• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] The Witcher 3: PS5/Series X/S/PC Patch 4.01 Tested! Better RT Perf But Console 60FPS Suffers

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

An all-in-one look at the latest patch 4.01 for The Witcher 3, where RTXGI optimisations promise to improve the frame-rate on console and PC. However, certain issues remain - like the shader compilation stutters on PC - while PS5 and Series X's 60fps performance mode takes a step back.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How the fuck did they end up making the performance mode worse lol, this is a terrible patch for people who were playing the game in the Performance mode.

That should be the end of the story but it's not because bafflingly, the 60fps performance mode is now noticeably slower on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

Series X:
Starting off with Series X as an example, our Novigrad test run shows a drop by as much as eight or nine frames per second on the new patch. For the entire route, by foot or horseback, the drop-off is impossible to ignore now. Frustratingly, in many areas where 60fps was possible at launch on Series X, it's now closer to the 50fps line.

PS5:
The problem remains areas outside the city: where our representative battle with the bandits now runs at a significantly lower frame-rate - by as much as 10fps. Even simple horseback routes in the countryside take a hit to the mid-50s, where before PS5 was a locked 60fps. Patch 4.01 genuinely downgrades the frame-rate, and we lose ground - even in cutscenes. So yes, if you've noticed your frame-rate dropping since the patch, you're not mistaken.

Do not update to 4.01.

Last edited:

Jaybe

80iWNpq.jpg

Umbasaborne

Banned
Like i said rt on a console with first gen rt from amd is a joke.
I think consoles should just give up on rt and focus on other areas where they are strong. I think they need at least one more generation to get to where the best pc gpu’s are regarding ray tracing capabilities, unless its in scenario where its highly controlled like ratchet and clank rift apart or gt 7’s replays

Umbasaborne

Banned
7zZd2if.jpg

twitter folks are insane😬🤣
Who cares if they dont want to cover it. Df are good folks and they do not deserve this level of harrassment. If i was john i would have exploded as well. They’ve always done good work, leave them out if this culture war bullshit. If they dont feel they can cover it without a political slant then good they shouldnt. I respect that choice, same with gamespot and waypoint. Its better the wildly unprofessional shit wired pulled.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
I think consoles should just give up on rt and focus on other areas where they are strong. I think they need at least one more generation to get to where the best pc gpu’s are regarding ray tracing capabilities, unless its in scenario where its highly controlled like ratchet and clank rift apart or gt 7’s replays
Yes. Rt if we are at 6900xt level okay but not a freaking 6700/6650xt. Ill take the resolution or fps bump any time of the day vs rt and 300ms inputlag

Freeza93

Banned
Who cares if they dont want to cover it. Df are good folks and they do not deserve this level of harrassment. If i was john i would have exploded as well. They’ve always done good work, leave them out if this culture war bullshit
i really dont care its funny to me nothing more. If he cant stay professional. Maybe he should do something else. Hes a public person and the internet never forgets. Especially in this meme age.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Yes but then youll have warriors complaining. RT should remain pc exclusive until next gen or until consoles are refreshed.

Id take the resolution and performance bump on every single game instead.

Last edited:

sachos

Kinda off topic but anyone else find the way camera moves in Witcher 3 to be annoying/distracting? It seems like the camera follow speed is tied to Geralt running animation so each time he takes a stride while running you get a sudden acceleration of the camera, in real time it looks like the camera is constantly accelerating and slowing down while you run.
Its easy to see here in slow motion (3:27) but you can see it any time you run with Geralt.

TexMex

Twitter but he deleted it, yesterday. He had a small meltdown.

He actually does frequently. He is 100% mentally unstable. Hope someone is checking on him.

And for everyone else, no one disagrees that they can cover whatever they want on their own site. It’s that there’s one obvious reason they aren’t for this, and people find it ridiculous.

Personally I just wish they’d own it outright. His tweet is ridiculous because, as pointed out, he covers open world games all the time. He covers games explicitly aimed at children, all the time. If you want to take part in the culture war over this game for some dumb fucking reason, at least lean into it a bit.

Freeza93

Banned
He actually does frequently. He is 100% mentally unstable. Hope someone is checking on him.

And for everyone else, no one disagrees that they can cover whatever they want on their own site. It’s that there’s one obvious reason they aren’t for this, and people find it ridiculous.

Personally I just wish they’d own it outright. His tweet is ridiculous because, as pointed out, he covers open world games all the time. He covers games explicitly aimed at children, all the time. If you want to take part in the culture war over this game for some dumb fucking reason, at least lean into it a bit.
Ppl should stop being weak

Arioco

How the hell did they manage to ruin the performance mode without upgrading any setting at all? It's must've been really difficult.

Filben

Yeah. This is such a weird situation altogether. First, people rant if someone covers something the person doing it isn't either qualified or well-suited for. Now people rant when he only and literal said that he isn't going to cover it; no reasons given and not saying DF isn't covering it.

Then, on the other hand, it's as you said. He covered Fortnite quite much with the latest Lumen update. If that's not children bullshit than I don't KNOW. He covered Spider Man (on the Steam Deck) IIRC which is open world.

Okay, I get it, maybe it was just his job and he didn't enjoy it, we never know. But he could have done the tweet without calling it bullshit.

If you're long enough on twitter you WILL explode like this. So why are people still using these platforms? Do you want to get a stroke? Do you want the harasment? Do like having every tweet screenahoted for eternity so someone can come. out of the woodworks ten years later and point out what an ass you were being ten fucking years ago and even have the potential to ruin your career?

Why are people still using this corporation infested platform? Just stop.

Last edited:
Yes. Rt if we are at 6900xt level okay but not a freaking 6700/6650xt. Ill take the resolution or fps bump any time of the day vs rt and 300ms inputlag
I hate to admit it, only having the two new consoles, but yeah it would be for the better

For example gta v remastered- game looks like shit at 1440p/60/ with "ray tracing". I'd rather 1440p/60 with some actual decent graphics settings.

They have to tone down basic shit like anisotropic filtering, lods, etc just to get some shitty rt shadows in that game. It sucks

How on earth did they muck up the performance mode? I love cd project but they really don’t learn from their mistakes. They announced this remaster over two years ago and it still wasn’t ready when it was released.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
i really dont care its funny to me nothing more. If he cant stay professional. Maybe he should do something else. Hes a public person and the internet never forgets. Especially in this meme age.
Maybe we should do opposite day and do the same to unprofessional posters and lambast them at every word.

And then doing that for years on end.

See how long it takes you to act differently.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Not sure I can trust this particular youtube channel.
They seem to lack integrity.
Nope... don't do that. I actually respect them for sticking to their guns. Although I feel they should have kept the drama separate from the technology as that is what their site is about, but standing by their beliefs actually speaks to their integrity. As opposed to some other joke site that would give it a bad review of 1.

I don't agree with what they have done, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

On topic, I am beginning to question the technical prowess of CDPR.

Like i said rt on a console with first gen rt from amd is a joke.
Insomniacs and even guardians of the Galaxy devs say otherwise. It can be done and done right.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
Nope... don't do that. I actually respect them for sticking to their guns. Although I feel they should have kept the drama separate from the technology as that is what their site is about, but standing by their beliefs actually speaks to their integrity. As opposed to some other joke site that would give it a bad review of 1.

I don't agree with what they have done, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

On topic, I am beginning to question the technical prowess of CDPR.

Insomniacs and even guardians of the Galaxy devs say otherwise. It can be done and done right.
That minimal bulshit? You ewouldnt even know what rt is if done right with traditional techniques. Ridiculous. Rt sucks on gpus 6 time as fast and 20 times rt perf. Dont make me laugh. I like consoles but rt is a joke on it. I even think its still gimmick on pc for 95% of the time

Top Bottom