problems.
Aligning sales, PS4 sold 18.5M until the end of "2021", including the "2020" sales.
PS5 is selling faster than PS4 and Sony expect that at the end of March PS5 will continue outselling PS4 launch aligned.

And looking at the list of big exclusives they have announced for 2021, I'm pretty sure the difference will become bigger. And this was before Sony saw the PS5 sales and decided (if the article isn't bullshit) to increase production, which makes me think the article means they estimate to produce/sell 16-18M during 2021 alone, not including there the 4M+ PS5 to be sold in December.

I mean, if I get it correctly they expect to have sold 20-22M+ consoles at the end of 2021, which would mean another gaming history record because PS4 sold 18.5M (launch aligned) until then. I see it a bit conservative, I see the potential to sell more, but I understand that the logistics of having record shipments for a 1st year with cutting edge technology must be very difficult specially with a global pandemic out there.

I mean, to increase the production for Sony should be hard, but also for AMD, whoever makes the SSD, etc. since they are new stuff and their production should be more or less limited as of now.

Which wiki?

FY2014: 14.8m (23.3m cumulative)
CY2014: 15.4m (19.9m cumulative)

What exactly time frame are you trying to use for after December 2013?
4.2M (as of December 28, 2013)
18.5M (as of January 4, 2015)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The 'rumored'/'leaked' 10 million was for the first fiscal year (from Nov 2020 to March 31, 2021, almost first 4 months). Bloomberg was who mentioned this number, and later mentioned they scaled it down due to production issues. Sony then said Bloomber was lying and that they didn't reduce their production/shipment estimation but didn't specify if the 10M number was real.

Sony only said they expect to sell this fiscal year more than PS4 did on its first fiscal year (7M units), so 10M would fit here.

Aligning sales, PS4 sold 18.5M until the end of "2021", including the "2020" sales.
PS5 is selling faster than PS4 and Sony expect that at the end of March PS5 will continue outselling PS4 launch aligned.

And looking at the list of big exclusives they have announced for 2021, I'm pretty sure the difference will become bigger. And this was before Sony saw the PS5 sales and decided (if the article isn't bullshit) to increase production, which makes me think the article means they estimate to produce/sell 16-18M during 2021 alone, not including there the 4M+ PS5 to be sold in December.

I mean, if I get it correctly they expect to have sold 20-22M+ consoles at the end of 2021, which would mean another gaming history record because PS4 sold 18.5M (launch aligned) until then. I see it a bit conservative, I see the potential to sell more, but I understand that the logistics of having record shipments for a 1st year with cutting edge technology must be very difficult specially with a global pandemic out there.

I mean, to increase the production for Sony should be hard, but also for AMD, whoever makes the SSD, etc. since they are new stuff and their production should be more or less limited as of now.

Lifetime worldwide hardware sell-through
4.2M (as of December 28, 2013)
18.5M (as of January 4, 2015)

Actually 19.9m shipped at end of 2014.
And 4.5m shipped at end of 2013.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Ok let's put in perceptive with accurate data.

PS4 2013: 4.5m
PS5 2020: 3.4m + what it shipped in the last 4 weeks of Dec (after Dec 12)

PS4 2014: 15.4m
PS4 2021 Est: 18.5m (* It is not clear if the estimate is for FY or CY... I'm using CY *)

We are looking at around 5-6m shipped in 2020 and yes they will be close to that "10 million" target (if it was really a target) for te fiscal year.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm noticing each gen people upgrades more in quantities, as if more people justify the purchase of the systems so rush to get them.

Not to say the new consoles will sell more (which is almost a given) but mostly that the ones sold to frequent players (which seem to be more in proportion by the time pass) will be sold faster, only slowed down by offer availability.

yurinka

Actually 19.9m shipped at end of 2014.
And 4.5m shipped at end of 2013.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges.
?

Calm down and learn to read. You asked the source of his numbers and I provided it. They weren't for shipped units, were for sold units instead as I specified.

Regarding my own post, I'm talking about sold units, not shipped.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
?

Calm down and learn to read. You asked the source of his numbers and I provided it. They weren't for shipped, were for sold as I specified.

Regarding my own post, I'm talking about sold units, not shipped.
You are mixing shipment with sold thought.

jroc74

That's true.

On different context though, isn't PS5 selling at a loss for every unit? Much more with $400 sku?
At a loss like the PS4? There's no Bill of Materials posted yet, but it has to be. The disc version is probably a smaller loss vs the DE.

Rolla

Banned
First 4 weeks? That'd put them at over 6 million before the new year if they overcome production hurdles.

ethomaz

Banned
First 4 weeks? That'd put them at over 6 million before the new year if they overcome production hurdles.
Around that.
4 weeks ends at Dec 12.

So there is about more 4 weeks of shipment to add to these 3.4m.

I'm guessing around 5-6 million but it can even go over 6 million like you said with enough supply.

it is crazy for one and a half month launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom