• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: They Fixed Gotham Knights! DF Tech Re-Review - PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PC Re-Tested!

• Overall, massive improvement on all platforms
  • Game still sucks
playing it now, &, while i'm managing to stay awake & somewhat interested, yeah, this's fundamentally a pretty uninspired, mediocre game. as well made as gotham, the city itself, is, it's completely lacking the character (& riddler puzzles) of arkham city/knight, the main characters are hollow, cliched kidults (i mean, even alfred is 'off' - how do you mess up alfred?), & it's only the court of owls thing that keeps me going (really dislike the new versions of penguin & harley, too)...

indulge at your own risk...

Last edited:

Spyxos

I'm kinda tempted to get this now but I'm sure it's not worth it.

$27.99 on sale right now though...
Don't. You could get something good for the money. I played through it and there was nothing good or interesting about it.

No No No GIF

onQ123

I am starting to think that the PS5 is slightly more powerful than the Series X. That’s the only thing that can explain why PS5 is constantly outperforming the Series X for these 3rd party games.

Please don’t bring up the console war nonsense I own and play on both but this trend has me really confused because I prefer using my Series X for most 3rd games.
In straight forward rendering PS5 has the advantage in most cases because of the higher clocked GPU it's pushing more geometry & higher pixel fill rate . series X has advantages from having more compute units & faster RAM but the memory situation isn't a complete win for Series X because of it's own design plus PS5 having a beefed up memory subsystem.

It seems that the newly introduced DRS barely engages he only found a dip to 2016P on XSX at worst (at 06:35).

That would be a big improvement because the previous patches implemented DRS that lowered the resolution quite a bit. Lots of people were complaining about how soft it was compared to the original native 4k versiom.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'll probably pick this up when I get a new PC. Still seems cpu intensive but higher frames in a game like this makes a big difference. Seems like it's a good brawler but still flawed.

Still it's pretty shocking how much of a downgrade this is compared to Arkham Knight. The indoor sections seems higher quality compared to the open world. This team probably should've cut their teeth on something smaller scale like an Arkham Asylum type game before going fully open world.

Nydius

Sucks is pushing it.
No, it really isn't.

The game fucking sucks. It's the most bland, uninspired, game I've played since The Avengers. It doesn't know if it wants to be a live service or an RPG. It's swimming in idiotic currencies and upgrade materials, the latter of which is designed to make you waste copious amounts of time "crafting" bullshit to get minimal upgrades to your gear. Over, and over, and over again. The AI is braindead as fuck, the side missions are horrid (especially the bomb rescue ones), having to grind each character to unlock their basic ass traversal methods is shitty. The city is lifeless, the few cars you see driving around are boxes with wheels.

The game sucks.
That's not pushing anything.
That's truth.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I got this Christmas and I surprisingly enjoyed myself with it.
Although I did just pretend it was a Batgirl Game. 😏
ZcKVR2y.jpg

Anyway, it's definitely better then that shit Rocksteady are shitting out.
And a lot of it's criticism is hyperbolic, which seems to be theme these days to the point of absurdity.

Eotheod

Sweet, maybe they've fixed the camera locking when sprinting! Liking it so far, world is rather well built and though I typically play Batgirl the character variations are fun. If you detach yourself from wanting another Batman game, which this very much never was going to be, it's great.

Better than what Suicide Squad looks like at least.

The sad issue with modern gamer? How do you check if you like a game, check IGN reviews, the behind the box to see 3 still photos of the game or just buy it because you were fan of the comics and it must be good? I go to check gameplay videos of every game that does not have demo to see if i like the gameplay and then i buy it. Like i bought Elder Ring or God of War etc.
It's beyond pathetic. It's like reviewing a car without actually driving it or a film, without actually watching it.
I've no issue, with people saying a trailer for a game, put them off or a style of game, isn't for them.

In the social media age, we now have people slagging off games they've never played, and systems they've never owned and jumping on the hate bandwagon that trends on the likes of Twitter.
Can I be in the 'hate' gang, please? I've haven't a mind of my own and want to be part of a group or worse still, judge a game by someone else playing it on YouTube

I have the game and its not bad at all, not brilliant but average and fun in parts

Last edited:
It's beyond pathetic. It's like reviewing a car without actually driving it or a film, without actually watching it.
I've no issue, with people saying a trailer for a game, put them off or a style of game, isn't for them.

In the social media age, we now have people slagging off games they've never played, and systems they've never owned and jumping on the hate bandwagon that trends on the likes of Twitter.
Can I be in the 'hate' gang, please? I've haven't a mind of my own and want to be part of a group or worse still, judge a game by someone else playing it on YouTube

I have the game and its not bad at all, not brilliant but average and fun in parts
Your analogy of car is wrong because when you want to buy a car you can test drive it couple times before you buy it. A movie though, if you see the trailer and nothing from the trailer is of your interest why to go to the movies and waste your time (precious) and money to see something you are not interested?

Now about the second part it has nothing to do with the first part, if you don't like something even without trying it, it does not mean you have to join a hate club. What kind of thought process is that?

Lysandros

I am starting to think that the PS5 is slightly more powerful than the Series X. That’s the only thing that can explain why PS5 is constantly outperforming the Series X for these 3rd party games.

Please don’t bring up the console war nonsense I own and play on both but this trend has me really confused because I prefer using my Series X for most 3rd games.
It's refreshing to see this kind of open-mindness, that's a rare occurence in this context.

Banned

PS5 is the lead console, it gets more attention by developers because games sell better on it.

both consoles are very close in terms of power, which is why, unlike the One X, the Series X can't brute force its way to better performance, even tho it's more powerful.

all you have to do is look at the last gen PS4 Pro vs One X situation to see that even a console that's way more powerful isn't save from neglect.

it was not rare to see One X and PS4 Pro version being very close to each other in terms of graphics and performance, even tho the hardware of the One X should have technically outperformed the Pro in every imaginable way and by a good margin.

yet games like Ace Combat exist, that literally runs worse on the One X than on the Pro.
same resolution, same graphics settings, better performance on Pro.

imagine the same teams made this same game on PS5 and Series X, with the same attention given to these consoles as their predecessors.
the Series X version would be a disaster in this scenario, and it has nothing to do with the hardware.

Last edited:

onQ123

PS5 is the lead console, it gets more attention by developers because games sell better on it.

both consoles are very close in terms of power, which is why, unlike the One X, the Series X can't brute force its way to better performance, even tho it's more powerful.

all you have to do is look at the last gen PS4 Pro vs One X situation to see that even a console that's way more powerful isn't save from neglect.

it was not rare to see One X and PS4 Pro version being very close to each other in terms of graphics and performance, even tho the hardware of the One X should have technically outperformed the Pro in every imaginable way and by a good margin.

yet games like Ace Combat exist, that literally runs worse on the One X than on the Pro.
same resolution, same graphics settings, better performance on Pro.

imagine the same teams made this same game on PS5 and Series X, with the same attention given to these consoles as their predecessors.
the Series X version would be a disaster in this scenario, and it has nothing to do with the hardware.

You're pushing the more love & time BS in a thread about a game that's been patched over & over again months after release? 😂

PS5 has hardware advantages & PS4 Pro also had hardware advantages but Xbox One X came out a year later with bigger advantages like 12GB of faster memory so showing PS4 Pro advantages wasn't easy.

My threads could have saved some of you heartbreak and confusion

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Just started playing this and it's astonishing to me that the current gen consoles struggle with 60fps so much. I get that there's a lot that goes on under the hood and especially for a co-op title I can imagine it not to be as straight forward as we'd like to think but man... playing this on 4K with a rock solid 60fps, no stutters and RT enabled (on an AMD card no less!) makes me glad I sold off my Series X in favour of a new PC instead.

I'm kinda tempted to get this now but I'm sure it's not worth it.

$27.99 on sale right now though...
I got it at 16eu on Steam and I can't imagine it not being worth it at that price point. If anything to kick some ass as Batgirl hah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom