• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Sackboy A Big Adventure : PS5 vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro

Evilms

Banned

• The game running on Unreal Engine 4.
  • 720p on PS4 and 1080p on PS4 Pro at 60fps.
  • Dynamic resolution on PS5 with 75% of 4K on average (~1620p) at 60fps too.
  • Shading, occlusion, shadow, lighting are obviously better on PS5.
  • Many minor details (such as wire ground, volumetric lighting, particles) are completely absent on PS4.
  • The game is solid on PS4, but the extra features add a lot to the PS5.
  • The PS5 has an almost instant loading 1~2s, it's at the level of a cartridge game.
  • The PS4 is more in 11~12 seconds.
  • The PS4/Pro has a lower framerate in cutscenes where the PS5 is at its best most of the time.
  • The PS5 version has SSR in many places unlike the PS4/Pro.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

So the PS5 version is roughly 7 times the resolution of PS4 with slightly more solid frame rate and higher graphical settings.

I mention it cos I'm still trying to gauge what the power delta is between the two, given the doubt caused by the architectural improvements in RDNA 2.

I think NX Gamer worked it out to be something like 9x more powerful. I suppose this could be roughly in line with that.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised all the consoles are as low as this, though, as gorgeous as it looks. Is it really more than twice as demanding as something like Modern Warfare?!

This is where xsx and and ps5 thou xsx has already got vrr ps5 will also get vrr and best of yet 4k will be a thing of the past when xsx and ps5 get 4k supersarpling

kuncol02

Banned
Sorry i ment amd supersampling so basically if the game is running at a lower resolution then supersampling will come to play and act as if your game is running on a full 4k output at 60fps
That's opposite of supersamling. Supersampling is running game in 6k and scaling it down to 4k like Ori is doing.

JonkyDonk

Sad desperate fanboys rushing into this thread to make sure everyone knows the game isn't in 4k, because we couldn't possibly have that on the underpowered PS5, only the 12TF monster eater is capable of such things! Pathetic behaviour.

Anyway, this game is gorgeous and looks so fun; can't wait to get my hands on it once I'm done with the other stuff I'm playing now.

Banned
Well the game took 11 seconds to load on the PS4. There must be a reason behind those load times.

the reason 3D World loads as fast as it does is because it was tailored to the hardware in a way that allowed the system to have the most used assets of it loaded into ram at all times. it basically used the 1GB of ram the Wii U had (it had 2GB but 1GB was used for OS) as a giant cartridge basically.

so I don't know why Sackboy loads slower but I know why 3D World has basically no loading.

the reason 3D World loads as fast as it does is because it was tailored to the hardware in a way that allowed the system to have the most used assets of it loaded into ram at all times. it basically used the 1GB of ram the Wii U had (it had 2GB but 1GB was used for OS) as a giant cartridge basically.

so I don't know why Sackboy loads slower but I know why 3D World has basically no loading.

If I were to guess it's because the assets are much higher quality in Sack Boy than Super Mario even on the PS4. That could help explain why it takes 11 seconds to load on the PS4.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

Because Sackboy is a much more demanding game than 3D World, from the graphics alone is very obvious

Last edited:

Elginer

Such a joyful game, really just great all around. Reminds me of waking up Christmas morning to
Play Sonic on my new Genesis

Neo_game

Intresting that there is no 30fps option. It looks pretty impressive but also very demanding. Sumo Digital probably had a deadline meet and I could have optimized it more. 720P has to be the lowest for any PS4 game.

Last edited:

Banned
Because Sackboy is a much more demanding game than 3D World, from the graphics alone is very obvious

it's not tho. it of course is more demanding if you look at it as a total, but if you keep in mind the hardware level we are talking about, comparatively it isn't.

3D World was a decent looking game for the hardware level it ran on.

and Sackboy is a decent looking game for the hardware it is running on.

the Wii U had 1 GB of available RAM, the PS4 has 5GB of available RAM and the Pro has 5.5GB available.

the PS5 has about 13GB available (most likely)

so comparatively the jump in asset quality also came with a jump in available Memory, and the reason 3D World loaded as fast was because the most important assets were pre loaded into RAM.
it was clever size management on Nintendo's part. something that wasn't done for Sackboy as it is way bigger (the day 1 patch wqs 30+GB after all lol)
the question is, was it simply not possible to get the size down to do something similar or was the PS4 version simply not at all a focus. my guess is a mix of both.

I just think it is fascinating what Nintendo did with Mario 3D World and how they used the hardware to effectively have a 100% seamless experienced on a piece of hardware like the Wii U

Last edited:

truth411

it's not tho. it of course is more demanding if you look at it as a total, but if you keep in mind the hardware level we are talking about, comparatively it isn't.

3D World was a decent looking game for the hardware level it ran on.

and Sackboy is a decent looking game for the hardware it is running on.

the Wii U had 1 GB of available RAM, the PS4 has 5GB of available RAM and the Pro has 5.5GB available.

the PS5 has about 14GB available (most likely)

so comparatively the jump in asset quality also came with a jump in available Memory, and the reason 3D World loaded as fast was because the most important assets were pre loaded into RAM.
it was clever size management on Nintendo's part. something that wasn't done for Sackboy as it is way bigger (the day 1 patch wqs 30+GB after all lol)
the question is, was it simply not possible to get the size down to do something similar or was the PS4 version simply not at all a focus. my guess is a mix of both.

I just think it is fascinating what Nintendo did with Mario 3D World and how they used the hardware to effectively have a 100% seamless experienced on a piece of hardware like the Wii U

Fixed.

FrankWza

Sad desperate fanboys rushing into this thread to make sure everyone knows the game isn't in 4k, because we couldn't possibly have that on the underpowered PS5, only the 12TF monster eater is capable of such things! Pathetic behaviour.

Anyway, this game is gorgeous and looks so fun; can't wait to get my hands on it once I'm done with the other stuff I'm playing now.

During this time it’s best to look upon the less fortunate with a little more compassion. You have no idea what it’s like to be lacking of next gen games. Unless you walk in their shoes it’s best to try and just understand. This is their sackboy. This is their adventure. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom