• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake First Look: A Classic in the Making? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X and PC Tested

kingyala

Banned
Taxing COMPARED TO RE8 VILLAGE. Spiderman is a completely different game. You wont trash Horizon FW or GG for not doing 4k 50 fps with ray tracing like Spiderman, would you?

Now compared to RE8, it is doing things that are clearly better. You keep bringing up the PS4 version when I see you in the VG Tech which clearly lists all the upgrades over the PS4 version :

They are literally using half rate animations on the PS4. DF pointed out several areas that literally have textures so low they might as well be missing. The PS5 version is doing so much more, and all of that extra work is taxing on this engine.

Yes, devs need to leave last gen behind. Yes, devs need to optimize their games better. Yes, they couldve implemented a better checkerboarding technique but it is silly to suggest that this game should have the same performance as RE8 when there are clearly graphics upgrades here. If it was identical to RE8, it wouldve run at 4kcb 60 fps locked like RE8. Clearly they are pushing things here which is why they had to settle for 1800p. Their RT mode is 1440p cb because the RE8 RT mode regularly dipped below and was pretty much a 45 fps mode on PS5 in action scenes according to capcom alone. So clearly 4kcb wasnt enough for RE8 either.
i dont bring in forbidden west because it doesnt use raytracing but still uses more expensive rendering techniques than whatever this game is doing massively different the amount of data processed per scene in forbidden west is miles more expensive than this game... the ps5 isnt doing so much more than the ps4 on this game again its simply an optimization mess there is no reason at all for those low res textures on ps4. im sorry but nothing is impressive here

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just played the demo in Resolution mode with RT on and Hair rendering on and it was a mess. Dropping frames randomly all the way down to 48 fps, (probably below but my LGCX doesnt detect anything below 48 fps) but the shimmering wasnt as bad as it was in performance mode.

Then played the demo with RT and Hair rendering off along with all other options disabled and its pretty much a locked 60 fps, and the shimmering is pretty much disappeared. The IQ is still softer than my Native 4k PC version, but it looks clean and way better than the Performance mode. Id highly recommend playing this game in resolution mode with everything else turned off.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just played the demo in Resolution mode with RT on and Hair rendering on and it was a mess. Dropping frames randomly all the way down to 48 fps, (probably below but my LGCX doesnt detect anything below 48 fps) but the shimmering wasnt as bad as it was in performance mode.

Then played the demo with RT and Hair rendering off along with all other options disabled and its pretty much a locked 60 fps, and the shimmering is pretty much disappeared. The IQ is still softer than my Native 4k PC version, but it looks clean and way better than the Performance mode. Id highly recommend playing this game in resolution mode with everything else turned off.

Resolution mode even with those two off is far from a pretty much locked 60 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

adamsapple

I literally just played it with the framerate counter on.

I also turned off all the other depth of field settings.

I've tried on both PS5 and SX and the frame rate drops from the VRR too frequently, especially on PS5 with the 48hz threshold, that I can't recommend it to anyone unless there's a mid-gen revision.

I don't know how you got it to a locked 60 but I just can't.

SlimySnake

I've tried on both PS5 and SX and the frame rate drops from the VRR too frequently, especially on PS5 with the 48hz threshold, that I can't recommend it to anyone unless there's a mid-gen revision.

I don't know how you got it to a locked 60 but I just can't.
Did you turn off rt, hair and other features?

What TV do you have?

adamsapple

Did you turn off rt, hair and other features?

What TV do you have?

Yes, I tried with everything off. The judder, again more notable on PS5, is happening from the off-set of the demo.

I'm gaming on a monitor, the Gigabyte M32U. It supports VRR for both, so I'm definitely not playing without that anywhere.

I played ps5 with all those settings OFF as well and it's definitely not close to a locked 60 ...

I think this is a disappointing effort on ps5. It's probably doing more than re8 especially during sections where there are a lot of detailed enemies on screen but most other scenes it looks about equal maybe a touch more impressive but with worse resolution and IQ. Feel like they shouldve at least gotten it on par visually with the SX version and then nobody would be complaining.

Did DF say whether the review copy had improved iq over the demo? I don't bother watching their videos because there's always something that winds up passing me off when I do. Usually it's them being too lenient on games when they should be calling devs out.

Banned
You're wrong on that

dude, I LITERALLY HAVE NUMBERS...

you can remote play to a PC and then literally test the exact deadzone.
and out of curiosity after watching some yt videos of people testing the deadzone in RE4, I redownloaded 2 and 3 and tested those just to see.
and 2 basically has the exact same deadzone size, maybe 2% less at most.

re3 meanwhile has about a 10% deadzone, similar to re4 on PS5

Last edited:
I don't know what's prompting this. Doesn't look like there's any/many changes between the demo and final aside from the PS5 version fixing the missing RT in puddles.

The IQ is the same, the deadzone issues are the same.

DF/VG/NX have in almost all cases come up with different pixel counts in most games, that's .. what DRS does.

Damn. Capcom also has a bad history of not making major improvements post launch.

dude, I LITERALLY HAVE NUMBERS...

you can remote play to a PC and then literally test the exact deadzone.
and out of curiosity after watching some yt videos of people testing the deadzone in RE4, I redownloaded 2 and 3 and tested those just to see.
and 2 basically has the exact same deadzone size, maybe 2% less at most.

re3 meanwhile has about a 10% deadzone, similar to re4 on PS5

Hmm. Hard to believe bases on how they feel so different but if you have some way of testing the numbers u must be right

Banned
Hmm. Hard to believe bases on how they feel so different but if you have some way of testing the numbers u must be right

you can too if you have a pc and use remote play.

there are test apps and websites that will give you the exact numbers your controller outputs. you slowly move the stick and try to hit the exact point at which the camera starts to move.
the app/website will display how far you moved the stick and that's your deadzone right there.

in RE2 in my test it was about 34%
in RE3 it was like 11% maybe 10 or 12 (I wasn't testing it too rigorously)

in RE4 it is also about 35% maybe +/- 1%

Last edited:

MacReady13

00:00:00 Introduction
00:02:48 New Hair Strand Rendering
00:06:47 Ray Traced Reflections
00:08:59 Texture Quality Differences between Versions
00:10:36 Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, Volumetric Lighting
00:12:39 PS5 and XSX Image Quality in both Frame-Rate/Resolution Modes
:16:03 PS5, PS4 and XSX Performance Analysis + Mode Recommendations
1:47 Xbox Control Issues
:22:44 PC Version Advantages and Issues
0:27:35 John and Alex have fun
:35:20 Conclusion

Won’t watch anything with that hack Battaglia so I’ll pass but thanks for all the info from the video. Rather get my info from other sources…

TonyK

Thing is I would buy the game day 1 in Xbox if I knew controls never will be patched. But meanwhile there is hope for a fix I can't enjoy the actual controls.

Capcom, do you want my money? Then say something for good or for bad.

Banned
Won’t watch anything with that hack Battaglia so I’ll pass but thanks for all the info from the video. Rather get my info from other sources…

oh another one who arbitrarily decided who is trustworthy and who isn't without any objective reason.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Thing is I would buy the game day 1 in Xbox if I knew controls never will be patched. But meanwhile there is hope for a fix I can't enjoy the actual controls.

Capcom, do you want my money? Then say something for good or for bad.

They've kinda been bad about fixing fundamental mechanics in their games so .. yeah .. if the day 1 patch doesn't improve it, I won't expect it to ever be addressed.

adamsapple

In the mean time, play the demo. If you can get a hang of the analog curve with the demo, you're gonna be ok for the final game.

Similarly, if you find the IQ and shimmering tolerable on the PS5, you'll be OK with the final game there as well.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
capcom rarely patches anything really, unless it's a very obvious technical issue
Thats just not true, you just have to wait a little longer, just never buy decade 1. They just released a patch for RE5 on PC to allow split screen co-op for example.

SlimySnake

Yes, I tried with everything off. The judder, again more notable on PS5, is happening from the off-set of the demo.

I'm gaming on a monitor, the Gigabyte M32U. It supports VRR for both, so I'm definitely not playing without that anywhere.
Ok i tried it again and this time recorded the tv overlay with a camera and it definitely still drops so i was wrong.

However, it’s no longer the sustained drops below 50 i was seeing with rt and hair on. It drops briefly to 51 and jumps back up at random times. Sometimes with nothing going on. During combat it rarely drops. And again it is random. I went through the same section twice and it dropped to 55 then 51 fps the back up almost immediately. Definitely not a gpu related drop. Maybe the drs isn’t working on time.

Anchovie123

The hair looks like shit and the game doesnt seem to have many reflective surfaces so turning that all off seems like a no brainer.

Hurahn7

Banned
he doesnt normally care about consoles but thats not the issue... the problem started years ago before the consoles came out he firstly claimed ssd's wont improve graphics when the the world heard about mark cernys patents on ps5 io, he then kept on going saying that even ater ue5 was demoed on ps5 he came out and doctored that ue5 presentation made a whole analysis video and never mentioned ssd once despite developers saying ue5 was invented with ssds in mind and that demo wouldnt be possible without it...

then he also claimed series x 12 tf will make it perform better than ps5 and used contorol's photo mode as an example... which was educational but he adamantly claimed that the resulsts of that photomode test proves that series x will always outperform ps5 to which he was miserably wrong as the more games came out the more we saw both consoles performing similarly... so ever since then hes been trying to save his face from all the fraud assumptions he made by making more doctored analysis video's in favour of series x, we even saw recently when df where discussing why the ps5 performs better than series x most of the times and john who spoke to developers said devs preferred ps5 api and its easy to design for to which alex jumped in and tried to doctor john's findings bu again saying devs dont optimize for xbox because it doesnt sell more... ive tried my best to follow the guy but hes lost all credentials u can go over to beyond 3d forums and check any statement made there that discredits ps5 will have a thumbs up from alex... you can go check it yourself... as a media person he should be impartial but he lies everytime like FOX NEWS or MSNBC
How the fuck does this affect you in any kind of way? You can look at or read about 3 reviews/impressions and determine from the information whether you want to buy a game or not. You have more than one source of information. You sound like a fanboy. I don't keep tabs on these people. You shouldn't either. Play games. LOL

kingyala

Banned
How the fuck does this affect you in any kind of way? You can look at or read about 3 reviews/impressions and determine from the information whether you want to buy a game or not. You have more than one source of information. You sound like a fanboy. I don't keep tabs on these people. You shouldn't either. Play games. LOL
it snot about deciding to purchase a game its about understanding the differences in the versions and whats causing the differences im a computer engineering hobbyist and i make games as a hobby so seeing doctored analysis from trusted content creators really destroys the purpose and my hobby its simply more lies and we already have tv news channels for that, im interested in technical reviews for educational purposes but the content creators are fanboys and thats the problem.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Smashed through the demo a few times on xbox. It looks so pretty and I can actually handle the deadzone now.

Not ideal but I'm not missing shots really or anything. Guess my brain has just compensated. Roll on next week.

Performance mode here we come.

Last edited:

Senua

I don’t need to justify my reasons to you or anyone as to why I don’t watch that overly judgemental piece of shit.
Chilling Chill Out GIF by Food52

In the mean time, play the demo. If you can get a hang of the analog curve with the demo, you're gonna be ok for the final game.

Similarly, if you find the IQ and shimmering tolerable on the PS5, you'll be OK with the final game there as well.
Yes but this is really a shame for both versions because we know there is very little chance they patch anything on consoles as history showed.

Rykan

he doesnt normally care about consoles but thats not the issue... the problem started years ago before the consoles came out he firstly claimed ssd's wont improve graphics when the the world heard about mark cernys patents on ps5 io, he then kept on going saying that even ater ue5 was demoed on ps5 he came out and doctored that ue5 presentation made a whole analysis video and never mentioned ssd once despite developers saying ue5 was invented with ssds in mind and that demo wouldnt be possible without it...

then he also claimed series x 12 tf will make it perform better than ps5 and used contorol's photo mode as an example... which was educational but he adamantly claimed that the resulsts of that photomode test proves that series x will always outperform ps5 to which he was miserably wrong as the more games came out the more we saw both consoles performing similarly... so ever since then hes been trying to save his face from all the fraud assumptions he made by making more doctored analysis video's in favour of series x, we even saw recently when df where discussing why the ps5 performs better than series x most of the times and john who spoke to developers said devs preferred ps5 api and its easy to design for to which alex jumped in and tried to doctor john's findings bu again saying devs dont optimize for xbox because it doesnt sell more... ive tried my best to follow the guy but hes lost all credentials u can go over to beyond 3d forums and check any statement made there that discredits ps5 will have a thumbs up from alex... you can go check it yourself... as a media person he should be impartial but he lies everytime like FOX NEWS or MSNBC
To be frank, this kind of bullshit can ef right off.

These are professionals who do video game tech analysis for a living. You trying to paint him as "biased" because you take statements out of context and claiming he makes "doctored analysis to "Favor the Series X" for apparently no reason is absurd and embarrassing. Seek Help.

kingyala

Banned
To be frank, this kind of bullshit can ef right off.

These are professionals who do video game tech analysis for a living. You trying to paint him as "biased" because you take statements out of context and claiming he makes "doctored analysis to "Favor the Series X" for apparently no reason is absurd and embarrassing. Seek Help.
it isnt just me alot of people online have found alex to be biased even other so called professionals... so it isnt bullshit and professionals go to school and study a profession can you tell me what profession did alex get a diploma from if not then u should cut the bullshit instead.

Rykan

it isnt just me alot of people online have found alex to be biased even other so called professionals... so it isnt bullshit and professionals go to school and study a profession can you tell me what profession did alex get a diploma from if not then u should cut the bullshit instead.
Yeah, you know who else calls DF the bias? Fanboys whenever DF points out anything remotely negative about the performance of a game on their favorite system. Your accusations that his analysis is "doctored" to suit some "Pro series X bias" for whatever reason is completely baseless. Also, I suggest you take a moment to look up the definition of the term professional because it doesn't mean what you think it means.

kingyala

Banned
Yeah, you know who else calls DF the bias? Fanboys whenever DF points out anything remotely negative about the performance of a game on their favorite system. Your accusations that his analysis is "doctored" to suit some "Pro series X bias" for whatever reason is completely baseless. Also, I suggest you take a moment to look up the definition of the term professional because it doesn't mean what you think it means.
who bestowed the title professional to alex or any df member, we simply follow df as content creators for reviews or analysis not because they are " professionals",,, hahaha and i know fanboys always fight over what plastic box is better but thats not what im interested in... i studied computer engineering and im always interested in technology and console designs its why i hate stupid bias which for a long time of watching df ive always noticed how alex doctors his videos and explanations with no context to claim ps5 is worse...

And ive given you examples, besides this video where they didnt show side by side comparisons and jumped to vrr saves the day bs, he also claimed series x had a better performimg gpu because of control photomode test, he then claimed ssd's wont improve graphics after the ps5 io was presented even after ue5 developers and actual computer graphics engineers saying ssd's do improve graphics, he then compared another crossgen game hitman 3 and claimed the resolution diffference of 1800p on ps5 and 2160p on series x as the PROOF'' series x 12 tf was better than ps5's 10tf... which was another doctored analysis since there where games and still are games that run not only similar but sometimes with more resolution and performance on ps5... example the touryst, recently, wo long, wild hearts, cod games... Im not claiming ps5 to be better im simply saying theres more interesting things to pick up on how both consoles perform and itll be better for fans like me for educational purposes if biased content lords like alex just stop analyzing console games and keep their bias away..

theres just alot of evidence showing alex's bias too much evidence that u cant even hide under the carpet.

Rykan

who bestowed the title professional to alex or any df member, we simply follow df as content creators for reviews or analysis not because they are " professionals",,, hahaha and i know fanboys always fight over what plastic box is better but thats not what im interested in... i studied computer engineering and im always interested in technology and console designs its why i hate stupid bias which for a long time of watching df ive always noticed how alex doctors his videos and explanations with no context to claim ps5 is worse...

And ive given you examples, besides this video where they didnt show side by side comparisons and jumped to vrr saves the day bs, he also claimed series x had a better performimg gpu because of control photomode test, he then claimed ssd's wont improve graphics after the ps5 io was presented even after ue5 developers and actual computer graphics engineers saying ssd's do improve graphics, he then compared another crossgen game hitman 3 and claimed the resolution diffference of 1800p on ps5 and 2160p on series x as the PROOF'' series x 12 tf was better than ps5's 10tf... which was another doctored analysis since there where games and still are games that run not only similar but sometimes with more resolution and performance on ps5... example the touryst, recently, wo long, wild hearts, cod games... Im not claiming ps5 to be better im simply saying theres more interesting things to pick up on how both consoles perform and itll be better for fans like me for educational purposes if biased content lords like alex just stop analyzing console games and keep their bias away..

theres just alot of evidence showing alex's bias too much evidence that u cant even hide under the carpet.
Your examples are disingenuous

I've actually went over his Hitman 3 Analysis and he's saying that the Xbox Series X GPU fares better compared to PC GPU's in that particular game. That doesn't make him biased. It's a completely reasonable statements and the fact that the PS5 performs out the Xbox series X in certain games doesn't change that, because there are far more variables that decide performance than just raw GPU horsepower.

I'm wondering which of your claims is less likely to be true: Your claim that you "Studied computer engineering" or your insistence that this nonsense isn't the result of rampant fanboyism.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I've actually went over his Hitman 3 Analysis and he's saying that the Xbox Series X GPU fares better compared to PC GPU's in that particular game. That doesn't make him biased. It's a completely reasonable statements and the fact that the PS5 performs out the Xbox series X in certain games doesn't change that, because there are far more variables that decide performance than just raw GPU horsepower.

I'm wondering which of your claims is less likely to be true: Your claim that you "Studied computer engineering" or your insistence that this nonsense isn't the result of rampant fanboyism.
Are we talking from the same Alex who was a former Xbox discord member and who notoriously refused to accept that PS5 has any kind of RT accelerator hardware even after the official spec reveal/Road to PS5? And who since then consistently proved himself to be blatantly biased in context of PS5/XSX with numerous posts in such forums such as Resetera and Beyond3d? The man doesn't even remotely try to hide his bias, he his known quantity. I think you are highly unfamiliar with his post history and comments.

Last edited:

Rykan

Are we talking from the same Alex who was a former Xbox discord member and who notoriously refused to accept that PS5 has any kind of RT accelerator hardware even after the official spec reveal/Road to PS5? And who since then consistently proved himself to be blatantly biased in context of PS5/XSX with numerous posts in such forums such as Resetera and Beyond3d? The man doesn't even remotely try to hide his bias, he his known quantity. I think you are highly unfamiliar wih his post history and comments.
WHAT!? He was a member of an Xbox Discord Channel!? Unmistakably Biased!

I'm sure you have a link to these blatantly biased posts you speak of?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are we talking from the same Alex who was a former Xbox discord member and who notoriously refused to accept that PS5 has any kind of RT accelerator hardware even after the official spec reveal/Road to PS5? And who since then consistently proved himself to be blatantly biased in context of PS5/XSX with numerous posts in such forums such as Resetera and Beyond3d? The man doesn't even remotely try to hide his bias, he his known quantity. I think you are highly unfamiliar with his post history and comments.

Do you have receipts for all this?

Lysandros

WHAT!? He was a member of an Xbox Discord Channel!? Unmistakably Biased!

I'm sure you have a link to these blatantly biased posts you speak of?
Just the latest examples in context of Hogwarts. Now you are absolutely free to believe that he is perfectly objective, fine by me. Not going to dig up all his posts throughout the years. You can do your own research on the matter for the rest.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned

you can keep wondering until jesus comes back, it wont change the fact that alot of people have found alex to be biased on ps hardware and that i studied computer engineering.. whether u like it or not it is what it is.

kingyala

Banned
Just the latest examples in context of Hogwarts. Now you re absolutely free to believe that he is perfectly objective, fine by me. Not going to dig up all his posts throughout the years. You can do your own research on the matter for the rest.

[/URL]

[/URL]
exactly and when you point his bias out.... the whole mob calls you an fanboy... people this days dont want to think and reason they just love propaganda that makes them feel better about them selves than the obvious truth.

JimboJones

Not much point in arguing with these people, they make claims people are biased but most of their post history paints their own biases very clearly.

Rykan

Just the latest examples in context of Hogwarts. Now you are absolutely free to believe that he is perfectly objective, fine by me. Not going to dig up all his posts throughout the years. You can do your own research on the matter for the rest.

And what about these two examples is "blatantly biased" exactly?

Top Bottom