• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Super Mario 3D Worlds Review - AKA What's up with the Switch Version?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

200.gif

Summary courtesy of Xdrive05 Xdrive05 The greatest gaffer in this thread. So far.

• SM3DW: Better (and variable) resolution than Wii-U version.
  • SM3DW: Some minor visual artifacting & shimmering (reconstruction probably, and a shadow glitch in one part)
  • SM3DW: Movement speed increase is welcomed and speeds up play.
  • SM3DW: Photo mode uses substantially higher settings (like resolution and shadow quality), but slows to a chunky framerate.
  • SM3DW: Otherwise perfectly faithful port.
  • Bowser's Fury: Experimental open world design is interesting. Fun new ideas and probably hints toward future of Mario platformers.
  • Bowser's Fury: Music is fantastic.
  • Bowser's Fury: Has some framerate hitching when streaming assets as you move through the open world.
  • Bowser's Fury: Has a few spots of slowdown when things get crazy (seems to be pushing Switch to the limit).
  • Bowser's Fury: Runs at 30fps only in handheld mode.
  • Bowser's Fury: Also, runs at 720p dynamic res when docked, but never reaching 800p (iirc).

Last edited:

Xdrive05

• SM3DW: Some minor visual artifacting & shimmering (reconstruction probably, and a shadow glitch in one part)
  • SM3DW: Photo mode uses substantially higher settings (like resolution and shadow quality), but slows to a chunky framerate.
  • Bowser's Fury: Experimental open world design is interesting. Fun new ideas and probably hints toward future of Mario platformers.
  • Bowser's Fury: Has some framerate hitching when streaming assets as you move through the open world.
  • Bowser's Fury: Has a few spots of slowdown when things get crazy (seems to be pushing Switch to the limit).
  • Bowser's Fury: Also, runs at 720p dynamic res when docked, but never reaching 800p (iirc).

Last edited:

Codes 208

Also runs at a locked 60fps in docked and portable for SM3DW

Xdrive05

This looks like a great purchase with Bowser's Fury included. Nintendo gets a bad rap for re-selling old games at full price. But in this case we ought to celebrate (and ENCOURAGE THEM!) to do more intentional value adds like this.

Fbh

Seems decent enough. At least the added content looks nice unlike some of the other ports.

Does this game allow local coop from the Start or is it one of those annoying games that force you to play up to a certain section to unlock coop?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This looks like a great purchase with Bowser's Fury included. Nintendo gets a bad rap for re-selling old games at full price. But in this case we ought to celebrate (and ENCOURAGE THEM!) to do more intentional value adds like this.
how long is Bowser's Fury?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Seems decent enough. At least the added content looks nice unlike some of the other ports.

Does this game allow local coop from the Start or is it one of those annoying games that force you to play up to a certain section to unlock coop?
WiiU version is coop available from the start. I highly doubt they changed it for the Switch version. The game begins with all 4 characters jumping into a pipe after Bowser steals a fairy. Everyone is in on the adventure from the get go.

Reactions: Fbh

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hope it's better than Odyssey
If you're like me, you'll really enjoy it. I played it on the WiiU when it first released and then started it up again a few months back with my wife. We love it. She also picked up Odyssey and I actually wasn't too keen on it. Odyssey is clearly a good game but it just didn't do much for me. I much prefer 3D World. Glad that it's available for other people to enjoy.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
My 5 yeard old has been working his ass off to save money for this game. He woke my wife up at 6am this morning so he could clean his room before Kindergarten to make 5 more dollars. You should have seen his face after when she told him she didnt have cash on her and she would pay him after school. He was pissed!

Xdrive05

My 5 yeard old has been working his ass off to save money for this game. He woke my wife up at 6am this morning so he could clean his room before Kindergarten to make 5 more dollars. You should have seen his face after when she told him she didnt have cash on her and she would pay him after school. He was pissed!

Who wants to play mario at 30fps lol, switch lite owners are srewed lol. Played a little browsers fury, very clean 720p, thought it was 1080p lol, very good single player mario dlc game,

Last edited:
Wow, the base game looks worse on switch ; not surprising considering ports like DK, pikmin, w101 cappy toad etc.

Bowsers fury looks nice though, can't wait. I'd just play the og on wii u though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, the base game looks worse on switch ; not surprising considering ports like DK, pikmin, w101 cappy toad etc.
Wait, am I missing something? Aside from the “interlace” flicker that seems imperceptible in motion and that one weird shadow glitch, isn’t this getting a full bump to 1080p?

Also, I’m not in the know - what’s wrong with DK, Pikmin, W101, etc.?

Fake

Bowsers fury looks nice though, can't wait. I'd just play the og on wii u though.

I guess is because was the time Wii U games was like Xbox 360/PS3 era when devs not normally use some sort of DRS or reconstruct techs, so they stick with native resolution and optimization.

Crysis PS360 use native resolution on the older consolers, but the recent remaster bring dynamic resolution. IMO is a good thing for Nintendo to learn using those techs.

Last edited:
Wait, am I missing something? Aside from the “interlace” flicker that seems imperceptible in motion and that one weird shadow glitch, isn’t this getting a full bump to 1080p?

Also, I’m not in the know - what’s wrong with DK, Pikmin, W101, etc.?
I could see the flicker the whole time (well not always but on certain shots, plus it's youtube video) I was watching, and honestly due to the nature of the kind of halos over the characters the resolution bump isn't as impactful as it should be. On some comparison shots I even thought Wii U looked sharper. Glitches + flicker does not equal better, it's worse. I mean it's better than nothing if you don't have a Wii U, but.

Donkey kong runs at higher resolution but the lighting effects are borked and having played both the Wii U and Switch versions, the latter has some weird over used blur in some levels.

Wonderful 101 runs slower than the Wii U version, and lacks its gamepad features. Either play the original Wii U version or the Ps4 version.

Pikmin runs at the same resolution, but i've noticed borked shadows here and there and non existent/less effective anti aliasing. Not to mention no wii mote pointer controls.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You pay your son for cleaning his own room? Man, kids these days have it easy, I never got paid for that.

I guess is because was the time Wii U games was like Xbox 360/PS3 era when devs not normally use some sort of DRS or reconstruct techs, so they stick with native resolution and optimization.

Crysis PS360 use native resolution on the older consolers, but the recent remaster bring dynamic resolution. IMO is a good thing for Nintendo to learn using those techs.
Dynamic resolution is OK, this technique they're using isn't. Just should have kept it at native. The bandwidth between Wii U and switch is pretty comparable despite the latter having a significantly better gpu, so maybe this technique was a time saving measure. Oh well, i'm getting this at launch so i'll see how it looks on my tv.

But really I find it surprising just how many of these nintendo ports mess something up in translation... if it didn't come with a new game it would be laughable

Fake

Dynamic resolution is OK, this technique they're using isn't. Just should have kept it at native. The bandwidth between Wii U and switch is pretty comparable despite the latter having a significantly better gpu, so maybe this technique was a time saving measure. Oh well, i'm getting this at launch so i'll see how it looks on my tv.

But really I find it surprising just how many of these nintendo ports mess something up in translation... if it didn't come with a new game it would be laughable

Dynamic resolution, DRS and reconstruct are super fine, but you need to understand one thing. They don't make miracles. If the native resolution is lower sure the job need to be done will be greater, will require more resources.

I not saying this technique was used in good faction, but at least Nintendo is start to using. With time and more learn, they can master this and reduce the time making games.

I guess is because Nintendo is so fucking late to the party. Thats why Nintendo should seek Nvidia DLSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom