• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: They Fixed Gotham Knights! DF Tech Re-Review - PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PC Re-Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Lambasted at launch owing to its various tech problems - along with unflattering comparisons against Arkham Knight - Warner Bros' Gotham Knights didn't fare too well in the DF Tech Review. However, let's give credit where it's due. All versions of the game have been overhauled and there's a night and day improvement in the game up against the launch code. We don't often do re-reviews - we just don't have the time - but in the case of Gotham Knights, it's worth it.

00:00 Overview
01:05 Console performance
05:42 Console optimizations and visual changes
07:53 PC performance
09:50 Visual features postmortem
14:09 Conclusion

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
  • Performance issues have been largely cleaned up
  • Interior and exterior sections now mostly lock to 30fps aside from an hitch here and there
  • PS5 is a bit better than the Xbox consoles which exhibit the same issues, they seem to have more frequent traversal stutters that result in spikes
  • Dynamic resolution has been engaged according to the patch notes. SX has been noticed to drop to 2016p in intense scenes. PS5 remains at 4K.
  • No 60fps option on consoles
  • PC version has been dramatically improved as well with their 2060S seeing fps improvements in the 10-15fps range
  • PC and Xbox exhibit weird issues when it comes to animations during cutscenes
  • Mainstream rigs are out of luck for 60fps, the 2060S+3600 doesn't come all that close even with DLSS balanced
  • Still is CPU-bound but much less so than before. A 4090 at max settings and DLSS Quality runs at 100fps at 4K
  • Overall, massive improvement on all platforms
  • Game still sucks

Last edited:

Bojji

• Game still sucks

disgusted-dog.gif

The sad issue with the Modern gamer. I'll watch it on Youtube
The sad issue with modern gamer? How do you check if you like a game, check IGN reviews, the behind the box to see 3 still photos of the game or just buy it because you were fan of the comics and it must be good? I go to check gameplay videos of every game that does not have demo to see if i like the gameplay and then i buy it. Like i bought Elder Ring or God of War etc.

gothmog

Gold Member
I got it for my son for $30 but there's just too many other games to play. I will probably reinstall it on PS5 this weekend to see if the improvements gets me to put more than a half hour or so into it. First mission didn't exactly pull me in.

I am not sure how I feel about this. Still no 60fps option? sure, it's heavy even on beefy PCs, but visually, I am not seeing anything ground breaking.

What has WB Games Montréal done of note? I am not trying to bag on them, but it seems like they need to spend extra time/focus Unreal Engine optimization, tweaks, etc.

Having to optimize for Series S probably isn't doing the Series X any favors here.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • Interior and exterior sections now mostly lock to 30fps aside from an hitch here and there
  • PS5 is a bit better than the Xbox consoles which exhibit the same issues, they seem to have more frequent traversal stutters that result in spikes
  • Dynamic resolution has been engaged according to the patch notes but they could not spot where
  • PC version has been dramatically improved as well with their 2060S seeing fps improvements in the 10-15fps range
  • Mainstream rigs are out of luck for 60fps, the 2060S+3600 doesn't come all that close even with DLSS balanced
  • Still is CPU-bound but much less so than before. A 4090 at max settings and DLSS Quality runs at 100fps at 4K
  • Game still sucks
Digital Foundry did detect the DRS on Series X. It goes from 2160p to 2016p. PS5 sticks to full 4K.

(the following tweet has a 10-second cut clip from Digital Foundry that shows it).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am not sure how I feel about this. Still no 60fps option? sure, it's heavy even on beefy PCs, but visually, I am not seeing anything ground breaking.

What has WB Games Montréal done of note? I am not trying to bag on them, but it seems like they need to spend extra time/focus Unreal Engine optimization, tweaks, etc.

Having to optimize for Series S probably isn't doing the Series X any favors here.
Coop.

On PC the game tops out gpu usage at 50%. Same thing is happening on consoles.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The patch notes mention DRS for all platforms, so it's very likely they all have at some point or another depending on load.
Maybe, but DF didn't detect any on PS5 or Series S. But did in the case of Series X.

"PS5 and Series S both clocked at the same resolution as before in every shot I tested, while Series X reached a low of 2016p at worst."

Imtjnotu

• Dynamic resolution has been engaged according to the patch notes but they could not spot where
  • Game still sucks
how dare you take adamsapple adamsapple job

adamsapple

Maybe, but DF didn't detect any on PS5 or Series S. But did in the case of Series X.

"PS5 and Series S both clocked at the same resolution as before in every shot I tested, while Series X reached a low of 2016p at worst."

In their captured sample, yes. Oliver didn't cover the entire game, and the functionality has been added to all platforms as needed now. Anyway, it's a drop 2160p to 2016p, pretty minuscule.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In their captured sample, yes. Oliver didn't cover the entire game, and the functionality has been added to all platforms as needed now. Anyway, it's a drop 2160p to 2016p, pretty minuscule.
I mean, Digital Foundry NEVER plays and covers the entire game. Odd to even bring up that point.

But they test all consoles on the same scenes and detect if one console drops resolution in heavy scenes when it gets GPU, CPU, or memory bound. In this case, Series X dropped, but PS5 and Series S did not.

adamsapple

I mean, Digital Foundry NEVER plays and covers the entire game. Odd to even bring up that point.

But they test all consoles on the same scenes and detect if one console drops resolution in heavy scenes when it gets GPU, CPU, or memory bound. In this case, Series X dropped, but PS5 and Series S did not.

So much for Series S holding back the generation :messenger_beaming:

Also, the D in DRS is called dynamic for a reason.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

DRS difference is so close here I personally would chalk it up to noise and limited sampling. However, the loading/traversal frame drops on Series consoles are another story.

oji-san

Banned
My RX 590 can run it at 1440 60fps with FSR 2, I guess they don't care about the console version to be on par with most games this gen.

Stuart360

I know it's been talked to death when the game came out, but maybe with this extra bit of optimization, and an implementation of DRS, they could possibly now release a future patch with 60fps target?
My PC is similar level to XSX/PS5 (3700x, 32gb ram, 1080ti), and i can get 60fps. problem is it dops into the 50's A LOT, even into the 40's sometimes as well.
Judging from Rivatuner, it seems to be cpu related more than gpu related, and the consoles have a much lower clocked 3700X than mine, so i guess they just didnt want to release the game with the framerate constantly in the 40's and 50's.

Edit. I'm talking about at the games launch by the way, i havent played it since any patches.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Yeah performance was mostly fixed two weeks after release, then they released another good performance patch in december and it didn't seem like it could get any better, but the latest patch is almost like a miracle patch, doubling RT performance even.

PS5 is a bit better than the Xbox consoles which exhibit the same issues, they seem to have more frequent traversal stutters that result in spikes
I am starting to think that the PS5 is slightly more powerful than the Series X. That’s the only thing that can explain why PS5 is constantly outperforming the Series X for these 3rd party games.

Please don’t bring up the console war nonsense I own and play on both but this trend has me really confused because I prefer using my Series X for most 3rd games.

I am starting to think that the PS5 is slightly more powerful than the Series X. That’s the only thing that can explain why PS5 is constantly outperforming the Series X for these 3rd party games.

Please don’t bring up the console war nonsense I own and play on both but this trend has me really confused because I prefer using my Series X for most 3rd games.

Maybe with certain work loads. The XSX performs better with others.

Top Bottom