• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Deathloop Finally Comes To Xbox Series X/S - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X + More

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

After a period of exclusivity to PlayStation 5, Deathloop has finally appeared on Xbox Series consoles - so how does the port stack up, especially in light of Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda? Turns out that thing look much the same as they did on PS5...​

--

Text article:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL;DR

- Visual metrics and features on SX are the same as PS5

- Performance mode:
- Dynamic 1080p ~ 1440p with what looks like FSR 1.0
- Locked 60 FPS

- Visual Quality mode:
- Dynamic 1832p ~ 2160p
- Can drop to 50's. VRR cleans this up.

- RT mode:
- RT sun shadows and RTAO.
- Targets 1944p~ 2160p at 30 FPS

- Performance mode can drop dynamic resolution more often on SX
- The Visual Quality mode runs the same specs but has a 5~ FPS advantage over PS5 on average

- In 120hz PS5 has a lot of tearing but SX has VSync locked. You can turn it off by suspending the game running and when you resume, VSync is off on SX as well to match the PS5's response.
- SX can have a 10~ FPS average performance advantage in this mode.
- VRR is recommended for this mode

--

- Series S only has Perf and Quality mode with both running at dynamic 1080p.
- Perf can drop to 900p and Quality at 960p
- Perf mode, like SX, runs lower settings in mid to far detail. Visual quality mode is on par with SX.
- Visual quality mode falls from 60 FPS mode often. VRR improves both modes

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
tenor.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I will never understand why this game is so hard on GPUs. Visually it seems to be as bland as a midwestern hooker.

Absolutely insane that a full ray traced open world game like Metro Exodus has better performance on the xsx than this game.

Lets hope with MS now taking over, Coalition oversees Arkhane and teaches them how to use UE5.

Last edited:

Arioco

- In 120hz PS5 has a lot of tearing but SX has VSync locked. You can turn it off by suspending the game running and when you resume, VSync is off on SX as well.

Because including an "VSync On/Off" slider was not an option, I guess. xD

I really hate it when devs make everything so damn hard. Same for the strange things one has to do to enable 120 fps mode in some PS5 games. Devs, seriously, if we wanted it complicated we would game on PC, you know.

But anyways, thanks for the video and thanks for your summary, Adam. Good job as always. 👍

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I really hate it when devs make everything so damn hard. Same for the strange things one has to do to enable 120 fps mode in some PS5 games. Devs, seriously, if we wanted it complicated we would game on PC, you know.

But anyways, thanks for the video and thanks for your summary, Adam. Good job as always. 👍
Totally agree. Hopefully they patch in the v sync option.

Deathloop does a great job of using the dualsense features and I think that gives the game a slight edge on PS5. But either way, this game is worth playing. Its probably my favorite game released this gen so far.
The xbox recreates them super well. Im lucky to have both consoles, and the footsteps, gun feel and stuff is done well on the xbox controller. Id say it gets 75% if the way there. but the haptic isn't superb.

JackMcGunns

- In 120hz PS5 has a lot of tearing but SX has VSync locked. You can turn it off by suspending the game running and when you resume, VSync is off on SX as well to match the PS5's response.
- SX can have a 10~ FPS average performance advantage in this mode.
- VRR is recommended for this mode

Kind of like the way benchmarks work... 🤔

Xbox_DJ_Khaled_Event.jpg

For all modes this should be an option

rofif

Banned
That is the most pathetic series S showing to date.
-No RT at all ("the same games but at 1440p instead of 4k!!!")
-Not even 1440p
-Both pointless modes are at targeting 1080p and 60fps and dropping both.... Why even have two modes at the same time?

And on ps5 and XSX my biggest gripe is the stupidity of 3 modes. Quality mode should not exist... at all.
Why have a Quality mode that is not fucking quality since it does not have the highest quality effects (ray tracing) ?!!!!
I don't know a single person who would choose 4k over targeting 4k with ray tracing. This is idiotic.

The modes stupidity strikes again. There should be only Quality and Performance modes. Both should have ray tracing and that's it. No mode should look worse than the other aside from minor changes.
Quality - should have RT, Target 30 or 40. Dynamic 4k.
Performance - should have RT, Target 60. Dynamic 4k TOO (but of course would run mostly around 1080p-1440p.

Offer vrr fps cap off for both modes and you are done. Just like last of us or uncharted remaster.
edit: wasn't this whole RT movement developed so devs save on time and effort of putting in effects manually too? Where is the point in that if you put non RT modes in your games. stupid!

Each mode feels like a compromise.
Exactly. Good designed modes should not feel like a sacrifice. There should be no RTless mode... We didn't had modes last gen and at lest there was no compromise feeling. I am ok with modes existing but put some thought into it

Last edited:

Cryio

IMO with Deathloop, it feels like their engine that was IMO a Marvel on 8th gen consoles for 2016 is now just outdated and broken.

It does look good enough for the performance it's outputting and the game doesn't get close to the number of active systems present in Dishonored 2 or Prey to warrant these kind of requirements.

Lognor

Banned
Not a surprise that the xsx performs slightly better. I'm sure ms made sure of that. I still need to play it, but looking forward to xsx version. It performs great by the looks of it!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not a surprise that the xsx performs slightly better. I'm sure ms made sure of that. I still need to play it, but looking forward to xsx version. It performs great by the looks of it!

It performs slightly better in some modes and slightly worse in others. It's a wash.

That is the most pathetic series S showing to date.
-No RT at all ("the same games but at 1440p instead of 4k!!!")
-Not even 1440p
-Both pointless modes are at targeting 1080p and 60fps and dropping both.... Why even have two modes at the same time?

And on ps5 and XSX my biggest gripe is the stupidity of 3 modes. Quality mode should not exist... at all.
Why have a Quality mode that is not fucking quality since it does not have the highest quality effects (ray tracing) ?!!!!
I don't know a single person who would choose 4k over targeting 4k with ray tracing. This is idiotic.

The modes stupidity strikes again. There should be only Quality and Performance modes. Both should have ray tracing and that's it. No mode should look worse than the other aside from minor changes.
Quality - should have RT, Target 30 or 40. Dynamic 4k.
Performance - should have RT, Target 60. Dynamic 4k TOO (but of course would run mostly around 1080p-1440p.

Offer vrr fps cap off for both modes and you are done. Just like last of us or uncharted remaster.
edit: wasn't this whole RT movement developed so devs save on time and effort of putting in effects manually too? Where is the point in that if you put non RT modes in your games. stupid!

Exactly. Good designed modes should not feel like a sacrifice. There should be no RTless mode... We didn't had modes last gen and at lest there was no compromise feeling. I am ok with modes existing but put some thought into it
Just give us the option to remove v sync on all modes problem solved

MadPanda

Banned
I will never understand why this game is so hard on GPUs. Visually it seems to be as bland as a midwestern hooker.

Absolutely insane that a full ray traced open world game like Metro Exodus has better performance on the xsx than this game.

Lets hope with MS now taking over, Coalition oversees Arkhane and teaches them how to use UE5.
This looks better though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Game has pretty insane draw distance, my guess is that it's not dynamic and that it renders a lot of shit even if you are near buildings. Would have helped if the game would feel good in shooting, which it doesn't. I like the style, as in Art Style a lot tho, it's shame that it's not more of a Dishonored type of game.

It performs slightly better in some modes and slightly worse in others. It's a wash.

Not according to multiple analyses thus far.

Also, I think we all know that VRR mode business is a bug that will be fixed. Either way, excellent game. Been really enjoying the world and how the story is told, and things are revealed to you. Excellent gameplay. A world full of cool tricks to draw upon.

Cryio

Ok, I played it a bit more on Steam. Here's my final take on the matter.

PC Gamepass version is broken currently, online play reduces CPU/GPU performance. Needs fixing.

Steam/EPIC: Game runs fine-ish, if imperfect. Game needs more than 8 GB VRAM for more than 1440p, probably needs more than 8 GB VRAM for 1080p with RT as well. It has FSR2.0, but needs an update for FSR2.1.1. Game is way too CPU bound for what's happening on screen. This game doesn't not have the systems of Prey or Dishonored 2, so I dunno what's happening. It doesn't look substantially better than Dishonored 2 either, aside from vastly increased geometry output. HBAO+ is now available for all GPUs, not just Nvidia. That's nice, but IMO AMD's CACAO solution on Balanced/Quality both looks and runs better than HBAO+.

As for performance, I'm getting 1440p60 locked pretty much with FSR2 targeting 60 FPS on the Adaptive-Performance preset. On Steam, W11 22H2 5700 XT + R5 3600 + 32 GB RAM.

Consoles : Happy to see FSR 1.0 on consoles, given it's always a better upscaler than whatever the consoles/TV are doing. Disappointed that FSR2.x isn't present on consoles.

Disappointing to see that no console is able to do a locked, reliable 60 fps. And unfortunate Series S doesn't have a 60 fps option at all.

I'm happy for extra content and bug fixes. We need DLC/expansion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom