• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: MultiVersus vs Super Smash Bros Ultimate - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The full tech breakdown of Warner Bros. new multiplayer brawler, MultiVersus. Comparisons to Nintendo's original Smash Bros. series are inevitable but the Unreal Engine 4 at this new contender's heart gives it a unique visual style. How does the technology compare though? And what of its delivery on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles? Tom finds out.

--

Text article:

MultiVersus' technical make-up on console is strong. In a nutshell you get a native 4K at 60fps on PS5 and Xbox Series X, while Series S targets 1440p at 60fps. Dynamic scaling might be in use, given it's an Unreal Engine title, but frame-rates are typically rock-solid at 60fps on all three machines - barring unique small drops on PS5 during the Sky Arena stage.

The first point of comparison is in image quality. To Multiversus' credit it sports a pristine, almost aliasing-free image owing to its 4K resolution on premium consoles. It looks clean in a way Smash Ultimate simply cannot compete with on Switch, being stuck at 1080p.

Let's compare the colosseum stages. The 4K resolution favours MultiVerse when it comes to overall image quality, but often the comparisons favour Smash Bros. Ultimate when looking at stage detail.

Comparisons between MultiVersus and Smash Bros Ultimate show a huge difference in approach to character rendering. Materials like Mario's dungarees are presented as a texture map, giving the impression of a higher-frequency detail. As for MultiVerse? It's more minimalist, cleaner, falling closer to a CG animation.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not covered in the text article but only mentioned in the video are the drops in the character select screen to low 50s on PS5. The two Series consoles don't seem to have these either.

123t3joy.png

Perhaps Lysandros Lysandros 's worry about UE4 differences is warranted, this is a UE4 game too.

Not covered in the text article but only mentioned in the video are the drops in the character select screen to low 50s on PS5. The two Series consoles don't seem to have these either.

123t3joy.png

Perhaps Lysandros Lysandros 's worry about UE4 differences is warranted, this is a UE4 game too.

So gameplay is a locked 60FPs on PS5?

That is really weird if true.

Fbh

Visually this looks like it should be able to handle some sort of 1440p 120fps mode on SX and Ps5. Hopefully we get something like that in the future.

clampzyn

Visually this looks like it should be able to handle some sort of 1440p 120fps mode on SX and Ps5. Hopefully we get something like that in the future

The game is still on last gen platforms, if they made a 120fps version of current gen consoles it would have an input lag latency advantage that's why the game is capped at 60.

The game is still on last gen platforms, if they made a 120fps version of current gen consoles it would have an input lag latency advantage that's why the game is capped at 60.
Halo Inifinite has 120fps and 60fps versions competing in the same game. Before I got my Series X, I was regularly playing against friends and owning them, so don't know how big a difference this percieved latency and lag makes?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I still haven't been able to get past the "Connection Lost" main menu screen. (PS5)

Has anybody got any tips? Every other online game works just fine.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, visually it cannot compete with Smash which is the peak on the genre I'm basically every possible way, no way it's running better though since it's on more powerful hardware but smash is also a 1080p@60fps game so it's not like matters anyway lol

I've been playing this game off and on since I got into the closed beta. I agree with DF that it lacks some stage detail and is barebones compared to Smash.
Also, they really need to up their game with sound because if you turn off the music, it can be really barren when playing. Since it is a live service game and still in beta, hopefully this sort of stuff will be addressed.

DF was harping a lot about it being limited to WB characters, but the devs have already stated that they are not closed off to any characters being in the game assuming they can get it approved. Would love to see MS allow Master Chief, Arbiter or other MS ip in the game. Conker would fit in well :)

I actually thought it was a good comparison and makes me appreciate Smash more. I've never played a Smash game and haven't owned a Nintendo platform since the Gamecube, but have thought about getting a Switch. Maybe if they release a Switch 2 and it is Back compat

GametimeUK

I've been saying it in a few threads recently, but these performance trends really show the Xbox is coming into its own.

Performance is great on all consoles and customers should be happy with the performance they are getting, but from a technical analysis standpoint it's interesting to see the Xbox have the lead over the competition that it should have had from day one. I bet the gap widens too.

Synless

I've been saying it in a few threads recently, but these performance trends really show the Xbox is coming into its own.

Performance is great on all consoles and customers should be happy with the performance they are getting, but from a technical analysis standpoint it's interesting to see the Xbox have the lead over the competition that it should have had from day one. I bet the gap widens too.
There is no fucking reason any of what you said should be a defense of this game running better on Xbox. It is a barebones sterile looking game, it’s not pushing any envelope either system.

GametimeUK

There is no fucking reason any of what you said should be a defense of this game running better on Xbox. It is a barebones sterile looking game, it’s not pushing any envelope either system.
Can I ask how I'm defending anything? I'm just discussing the results. I'm only saying the more powerful console (on paper) is outperforming the slightly less powerful console (on paper) a lot lately as it (seemingly) should judging by the consoles specs.

It's like when I praise Sony load speeds. If there was an anomaly and the Xbox games were loading faster than PS5 games I'd have an opinion on it because (on paper) it shouldn't due to Sony having the superior SSD.

No defending here, lad. Just discussing hardware and results and lately things are how they should be (on paper).

Codes 208

Halo Inifinite has 120fps and 60fps versions competing in the same game. Before I got my Series X, I was regularly playing against friends and owning them, so don't know how big a difference this percieved latency and lag makes?
Fighters are more esports centric than most shooters. DBFZ was also locked to 60fps on all platforms including pc. The devs dont want any kind of advantage for one platform over another especially when cross-play on by default.

Last edited:
What's the math on why this is NOT on Switch? Seems odd but maybe I don't know the whole story.
From the video, it sounds like because it's cross platform, and the Switch would hold it back regarding roll back netcode. I would think from a money making perspective, they'll eventually want to put in on the Switch regardless, though. They might not allow cross play if that would be an issue for other consoles, but they'd be crazy to never put it on Switch.

Synless

Can I ask how I'm defending anything? I'm just discussing the results. I'm only saying the more powerful console (on paper) is outperforming the slightly less powerful console (on paper) a lot lately as it (seemingly) should judging by the consoles specs.

It's like when I praise Sony load speeds. If there was an anomaly and the Xbox games were loading faster than PS5 games I'd have an opinion on it because (on paper) it shouldn't due to Sony having the superior SSD.

No defending here, lad. Just discussing hardware and results and lately things are how they should be (on paper).
You twice mention talk about how this game and others are an indication of the widening gap (console warrior shit) and my point is this game is simple as fuck even compared to SSBU and not indicative of Xbox’s power. There is no reason the game runs better, it is basic as fuck. I bet it’s easily patched out.

So lad, yes you were.

One more note, If this were any other game that was actually graphically intensive I would agree with you 100%. This game however is not the one to get high horsed about.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

You twice mention talk about how this game and others are an indication of the widening gap (console warrior shit) and my point is this game is simple as fuck even compared to SSBU and not indicative of Xbox’s power. There is no reason the game runs better, it is basic as fuck. I bet it’s easily patched out.

So lad, yes you were.

It's not console warrior BS. It's simple facts and figures. There's absolutely nothing wrong with observing, acknowledging and discussing the more powerful console having games run better on it. It's how it should be. The fact you're so triggered by it is astounding. If you can't handle discussions based on facts and testing then these threads aren't for you. This isn't debating what game is better Halo vs God of War or what system is the best, its strictly objective. Chill out lad you're on a proper mad one here they're only game consoles.

I don't warrior for any console. I own both, but PC is my favourite platform by far. Even then if a game runs better on console than my PC (Stray for example) I just buy it there. No BS here, lad.

Last edited:

modiz

So lad, yes you were.

One more note, If this were any other game that was actually graphically intensive I would agree with you 100%. This game however is not the one to get high horsed about.
You cannot judge how demanding a game is by only looking at it.

Lasha

How does PC compare to Xbox series consoles? Xbox games are run in what is basically a windows VM. Series S consoles are just a lower performance profile of the same VM. The Xbox advantage could simply be a result of being closer to the PC version.

Banned
You cannot judge how demanding a game is by only looking at it.

exactly.
you could have MagaMan 10 style graphics and simply add The Witcher 2's highest DoF setting for the background layer and it instantly would fry the GPU of all consoles while not looking dramatically demanding at first glance.

Last edited:

Synless

great to know that you know the game so well, are you a developer?
I don’t have to be a developer to see what’s in front of me. There are plenty of unreal engine 4 games that are more technically more demanding, with more going on, at the same resolutions, at the same framerate.

So I have a plenty to compare it with. Also, watch the video. It literally outlines how unremarkable it is without saying it outright.

Last edited:

Lysandros

We got it already, try to change your wording a bit at least.

Banned
I don’t have to be a developer to see what’s in front of me. There are plenty of unreal engine 4 games that are more technically more demanding, with more going on, at the same resolutions, at the same framerate.

So I have a plenty to compare it with.

"good looking"/"complex looking" and "demanding" are not the same thing.

you can make a 2D sprite based game that is more demanding than Cyberpunk on 4k ultra with RT maxed.
you'd be a pretty bad dev if you did but it's still possible.

Doom Eternal maxed out with RT is way less demanding than Ghostrunner maxed out with RT... yet somehow Doom is not only better looking but also has more complex Leveldesign and more enemies on screen at once
🤔

Last edited:

Lysandros

Really curious about what's going on with UE4 and PS5 lately.

Edit: Maybe this is more related to june Xbox GDK update, which supposedly improved "performance for graphics memory allocations"?

Last edited:

Synless

"good looking"/"complex looking" and "demanding" are not the same thing.

you can make a 2D sprite based game that is more demanding than Cyberpunk on 4k ultra with RT maxed.
you'd be a pretty bad dev if you did but it's still possible.

Doom Eternal maxed out with RT is way less demanding than Ghostrunner maxed out with RT... yet somehow Doom is not only better looking but also has more complex Leveldesign and more enemies on screen at once
🤔
Take the definitions aside and you’ve already outlined what my original statement to the person was. There are plenty of games I would agree show that Xbox is the more powerful console. This is not it.

I understand everything you are saying, I understood it in your other post to the other person. The point, the only one I’m making is the game is doing nothing remarkable, it’s pushing zero tech envelopes, it’s on an established engine which has shown there is little to no reason to not run flawlessly considering how little ambition this game was designed with.

Banned
Take the definitions aside and you’ve already outlined what my original statement to the person was. There are plenty of games I would agree show that Xbox is the more powerful console. This is not it.

I understand everything you are saying, I understood it in your other post to the other person. The point, the only one I’m making is the game is doing nothing remarkable, it’s pushing zero tech envelopes, it’s on an established engine which has shown there is little to no reason to not run flawlessly considering how little ambition this game was designed with.

it doesn't matter what the game pushes.

what is happening is that the game has aspects in its graphics that in some rare cases overwhelm the GPU of the PS5.

it doesn't matter if it pushes any remarkable graphics features or not.

what could happen here is that some of the effects used, especially in the character select, are simply too demanding for the PS5.
why that is is not really important as both versions most likely use the exact same settings and everything displayed on screen is identical on both GPUs

whatever it is runs better on Series X 🤷

now maybe it is a rogue graphics setting like that weird auto optimisation setting used in the Xbox versions of Elden Ring (which was thankfully patched out recently) that tanked performance like crazy...

so that would be something you could point to to say you can't use the game as an example of which is the more powerful console.

if they both run the exact same settings tho, you can totally use it as an example, because like I said, it doesn't matter if a game looks demanding, it can be demanding for weird reason that aren't apparent at first.
could be there's something on that VS screen that leads to a shitload of overdraw (objects hidden behind the menu background, maybe placed there to compile shaders),
or could be that one or more effects used (DoF, transparencies etc.) are just a bit much while looking not really impressive

Last edited:
Top Bottom