• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PS4/Pro - All Consoles Tested

How does Capcom put out a version like that on PS5?
It's not the first game they have released on the console using RE Engine.
I would have thought it was cut and paste.
I'm sure it will be patched, by Capcom are normally all over this stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How does Capcom put out a version like that on PS5?
It's not the first game they have released on the console using RE Engine.
I would have thought it was cut and paste.
I'm sure it will be patched, by Capcom are normally all over this stuff.

Contrary to whatever people are moaning about, PS5 version looks and runs fine.

But then I quite like chromatic aberration, film grain, and other techniques used to simulate optical lens effects. Being able to count every pin-sharp pixel doesn't add much, especially on a game like this.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

But then I quite like chromatic aberration, film grain, and other techniques used to simulate optical lens effects. Being able to count every pin-sharp pixel doesn't add much, especially on a game like this.
tom hiddleston idiot GIF

NeonGhost

Predicatable. And for the record, IDGAF.

I play games for the gameplay, not to count pixels. I'm at chapter 7, and having a good time. Which is about as inarguable a win for me as it gets.

But please, continue tightly clutching your pearls! Fetishizing technical detail does not impress anyone!
Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

How about maybe recognizing that different people find different things visually pleasing?
If some people didn't like these fake "in camera" effects like CA, blur, even DoF they wouldn't exist. Its actual work to create these because they are properties associated with photography, and not the natural product of rendering an image digitally.

More than that though, catastrophizing over minutia just makes the person look like they are trying way too hard to look "smart".

NeonGhost

How about maybe recognizing that different people find different things visually pleasing?
If some people didn't like these fake "in camera" effects like CA, blur, even DoF they wouldn't exist. Its actual work to create these because they are properties associated with photography, and not the natural product of rendering an image digitally.

More than that though, catastrophizing over minutia just makes the person look like they are trying way too hard to look "smart".
Oh please there’s like 3 of you people here that like like chromatic aberration the rest on the sane world fucking hates it

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Did Capcom cut their QA staff? How the fuck do these easy to spot issues get out the door. The input lag on the Xbox is indefensible – did they even play it? And the chromatic aberration issues on the PS5 should have been an easy catch, or at the very least a day 1 patch.

Exactly, and this is why I can't take the "ZOMG, IM HAVING SO MUCH FUN, GAME LOOKS GREAT FUCK YOU HATERS" comments in here seriously, if you're playing it on PC fine, the control issues on Xbox and the IQ ones on PS5 are simply inexcusable, there's no way i'm rewarding them with 70 euros for such a botched release - and a remake at that ffs no matter how "good" it is, this - at least on consoles - shouldn't be getting 9's left and right, these problems should be called out in the year of our lord 2023, I mean, users would be tearing the devs a new one if this was any other game.

This is a remake of one of the most beloved games ever, why release it like this ? Again, control issues on one platform in a game where you're shooting stuff 99% of the time and a blurry and shimmery IQ on the other platform where it almost gets matched by the much weaker hardware/console (XSS).

Game was rushed, I just can't condone such practices and reward them with 70 Eurodollars, why not just get the game when it'll be fixed a couple of.months down the line at half price ?

About 5 hours in thus far. Got it as a bday present. The game could benefit from a 40FPS mode, which would allow for higher IQ/fidelity budget opposed to the current modes.

The visuals are acceptable. Could be a little better but that’s okay. Although, I have noticed some inconsistencies in texture quality, sometimes in the same house, like 1 wall will have a higher res while the other are maybe half res of the 1st wall.

I also noticed a rope coming off a tree and running upwards towards the sky, but it was connected to nothing on the other end.

The game needs more polish and I only hope it will be fixed in subsequent patches.

Banned
About 5 hours in thus far. Got it as a bday present. The game could benefit from a 40FPS mode, which would allow for higher IQ/fidelity budget opposed to the current modes.

The visuals are acceptable. Could be a little better but that’s okay. Although, I have noticed some inconsistencies in texture quality, sometimes in the same house, like 1 wall will have a higher res while the other are maybe half res of the 1st wall.

I also noticed a rope coming off a tree and running upwards towards the sky, but it was connected to nothing on the other end.

The game needs more polish and I only hope it will be fixed in subsequent patches.

the textures are a huge issue with this game yeah. it seems like it struggles to juggle textures in and out of the scene where needed.
high res versions only seen to load in when there's space for then in vram, and do so inconsistently as well.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly, and this is why I can't take the "ZOMG, IM HAVING SO MUCH FUN, GAME LOOKS GREAT FUCK YOU HATERS" comments in here seriously, if you're playing it on PC fine, the control issues on Xbox and the IQ ones on PS5 are simply inexcusable, there's no way i'm rewarding them with 70 euros for such a botched release - and a remake at that ffs no matter how "good" it is, this - at least on consoles - shouldn't be getting 9's left and right, these problems should be called out in the year of our lord 2023, I mean, users would be tearing the devs a new one if this was any other game.

This is a remake of one of the most beloved games ever, why release it like this ? Again, control issues on one platform in a game where you're shooting stuff 99% of the time and a blurry and shimmery IQ on the other platform where it almost gets matched by the much weaker hardware/console (XSS).

Game was rushed, I just can't condone such practices and reward them with 70 Eurodollars, why not just get the game when it'll be fixed a couple of.months down the line at half price ?
PS5's IQ issues mostly only impact the performance mode. It's fine on resolution mode. Ive played the PC version at native 4k and the PS5 version back to back and its really not that bad if you switch to resolution mode and turn off all their post processing trash. It looks a lot like the PC's 1440p mode.

XSS version though omg. It looked fine but i dont know how I am supposed to control this reticule. This kinda makes sense though. MS themselves said that Xbox is like 2% market penetration in japan, 20% in Europe and less than 30% worldwide. These survival horror games are also not a big draw on xbox so I bet devs were like why waste dev time and resources on a small userbase. the RE engine has typically performed very well on xbox with some exceptions like RE2 on x1x which had a crazy high resolution target and couldnt maintain a locked 60 fps. But other than that, their games have always run better on Xbox.

This is just an unfortunate oversight that shouldve reflected in xbox reviews. But i see no real problems in the PS5 and PC versions. Game is phenomenal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They obviously had to get the game out before FY ending so it can help in the revenue, profits margins.
I mean this is unfortunately it. The game reminds me of games like Days Gone which lacked the final polish pass despite shipping the game with all features present. I mean its not for the lack of effort since the game effectively ships with EIGHT modes on the PS5 and XSX. All they had to do was offer 30 fps, 40 fps capped modes and no one wouldve cared about the dropped frames with RT and Hair on.

The lens flare, chromatic abberation depth of field and other settings completely destroying the IQ on consoles is just one of those things that wouldve been caught for sure. the engine itself is fine considering the game runs fine on the PS5 in resolution mode with all those things turned off. the deadzone issues are an easy fix that will probably be fixed in a week or two. i have zero issues on PC using the PS5 controller.

I admire them for putting in hair strand and RT reflections but tbh, they shouldve left those out and focused exclusively on IQ. Their artists are probably furious over the lens distortion, depth of field and checkerboard rendering destroying an otherwise pretty looking game.

Bojji

the textures are a huge issue with this game yeah. it seems like it struggles to juggle textures in and out of the scene where needed.
high res versions only seen to load in when there's space for then in vram, and do so inconsistently as well.

On series x i noticed that just entering inventory (Y) and exiting it loads low res textures, and it takes few seconds to load high res versions. Reminds me of fucking Rage on PS3...

Now with 16GB of RAM and SSD storage i see this again, holy fuck.

skneogaf

I hope digital foundry at least try to reach out to capcom and inform them of their analysis, you never know they may not have noticed. 🤔

If the console issues get fixed this is one of my best games list, it's already there but it will move up!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope digital foundry at least try to reach out to capcom and inform them of their analysis, you never know they may not have noticed. 🤔

If the console issues get fixed this is one of my best games list, it's already there but it will move up!

Unfortunately, they only have contact with their pr teams. Just gotta hope they pass it on.

I think due to the major bugs like flashing at the bottom of the screen on ps5 and the bodies of water showing bugged reflections on xbox, we have a larger chance of issues being fixed....but....that'd the hope we have to grasp onto now lol.

Moses85

Unfortunately, they only have contact with their pr teams. Just gotta hope they pass it on.

I think due to the major bugs like flashing at the bottom of the screen on ps5 and the bodies of water showing bugged reflections on xbox, we have a larger chance of issues being fixed....but....that'd the hope we have to grasp onto now lol.
Capcom is well aware of this shit. They developed the game and hard to belive, they have game Testers

It's hard to get the PC version to look as bad as the PS5 version. You can get it as blurry using FSR1 but there are also checkerboarding artifacts on PS5 and interlacing on PC looks fairly clear. You can't enable both interlacing and FSR on PC. If it's for performance reasons fair enough but if it is something that doesn't impact on the performance then it's gross that Capcom pushed it out the door like this.

The PC version is decent. No DLSS but runs fine at native. Some minor traversal stutter but that is present on all systems like it was in Dead Space.

I'm using controller on PC and it controls ok. Not got less than 85% accuracy and I'm in chapter 8 I think (last big set piece was the water room). M&K is obviously better but too easy to headshot everyone.

There was no need, or call, for them to do it differently.
Most people don't like the way the PS5 version looks, so it didn't really work out.

Filben

I'm not satisfied at all with the image quality of the PS5 version. RT gets rid of RE's ugly SSR even on weapons. But puddles have a weird shiny low-res outline so they look better without RT. Despite favouring resolution the image looks smeared, especially at vegetation. Frame rate is not stable in either mode.

Please give me a 40fps capped option and increase internal res and remove SSR from weapons so I won't be needing the RT mode.

Filben

Absolutely insane nitpicking. The game is a stunner and the DF nerds have almost nothing good to say.

Why do we even bother with them anymore?
They're tech enthusiasts making videos for tech enthusiasts. If you want someone saying "looks amazing" and moving on, it's the wrong channel. There are different audiences and maybe you're not target audience.

It's not nitpicking, it's pointing out the finest details. Otherwise you could say the same about skill ups 40min review videos compared to the 10min of IGN. Again, different audiences. It's literally the same with everything from sports to cars or food. Depending on the channel you get someone saying this food in that restaurant is amazing and another one could talk 30min straight just about the dessert.

If u have an elite controller on series x u can fix the dead zone issue in the controllers setting by making the curve far right and response to instant. Now the game is extremely responsive

Top Bottom