• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry has heard from their sources that PS5 will cost $500 + and may be all the way up to $700, same applies for Series X

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
What wild claim? Lots of people spend less on their phones than $400. I did. Most of the people I know did.

By your own rules, you're not allowed to split the cost over time to get to equivalent units of expenditure (you've already lost the argument on that basis, remember).

Why would that be if prices are defined by a product's usefulness?

Hell, why am I even bothering with trying to make the relatively marginal case of phones vs consoles stick?

What about a vacuum cleaner? Way more useful than a console, much cheaper. A dishwasher, the same. Lots of fridges (virtually a necessity), the same.

Why do millions of people spend more on a "toy" than essential items like those, if your theory was even remotely correct?

"Lot's" you're throwing out some wild claims here and not supporting them. Where do you get the "Lot's" from. Bearing in mind that the majority of PS4's were sold below the $400 launch and that iPhones make up the largest market share in the US where is this "lot's" coming from (also stated as "possible majority") and how much/how many is "lots"?

The average across years was used becuase that's how you've been trying to define the value of an overpriced console - by defining it's value as spread across a arbitrary lifespan. That's your reasoning - the fact that you don't like it makes a bit of a mockery of your arguments up to this point.

So... citation needed. "lots"

Hunnybun

"Lot's" you're throwing out some wild claims here and not supporting them. Where do you get the "Lot's" from. Bearing in mind that the majority of PS4's were sold below the $400 launch and that iPhones make up the largest market share in the US where is this "lot's" coming from (also stated as "possible majority") and how much/how many is "lots"?

The average across years was used becuase that's how you've been trying to define the value of an overpriced console - by defining it's value as spread across a arbitrary lifespan. That's your reasoning - the fact that you don't like it makes a bit of a mockery of your arguments up to this point.

So... citation needed. "lots"

Shock, you avoided the question that would've proved you wrong.

I avoided the price averaging because you refused to engage with it. You either accept it or you don't. If you do, I already proved you wrong. If not, you've no business using it now.

But who cares, because we can just end this if you answer the question. Can I take it that if you don't answer you're conceding the point? I think that's fair, I've given you 2 chances.

TLZ

Banned
I have a feeling this is all carefully orchestrated by Sony leaking big number rumors, then to do a shock reveal of $399. They know this number worked great for them.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Shock, you avoided the question that would've proved you wrong.

I avoided the price averaging because you refused to engage with it. You either accept it or you don't. If you do, I already proved you wrong. If not, you've no business using it now.

But who cares, because we can just end this if you answer the question. Can I take it that if you don't answer you're conceding the point? I think that's fair, I've given you 2 chances.

No, I didn't, I just asked you to verify your claim. Happy to answer so long as you can support your claim, or at least provide some definition.

Every time you're asked to support your claims you thow a hissy fit and start calling names or flip-flop onto something else. It's not asking a lot - you said "lots" and a "possible majority" of console owners paid more for their console than their phone. Given the iPhone holds the largest market share in the US and an iPhone is typically far more expensive than a PS4 it's not unreasonable to question the validity your claim or to define it's merit.

Don't throw a tantrum. Don't flip-flop onto some other wild tangent. Just provide backing for your claim so that it can be answered.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

No, I didn't, I just asked you to verify your claim. Happy to answer so long as you can support your claim, or at least provide some definition.

Every time you're asked to support your claims you thow a hissy fit and start calling names or flip-flop onto something else. It's not asking a lot - you said "lots" and a "possible majority" of console owners paid more for their console than their phone. Given the iPhone holds the largest market share in the US and an iPhone is typically far more expensive than a PS4 it's not unreasonable to question the validity your claim or to define it's merit.

Don't throw a tantrum. Don't flip-flop onto some other wild tangent. Just provide backing for your claim so that it can be answered.

Right, so you're refusing to answer. Got it.

GermanZepp

If there is any, which part of the PS5 do you guys think is cheaper to manufacture?. I mean if we expect PS5 to be cheaper than XSX. The APU with less CUs ? right? PS5 supposedly has a more expensive cooling system, maybe though. Those thing are a significant amount to try to price cut the competition?

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Right, so you're refusing to answer. Got it.

No, happy to answer it. Just define what it is please.

"Lot's" - what am I answering? is "lot's" 1000, 100,000, 10000000 consumers? is it 20, 40, 70, 90% of consumers? you said it was probably a majority so I asusme it must be in the millions and >50% userbase so you must have the figures. How much did they pay for their console versus their phone?

Happy to answer/discuss why they may have - if it's true. Which is doubtful given your evasion.

THE:MILKMAN

If there is any, which part of the PS5 do you guys think is cheaper to manufacture?. I mean if we expect PS5 to be cheaper than XSX. The APU with less CUs ? right? PS5 supposedly has a more expensive cooling system, maybe though. Those thing are a significant amount to try to price cut the competition?

Yes.

Smaller APU die size = less cost each as you get more dies per wafer. Also its likely Sony buy more wafers than Microsoft which means less cost per wafer I would think? PS4 APU was slightly smaller than Xbox One but was estimated at $10 less I think.

Less RAM chips and higher quantities = lower cost.

One advantage Sony have for nearly every part is the sheer quantities their contracts need versus Microsoft. That alone allows either more/better for the same pricing or the same for less cost/unit.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
A PS5 costs roughly $450 to manufacture. I'm not sure if this is with the controller. If it isn't then the $500+ makes sense.

Also I find it really funny how people are willing to spend $700+ on a phone every 2-3 years but nothing more for than $500 for a console that they'll change in 5-7 years.

This is the console gamer mentality and I agree it’s ignorant and hypocritical. Every single other industry is allowed to charge more when new tech advances are made except gaming.

For comparison the Atari 2600 launched at $200. Equivalent of today’s dollars is around $800.

I also feel this way about the cost of games, too. I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but games should cost $70-80 brand new. But no one is willing to pay these prices. They rejected any and all price increases and so now we have season passes,on disc DLC, lootboxes, etc. Of course, it’s now too late to ever go back. Because if they did raise prices today, they’d keep all that other bullshit too.

Get ready for unlockable features already on consoles for a “low monthly price”.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Imagine paying over 400 for a digital only version💩

might as well wear this nice golden sony/microsoft fuckbuddy ring. That comes with that edition.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

What wild claim? Lots of people spend less on their phones than $400. I did. Most of the people I know did.

By your own rules, you're not allowed to split the cost over time to get to equivalent units of expenditure (you've already lost the argument on that basis, remember).

Why would that be if prices are defined by a product's usefulness?

Hell, why am I even bothering with trying to make the relatively marginal case of phones vs consoles stick?

What about a vacuum cleaner? Way more useful than a console, much cheaper. A dishwasher, the same. Lots of fridges (virtually a necessity), the same.

Why do millions of people spend more on a "toy" than essential items like those, if your theory was even remotely correct?

gradient gradient

See above. Are you just not reading my posts or something?

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
gradient gradient

See above. Are you just not reading my posts or something?

See what above?

You've made a claim, a dubious one at that, and haven't provided anything to substantiate it.

If you really want an answer then based upon your evasion and inability to provide citation or even definition for the ambiguity of that claim:

"Why do lots of people (possibly the majority of console owners) spend more on a console than they do on a phone, if prices are defined by a product's utility?"

They don't - you made that claim up.

Amiga

A PS5 costs roughly $450 to manufacture. I'm not sure if this is with the controller. If it isn't then the $500+ makes sense.

Also I find it really funny how people are willing to spend $700+ on a phone every 2-3 years but nothing more for than $500 for a console that they'll change in 5-7 years.
$700 could for anouther modle with extra SSD space.

Did they break down how much of that $450 is the cost of the SSD

Hunnybun

See what above?

You've made a claim, a dubious one at that, and haven't provided anything to substantiate it.

If you really want an answer then based upon your evasion and inability to provide citation or even definition for the ambiguity of that claim:

"Why do lots of people (possibly the majority of console owners) spend more on a console than they do on a phone, if prices are defined by a product's utility?"

They don't - you made that claim up.

The last fucking question posed!!!!

I don't know how you can read that post and still think I want you to bleat on about mobile phones!

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
The last fucking question posed!!!!

I don't know how you can read that post and still think I want you to bleat on about mobile phones!

You posted the question. The question is answered. The answer is that you're making it up and have no basis for that claim.

You asked me to answer so I've answered and right now all evidence suggests I'm right.

Stop the tantrums. Stop flip-flopping. If you believe my answer is wrong then prove it.

Last edited:

$700 could for anouther modle with extra SSD space.

Did they break down how much of that $450 is the cost of the SSD

Bloomberg had this graph for both consoles that suggested $150 for the SSD and $100 for RAM but that made zero sense against their $450 BOM estimate for the whole console.

360x-1.jpg

Amiga

Bloomberg had this graph for both consoles that suggested $150 for the SSD and $100 for RAM but that made zero sense against their $450 BOM estimate for the whole console.

360x-1.jpg
PS5 SSD should be more expensive than XSX, were they just guessing?

PS5 SSD should be more expensive than XSX, were they just guessing?

Possibly/probably but that is beside the point here. Those prices are way over the top in respect of the $450 BOM and for any reasonably priced console IMO.

And I'll just say the Bloomberg reporter has an "interesting" history when he was at WSJ.

Hunnybun

You posted the question. The question is answered. The answer is that you're making it up and have no basis for that claim.

You asked me to answer so I've answered and right now all evidence suggests I'm right.

Stop the tantrums. Stop flip-flopping. If you believe my answer is wrong then prove it.

Omfg are you for real? This has to be a wind up, right? Nobody could be this fucking thick, surely?

Every time I reply I'm like, ok, there's no way he can misinterpret THAT. And every time you do, or at least try to weasel out of it.

I'm done. You're just not capable of having an intelligent discussion.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Omfg are you for real? This has to be a wind up, right? Nobody could be this fucking thick, surely?

Every time I reply I'm like, ok, there's no way he can misinterpret THAT. And every time you do, or at least try to weasel out of it.

I'm done. You're just not capable of having an intelligent discussion.

Stop throwing a tantrum. Stop name calling. Act like an adult - if I'm wrong and you're not making up your claim then it should be easy to prove it.

Acting like that doesn't get you off the hook and distract from your inability to prove you're not full of shit.

"lots of people (possibly the majority of console owners) spend more on a console than they do on a phone"

Your words. Your claim. This the the hole you've dug yourself. Right now you're just digging deeper.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have the same theory.. at least about Sony. I doubt they are waiting on MS.. they are waiting because the price will bring some sticker shock.

MS is waiting on Sony to undercut them.

I'll buy PS5 day one either way... might wait on XSX.. not sure.

SliChillax

People are buying 1200$ smartphones every year, this is not a big deal to the majority and they know it. People will buy it regardless especially now that Xbox is not bothering in competing in the first party department.

Top Bottom