• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Halo Infinite Campaign Re-Reveal Analysis: A Big Improvement Over Last Year's Showing?

intbal

What was the point of this video?
They've already covered Infinite multiple times. They've even provided analysis of the new campaign trailer.
Was it really necessary to post a new video (with a bit of a bait-and-switch title) that spends an additional 20 minutes hemming and hawing about their personal dislikes in slowed-down footage?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What was the point of this video?
They've already covered Infinite multiple times. They've even provided analysis of the new campaign trailer.
Was it really necessary to post a new video (with a bit of a bait-and-switch title) that spends an additional 20 minutes hemming and hawing about their personal dislikes in slowed-down footage?
It's one of the biggest games of the fall/winter. Why shouldn't they cover it extensively? Or are you just upset that it's not 100 percent positive?

And the open world is with full day and night cycles
mbo0s6T.png

I am surprised at how many of these checkboxes they managed to tick for launch running at 4K 60 fps. The multiplayer and forge are their own full games.
I am happy with how much they achieved keeping the classic Halo art style. Don't care about the bitching from kingthhrash/led guy/crapgamer/mbg discord podcast gang. The game feels fun to play and looks pleasing. If they have to sacrifice some aspects of the game to look like Hellblade II does then they should not.
Game had exceptional feedback during the test phase, itll be a big game when it launches.

I just don’t think being cross-gen and open world is a great descriptor as to why it looks the way it does.

I'm not following what you mean, my point was the games you are comparing aren't doing any thing similar besides being "Open world" .

I mean I cant believe I have to say this but it doesn't make any sense to compare a racer to a FPS.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Can't stand his snobbish PCMR ass.

Them having him do these videos is troubling.
I agree it does get annoying. Like no shit the game will perform better and have more options on your super powerful 3090 ass pc, no one is doubting that, i dont get why he has to get his snide little passive agressive comments in about the consoles in everything hes in

Leyasu

Banned
I love halo, and will be all over this, but 343 have only themselves to blame.

Their project management for this was so bad, that after 6 yrs, this is what they delivered and co-op is not even ready for launch. Phil needs to replace all of 343s senior management

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm not knocking anyone's opinion of Alex your entitled to it.
I don't get offended at all by anything he says. He points out some stuff eg the 30fps parts and I'm like shit I wish I never seen that I'll probably notice it now. I know 99% of the time if I wanted the ultimate version I would have to get a 3080 and above but I'm happy with my PS5, Series X and yes my Series S.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It makes me laugh .. he starts everything off with “ well I’m not a console gamer.. but…”😂
Exactly!

I don't even care about his PCMR preference, it's the fact that he not only acts unimpressed by most things console but he acts like a dick.

Exanthus

Banned
I wish they did vidoc's still. Like Bungie when they released the bonus material for Halo 2... Really showed what they went through to get that one out the door

Duchess

Those sparks when the ship was dropped ... they were quite literally 2D sprites! That was so weird.

Edit: part of the video I'm referring to starts around 14:35.

Last edited:
The devs have said it's not really open world like RDR or GTA it's more open world "ish" than other Halo games but it's not what some here seem to think it is.

BbMajor7th

Ugh, gruesome thread. OT: good hustle for twelve months' work. Given the scale and performance targets this was never gonna be a visual showstopper. Kudos to 343i on shaking up the formula though. I don't know quite how to feel about the more cookie-cutter action-adventure elements sneaking thier way into the design, but it's better than retreading old ground. Die hards will demand 343 make them feel like they're 13 again, but this is surely better.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm not knocking anyone's opinion of Alex your entitled to it.
I don't get offended at all by anything he says. He points out some stuff eg the 30fps parts and I'm like shit I wish I never seen that I'll probably notice it now.

He's also the only one who had a positive take on the reveal trailer and some optimism for the final; back when everybody else was LOLing at Craig and the rough graphics, Alex was assessing the inherent drawbacks to an implementation of natural GI and how the chosen time-of-day did no favors to the reveal trailer, identifying where improvements or different choices in materials could make a huge difference on the same engine as it got closer to finish. Some of those types of additional passes and polish/replacement adjustments are evident in how this later trailer shows improvements.

So, I'm not getting where some of the scorn for him as an "Xbox hater" are coming from. There's some iffy stuff in the campaign video for such an important product, and it's worth pointing out. There's also a lot to celebrate and look forward to playing (especially after an unexpected year of extra waiting.)

Last edited:

eNT1TY

ROFL no one is going to deprive themselves of new halo because lod transitions aren't flawless, or bare standard SSAO implementation, or sparse foliage density, or janky reload animations if viewed at non gameplay speeds. The game succeeds in looking decidedly halo despite some slight technical shortcomings and is still very pleasant looking because of the strong art direction and a cohesive design language. What can actually hurt the game is the campaign structure and quality and quantity of side activities to do in this new open world. I don't want a simple outpost hopping ordeal with vehicle usage merely as a means of locomoting to the next outpost or sensor tower that reveals a portion of the map. And even if it were just that it could still be fun because you are still doing Halo shit against Halo baddies.

Hard to feel bad for 343 for this when they overpromised with a false in engine trailer and under delivered. I think the game will be a good time, but not the show piece we might have expected from e3 2018 trailer. Maybe its time for devs and publishers to stop lying about how their games look. Downgrades wouldnt be an issue if they werent constantly overpromising at trade shows.
This. 343 is also a shitty company that constantly disrespects their fans, despite my enjoying their games. They're woke, they've badmouthed their fans, they've had aggressive microtransactions, performance problems like crazy in the MCC. They also break stuff in patches and never fix things, like they did to Xb1X owners when they introduced horrific fps and stuttering to Halo:CE and H2A campaigns (the patch that added Reach to MCC; over a year ago; they're literally unplayable on xb1x now)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Definitely better than before the delay but not exactly impressive. I am eager to get past this cross gen period, because it's really obvious that targeting such a wide range of hardware is leading to a lot of compromises.

ckaneo

Not even trolling or trying to stir shit, but this game looks very underwhelming, specially when you consider the franchise and the budget.
If you consider the fact that its releasing on the original xbox one, has an open world with a day and night cycle, split screen multiplayer, 60 fps it really is a technical achievement even if its not a looker

Inviusx

Honestly wondering why they made such a big deal about their new engine a few years back when this game just looks like a run of the mill scifi shooter.

Projects that go through significant re-shuffling don’t often become masterpieces

Halo Infinite’s problems are fairly known at this point with significant turnover at the director level, a poor showing last year, and only a year to re-patch the project.

the recent footage looks okay to me, but my expectations are still quite low. Halo needs a much more significant re-imagining than what I’ve seen, and that’s one problem that their studio has is they are forever living under the shadow of expectations from their fanbase of a series that was much more relevant than it is today.

In my view they should be allowed the creative freedom to reinvigorate the franchise of tomorrow rather than meeting the expectations of an increasingly smaller fanbase of yesterday.

Last edited:

Phase

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
On topic, for a twenty minute video, I really didn't find this to be particularly insightful. Nothing was really pointed out worth discussing apart from the animation issues, which have already been highlighted numerous times. Everything else felt like drawn out fluff.

In regards to Infinite, having played the multiplayer tech preview, its clear the multiplayer is doing exactly what it needed to, which in and of itself is pretty miraculous. It also looked pretty good, although certainly not a console seller like Forza Horizon 5. However, with the campaign, 343i are incompetent until they prove otherwise. Its on them to prove Halo going open world is more than just bandwagon jumping from a studio seemingly devoid of creativity, and the six minute campaign video uploaded with little fan fare doesn't exactly scream the studio is confident in what they've made. Fingers crossed 343i bring something to the Xbox anniversary event that flips that script, because if they're launching the campaign with nothing more, that tells me 343i has another stinker on their hands and they know it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
the recent footage looks okay to me, but my expectations are still quite low. Halo needs a much more significant re-imagining than what I’ve seen, and that’s one problem that their studio has is they are forever living under the shadow of expectations from their fanbase of a series that was much more relevant than it is today.

In my view they should be allowed the creative freedom to reinvigorate the franchise of tomorrow rather than meeting the expectations of an increasingly smaller fanbase of yesterday.
This so much. The franchise is 20 years old. It needs a complete reboot. Open world ubisoft style formula is a good start but they are way too late with this stuff. Most franchises switched to that formula early last gen. hell, even Nintendo beat them to it with BOTW and Mario Odyssey way back in 2017.

It scares me that MS wants this to be a 7 year GaaS game. The foundation isnt strong enough for it to last 7 years imo. We saw this with Destiny. Their engine was simply too old and it hampered that franchise and it simply never went anywhere.

I also agree that they will never be able to please the Halo fanbase. Fanbases in general have a very narrow taste. They dont want the franchise to evolve or innovate. they want to play the same game over and over again. See how everyone fell in love with the beta because they went back to the series roots. Like really? you want to go back 20 years ago? Imagine if ND was stuck making Jak & Daxter in 2021 and fans kept saying they want to go back to the first Jak.

Just let their biggest team do a new IP. Start fresh.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
eh not a big deal. We all grew up being called f*gs and n*ggers on xbox live by 12 year olds. That kind of stuff isnt allowed anymore. Whats the harm in banning people for calling each other cunts and twats?

Again, they are not the only ones doing it. Most of it stems from Bonnie leading Halo and everyone attributing the failure of an entire 700 person team on a glorified studio head/producer.

It looks fucking amazing honestly. They made clear in February what they were aiming for. This is meant to look like Halo: Combat Evolved, but next gen graphics from an artistic or visual aesthetic standpoint. Their art or graphics style isn't photo real or even trying to go for real. What Halo is at its core is their own simulation of what real is for their world and universe in the same way an RTS does it, just backed up by great feeling fps gameplay.

Paying close attention to what's in the environments, especially when not in a vehicle, the geometry detail on a lot of the environmental objects and rockfaces is quite high. The scale and size isn't just there for nothing, the things that are big in this world are actually really detailed, even the smaller things. I feel when people play this for themselves, and actually get to move around in the world and appreciate it with the dynamic time of day, all concerns will be addressed. I've fully bought in to the vision of what they're selling. Next Gen Halo: Combat Evolved utilizing a similar art direction and aesthetic. A legacy look, not them trying to make it look artistically and aesthetically different just for the sake of next-generation.

I want Halo to keep its stylized graphical direction and simulated real with unashamed "gamey" looking elements. From the way the brute ran and jumped off into the battle, to the way react to being shocked, to the way they animate, the way explosions look. We already have games occupying the realistic looking shooter wing. Halo must stay Halo.

E8LHe8R.jpg

Long story short, I'm very impressed by the game visually and on a technical level considering its new game design structure and all the potential it has.

Last edited:
Top Bottom