• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade: PS5 vs PS4 Pro - A Brilliant Next-Gen Upgrade!

Go_Ly_Dow

Tom at DF says it's one of the best PS5 upgrades to date.

Stolen from Evilms:
-The doors have finally been fixed.
-Textures have been reworked in some key places.
-Added volumetric fog to the PS5 version on some places.
-The PS5 version runs in dynamic resolution of 3820x2160p at 30 fps locked in graphics mode and 2688x1512p at 60fps locked in perf mode.
-The only difference between the two modes is the resolution and the framerate, for the rest it's the same.
-The quality of the shadows has been improved in the whole game.
-SSR has been improved especially in puddles.
-Update of the skybox in Midgard.
-No LOD issue on PS5.
-Added bloom.
-Adaptive triggers support.
-Dark areas are now better lit thanks to the addition of light points.
-Loading times have been significantly reduced, 31 seconds on PS4 Pro against 1.3 seconds on PS5.

Have to say after playing the PS5 version at 60fps, it's quite a feast for the eyes and a joy to play.

Let's hope they bring in a 60fps mode for part 2, which will very likely be PS5 only and take advantage of UE5.

Last edited:
They fixed the door.

Happy So Excited GIF

Evilms

Banned
-The doors have finally been fixed.
-Textures have been reworked in some key places.
-Added volumetric fog to the PS5 version on some places.
-The PS5 version runs in dynamic resolution of 3820x2160p at 30 fps locked in graphics mode and 2688x1512p at 60fps locked in perf mode.
-The only difference between the two modes is the resolution and the framerate, for the rest it's the same.
-The quality of the shadows has been improved in the whole game.
-SSR has been improved especially in puddles.
-Update of the skybox in Midgard.
-No LOD issue on PS5.
-Added bloom.
-Adaptive triggers support.
-Dark areas are now better lit thanks to the addition of light points.
-Loading times have been significantly reduced, 31 seconds on PS4 Pro against 1.3 seconds on PS5.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Thise loading times are impressive, I've just started Red Dead Redemption on my PS5 and I'm amazed at how quickly it gets me into the game in comparison to the first time I played it on my Pro

Lethal01

What's not mentioned is that there are a slew of small gameplay and non visual tweaks like better audio balancing and adding chatter from the townspeople and more sound effects to sell the atmosphere. The main party feels better to control even when not in 60fps mode, faster dodging in addition to being able to cancel your attacks into dodges and rolls more easily.

The DLC felt like it improves on every aspect of the main game to, but the combat is still the best part. Yuffie is ridic, has a huge amount of options and tons of combo potential in adition to a skill that lets you spend 1/8 atb for a dodge with Iframes.

[Sigma]

I dislike the fog. I messed around with graphics vs performance. The difference was too miniscule to continue playing on graphics. Performance it is. Adaptive triggers use is trash. The loading certainly does make everything better but like I said before, i'm not here to play the entire game over again, i'm here for the DLC.

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm so glad that I waited playing FF7 Remake. :) I only got to the first boss and went to the slum part on PS4 Pro, waiting on the updates... :D

Once I'm done with current Ys9, may jump in for FF7 Remake.

Azurro

Banned
Finally was able to download and play this. It was only like 15 minutes and it's a really nice improvement. It's still the same game of course, but the better framerate, textures and loading times are already making the game feel better.

Shifty1897

I played through chapters 1 and 2 and the performance mode feels amazing. Right now I love the volumetric fog but I hope they don't overuse it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm so glad they decided to go back and do a PS5 port. I can't wait to see what they do with the next game!

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Question for those who have more knowledge than me about processing power: With all effects remaining equal, why does a doubling of the frame rate require more than a 50% drop in the resolution? Is this a CPU limitation?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I have been saying this for a long time, more and more games is going to utilize the PS5 SSD, its already starting this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, looks like a great port job. I already sold my PS4 copy after completing it, so I'm holding out for the rumored PC release before repurchasing it, but I'm glad to see the PS5 upgrade was done properly.

Md Ray

Question for those who have more knowledge than me about processing power: With all effects remaining equal, why does a doubling of the frame rate require more than a 50% drop in the resolution? Is this a CPU limitation?
More than 50% drop? How? It's like 13% drop from Pro's 1620p to 1512p on PS5. The resolution drop is likely due to knock on effect of PS5 loading and rendering textures properly now with better draw distance over PS4 Pro.

If PS4 Pro had rendered everything to the highest quality like PS5, the resolution on it would have been lower than 1620p. Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:

linkent

The loading part is really mind blowing.

Just finished the download.

Reach Main menu.
Download Save data.
Load game.
Blink and I can move Cloud. Wtf

Armorian

Banned

You need 2x more GPU power to render game in 60FPS vs 30FPS (same goes for 120 vs 60), easiest way to achieve it is to drop the resolution, with TAA modern games are not looking that much different in lower than native resolutions most of the time - but they should add sharpening filter when doing that.

CPU is probably bored as fuck, everything was designed around Jaguar 1.6GHz

Last edited:

Neff

The added fog ruins some sections but overall it's a massive improvement. An already terrific-looking game now looks incredible.

I think TLoU2 in 60fps still takes the PS5 visual crown though.

Inviusx

Still not over the fact the PS Plus version is excluded from this upgrade. Absolute bullshit move on their part.

McCheese

Part of me wishes I delayed playing this until the PS5 version, I loved loved loved the game and faster loading times and 60fps combat would have been the cherry on top, but I also did e v e r y t h i n g and got the plat so :(

Did they speed up the squeezing down corridors animation which was I presume to mask loading times?

Tchu-Espresso

More than 50% drop? How? It's like 13% drop from Pro's 1620p to 1512p on PS5. The resolution drop is likely due to knock on effect of PS5 loading and rendering textures properly now with better draw distance over PS4 Pro.

If PS4 Pro had rendered everything to the highest quality like PS5, the resolution on it would have been lower than 1620p. Does that make sense to you?
I meant that the PS5 version is rendering at 2160p30 and 1512p60. Double the frame is achieved only with a greater than 50% reduction in pixels.

Forget the PS4 version.

JeloSWE

Why is the voice acting so bad?
What?

I’m not a native speaker, I know how weird my own language can sound in dubs, but the voice acting is this game sound out freakin amazing to me. The voices of Barret and Aerith stand out especially, I can't imagine any thing better than perhaps the original Japanes, for Tifa and maybe Aerith depending on taste, yet Barret is clearly better in the English version. They've done such good job with the dub I can't imagine how it could be any better.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Still not over the fact the PS Plus version is excluded from this upgrade. Absolute bullshit move on their part.
Um, not that PS+ is free but you get the game for a very very low price of around $5. It makes sense on their part from a business stand point, I would say that the PS+ version is almost like a free sample or advertising to get anyone on the fence into the series and if you liked it and really want the upgrade then you've got to pay full price.

JeloSWE

Part of me wishes I delayed playing this until the PS5 version, I loved loved loved the game and faster loading times and 60fps combat would have been the cherry on top, but I also did e v e r y t h i n g and got the plat so :(

Did they speed up the squeezing down corridors animation which was I presume to mask loading times?
Same here, and good question, will be interesting to see if they did, but I'm guessing not.

Md Ray

I meant that the PS5 version is rendering at 2160p30 and 1512p60. Double the frame is achieved only with a greater than 50% reduction in pixels.

Forget the PS4 version.
Oh, I thought you were comparing PS4 Pro's 30fps vs PS5 60fps resolutions.

2160p to 1512p is exactly a 51% reduction in pixel count. Fits the budget quite well as Mr Moose Mr Moose said. It's not a CPU limitation.

Tchu-Espresso

Oh, I thought you were comparing PS4 Pro's 30fps vs PS5 60fps resolutions.

2160p to 1512p is exactly a 51% reduction in pixel count. Fits the budget quite well as Mr Moose Mr Moose said. It's not a CPU limitation.
8294400 pixels x 30 = 248832000
4064256 pixels x 60 = 243855360
Fits the budget quote well (and it's locked).
My bad. I miscalculated the pixel counts. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom