• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Super Mario 3D Worlds Review - AKA What's up with the Switch Version?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
One of the best platformers of all time running in a higher resolution with a 3-6 hour bonus area.... I'm in.

Mozza

While I have no issues with Digital Foundry on the whole, half of the stuff they point out would not be apparent, if they had not initially mentioned it, I get they have to drill down to the finer points of performance, but it's just not important for the wider audience that will buy this game, and as the channel only has around a million subscriptions, most will be unaware these minor issues exist in the first place.

Awesome game in it's own right, with an awesome bonus thrown in, day one for me.

Last edited:

Synless

Also runs at a locked 60fps in docked and portable for SM3DW
It better, it was 60fps on the Wii U. Anything less would have been a lazy as shit port. I’m excited to go through this again with my youngest kid.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

While I have no issues with Digital Foundry on the whole, half of the stuff they point out would not be apparent, if they had not initially mentioned it, I get they have to drill down to the finer points of performance, but it's just not important for the wider audience that will buy this game, and as the channel only has around a million subscriptions, most will be unaware these minor issues exist in the first place.

Awesome game in it's own right, with an awesome bonus thrown in, day on for me.
Didn't watch the video for fear of spoilers of Bowser's Fury, but this is what I took away from it as well from reading the summary.

Big "nothing burger", in other words.

Golgo 13

how long is Bowser's Fury?
3-6 hours depending on your desire for %100 completion. I always find these estimates kinda lame though, I think it also highly depends on your skill level and your tendency to explore in games like this. A journalist powering through it for a deadline or to post impressions before anyone else won’t give an accurate estimate to an average users experience , many times.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dynamic resolution, DRS and reconstruct are super fine, but you need to understand one thing. They don't make miracles. If the native resolution is lower sure the job need to be done will be greater, will require more resources.

I not saying this technique was used in good faction, but at least Nintendo is start to using. With time and more learn, they can master this and reduce the time making games.

I guess is because Nintendo is so fucking late to the party. Thats why Nintendo should seek Nvidia DLSS.
That I can agree with. Dlss 2.0 is almost there, just a bit of issue with particles and small small details. A 3rd version for the switch 2 would be perfect.
DLSS isnt free guys. It uses tensor cores which take up space on the GPU die. See below.

14040033329l.jpg

Could Nintendo make the determination that an extra 10-20% space reserved for tensor core give them an additional 100% in performance? Sure, but this is Nintendo we are talking about. And a Nintendo that is shackled by having to release a handheld with a TDP of 15w.

e&e

Banned
Wife and I finishing up NSMBU, currently on Star Levels. Looking forward to jumping into this for the first time. Side Note: 3D collection is on sale at BestBuy, get it before it’s gone!

Fake

DLSS isnt free guys. It uses tensor cores which take up space on the GPU die. See below.

14040033329l.jpg

Could Nintendo make the determination that an extra 10-20% space reserved for tensor core give them an additional 100% in performance? Sure, but this is Nintendo we are talking about. And a Nintendo that is shackled by having to release a handheld with a TDP of 15w.

Well, better than forced into a huge hadware bump. Solutions in this case are better than getting a powerful chip with can generate heat, increase the console size, more noise, etc...

Cyberpunkd

Awesome game in it's own right, with an awesome bonus thrown in, day one for me.
Yeah, it's always funny when they do Switch game analysis - we know it will run at sub-1080p, with less in handheld mode. Nobody cares, people will have crazy amounts of fun.

14040033329l.jpg

It really just depends on what Nvidia has available in the mobile space at the time. Considering a dlss 3.0 could make a game 4x as sharp for the price of some extra die space... yes it's worth it, even if the cuda cores / clockspeed bump over Tegra X1 in switch is less of a bump than it would have been.

Nvidia isn't going to make chips without rt and tensor cores in the future, so if they have an off the shelf part available for Nintendo, they'll use it. Call me cautiously optimistic they'll have it.

It would be a shame if it doesn't happen. Basically Nintendo could render games at 1080p then get native 4k esque final output, or it could allow developers to port a super demanding game at 540p/720p and still get reasonable image quality. Or Nintendo could do some crazy stuff at lower internal resolutions as well.

Last edited:

martino

14040033329l.jpg

For same space wouldn't those 10-20% get you "more performance" back than if you spend them on shader ?

Last edited:
The WiiU version is easily one of the best Mario titles, by any standard. It like a perfect blend of Mario 3, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. Tons of fun, you and the kids will love it.

Nice description. And you forgot Super Mario Bros. 2, as well. (4 characters with different platforming characteristics...)

WiiU version is coop available from the start. I highly doubt they changed it for the Switch version. The game begins with all 4 characters jumping into a pipe after Bowser steals a fairy. Everyone is in on the adventure from the get go.
Again you're correct about it. Just wanted to add: there's a 5th unlockable character. I won't spoil it for those who haven't played the game :messenger_grinning:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oh, this uprezzed port of a 3DS game is getting uprezzed again? You people really like getting it in the ass from Nintendo again and again, don’t you?

/internet idiots from when 3D World was first announced.

If 30fps Mario isn’t a sign of a better-specced Switch coming, I don’t know what is at this point.
Very interested in Bowser’s Fury, but paying full price just for that (I have the game on WiiU)... eh.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nice description. And you forgot Super Mario Bros. 2, as well. (4 characters with different platforming characteristics...)

Again you're correct about it. Just wanted to add: there's a 5th unlockable character. I won't spoil it for those who haven't played the game :messenger_grinning:
Oh snap, had no idea about an unlockable character and yes, totally spot on with Mario 2. Never thought of that before.

Xdrive05

That I can agree with. Dlss 2.0 is almost there, just a bit of issue with particles and small small details. A 3rd version for the switch 2 would be perfect.

This is the truth.

Whatever Nintendo does for their next hardware, whether it's an all new Switch 2.0, or it's just a pro model of the same generation, that thing HAS to use DLSS.

Also, that's the one way that they can have their much speculated "4K" Switch after all.

Top Bottom