• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "Since Half: Alyux..... [market] still produces "VR shovelware" - Can PSVR2 do any better in the long run? [VIDEO]

They've stated they will have 20+ launch titles and have only officially announced a few so far. The rest have been developer or publisher announcements or reveals.

But they haven't had their main PSVR2 showcase yet, so no need to worry. Hopefully it will be next month.

Don't give me hope.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Isn't every platform flooded with shovel ware? Hardly exclusive to VR.
Plus there are plenty of polished games on VR they just are not visual spectacles due to the hardware being mobile tech trying to push 4k. Something like walk-around golf isn't 'carnival games' level shovelware, but it has that level of visuals.
On the PC side though there are plenty of games with spectacular visuals with VR support either native or modded in.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
VR will not become popular until we get AAA studios to start putting all of their budget and resources into creating bigger, more marketable games.
It's why i'm so enthusastic about PSVR2. If Sony, the literal market leader of the gaming industry, can't get VR into the mainstream, there's no hope

Reallink

Sony's commitment to PSVR2 is a Horizon spinoff from a developer whose sole claim to fame is a mediocre Deadspace rouge-like, DLC for a (then) 2-3 year old Resident Evil, and a sizzle reel of Quest 2 ports. All available evidence points to PSVR2 being even more half assed and "Vita'ed" than PSVR1 from a software support perspective

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sony's commitment to PSVR2 is a Horizon spinoff from the developer whose sole claim to fame is a mediocre Deadspace rouge-like, DLC for a (then) 2-3 year old Resident Evil, and a a sizzle reel of Quest 2 ports. All available evidence points to PSVR2 being even more half assed and "Vita'ed" than PSVR1.
as opposed to PSVR1 where there was literally no first party title on the system..? it's an improvement, a significant one at that

Reallink

as opposed to PSVR1 where there was literally no first party title on the system..? it's an improvement, a significant one at that
They've seemingly traded a variety of smaller first party offerings (Rigs, Rush of Blood, Drive Club) and some Sony funded third party's (RE7, Batman), for a single game of wholly unknown quality and caliber that may or may not be as substantial as people are hoping. If Horizon turns out to be a few hours of on-rails mediocrity there's gonna be a lot of disappointment to go around. A substantial improvement would have been putting one of their AAA-teams on a preeminent launch title, not Firesprite.

Last edited:

onesvenus

They already shown multiple 1s and 3rd party AAA games for PSVR2 like Horizon CoM, RE Village, RE4 Remake, Call of Duty MWII or No Man's Sky
Love how fast you are declaring all those games as AAA. From those only RE and NMS will be the whole "flat" games being playable in VR. MW2 is a single mode that we don't know almost anything about, it could be a gimmick. And no, using Horizon IP doesn't make a VR game AAA.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The VR platforms don't have faith in there current VR products because if they did they would invest in system sellers. Like they do with consoles.

TonyK

I think VR is and it will be dead (except for a niche fans) for the same reason 3D cinema and 3D TVs failed: wearing something in the face is less comfortable than watching a regular screen. You get used to VR immersion, and then it loses the WOW factor, but a lot of people can't get used to discomfort.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Vr will always be a niche.

Psvr didn't change the scenario, and Psvr 2 won't either.

I remember when Psvr released in here that it would be mainstream, but never didn't and they were shocked.

Psvr wont be different. Price point would probably be even higher and there's really no great games besides alyx.

Griffon

Don't forget people, the current devs that got hard into VR are either mobile devs or C-teams made of interns. There is no talent to be found here.

Alyx is what happens when you put good devs on the job, but those efforts are few and far between.

Can and will VR eventually succeed with quality games? I think so, but it will take a few years and a few breakthrough hits. It is not a hardware problem anymore (Quest 2 can do plenty), it's a software and design issue.

And on the subject of PSVR2, I'm sorry guys but I think it will bomb horribly. Tethered VR to a very rare and expensive console is not gonna take off. Quest-type devices is the way to go.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

All you have to do to play VR is buy all the super expensive kit, then buy a huge middle class American suburban house to play it in without injuring yourself. Super low barrier to entry.

Last edited:

Leopold

All you have to do to play VR is buy all the super expensive kit, then buy a huge middle class American suburban house to play it in without injuring yourself. Super low barrier to entry.
Nah, I can play all standing games in a 6x6 room just fine.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think that’ll change any time soon. It’s a niche product. Always has been.

SCB3

"experiences" like NBA League Pass/NextVR/Oculus Venues is what is pushing VR to mainstream acceptance. You tell a NBA fan they can have a courtside seat to the Lakers with a $300 headset and they're sold. I have a friend who was hospitalized with COVID and he passed the time watching Lakers games on his Quest 2.
This, give me a WWE Wrestlemania or a pass to watch every Liverpool match from the stands in VR and I'll buy in day 1

Aside from those, every VR game I've played is fun for a quick go but nothing I want to spend a long time in with maybe RE7 being the 1 exception. I think Horror games gain the most from VR, Alien Isolation in VR would be incredible

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nope. PSVR2 is going to be fantastic.

More like people are trying to downplay it.

what makes you think it will be better from PSVR 1 in terms of games? yes the hardware will be streets ahead but there is a serious lack of AAA games on VR

The shark experience in VR Worlds is still my favourite moment in VR, which is the least gamey part of the package, but could have been an underwater lift ride in any adventure/shooter.

Sony needs to make VR mode mandatory for every game. And exclusive VR games shouldn't even be a thing. While mentioned shark dive is probably rather unexciting in flat, most VR enhanced stuff works just fine flat and vice versa.
Limiting your sales to a limited audience, make only VR, makes no sense for any game. RIGS and especially Starblood Arena crippled themselves, ST Bridge Crew at least realised a patch is a good idea... VR has to sell imho as an optional improvement, as the best display, maybe just cinema mode with foveated rendering could be the bare minimum, but for all games going forward instead of a rather limited number of games where then naturally only a few are actually awesome and then the incentive to even consider the plattform is smaller and you are again stuck at a fraction of the potential already in your "base" plattform invested customers. But plans seem to be again to have VR as a separate thing, with its own library. Imho just dumb self sabotage. At least Capcom seems to be converting some games just to be VR enabled, which would be the easiest way to have a big and fast growing library.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've been a VR enthusiast more or less since its birth, and I think that while PSVR2 is not bringing anything new to the table that can change the current VR scene when it comes to pushing and expanding current experiences I still need it to do well so that confidence in funding further development of experimental hardware and software is ensured for the future in f.ex. the high end PC sphere (not disregarding Quest which has been important for cordless).

I believe that for perhaps the next ten years mostly the only audience who's going to benefit from a sustained interest in VR in the long term is going to be those who enjoy seated / cockpit VR experiences like flight / space / racing simulations. For the rest it may continue to be a short term novel experience. If you expect something different and expanding on Alyx, I bet you'll be disappointed for a long time yet. VR desperately need some innovation and development for new technology to solve the locomotion challenge that still hasn't been solved very well. ..And of course form factor, which needs to reach light sunglasses level or similar.

With that said, I'm looking forward to see how Red Matter 2 and Hubris turns out.

Last edited:
WTF is this thread title.

Anyway, the biggest push for VR in the gaming section will be through PSVR2.
Modern Warfare 2 likely to be the very first AAA-title with full VR-support, exclusively for PSVR2.

Edit:

phil_t98 phil_t98

No idea why you're laughing, but afaik MW2 will be the first proper AAA-title with VR support and it has been announced as a PSVR2-exclusive feature.

Last edited:

yurinka

Love how fast you are declaring all those games as AAA. From those only RE and NMS will be the whole "flat" games being playable in VR. MW2 is a single mode that we don't know almost anything about, it could be a gimmick. And no, using Horizon IP doesn't make a VR game AAA.
They all have AAA visuals and are AAA games.

We saw gameplay of RE Village VR and no, it isn't just the "flat" game playable in VR. They shown in the video controls/animations and camera control that isn't the same than in the "flat" version.

There is a properly adapted version of RE4 for PC VR, the whole game. But unlike the PSVR2 version isn't made by Capcom and uses the PS2 port as source instead of the remade PS5 version.

Horizon also shown many VR-esque mechanics on footage. Regarding CoD we know it will have a PSVR2, we don't know if it will cover the whole game of if it's going to be a VR-only specific separate game mode.

Last edited:
If Sony doesn't make sure Half-Life Alyx is available for PSVR2 I'll lose all my faith in them in the VR space.

Last edited:

poppabk

Alien Isolation in VR would be incredible
It is.
Like I said earlier there are tons of games that work great in VR with fan made mods, and could be patched in to games very easily. But no-one us going to do that, they will try and charge a VR premium (ie close to full new game price for an old game). MS doesn't even make the VR versions of PC games available as an option in gamepass, you have to launch steamVR and them launch the game from gamepass to get the VR version.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I mean, you don't expect racing games to be made only for the racing wheels, you expect that every racing game support the racing wheel, though.

That's how you approach VR.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Valve should get on making more vr stuff honestly, they seem to be the one dev actively pushing to make VR as good as possible and it's working

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
PSVR2 will be a huge flop. Just makes no sense up against Quest. Also with the low install base of the hard to get PS5, how much investment do you think they will actually put into these games? It is going to be PlayStations Kinect.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PSVR2 will be a huge flop. Just makes no sense up against Quest. Also with the low install base of the hard to get PS5, how much investment do you think they will actually put into these games? It is going to be PlayStations Kinect.
That's why they will have it work with the PC also. ;)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The sad reality is that the only way to make money reliably with big budget VR titles is to develop them to work in both VR and non VR.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Love how fast you are declaring all those games as AAA.
I mean if you use the 'flat games' as measuring stick - nothing 'built for VR' is going to be 'AAA' any time soon (nor has anything been to date), because noone will put 100M budget on a VR exclusive.
Applying some reasonable scaling based on respective market sizes, we'd probably be looking more in the 5-10M budget range for VR 'AAA's though (with the right production team), in which case that list will probably qualify.

PSVR2 will be a huge flop. Just makes no sense up against Quest.
Oculus had 4 headsets flop before getting to the Quest. If they followed the above logic we'd never have gotten it at all.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Since Half: Alyux..... [market] still produces "VR shovelware" - Can PSVR2 do any better in the long run?
Friends Tv No GIF

The sad reality is that the only way to make money reliably with big budget VR titles is to develop them to work in both VR and non VR.
It’s not so sad, I love some of the titles that let vr, console, pc, and even mobile users co-mingle. Great for accessibility and marketing vr to other gaming sectors. I admit it is sad for developer’s workload and pushing the limits of the medium, but that’s what niche indies are for. If you wanna make money, making your game available to the widest audience is just good business.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo will probably steal VR and it will take off than gamers will make a big deal about it, it’s criminal that the switch is what it is, Sony had dual screen cross play for a long time and have invested in gimmicks.

Wonko_C

Capcom actually made a full Resident Evil 4 VR just last year:

Armature Studio actually, Capcom just gave their blessings.

Yeah and it's still $30 at least on the oculus store - when I just picked up RE0,1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 for the same amount.
Keep in mind RE4 was rebuilt from the ground-up in UE4, it's basically a remake.

Room-scale is everything for VR. I've enjoyed some sitting titles too, but it barely even qualifies as VR, that's just a 3D game amplified a bit further. VR requires the full feeling of being inside that world, which means not using gamepad-type controls and instead using your grip and arms / hands, plus moving around in that space freely.
Racing and cockpit games say otherwise.

onesvenus

They all have AAA visuals and are AAA games.

We saw gameplay of RE Village VR and no, it isn't just the "flat" game playable in VR. They shown in the video controls/animations and camera control that isn't the same than in the "flat" version.

There is a properly adapted version of RE4 for PC VR, the whole game. But unlike the PSVR2 version isn't made by Capcom and uses the PS2 port as source instead of the remade PS5 version.

Horizon also shown many VR-esque mechanics on footage. Regarding CoD we know it will have a PSVR2, we don't know if it will cover the whole game of if it's going to be a VR-only specific separate game mode.
How do you know Horizon is an AAA game when you have seen two minutes at most?
When I say it's the same as the flat have I mean that it's exactly the same game that released a year ago. I don't think that's a system seller at all

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Racing and cockpit games say otherwise.
That’s a good example of a genre that still works in seated mode, true. Although even then, having gamepad-style controls would be a dealbreaker; you’d of course need to reach your arm up to flip a switch in the cockpit, or turn the controllers like a wheel rather than pushing a stick left and right.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It’s not so sad, I love some of the titles that let vr, console, pc, and even mobile users co-mingle. Great for accessibility and marketing vr to other gaming sectors. I admit it is sad for developer’s workload and pushing the limits of the medium, but that’s what niche indies are for. If you wanna make money, making your game available to the widest audience is just good business.
I'm not saying these games are bad or anything or that making games available to a broader audience is bad, but it's almost always obvious the game was made for one medium and adapted to the other.

Sometimes this means the game is obviously built around VR, and there are compromises to the game's non-VR version that wouldn't otherwise exist. Trover Saves the Universe, or Paper Beast or whatever.

Other times it cuts the other way, where the interaction paradigms are designed around controller and just aren't as good in VR. Stuff like RE7 or Obduction.

But there's definitely a choice that developers make in which to favor and it's kind of a Catch 22.

I don't know if it's because I'm lazy as fuck or I don't have enough room unless I move furniture around but I initially bought a quest 2 to play, now cancelled, Splinter Cell VR and all I have is a table tennis game and a miniature golf game. I'm sure there are unique games out there that would really convert me to get the VR bug but I feel just fine sitting comfortably on my computer chair and play on there or lay like a stranded whale on my couch and turn on my ps5/switch.

I'm saying all this because my gut tells me not to get the PSVR2 because it would be money wasted.

Am I missing out or is it that VR isn't there yet?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is that true or are you just guessing? I highly doubt they would if the latter.
I’m guessing, but that one USB-C/Display Port cable will be easily hacked for the PC for use.

But something tells me they will drip feed into that market to expand its presence. It will be great tech spec wise, even on PC, for the money when it launches.

Last edited:

yurinka

How do you know Horizon is an AAA game when you have seen two minutes at most?
Because I saw the production values in the videos and as a dev I know they spent a shit ton of money and work there in quality, very polished stuff. Same as when I see a trailer from Calisto Protocol, Final Fantasy XVI, God of War Ragnarok etc.

Not the same ones I saw in Beat Saber or Among Us VR or other small VR game trailers.

Last edited:

poppabk

I’m guessing, but that one USB-C/Display Port cable will be easily hacked for the PC for use.

But something tells me they will drip feed into that market to expand its presence. It will be great tech spec wise, even on PC, for the money when it launches.
Well the question will be whether they are making a profit on it. If so then they will be willing to make it compatible like their controller, if not then they will make it as difficult as possible.

Wonko_C

I don't know if it's because I'm lazy as fuck or I don't have enough room unless I move furniture around but I initially bought a quest 2 to play, now cancelled, Splinter Cell VR and all I have is a table tennis game and a miniature golf game. I'm sure there are unique games out there that would really convert me to get the VR bug but I feel just fine sitting comfortably on my computer chair and play on there or lay like a stranded whale on my couch and turn on my ps5/switch.

I'm saying all this because my gut tells me not to get the PSVR2 because it would be money wasted.

Am I missing out or is it that VR isn't there yet?
You're not alone, humans are lazy and like convenience, and that's VR's biggest obstacle. Some of us are just crazy enough to move furniture, strap on a brick on our heads and stand up and flail our arms around just to play a videogame.

Personally I find that sacrifice completely worth it because I find it more fun than just pushing buttons to watch an animation. Not that I abandoned that style completely, I still love traditional gaming, especially Metroidvanias.

Top Bottom