• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Doom's Ray Tracing Upgrade: A Game-Changer For The PC Classic?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Introduction:

Sultim-T or Sultim Tsyrendashiev is a developer who focuses on enabling path tracing in games. He is the creator of Serious Sam TFE: Raytraced and Serious Engine RT making use of a .dll file to convert fixed function games to real time path tracing, called RayTracedGL1.

Recently, Sultim-T unveiled Doom Classic: Ray Traced - powered by PrBoom+ RT. This is a modified build of PrBoom 2.6.1um to enable real time path tracing using custom shaders. According to the developer, the first three episodes are supported. Alex Battaglia dives into Raytraced Doom and explains what works, and what doesn't.

Alex's Optimised Settings:
  • RTX 2070 and up: 2 Bounces, All lights
  • Below RTX 2070: 2 Bounces, Polygonal lights
  • Runs at 4K DLSS on a RTX 3090 with over 100 FPS
  • Runs at 1080p DLSS on a RTX 2060 with 70-80 FPS

Kuranghi

When I see runs at "4K DLSS" on a 3080/3090 I'm like get the fuck out of here. Obviously not a game that suffers nearly as much as a modern game from reconstruction but people who say DLSS is like native or better need their heads examined, or a better display, sit closer, etc etc.

I finally saw DLSS the other day and it was a major letdown, gtfo with that "Its bETter tHAn nATIve" :messenger_tears_of_joy: IQ isn't all about anti-aliasing you wallopers.

KillerKowalski

Neo Member
When I see runs at "4K DLSS" on a 3080/3090 I'm like get the fuck out of here. Obviously not a game that suffers nearly as much as a modern game from reconstruction but people who say DLSS is like native or better need their heads examined, or a better display, sit closer, etc etc.

I finally saw DLSS the other day and it was a major letdown, gtfo with that "Its bETter tHAn nATIve" :messenger_tears_of_joy: IQ isn't all about anti-aliasing you wallopers.
You haven't seen the newer implementations of it then. IQ is better than native in some instances.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It looks fantastic in my opinion. I really love Doom's art style and how shadows are cast based on the shape and direction of the pixels works shockingly well in believability.

Give me Brutal Doom with RTX and I'll be set for a while. Doom is the game that will never die. The amount of .wads blown all over the internet since the 90's is proof. Last year I must have played hundreds of hours of Brutal Doom and Blood. Just something to throw on and play for 30 mins. and have a good time.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Doesn’t interest me to boot it up but it was interesting to hear from DF the tricks to make this even work with sprites. The peoples behind this mod are quite smart. I’m interested a lot about their path tracing of Half Life.

tommib

So tired of the ray-tracing adoration. Specially in Doom where it changes the mood drastically - for the worst. But oh well at least PC Gamers can stretch their expensive RGB rigs while playing games from 1993.

Brofist

I saw five (5) games with it, which game(s) have the newer/newest implementation?
Which 5 games? Or are you purposely vague to give yourself time to google 5 wOrSt dlSs implementation in gaMez.

So tired of the ray-tracing adoration. Specially in Doom where it changes the mood drastically - for the worst. But oh well at least PC Gamers can stretch their expensive RGB rigs while playing games from 1993.
It’s not that big of a deal. Some people just want to play around with their games in a different way. You sound a little insecure here.

Last edited:

tommib

Which 5 games? Or are you purposely vague to give yourself time to google 5 wOrSt dlSs implementation in gaMez.

It’s not that big of a deal. Some people just want to play around with their games in a different way. You sound a little insecure here.
Insecure and gay. That’s my middle name.

Sorry I didn’t eat the Nvidia RTX marketing buzzword salad that’s being used on Minecraft and Quake 2. In my eyes these effects alter the mood of the games for the sake of pushing hardware specs. It’s my opinion. What can I do.

Is it just people fooling around? Sure, great. Just don’t make it seem that it adds anything to the original games. It subtracts.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

It does, but depends on a game and the AA method native rendering uses. Not at 1080p though, but DLSS Quality on 4k to me is just as good as native, 4k Performance has some artifacts in thin lines, it depends a lot on the game visual style. Games that have blur from the AA like Warzone looks a lot sharper with DLSS.

tygertrip

Sorry I didn’t eat the Nvidia RTX marketing buzzword salad that’s being used on Minecraft and Quake 2. In my eyes these effects alter the mood of the games for the sake of pushing hardware specs. It’s my opinion. What can I do.

Is it just people fooling around? Sure, great. Just don’t make it seem that it ads anything to the original games. It subtracts.
I disagree, but RESPECT for calling it like you see it.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I kinda get that actually. When I first saw Quake 2 RTX then it was just some guy messing with the code and the lighting looked phenomenal when compared with the original 1998 release. It still looked rough as hell because it didn't change anything other than the lighting.

But then nvidia got their hands on it and started 'fixing' things that didn't really need upgrading in the first place. I've never been particularly impressed with that version compared with the original release.

Scotty W

I think it looks fine. Not a game changer, though.

The biggest game changer I have seen- for good or bad, is 3d enemies.

Shmunter

I understand when you say something like eg 4kcb for console because you are locked into the checkerboard, but on pc quoting dlss as a baseline is a bit sus

Brofist

Is it just people fooling around? Sure, great. Just don’t make it seem that it adds anything to the original games. It subtracts.
Cool guess we in agreement about you then.

It’s not like anyone is using this as some bullet point as to why PC is the best. Looks more like a we did it cause we could.

You don’t like the RT in games then don’t use. You a PS gamer anyway right? You don’t have to worry much about RT anyway.

Shifty

Nah. Doom doesn't even have dynamic lighting to begin with, adding that - let alone a schmancy RT version - is the first step down the long and perilous road to this bullshit:

Hashtag not my doom.

Kuranghi

Also lol at the guy saying dlss is dogshit vs native. It's objectively better in some games than native bro.

Sick reply bro, except I didn't say that at all though did I.

I said it was a major letdown after people bumpf on about it being better than native resolution.

The AA effect is great, but the detail isn't full preserved from native (because how could it be?). In terms of detail it looks more like 1800p vs 2160p with the highest Quality DLSS preset where it reconstructs from 1440p. Its very very impressive technology obviously but I'd still rather play at native res because I can resolve a noticeable amount more detail on my display.

"Objectively better", just think about how stupid this statement is in this context, you have less starting pixels and you don't have ground truth data to reconstruct from, so its objectively not true. Maybe the AA effect is "objectively better", but then if you have a good AA solution on the native 2160p output then it not going to be better than that and why would you compare a raw 2160p image to the DLSS one, who the fudge doesn't use AA with modern engines.

Each to their own, you enjoy all that extra performance and don't notice the IQ loss or consider it worth the tradeoff, bully for you. I do notice the IQ loss and I don't care about framerates above 60 so its less useful to me, bully for me. No one is "right" here, its different priorities.

MikeM

The game certainly looks quite a bit better. Some sections it was really transformational.

Last edited:
Top Bottom