• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake First Look: A Classic in the Making? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X and PC Tested

Lysandros

Ask Alex. I have been begging NX Gamer and DF to go and buy the 6600xt or 6700 for PS5 and 6700 xt for XSX comparisons. They are perfect for comparisons especially since you can lock the clocks on PC using MSI Afterburner to get a perfect tflops comparison.
Why do you even want them to use unquestionably lesser GPUs as a PS5 equivalent? That would be absolutely baseless and ignorant. 6600xt/6700 are matching and/or beating 6700xt across gaming benchmarks in pc space now? For one, all those three GPUs have about the same rasterization and pixel fill rate whereas PS5 is significantly ahead of XSX in those areas. Second RX 6700/XT have 125-150% (!) more Infinity Cache compared to 6600xt which is very significant, not to mention up to 50% more VRAM bandwidth again not reflecting PS5/XSX situation at all. I think one should be at least somewhat familiar with the specifications of PS5/XSX in this third year of the generation and about those PC GPUs before attempting to make arbitrary comparisons. In the end utilizing the same GPU for both would be much less flawed as a methodology.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why do you even want them to use unquestionably lesser GPUs as an PS5 equivalent? That would be absolutely baseless and ignorant. 6600xt/6700 are matching and/or beating 6700xt across gaming benchmarks in pc space now? For one, all those three GPUs have about the same rasterization and pixel fill rate whereas PS5 is significantly ahead of XSX in those areas. Second RX 6700/XT have 125-150% (!) more Infinity Cache compared to 6600xt which is very significant, not to mention up to 50% more VRAM bandwidth again not reflecting PS5/XSX situation at all. I think one should be at least somewhat familiar with the specifications of PS5/XSX in this third year of the generation and about those PC GPUs before attempting to make arbitrary comparisons. In the end utilizing the same GPU for both would be much less flawed as a methodology.
Unquestionably lesser? What?

PS5 is a 10.2 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU with 36 Compute units.
6600xt is a 10.7 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU with 32 Compute Units.
6700 is a 11.2 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU with 36 Compute Units.

XSX is a 12.1 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU with 52 Compute Units
6700xt is a 13.2 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU with 40 Compute Units.

It is as close to a perfect comparison you're going to get this gen or any gen for that matter. Especially since you can downclock the PC GPUs to exactly match the tflops count of the consoles.

The consoles might be bandwidth starved and the XSX might be bottlenecked by lower clocks, but thats even better because then we can easily point to the XSX underperforming as something related to clocks or lack of infinity cache or ram bandwidth. Right now, we have DF and NX Gamer comparing these to Nvidia cards which have completely different architectures not to mention the fact that some games on PC prefer Nvidia over AMD and vice versa. NX gamer uses 6800 which is a 16 tflops card. Dude go out and get a 6600xt. you can buy it for $200 nowadays.

And I dont know what gave you the idea that i want to compare the PS5 and XSX using PC GPUs. What would be the point of that? We already have head to head benchmarks for them. I want to compare the XSX to the 6700xt and the PS5 to the 6700 to get an idea of just how powerful the PS5 GPU and XSX GPUs are compared to the same tflops RDNA 2.0 arch GPUs on the PC.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Why do you even want them to use unquestionably lesser GPUs as an PS5 equivalent? That would be absolutely baseless and ignorant. 6600xt/6700 are matching and/or beating 6700xt across gaming benchmarks in pc space now? For one, all those three GPUs have about the same rasterization and pixel fill rate whereas PS5 is significantly ahead of XSX in those areas. Second RX 6700/XT have 125-150% (!) more Infinity Cache compared to 6600xt which is very significant, not to mention up to 50% more VRAM bandwidth again not reflecting PS5/XSX situation at all. I think one should be at least somewhat familiar with the specifications of PS5/XSX in this third year of the generation and about those PC GPUs before attempting to make arbitrary comparisons. In the end utilizing the same GPU for both would be much less flawed as a methodology.
you can have a 10 tflops 6700-dumb-xt with only 50 gb/s bandwidth but he would still go like "ha!! 10 tflops rdna 2gpu getting destroyed by ps5!!1"

we literally have a POS 5.76 tflops rdna2 (6500xt) gpu that cannot even match series s in most instances due to puny 140 gb/s bandwidth. I'm sure 140-160 gb/s bandwidth is not even enough for 4 tflops rdna2 to begin with, let alone a 5.76 tflops counterpart

6500xt is so bandwidth starved to a point it cannot even reliably beat a 4.4 tflops turing counterpart

heck, it will get rekted by an ancient gtx 1060 at 4.3 tflops in bandwidth heavy games

this is not even console to PC comparison. I literally compare a brand new architecture with a relic architecture. properly bandwidth equipped cards perform like they should.

6500xt/6600xt are unbalanced cards that have puny bandwidth.

despite having having 2.27 times more TFLOPS, much newer architecture, proper "driver" optimizations by AMD, 6600xt is only 2.1x times faster than the 1060. puny 6600xt only has weak 256 gb/s bandwidth whereas even the midrange super cheap 1060 had 192 gb/s bandwidth back in 2016. 6600xt and alike performs most optimal when you feed them upwards of 400 gb/s+ of bandwidth, which PS5 can clearly do (out of 448 gb/s total bandwidth, 40-50 gb/s at best will be used by Zen 2 CPU, as you can hit 60 FPS targets most of the time on PC with similarly specced CPUs with similarly specced bandwidths).

people have to learn to stop thinking about GPUs in a TFLOPS vacuum. even 6700xt is heavily bandwidth starved. it wont outperform a ps5 by %30 in all cases.

current GPU levels would demands for upwards of 600 gb/s. this is why 3080 and co. have crazy amounts of bandwidth. otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point to have crazy powerful core. if you cant feed the core properly with high bandwidth, TFLOPS/core becomes pretty pointless.

this is why 4070ti can roflstomp a lot of GPUs at 1440p/1080p but fails horrendously at 4K. it can roflstomp a 3080 at 1440p/1080p in games where bandwidth is not a issue. however at native 4K, with ray tracing, there are a lot of instances where it gets rekt by 3080 instead. its all bandwidth.

Last edited:

Killer8

I'm surprised it runs as poorly as it does for how cross-gen it looks. This should really be a locked 60fps on PS5 and Series X when compared to some of the other games on the market. It's baffling how blurry and soupy it looks. I had to turn up the sharpening on my OLED to get it looking acceptable in frame rate mode (and that was still dropping frames anyways). RE Engine does not appear to be scaling particularly well to the new consoles. Apart from RE7's ray-tracing update, every RE game released so far has some sort of performance issue or visual bugs (eg. broken peak HDR brightness on Village on PS5).

ChiefDada

Gold Member
you can have a 10 tflops 6700-dumb-xt with only 50 gb/s bandwidth but he would still go like "ha!! 10 tflops rdna 2gpu getting destroyed by ps5!!1"

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Ironically, you're coming off a bit like Alex here with your rudimentary comparison. Richard from DF explained why you wouldn't get expected performance based on TF from a 6600xt with it's bandwidth

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
One reason is because the chances that the final game will be any different than the demo are slim to none, especially at launch. Sure, we could get lucky and they'll fix all the major issues, but their track record (and most devs track records) are not good in this respect.
That's the thing though, the differences and issues being argued over are minimal. Blurry IQ caused by buggy TAA or heavy controls due to an issue with deadzone and input acceleration are absolutely the type of things that can be fixed between the release of a demo and final game. That's also not including the few weeks after release that will be used by devs to drop patches.

Banned
That's the thing though, the differences and issues being argued over are minimal. Blurry IQ caused by buggy TAA or heavy controls due to an issue with deadzone and input acceleration are absolutely the type of things that can be fixed between the release of a demo and final game. That's also not including the few weeks after release that will be used by devs to drop patches.

the day 1 version has nothing fixed except the broken Raytracing reflections on PS5.

the controls of this game will never be fixed most likely. and there's so much wrong with them overall that I have no hope this game will ever play as well as the other remakes

Last edited:

Lysandros

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Ironically, you're coming off a bit like Alex here with your rudimentary comparison. Richard from DF explained why you wouldn't get expected performance based on TF from a 6600xt with it's bandwidth

To be fair the entire DF team is more or less guilty of perpetuating the "GPU performance = CU number & Teraflops" narrative. They are still actively pushing it at every occasion. And when this doesn't materialize "Strange isn't it?" "Curious isn't it?" rhetoric abounds. Mysteries and mysteries as if they are that clueless.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
the yellow paint all over the items that are breakable / interactive is hilarious. Reminds me of the early PS3 games like Uncharted where every climbablewall had bright coloured markers all over it cause the devs were worried people are too stupid to see what is climbable wand what isnt.

Just kinda baffling that it's still a game design trope in 2023

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
the yellow paint all over the items that are breakable / interactive is hilarious. Reminds me of the early PS3 games like Uncharted where every climbablewall had bright coloured markers all over it cause the devs were worried people are too stupid to see what is climbable wand what isnt.

Just kinda baffling that it's still a game design trope in 2023
yeah I really dislike that.
I realize that in old game, interactive objects were clearly badly lighted and stood out.... but cmon. yellow tape is so stupid. I see a barrel, I can break it.

kingyala

Banned
Unquestionably lesser? What?

It is as close to a perfect comparison you're going to get this gen or any gen for that matter. Especially since you can downclock the PC GPUs to exactly match the tflops count of the consoles.

The consoles might be bandwidth starved and the XSX might be bottlenecked by lower clocks, but thats even better because then we can easily point to the XSX underperforming as something related to clocks or lack of infinity cache or ram bandwidth. Right now, we have DF and NX Gamer comparing these to Nvidia cards which have completely different architectures not to mention the fact that some games on PC prefer Nvidia over AMD and vice versa. NX gamer uses 6800 which is a 16 tflops card. Dude go out and get a 6600xt. you can buy it for $200 nowadays.

And I dont know what gave you the idea that i want to compare the PS5 and XSX using PC GPUs. What would be the point of that? We already have head to head benchmarks for them. I want to compare the XSX to the 6700xt and the PS5 to the 6700 to get an idea of just how powerful the PS5 GPU and XSX GPUs are compared to the same tflops RDNA 2.0 arch GPUs on the PC.
teraflops re just one factor you wont get any factual measurement there! theres too many differences bandwidth, cache, clocks so many differences its like trying to compare 2 cars with the same horsepower but one is lighter than the other, has better tyres, better transmission and better driver... the comparison was won before it even started

kingyala

Banned
To be fair the entire DF team is more or less guilty of perpetuating the "GPU performance = CU number & Teraflops" narrative. They are still actively pushing it at every occasion. And when this doesn't materialize "Strange isn't it?" "Curious isn't it?" rhetoric abounds. Mysteries and mysteries as if they are that clueless.
its ego, most men would rather hang themselves before they admit they where wrong, its the reason behind most wars... mind you there are grown men out there who still believe the earth is flat... going back to df.. i think some people in df dont hold the same views as alex.. but are afraid to raise their opinions because they want to support their friend and co worker and hide his mistakes.. unfortunately they have to deal with his ignorance and fanboyism day and night because they signed him up and made him their technical manager.. this reminds me of work whereby my manager gave me stupid and wrong instructions but i had to comply because hes my manager :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

teraflops re just one factor you wont get any factual measurement there! theres too many differences bandwidth, cache, clocks so many differences its like trying to compare 2 cars with the same horsepower but one is lighter than the other, has better tyres, better transmission and better driver... the comparison was won before it even started
But thats precisely why you do comparisons. To take two systems that are alike in one way so you can figure out just what makes one better than the other. Is it the PS5 IO that is making it outperform similar spec'd cards. The 6600xt outperforms the PS5 in 60 fps? Why? It has only 256 GBps ram bandwidth. Was it the CPU? Lets find out.

The XSX does not perform like a 6700xt in many games, why? Is it the slower clocks? cache? DF calls these thought experiments. Thats exactly why we need to do this. Fucking taking 20 and 30 series Nvidia cards to compare these AMD GPUs is ridiculous.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Right but you wouldn't know that until there's a comparison done, right ?

kingyala

Banned
I'm surprised it runs as poorly as it does for how cross-gen it looks. This should really be a locked 60fps on PS5 and Series X when compared to some of the other games on the market. It's baffling how blurry and soupy it looks. I had to turn up the sharpening on my OLED to get it looking acceptable in frame rate mode (and that was still dropping frames anyways). RE Engine does not appear to be scaling particularly well to the new consoles. Apart from RE7's ray-tracing update, every RE game released so far has some sort of performance issue or visual bugs (eg. broken peak HDR brightness on Village on PS5).
i think its the crossgen nature of the engine... we saw in the touryst when devs rewrote the entire game to use the low level api on ps5 and memory architecture they managed to hit 8k 60.. so most of this crossgen games like deadspace and this game are not using low level api access on the consoles and the engines have not been optimized to work on nextgen hardware whenever i see game running at 900p on current consoles i already know it is crossgen.

adamsapple

i think its the crossgen nature of the engine... we saw in the touryst when devs rewrote the entire game to use the low level api on ps5 and memory architecture they managed to hit 8k 60.. so most of this crossgen games like deadspace and this game are not using low level api access on the consoles and the engines have not been optimized to work on nextgen hardware whenever i see game running at 900p on current consoles i already know it is crossgen.

Dead Space is not a cross-gen game.

kingyala

Banned
Right but you wouldn't know that until there's a comparison done, right ?
theres been comparisons ever since computers existed you just cant easily compare how a processor works with just one measurement.. back in the days how much ram was the argument over what gpu was better then came how fast does your gpu run how many hertz then came bandwidth and now teraflops... which always produced different unextepcted results.. good example ps3 having more giga flops but being outperformed by 360 becuase the 360 was a well oiled machine.. there are just too many variances in hardware the differences between ps5 and series x can already be seen they are negligible the problem is people cant believe the results because they where fooled into believing teraflops determine graphics...

kingyala

Banned
Dead Space is not a cross-gen game.
it is a crossgen game they simply decided not to release it on lastgen, it looks and plays like a ps4 game it was even advertised as coming to ps4... all this ea games currently dead space, fifa, nfs... none of them are coded to use current gen console hardware its why i say any game that loads more than 3 seconds and is 900p on a ps5 isnt nextgen somethings fishy

adamsapple

it is a crossgen game they simply decided not to release it on lastgen, it looks and plays like a ps4 game it was even advertised as coming to ps4... all this ea games currently dead space, fifa, nfs... none of them are coded to use current gen console hardware its why i say any game that loads more than 3 seconds and is 900p on a ps5 isnt nextgen somethings fishy

Dead Space remake was never announced for PS4, it was announced as a new-gen console only in 2021.

Gaiff

Gold Member
this is why 4070ti can roflstomp a lot of GPUs at 1440p/1080p but fails horrendously at 4K. it can roflstomp a 3080 at 1440p/1080p in games where bandwidth is not a issue. however at native 4K, with ray tracing, there are a lot of instances where it gets rekt by 3080 instead. its all bandwidth.
I'm sorry but what? The 4070 Ti is an awful example if you wanna drive your point home. Can you show me examples of it getting "rekt" by a 3080 at 4K? It loses a bit of ground but by and large is still significantly faster than the 3080 at 4K and I can't think of a single example where the 3080 comes out on top.

Last edited:

TonyK

Even if it's beautiful, you can't compare the Touryst graphics with an AAA game.

kingyala

Banned
Even if it's beautiful, you can't compare the Touryst graphics with an AAA game.
its not about comparing graphics the point of the matter is the touryst could not hit 8k 60 without the developers engineering it to use current gen console hardware and low level api's its exactly the same reason games like re 4 are stuck at 1080p.. and games like ratchet and clank are 4k 60.. with all the bells and whistles.. most multiplat devs havent changed their engines to take full use of current gen hardware yet, even remedy and id software said they had to rewrite their engines to take advantage of current consoles but most devs havent shifted yet... all they care is making a game that runs acceptably and looks convincing, use the less cash to make mega profits.

kingyala

Banned
Dead Space remake was never announced for PS4, it was announced as a new-gen console only in 2021.

[/URL]
alot of games where announced to be newgen only but later revealed to release on ps4 aswell.... resident evil village, callisto protocol, forbidden west and so many others this is simply for marketing reasons to make consumers believe that the game is so high tech that it wasnt possible on lastgen systems... and dead space ridiculously looks like a ps4 game

Hoddi

its not about comparing graphics the point of the matter is the touryst could not hit 8k 60 without the developers engineering it to use current gen console hardware and low level api's its exactly the same reason games like re 4 are stuck at 1080p.. and games like ratchet and clank are 4k 60.. with all the bells and whistles.. most multiplat devs havent changed their engines to take full use of current gen hardware yet, even remedy and id software said they had to rewrite their engines to take advantage of current consoles but most devs havent shifted yet... all they care is making a game that runs acceptably and looks convincing, use the less cash to make mega profits.
API differences generally have very little to do with GPU performance. If your GPU is already running at 100% on DX11 then you aren't going to gain much performance by switching to a newer API.

The whole point of switching from high-level APIs (DX11/OGL) to low-level APIs (DX12/Vulkan) was to reduce the CPU cost of submitting draw commands on Windows. Consoles have never needed high-level APIs because they're closed hardware.

Edit:

On a side note, even my crusty old GTX 1060 runs The Touryst at like 8k40. And 6600 XT cards can seemingly manage 8k60 without breaking a sweat despite only having a 128-bit bus.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
API differences generally have very little to do with GPU performance. If your GPU is already running at 100% on DX11 then you aren't going to gain much performance by switching to a newer API.

The whole point of switching from high-level APIs (DX11/OGL) to low-level APIs (DX12/Vulkan) was to reduce the CPU cost of submitting draw commands on Windows. Consoles have never needed high-level APIs because they're closed hardware.

Edit:

On a side note, even my crusty old GTX 1060 runs The Touryst at like 8k40. And 6600 XT cards can seemingly manage 8k60 without breaking a sweat despite only having a 128-bit bus.
mate the developers of both the touryst and doom eternal had to rewrite their engines to use lower level access of the current console hardware in order to pull more performance and low level access doesnt just solve cpu issues they soave alot of gpu performance aswell and dx 12 wasnt just there to solve draw calls as u easily said they where alot of things devs wanted to implement and pull from the hardware but the high level dx api stopped them from.. its the same thing your hearing from developers till this day about ps5 api being closer to the metal than dx 12... why do you think ms had to help epic in optimizing ue5 on xbox consoles most of it is to do with api.. and a gpu running 100% which in reality has never happened also doesnt mean its utilized properly you can write bad unoptimized code that stresses the gpu without performance or visual gain this is exactly why you need to optimize your engine to properly use the api and hardware... for instance some games on ps5 load under a second and other games take 10 seconds to a minute to load... this isnt the ps5's problem its the game not utilizing the api/ hardware properly.. its why you end up having ps4 looking games that still run at 1080p on ps5 and series x.. they just werent designed for those systems in mind.

Hoddi

mate the developers of both the touryst and doom eternal had to rewrite their engines to use lower level access of the current console hardware in order to pull more performance and low level access doesnt just solve cpu issues they soave alot of gpu performance aswell and dx 12 wasnt just there to solve draw calls as u easily said they where alot of things devs wanted to implement and pull from the hardware but the high level dx api stopped them from.. its the same thing your hearing from developers till this day about ps5 api being closer to the metal than dx 12... why do you think ms had to help epic in optimizing ue5 on xbox consoles most of it is to do with api.. and a gpu running 100% which in reality has never happened also doesnt mean its utilized properly you can write bad unoptimized code that stresses the gpu without performance or visual gain this is exactly why you need to optimize your engine to properly use the api and hardware... for instance some games on ps5 load under a second and other games take 10 seconds to a minute to load... this isnt the ps5's problem its the game not utilizing the api/ hardware properly.. its why you end up having ps4 looking games that still run at 1080p on ps5 and series x.. they just werent designed for those systems in mind.
That's a very long sentence.

I don't really have any strong opinion on this. But I've been using Cemu (the Wii U emulator) for a very long time and almost every game runs in the 8k40 range on my old 1060. Same goes for The Touryst so I don't think there's any great mystery going on. Nintendo games are simply very lightweight.

kingyala

Banned
That's a very long sentence.

I don't really have any strong opinion on this. But I've been using Cemu (the Wii U emulator) for a very long time and almost every game runs in the 8k40 range on my old 1060. Same goes for The Touryst so I don't think there's any great mystery going on. Nintendo games are simply very lightweight.
it has added graphical settings that are not available on xbox aswell and again this isnt about whether ur 1060 can run it at 8k its about devs rewritting the engine on ps5 in order to hit that target similar to ur 1060 if a developer decided to optimize the code properly on ur api they would push more performance from ur hardware. api's in console matter more than the hardware because they are closed systems that will be there for a 5-10 year period so optimizing your code to properly use the api is fundamental

Hoddi

it has added graphical settings that are not available on xbox aswell and again this isnt about whether ur 1060 can run it at 8k its about devs rewritting the engine on ps5 in order to hit that target similar to ur 1060 if a developer decided to optimize the code properly on ur api they would push more performance from ur hardware. api's in console matter more than the hardware because they are closed systems that will be there for a 5-10 year period so optimizing your code to properly use the api is fundamental
Nobody rewrote the entire whole graphics engine. Do you even understand what you're saying?

api's in console matter more than the hardware

Just no.

Rykan

alot of games where announced to be newgen only but later revealed to release on ps4 aswell.... resident evil village, callisto protocol, forbidden west and so many others this is simply for marketing reasons to make consumers believe that the game is so high tech that it wasnt possible on lastgen systems... and dead space ridiculously looks like a ps4 game
You're just moving goalposts to hide the fact that you were wrong. The game isn't available on PS4 and hasn't been announced for it. All the other games you've mentioned had their previous gen version announced before release.

kingyala

Banned
You're just moving goalposts to hide the fact that you were wrong. The game isn't available on PS4 and hasn't been announced for it. All the other games you've mentioned had their previous gen version announced before release.
no resident evil village was announced as a ps5 game and dead space was unveiled to also be available for ps4 https://www.eurogamer.net/resident-evil-village-may-not-be-next-gen-exclusive-after-all

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-trailer-which-lists-dead-space-remake-for-ps4-is-a-mistake

https://gamerant.com/horizon-forbid...es-dlc-ps5-exclusive-guerrilla-contradiction/

here are some of the games ive mentioned that where falsely advertised...

adamsapple

Again, Dead Space was never "unveiled" to be a PS4 title, it was a labeling error from one specific youtube channel only. None of the other regional playstation youtube channels had that.

kingyala

Banned
Nobody rewrote the entire whole graphics engine. Do you even understand what you're saying?

Just no.
All of which brings us onto the elephant in the room. The Touryst on Series X also has super-sampling down to 4K from a higher resolution, but it is 6K instead (5760x3240, to be precise). Bearing in mind how close the machines are, why is this the case? Typically, in the PC space, to get a faster GPU, manufacturers produce 'wider' designs that run at the same clocks as less capable parts - or even slower. Xbox Series X follows the same pattern. Its GPU runs at a slower clock, but should be more capable overall as it has many more compute units. Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs.

heres doom eternal dev saying they always use the lowest level api to get the most out the hardware they have..

https://www.ign.com/articles/contro...for-two-generations-of-consoles-at-once-sucks and here is the remedy dev interview

kingyala

Banned
Again, Dead Space was never "unveiled" to be a PS4 title, it was a labeling error from one specific youtube channel only. None of the other regional playstation youtube channels had that.
they claim its a labelling error to just save their face's i saw it advertised as a ps4 game not only on that youtube channel...

Rykan

they claim its a labelling error to just save their face's i saw it advertised as a ps4 game not only on that youtube channel...
Please stop gaslighting. The game was never announced for PS4. While it's common for the previous generation version to be unveiled after the current generation version, usually both versions are announced before release and launched simultaneously.

kingyala

Banned
Please stop gaslighting. The game was never announced for PS4. While it's common for the previous generation version to be unveiled after the current generation version, usually both versions are announced before release and launched simultaneously.
ive just showed u links so u can keep gaslighting urself or face reality

Rykan

ive just showed u links so u can keep gaslighting urself or face reality
You've literally shown a link that proves that the PS4 listing was an error, confirming that the game was never announced for PS4. Everything is a conspiracy with you.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You've literally shown a link that proves that the PS4 listing was an error, confirming that the game was never announced for PS4. Everything is a conspiracy with you.
Yeah, hes definitely wrong about it being announced for PS4 but lets not kid ourselves, Dead Space remake is as cross gen as Hogwarts, TLOU Remake, Gotham Knights, Need For Speed and every other game that had their last gen versions cancelled. Dead Space isnt doing anything that couldnt be done on last gen consoles. it doesnt even look that great.

kingyala

Banned
wasnt it announced on playstation latin america that its coming to ps4? if yes then its not conspiracy

Rykan

wasnt it announced on playstation latin america that its coming to ps4? if yes then its not conspiracy
The logo was incorrectly shown in a Latin American trailer. This was later clarified by the EA as an error and wasn't shown anywhere else. No PS4 version has been announced or released.

Wrong platforms shown in trailers isn't unheard of. The Demons souls remake trailer also mentioned it was coming to PC. It never did.

Lysandros

All of which brings us onto the elephant in the room. The Touryst on Series X also has super-sampling down to 4K from a higher resolution, but it is 6K instead (5760x3240, to be precise). Bearing in mind how close the machines are, why is this the case? Typically, in the PC space, to get a faster GPU, manufacturers produce 'wider' designs that run at the same clocks as less capable parts - or even slower. Xbox Series X follows the same pattern. Its GPU runs at a slower clock, but should be more capable overall as it has many more compute units. Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs.

heres doom eternal dev saying they always use the lowest level api to get the most out the hardware they have..

https://www.ign.com/articles/contro...for-two-generations-of-consoles-at-once-sucks and here is the remedy dev interview

Just as a note; in this case the developer plainly cites three reasons on why they were able to achieve 8K on PS5 and not on XSX:

* "The increase to clock frequencies" which can encompass a variety of GPU throughputs including fill rate, rasterization and caches.
* "Memory set-up" which can only point to the meaningfully higher bandwidth required for the ~75% higher resolution.
* "PS5's low-level graphics APIs."

We can see that the two of three reasons (thus majority) cited are hardware differences between the machines. So while the native PS5 API is certainly an important contributor, it's only one facet.

Last edited:

solidus12

It feels like we’re back in 2020… next thing we’ll read is that PS5 doesn’t have hardware based raytracing…

adamsapple

DF have impressions from the release version of the game.

- DF's full video will release on launch day cause of Capcom embargo
- Issues from the demo are mostly the same in the final release.
- Xbox still has deadzone issues and PS5 still has worse image quality even w/ the lens distortion off.
- Chromatic aberration especially on PS5 is broken so even if you like the effect, keep it off.
- Broken RT puddles are fixed in PS5 on final.
- PC version with Xbox controller feels bad as well, the problem seems to be with the controller zone configurations on Capcom's part
- John, again, comments about the PS5 versions lower VRR range in passing as a negative.

- DF's PC specific video will not be available on launch day. Will come at a later time.
- On launch day DF will have 2 videos, one covering the game as a remake w/ the original and the other comparing the console versions.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

- DF's full video will release on launch day cause of Capcom embargo
- Issues from the demo are mostly the same in the final release.
- Xbox still has deadzone issues and PS5 still has worse image quality even w/ the lens distortion off.
- Chromatic aberration especially on PS5 is broken so even if you like the effect, keep it off.
- Broken RT puddles are fixed in PS5 on final.
- PC version with Xbox controller feels bad as well, the problem seems to be with the controller zone configurations on Capcom's part
- John, again, comments about the PS5 versions lower VRR range in passing as a negative.

- DF's PC specific video will not be available on launch day. Will come at a later time.
- On launch day DF will have 2 videos, one covering the game as a remake w/ the original and the other comparing the console versions.

Thank you for this summary.

Sucks that on console we’re stuck with either less-than-optimized resolutions, or controller dead zones, when both machines could have those issues fixed with a patch from Capcom that will likely never come given

1) The overwhelmingly positive reviews
And
2) Capcom’s record of ignoring dead zone issues in other games (RE: Village on XSX reportedly had these issues as well).

Banned

- Xbox still has deadzone issues

a tiny fix for people that have the right equipment.

if you have an 8bitdo Ultimate for Xbox, download the configuration app, make a profile slot and check the box that turns off deadzones on the controller completely (which you should do regardless btw if you have that controller)

if you do that it seems the controller not only turns off deadzones but also sets a small negative deadzone.
that's what it feels like it to me at least.

so with the 8bitdo Ultimate and the deadzone off setting the game feels a little bit better to play.

I just was able to actually finish the demo without the urge to throw my console out the window.
so that's at least something.

don't go out an buy an 8bitdo just for that tho, it's a small improvement like I said, but not worth getting that controller for, especially since I had issues with it in other games that weren't there with the original controller.

the Xbox version ends up feeling roughly like the PC version on an Xbox controller if you use this setup. which is still much worse than PS5 mind you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom