• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Tech Review: Resident Evil 4 Remake PC - It's Got Issues - Optimised Settings -

Draugoth

Gold Member

Unwelcome image quality problems, crashing issues, texture oddities, continual problems with RT features... there's so much to enjoy with the PC port of Resident Evil 4 Remake, but basic technical challenges facing the RE Engine still need to be addressed - despite the community (and DF!) pushing for them for years now. Alex Battaglia reports.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:00:47 Graphical Options and Image Quality
00:04:39 Why is RE4 Remake crashing?
00:07:30 Alex's Optimised Settings
00:13:36 Traversal Hitching and Performance
00:14:54 Conclusion

Last edited:

hlm666

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
tl;dr dont use max shadows. They are broken and offer no visual difference besides high vram usage which the game shows you and its a performance hog. Shocking. Not. I mean, when were shadows in gaming EVER worth puting on max? I remember when we first got dynamic shadows, games would crawl to low 20's, hell even if you boot up an old game like Borderlands 2, ull notice shadows destroying modern gpus. NEVER EVER max shadows in any game. And as expected another game with tacked on cheap RT. I noticed this when I first started playing it and I just disabled that shit right away. I mean why would U even use reflections in a game where theres like 5% of reflective surfaces lmao? Just to look at some puddles?

Other than RT and max shadows, I had no issues with the game. Absolute perfect, no crashes, 0 issues.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I ran it with everything cranked to Max and RT and it barely dropped a frame from native 4k/120

RE Engine rules. I hope they sort out their VRAM crash situation but this game shines on top end hardware.

Killer8

That trial and error section in the video to solve the game crashing is exactly the reason I now say fuck it to most PC releases and went with PS5. Embarrassing level of incompetence from this industry. I spend years doing QA work and would rather not have to do that job in my own time with products I paid for.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DF way too late on this. Most people already beat the game. it sold 3 million in 2 days. the people who care about this shit and watch DF for optimized settings have all likely beaten it by now.

To me the demo confirmed that RT was not worth it. I ran it at native 4k 60 fps on my 3080 at max settings from day one. Then thanks to another youtubers optimization settings, i even set the textures to 8GB without crashing on my 10 GB card and was able to set hair strands to max towards the end of the game with no hit to performance.

Hair looks amazing on PC at high settings. way better than it does on PS5. Definitely turn that on.

Top Bottom