• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake First Look: A Classic in the Making? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X and PC Tested

Rykan

how can you wrongly display a logo... the logos come straight from the company that makes the game.. i saw the ps4 logo even on playstation uk at the time it shows that the game was being developed for ps4 but later scraped which most of this games are.. dont believe the hype in some of this games about being developed for nextgen while they look like an early ps4 game
Because the people responsible for making the trailer or, in this case, a localized version of the trailer, are not the same people developing the game. Mistakes in advertisement are common, and I've already shown you another example of this. Want more? There's a T - pose character in the Fifa Football 23 trailer. Go ahead and prove that the PS4 logo was on the UK trailer. Not that it matters, though, as we've already established that the game's listing was a mistake.

You have no evidence whatsoever that proves the game was ever in development for the PS4 and your whole post is nothing more than a "Trust me, Bro".
Demon's Souls is coming to PC for sure eventually
I think so too, actually. But it was clearly not planned or scheduled when the trailer was first shown. It's been out for well over 2 years now, it would have been formally announced and released by now.

Hoddi

All of which brings us onto the elephant in the room. The Touryst on Series X also has super-sampling down to 4K from a higher resolution, but it is 6K instead (5760x3240, to be precise). Bearing in mind how close the machines are, why is this the case? Typically, in the PC space, to get a faster GPU, manufacturers produce 'wider' designs that run at the same clocks as less capable parts - or even slower. Xbox Series X follows the same pattern. Its GPU runs at a slower clock, but should be more capable overall as it has many more compute units. Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs.

heres doom eternal dev saying they always use the lowest level api to get the most out the hardware they have..

https://www.ign.com/articles/contro...for-two-generations-of-consoles-at-once-sucks and here is the remedy dev interview

My 2080 Ti runs this game at just under 120fps at 8k which would make it almost three times faster than the Series X GPU running at 6k60.

It's very obviously not the reason. Nevermind that my ancient GTX 1060 manages ~40fps at this res.

yamaci17

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

DJ12

Sounds good. Unfortunately there is no clear winner for this one unless you are on PC with mouse and keyboard.

Ps5 looks really, really bad and xbox has absolutely shite tier input lag plus deadzone issue.

Please, capcom...patch this game on console.
Image quality is king.

Xbox wins, unless they fix the half res effects on ps5.

Deadzone, whilst annoying has absolutely nothing to do with performance.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's half that (1717x1932 with VGTechs count), remember it's checkerboard rendered.

I just can't see how the ps5 version is not something different than that. If you do the math it makes sense that the ps5 version is somehow lower. It's got the better performance in the demo ( potentially due to lack of raytraing draw distance and effects ) but if it isn't the raytracing it makes mathematical sense that its much lower resolution due to the huge gulf in performance between versions.

I'm basing this on how competent capcom has been with this engine one ps5 and xbox previously.

So, to me it just makes sense that ps5 is lower res than xbox. And considerably so. It sure looks like it.

I think it's the biggest difference in image quality we have seen this gen.

That or ps5 is using some awful fsr 1 like previously mentioned. But why? Why wouldn't they just change it to fsr 2 to avoid the vaseline mess?

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
My 2080 Ti runs this game at just under 120fps at 8k which would make it almost three times faster than the Series X GPU running at 6k60.

It's very obviously not the reason. Nevermind that my ancient GTX 1060 manages ~40fps at this res.
you keep demanding it not to be the reason while the developer has said it is the reason,,, it seems u just love arguing as if its a competition! running a game at higher performances doesnt just correlate to how much x faster your gpu is to another if u want to know why it runs the way it is on ps5 and series x go ask the developer and stop inventing bet time stories... ive shown u the dev report and yet ur still arguing..

Last edited:

GymWolf

John from DF mentioned that xbox controller also feels like shit in pc version...
Anyone tried if dualsense feels better on pc than xbox? Or is only place ever to play it ok with controller ps5?
I could go with mouse and keyboard on pc but my father is coming over and we will play together. He loved re4 when I was a teen.
The point is - He will have more room to watch if I am not slouching over the screen with mouse and keyboard lol
Not sure if it can help but i tried a sex controller on pc and it was failry good, i nailed headshots with ease.

Movement felt a bit sluggish but i take some weight over floaty.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The CU difference between the two consoles is really starting to show with more advanced games. In theory this should always be the outcome, when engines evolve and use more RDNA 2.0 features and more parallel execution.
😂 I wonder how many people know that many of those features are not free compute

Like FSR 2.0 it's very taxing on a GPU and already will account for a few ms alone. That's a lot when you need 33ms for 30fps or even worse 16ms for 60fps

ML also uses compute which would take away from GPU resources

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
😂 I wonder how many people know that many of those features are not free compute

Like FSR 2.0 it's very taxing on a GPU and already will account for a few ms alone. That's a lot when you need 33ms for 30fps or even worse 16ms for 60fps

ML also uses compute which would take away from GPU resources

Wouldn't the extra CUs show an advantage here?

The good news for us all is, by the time anything pushes these consoles we can just buy the pro consoles and all will work as expected then....

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Wouldn't the extra CUs show an advantage here?

The good news for us all is, by the time anything pushes these consoles we can just buy the pro consoles and all will work as expected then....
If the compute units need to run code and need resources they will pull from the GPUs resource allocation

People often use the buzz names of RDNA 2.0's feature set but they underestimate the GPU allocation costs

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I wonder if all or at least some of its processes can be moved to PS5's custom ID buffer hardware to make it free/faster.
It'll be interesting to see the benefits of the customized IO and data streaming over the next few years

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If the compute units need to run code and need resources they will pull from the GPUs resource allocation

People often use the buzz names of RDNA 2.0's feature set but they underestimate the GPU allocation costs

so i imagine the additional cu's and ml on the series x will help here cosiderably.

Hobbygaming

so i imagine the additional cu's and ml on the series x will help here cosiderably.
It can be even worse if the work can't be given to all CUs, the GPU can force the CU count to drop by over half when prioritizing code, that's a lot of bandwidth off the table

This is a problem because it's more difficult to keep a larger number of CUs filled at all times

Also the XSX only has 96 tops for ML

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think it might be best to wait for the full game to tested.
I'm interested to see how performance is with that lovely rain effects they have will be.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Interesting. thanks.
I just did some testing on ps5 demo and pc version with xsx controller... and I couldn't feel a difference :p maaaaaaybe a tiniest bit.

Anyway - continuing on the performance... the pc version crushes ps5 sadly. If I turn off RT, I can do 4k, all maxed settings and either fsr1 ultra or fsr2 balanced. I like how both look. fsr1 especially. Interlacing is a bit shimmery.
Looks better and 70+fps
Don't you have a 3080? Of course it's gonna crush the consoles when it's 80% faster in rasterization and over 2x their performance with even mild ray tracing.

30-series cards still sell for a good chunk of change by the way. You can sell your 3080 for a solid return and get a budget GPU in your rig and use your console as a gaming machine if you hate PC gaming that much. No point in having a $1500+ machine just collecting dust.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anything from Digital Foundry on reporting this stuff back to Capcom? It would be great if they are actually feeding this stuff back to A) hopefully get an explanation on why the PS5 version looks like this, and can it be fixed? and B) Fix the goddamn controls on the PC and Xbox version for controller users.

Banned
Anything from Digital Foundry on reporting this stuff back to Capcom? It would be great if they are actually feeding this stuff back to A) hopefully get an explanation on why the PS5 version looks like this, and can it be fixed? and B) Fix the goddamn controls on the PC and Xbox version for controller users.

this might not be as straight forward due to it being a Japanese developer.
I wonder if they have a contact at Capcom, and if they do, if that contact has a direct line of communication with the developers

My money is on "this game sells like hotcakes no matter what and Capcom won't fix shit" unfortunately. I don't know if I'm just getting old and have different tastes or if I've been smoking PCP in some nightly drug orgies unbeknownst to myself but the character movement even on PS5 feels fucking unpleasant and unintuitive.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dead zones are more or less the same as the demo in the retail version.

Source: myself, playing retail right now.

Maybe feels a bit better but cause I increased acceleration compared to what I had it in the demo.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Interesting. thanks.
I just did some testing on ps5 demo and pc version with xsx controller... and I couldn't feel a difference :p maaaaaaybe a tiniest bit.

Anyway - continuing on the performance... the pc version crushes ps5 sadly. If I turn off RT, I can do 4k, all maxed settings and either fsr1 ultra or fsr2 balanced. I like how both look. fsr1 especially. Interlacing is a bit shimmery.
Looks better and 70+fps
lol what are you doing? turn off FSR and other upscaling techniques. Your 3080 should be running this shit at 4k 55-60 fps. Just turn down some settings from high to medium. i changed volumetric lighting to medium after noticing it does nothing on high and ultra. turn of Depth of field and motion blur for some more performance gains.

hair off and enjoy a native 4k 60 fps game. FSR2.0 has its own cost and you only get around 30% more performance in FSR quality with added artifacts. fuck that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Maybe feels a bit better but cause I increased acceleration compared to what I had it in the demo.

You playing full retail on Xbox? How is it with the increased acceleration, have you managed to get used to it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You playing full retail on Xbox? How is it with the increased acceleration, have you managed to get used to it?

Yeah, it feels easier to pop in head shots than the demo, maybe it's the increased acceleration, maybe I'm just used to the curve now.

Either way, it's been great so far. Very polished.

Playing with Frame Rate mode with RT on and all the lens shit off. If there are any drops, I am not noticing them and/or VRR is working its magic.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Don't you have a 3080? Of course it's gonna crush the consoles when it's 80% faster in rasterization and over 2x their performance with even mild ray tracing.

30-series cards still sell for a good chunk of change by the way. You can sell your 3080 for a solid return and get a budget GPU in your rig and use your console as a gaming machine if you hate PC gaming that much. No point in having a $1500+ machine just collecting dust.
I’ve got re4 for pc. Will play it here.
I don’t mind having a good pc. I do play games here and here. Less on pc lately but I like having a pc

How the fuck does an aiming/deadzone issue not get noticed and fixed in any game? It's such an obvious thing and so important to a 3rd person shooter. Blows my mind the incompetence that continually pops up among developers these days.

Top Bottom