• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake First Look: A Classic in the Making? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X and PC Tested

kingyala

Banned
The logo was incorrectly shown in a Latin American trailer. This was later clarified by the EA as an error and wasn't shown anywhere else. No PS4 version has been announced or released.

Wrong platforms shown in trailers isn't unheard of. The Demons souls remake trailer also mentioned it was coming to PC. It never did.
how can you wrongly display a logo... the logos come straight from the company that makes the game.. i saw the ps4 logo even on playstation uk at the time it shows that the game was being developed for ps4 but later scraped which most of this games are.. dont believe the hype in some of this games about being developed for nextgen while they look like an early ps4 game

Banned
The logo was incorrectly shown in a Latin American trailer. This was later clarified by the EA as an error and wasn't shown anywhere else. No PS4 version has been announced or released.

Wrong platforms shown in trailers isn't unheard of. The Demons souls remake trailer also mentioned it was coming to PC. It never did.

Demon's Souls is coming to PC for sure eventually

Thebonehead

Banned
Sounds like pc is the way to go if you have the machine for it. The demo looked and ran great on mine

Most definitely on this one

bmcfcbv.gif

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Digital Foundry Direct just had John and Alex discuss this game and they basically fixed nothing. Only RT reflections are fixed. Xbox Controls, PS5 shimmering, DoF, chromatic abberation and film grain filters still ruin IQ.
Is the day 1 patch out? Just wondering. Such a shame IQ is not great, I would've preferred to play this with a controller on my PS5

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thank you for this summary.

Sucks that on console we’re stuck with either less-than-optimized resolutions, or controller dead zones, when both machines could have those issues fixed with a patch from Capcom that will likely never come given

1) The overwhelmingly positive reviews
And
2) Capcom’s record of ignoring dead zone issues in other games (RE: Village on XSX reportedly had these issues as well).
Try the demo on resolution mode with RT, hair strand, Depth of Field, Chromatic Abberation and Film Grain turned off, and see if you can notice framedrops. They are there but not as noticeable on my VRR tv. Your KS8000 might be different but you might not notice frame drops to 55 fps every now and then.

Performance mode is absolutely trash. Do not play on that mode.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wasnt expecting much. But after the demo, I'm totally blown away.

Good job Capcom! And thank you

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Interesting, he also comes with 1944p on the Frame Rate mode.

- No sign of DRS in his testing
- Both PS5 and SX have same resolution metrics (2160p in resolution and 1944p in performance)
- While the pixel count is the same, the image quality between the two is not similar.
- PS5 has noisier image, post effects, worse aliasing, temporal stability etc
- NXGamer thinks the issue is in difference of AA working with the reconstruction/interlacing
- PS5 looks similar to FSR1 and SX looks similar to FSR2 in PC equivalent terms.

- In resolution mode both drop lots of frames with RT and Hair on
- SX is often 6~10 FPS lower in this mode. It is often below the VRR range here. PS5 can stay in the VRR range more often here.
- In Resolution mode with Hair and RT off, PS5 is closer to 60 more often but can dip in heavy bandwidth scenarios, and SX can dip a further 10% or more over that still.

- In Frame Rate mode with RT/Hair on, the performance is nearly identical with SX having approx 5% worse performance.
- Turning RT and Hair off makes this a locked 60 FPS mode on both barring some streaming stutters.

- Cinematics are GPU bound and game play are CPU bound which contributes to the above in Xbox having a small advantage in cut-scenes and PS5 in game play.

- Input latency is very high on both (204 vs 219 ms on PS5 and SX respectively)
- NXG thinks this is an intentional decision.
- NXG thinks it helps to increase acceleration on Xbox pad high to remedy some of the deadzone issues on Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The fact that there is such a big gap in performance in the Resolution (2160p) and Performance (1944p) means that either there is some other reconstruction not being caught, or there is difficult to analyze DRS, cause 2160p to 1944p is barely a drop. But the Frame Rate mode runs so much better.

Thief1987

So very similar to vgtech resolution results, and PS5 outperform XSX by up to 20% in res mode. DF's resolution measurements never made any sense with PS5 performing significantly better and at the same time has significantly lower resolution, unless DRS is hilariously broken in this game, and somehow i doubt that this is the case.
Also I don't know what kind of VRR can help in a situation when game runs in high 30s to low 40s most of the time, but digital foundry are professionals so they must be know better.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
John from DF mentioned that xbox controller also feels like shit in pc version...
Anyone tried if dualsense feels better on pc than xbox? Or is only place ever to play it ok with controller ps5?
I could go with mouse and keyboard on pc but my father is coming over and we will play together. He loved re4 when I was a teen.
The point is - He will have more room to watch if I am not slouching over the screen with mouse and keyboard lol

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
So there is indeed a significant difference in performance in favor of PS5 at same resolution (around 15% more FPS in resolution rt mode) which is oddly omitted on DF video. XSX has the better IQ.
They didn't have side by side performance comparisons for PS5/SX, only PS4/PS5. They probably will do a side by side when the game releases on Friday.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Try the demo on resolution mode with RT, hair strand, Depth of Field, Chromatic Abberation and Film Grain turned off, and see if you can notice framedrops. They are there but not as noticeable on my VRR tv. Your KS8000 might be different but you might not notice frame drops to 55 fps every now and then.

Performance mode is absolutely trash. Do not play on that mode.
You played on PS5 and got pretty good frame rates with those settings? I’ll have to give them a try. XSX version looks amazingly better in performance mode currently

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You played on PS5 and got pretty good frame rates with those settings? I’ll have to give them a try. XSX version looks amazingly better in performance mode currently
yeah, ive played the demo around 30 times already across PS5 and PC lmao. Even spawned two chainsaw dudes for shits and giggles. Did several tests just the other day on the PS5 with those settings turned on and off. My LG CX has a framerate counter. Hair is broken, dont even bother. RT is broken in demo but fixed in the final game but you will never notice those puddles and even on the rare instances you do, non-RT reflections look more or less fine. This aint Spiderman. its set in a village. Maybe the castle will utilize them but RE2, RE3 had pretty shitty RT reflections even on PC so i had turned off there.

NX Gamer just did a very comprehensive analysis a few minutes and found that with RT and hair in resolution mode, PS5 averages 50 fps and with those things turned off it gets very close to 60 fps dropping to 55 fps under heavy workload. In line with my findings. I highly doubt you will notice those drops during action, but give the demo a shot and see if it bothers you. On my LG CX, vrr took care of those drops and made it feel like a locked 60 fps, but when I honestly dont recall noticing those 55 fps drops back when I gamed on non-VRR tvs. anything below 50 fps is what bothered me.

I dont think anyone should be playing this game in Performance mode with that level of shimmering. It looks utterly horrendous.

Last edited:

Banned
John from DF mentioned that xbox controller also feels like shit in pc version...
Anyone tried if dualsense feels better on pc than xbox? Or is only place ever to play it ok with controller ps5?
I could go with mouse and keyboard on pc but my father is coming over and we will play together. He loved re4 when I was a teen.
The point is - He will have more room to watch if I am not slouching over the screen with mouse and keyboard lol

I only tested it with a dualsense and DS4Windows which makes it be detected as an Xbox controller. I can check later if running the dualsense as an actual dualsense make a difference.

edit: nope. ~21% deadzone is my reading (~0.21000 on gamepad-tester.com), in Xbox mode it was also ~21%
mind you this is till better than on Xbox SX where it's somewhere between 32% and 36%.

on PS5 it's ~12%
in a shooter you usually want 5%, depending on how good your stick is, even lower than that optimally. you usually want your aim to move the moment you touch your stick if you want actual precision.

the max Deadzone you can set in Apex Legends is 30%, just to demonstrate how fucking insane 32% or more are in the Xbox version of RE4

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I only tested it with a dualsense and DS4Windows which makes it be detected as an Xbox controller. I can check later if running the dualsense as an actual dualsense make a difference.

edit: nope. ~21% deadzone is my reading (~0.21000 on gamepad-tester.com), in Xbox mode it was also ~21%
mind you this is till better than on Xbox SX where it's somewhere between 32% and 36%.

on PS5 it's ~12%
in a shooter you usually want 5%, depending on how good your stick is, even lower than that optimally. you usually want your aim to move the moment you touch your stick if you want actual precision.

the max Deadzone you can set in Apex Legends is 30%, just to demonstrate how fucking insane 32% or more are in the Xbox version of RE4
Interesting. thanks.
I just did some testing on ps5 demo and pc version with xsx controller... and I couldn't feel a difference :p maaaaaaybe a tiniest bit.

Anyway - continuing on the performance... the pc version crushes ps5 sadly. If I turn off RT, I can do 4k, all maxed settings and either fsr1 ultra or fsr2 balanced. I like how both look. fsr1 especially. Interlacing is a bit shimmery.
Looks better and 70+fps

JimboJones

You could remap the pc inputs to a controller via steam input as a work around if you really wanted, though it means any button prompts on screen would be keyboard and mouse prompts.

Banned
Interesting. thanks.
I just did some testing on ps5 demo and pc version with xsx controller... and I couldn't feel a difference :p maaaaaaybe a tiniest bit.

Anyway - continuing on the performance... the pc version crushes ps5 sadly. If I turn off RT, I can do 4k, all maxed settings and either fsr1 ultra or fsr2 balanced. I like how both look. fsr1 especially. Interlacing is a bit shimmery.
Looks better and 70+fps

I definitely feel a difference between them.
the PS5 version definitely feels more responsive. and of course it is measurable how different they are, but even without that I noticed it when I first tried the demo on all systems.

on PC you can of course emulate a mouse on your right stick and your aiming will be better than even on PS5 lol, simply because you can manually change your response curve when doing that

Last edited:

Banned
You could remap the pc inputs to a controller via steam input as a work around if you really wanted, though it means any button prompts on screen would be keyboard and mouse prompts.

no the button prompts are no issue. all you have to map is your mouse to the right stick. all the actual buttons would stay mapped to Xbox controller buttons.
I already tried that and it works flawlessly and feels better than even on PS5

Mr Moose

Interesting, he also comes with 1944p on the Frame Rate mode.

- No sign of DRS in his testing
- Both PS5 and SX have same resolution metrics (2160p in resolution and 1944p in performance)
- While the pixel count is the same, the image quality between the two is not similar.
- PS5 has noisier image, post effects, worse aliasing, temporal stability etc
- NXGamer thinks the issue is in difference of AA working with the reconstruction/interlacing
- PS5 looks similar to FSR1 and SX looks similar to FSR2 in PC equivalent terms.

- In resolution mode both drop lots of frames with RT and Hair on
- SX is often 6~10 FPS lower in this mode. It is often below the VRR range here. PS5 can stay in the VRR range more often here.
- In Resolution mode with Hair and RT off, PS5 is closer to 60 more often but can dip in heavy bandwidth scenarios, and SX can dip a further 10% or more over that still.

- In Frame Rate mode with RT/Hair on, the performance is nearly identical with SX having approx 5% worse performance.
- Turning RT and Hair off makes this a locked 60 FPS mode on both barring some streaming stutters.

- Cinematics are GPU bound and game play are CPU bound which contributes to the above in Xbox having a small advantage in cut-scenes and PS5 in game play.

- NXG thinks it helps to increase acceleration on Xbox pad high to remedy some of the deadzone issues on Xbox.
I am going to try and see how my GPU/CPU runs it against his 2070.
At native 4k with crap set to high (no hair stuff and RT) it runs like poo poo.
re4demo2023032021475.jpg

1440p seems to run fine at least inside the house.
re4demo2023032021514.jpg

606re4demo2023032021530.jpg

I'll copy his settings.

JimboJones

no the button prompts are no issue. all you have to map is your mouse to the right stick. all the actual buttons would stay mapped to Xbox controller buttons.
I already tried that and it works flawlessly and feels better than even on PS5
Ah that's good! There are games don't allow gamepad + mouse and keyboard to be activated at the same time, I just assumed that was the case here.

Opens the door for some gyro aiming 🤓

Last edited:

Banned
Ah that's good! There are games don't allow gamepad + mouse and keyboard to be activated at the same time, I just assumed that was the case here.

Opens the door for some gyro aiming 🤓

RE7 I know had that issue where you couldn't use mouse and controller together.
thankfully not the case here

the game does have native gyro support on Dualshock and Dualsense controllers already, but it's TRAAAAAAAAAAASH... it has smoothing and acceleration 🤮
but yeah, with mouse emulation you can of course add that yourself and skip the shitty implementation by the developers.

Last edited:

DJ12

The guy got his ps5 and a full marketing kit for free from Sony and he had a massive rock on about it. Can't trust the way he frames things and more importantly how he discusses his points. He constantly tries to make the ps5 look better than PC.
Oh sweet child.....

You stick to MS approved Digital Foundry, the rest of us will combine all sources and form a solid foundation, good or bad for our preferred consoles.

JimboJones

Oh sweet child.....

You stick to MS approved Digital Foundry, the rest of us will combine all sources and form a solid foundation, good or bad for our preferred consoles.
Or in other words you will stick to your own PS approved echo chamber 😬, you do you 🫡.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh sweet child.....

Sounds good. Unfortunately there is no clear winner for this one unless you are on PC with mouse and keyboard.

Ps5 looks really, really bad and xbox has absolutely shite tier input lag plus deadzone issue.

Please, capcom...patch this game on console.

Banned

there is absolutely no way that is the case. and also no way it is intentional, intentional input lag doesn't exist, animation lag yes, not input lag. a game has input lag due to technical reasons like bad Vsync with too many pre-buffered frames, or too much GPU load. especially given it 100% is not present in the PC version.
I know what 200+ms latency feels like, this is simply false.

does he say how he tested this? he has no timestamps in his video and I really don't wanna watch it all just to get to that point.

I wanna bet what he did is look for an animation start instead of actually testing the latency at which an input is registered by using something that isn't bound to an animation wind-up like opening a menu or similar inputs.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The fact that there is such a big gap in performance in the Resolution (2160p) and Performance (1944p) means that either there is some other reconstruction not being caught, or there is difficult to analyze DRS, cause 2160p to 1944p is barely a drop. But the Frame Rate mode runs so much better.
Clearly there is something else behind. The difference in IQ is too evident between both modes. Possibly the reconstruction is from a lower native resolution.

Then, if what really differentiates XSX vs PS5 in IQ is that the first FSR2, then they are not working with the same demands. FSR 2 uses 2ms of computational resource while FSR1 is basically a filter. That would already explain the difference in fps but it is difficult to understand such a decision by Capcom when in the previous REngine games in XSX vs PS5 there was no such differentiation.....

PS: I still think that if there is DRS. Even here, counting has been done and the results have been less than 1944p. I think it's a game with extreme difficulty to count pixels.
We will see the final game with analysis of other areas and maybe with some extra patch.

Banned
Clearly there is something else behind. The difference in IQ is too evident between both modes. Possibly the reconstruction is from a lower native resolution.

Then, if what really differentiates XSX vs PS5 in IQ is that the first FSR2, then they are not working with the same demands. FSR 2 uses 2ms of computational resource while FSR1 is basically a filter. That would already explain the difference in fps but it is difficult to understand such a decision by Capcom when in the previous REngine games in XSX vs PS5 there was no such differentiation.....

PS: I still think that if there is DRS. Even here, counting has been done and the results have been less than 1944p. I think it's a game with extreme difficulty to count pixels.
We will see the final game with analysis of other areas and maybe with some extra patch.

if they really use FSR1 on PS5 and FSR2 on Xbox then that is super weird. but then again, they use a 10% deadzone on PS5 and a fuckin 30% deadzone on Xbox... so these 2 optimization teams clearly seem to not communicate much between each other

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I agree completely. Performance mode has to be drastically lower than 1944p. I can't even imagine how a 1944p could A look so much worse and also B run so much better than a native 4k output at like 1944 vs 2160....

It doesn't add up.

Last edited:

Banned
I agree completely. Performance mode has to be drastically lower than 1944p. I can't even imagine how a 1944p could A look so much worse and also B run so much better than a native 4k output at like 1944 vs 2160....

It doesn't add up.

one of the images VG Tech uploaded, where they also claimed that exact resolution, I found an edge that clearly was 1440p.
I would have needed to miscount/miss 5 or 6 stairsteps to get to 1440p instead of 1944p, so there's no way I was far off from the real resolution there.

that's just very confusing not only due to the subjective look of it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
one of the images VG Tech uploaded, where they also claimed that exact resolution, I found an edge that clearly was 1440p.
I would have needed to miscount/miss 5 or 6 stairsteps to get to 1440p instead of 1944p, so there's no way I was far off from the real resolution there.

that's just very confusing not only due to the subjective look of it.

I think here is clearly something about this games AA that makes it hard to pixel count, so it is reconstructing to 1944 or something....but I don't believe the ps5 version is running natively at that resolution and looks that bad. It's really, really bad compared to xbox and PC.

It's like red dead 2 all over again. I could imagine 1440p would be a reasonable res with construction on top that's softening the image on ps5. I just don't get why they went that route. Looks pants.

Banned
I think here is clearly something about this games AA that makes it hard to pixel count, so it is reconstructing to 1944 or something....but I don't believe the ps5 version is running natively at that resolution and looks that bad. It's really, really bad compared to xbox and PC.

It's like red dead 2 all over again. I could imagine 1440p would be a reasonable res with construction on top that's softening the image on ps5. I just don't get why they went that route. Looks pants.

well we know it is reconstructed. it either uses FSR or Checkerboarding, but even then, usually you will see the fully reconstructed image, and pixel counts will align with the target resolution of the reconstruction.

the fact that I got a 1440p count on that edge could really mean that PS5 only uses FSR1, which is basically a filter and not real reconstruction.
which then makes me wonder why they even bothered. FSR1 really isn't good, like it's shit to be absolutely frank here... it's dogshit.
they would be better off running at a lower res and let the console upscale it at that point, or use checkerboarding.

if they use FSR2 then it clearly doesn't work correctly on PS5, there has to be something going wrong there for it to look like that and have obvious cases of the base resolution showing so clearly.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It doesn't add up.
It's half that (1717x1932 with VGTechs count), remember it's checkerboard rendered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom