• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Space Remake PC - DF Tech Review - The #StutterStruggle Continues

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The Dead Space Remake - from a content perspective - is nothing short of sensational. However, some small tech issues on the console versions are much more of a problem on PC, which has further challenges on top of that. Here's Alex with the full breakdown on the PC port along with suggestions on how the game should be improved.

00:00:02 Introduction
00:00:35 Initial impressions and settings menu
00:01:40 #StutterStruggle investigation
00:04:27 Traversal Stutter issue
00:08:41 Image Quality: DLSS vs. FSR 2
00:09:55 Improving Image Quality on Nvidia GPUs
00:10:03 Other bugs and oddities
00:11:29 Optimised Settings and PS5 Settings
00:18:18 VRAM issues for 8GB/10GB GPUs?
00:21:15 Increasing Performance on Nvidia GPUs with ReBAR
00:22:37 Conclusion

adamsapple

Text article:

Optimised SettingsPS5 Performance Settings
Motion BlurUser choicen/a
Dynamic Resolution ScalingOnOn
Variable Rate Shading (VRS)Off, unless internal res >= 4KOff
Anti-AliasingDLSS or FSR 2FSR 2 Quality
Light QualityMedium/Ultra*Medium/Ultra*
Shadow QualityMediumMedium
Reflection QualityHigh/Ultra*High+ (custom?)
Volumetric ResolutionMediumMedium/Ultra
Ambient OcclusionSSAO (RTAO on RTX 2080 or above)SSAO
Depth of FieldUser ChoiceHigh

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
RTX 2060S and R5 3600 still putting in work.

Imagine someone who built the exact system in 2019?
They'd be swimming in it right now.
Yet people told me way back when 6 cores was gonna mean death.
Could probably upgrade to a R5 5600/5800X3D and float the generation.

Yet people will come and say you need a 2000 dollar computer to play PC games.
Im glad DF still use this old PC as their low end/mid range machine.
Yes some games will beat it up, but man if youve had this CPU/GPU since 2019, they have earned their keep.
Even a small bump up to the 3060Ti would have 1440pDLSS be easy work going forward.

Odd the game has loading stutter even on PS5.

TrueLegend

GHG GHG Black_Stride Black_Stride

To each thier own. 2060 is stilling gonna last long. DLSS makes it so. currently with performance mode you can go 60fps in pretty much in any game with few tweaks on vrr display which pretty much means any pc monitor now since even the cheapest pc monitor comes with freesync. So it will last till it can do 1080p on performance mode which means as long as PS5 can go and I suspect it's long road. Games like Plague's tale can be bested on 2060 with Quality/Balanced DLSS on 1440p which PS5 can't do.

But for real PC gaming that just supersedes any console nonsense of even matching the experience, you gotta go 3070 atleast, 3090 preferably and ofc 40 series if you wanna spent it in dumb manner.That VRAM is God send for RT performance.

But high end experience does start at 3070. Ofc with passage of time in relation to other hardware at market it can be called midrange.

P.S. You both had poor CPU for gaming, not GPU.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Is this have anything with Denuvo?

Possible but unlikely. I posted a video 2 weeks ago on here exhibiting the same frame time spikes, but you can see on each one its linked to a read on the SSD as it performs it's asset streaming.

It is entirely possible that the function doing this is linked into Denuvo.

You'd hope they'd run this as a background thread to avoid this though without interfering with the game logic / graphics pipeline.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

Another DS vid?

Guilty_AI

Strange, no stutter on my 12100f / 3060 / 32 ddr5.
According to vid, stutters are barely noriciable, only happening occasionally when loading new assets, both on pc and console. The average player wouldn't notice them unless they were paying attention.

Game also pre-compile shaders, and to get bad shader compilation stutter you must go through some hoops.

Filben

According to vid, stutters are barely noriciable, only happening occasionally when loading new assets, both on pc and console. The average player wouldn't notice them unless they were paying attention.

Game also pre-compile shaders, and to get bad shader compilation stutter you must go through some hoops.
Why they're saying though "stutter struggle continues".

Man, this sensationalism is really pissing me off. I want solid facts and now DF cater to trending buzz words.

Anyway, I went for the PS5 version because apparently the PC version won't support adaptive triggers of the DualSense.

(I wish there was some kind of feature list standard by publishers clearly stating what features are supported and what not. It's getting more and more time consuming)

skneogaf

Excellent video highlighting the issues, hopefully the developers can improve things.

I want things like dlaa or even higher quality graphics settings.

My 4090 runs it at 4k@60fps no problem without dlss, I want my pc to struggle with the graphics where only graphics cards of the future can play it at 4k@60fps.

proandrad

5600/7900xt PC and PS5 here.

Bought this on PS5 because new games on PC seem to be broken. Looks like this confirms it. Another one?

Generally, i’ve been disappointed in rejoining PC-Masterrace thus far. Flame shield engaged!

Overwatch Protect GIF by Xbox
5900x/3080 with a PS5 and I have pretty much given up on AAA games on PC because the technical issues are getting ridiculous. At least back in the day you could brute force games that weren’t optimized. How do you brute force shader compilation stutter?

Guilty_AI

Bought this on PS5 because new games on PC seem to be broken. Looks like this confirms it. Another one?
The supposed #StutterStruggle happens on both the consoles and pc version according to the video. And honestly looks like something that wouldn't bother 90% of players on either one.

MikeM

The supposed #StutterStruggle happens on both the consoles and pc version according to the video. And honestly looks like something that wouldn't bother 90% of players on either one.
The console one is far less intrusive than PC. Then that cutscene that ran at 10fps randomly? Man- not even close. I’d be pissed if frames took massive dives just because. Consoles are at least consistent.

No regrets buying on PS5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not the worst port but most of the video is like reading steam forums or pcgamingwiki. So many annoyances/issues.
But all in all should be fine for most people to just install and play

adamsapple

The consoles only have traversal stutter, which the PC also has on top of the shader compilation stutter, which the consoles don't. It's not the same thing.

Also, the PC version can have issues where frame rate tanks to 10's in certain scenarios where the VRAM seems like it maxes out.

1rviyh.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Only if you change video drivers, as stated in the video.

The compilation is half baked, it seems to cause stutters even without changing driver versions, on a single run.

Moreover, the precompilation step seems incomplete even when it does run, as I experienced what appeared to be shader compilation stutters a few times in my playthroughs on different PCs. This is a relatively rare, but still disappointing - and unfortunately it doesn't end there when it comes with frame-time spikes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The compilation is half baked, it seems to cause stutters even without changing driver versions, on a single run.
"Appeared to be" and "are rare", so they are not even sure if it's not another problem like streaming problem again...

adamsapple

Not sure that is the case as i checked the timestamps of the shader cache over a few runs and nothing new was written

So it's another case of issues that will not effect some people at all and effect others worse.

Also, the prolonged stretch of 8~10 FPS segment after the cut-scene Alex shows was brutal.

Thebonehead

Banned
So it's another case of issues that will not effect some people at all and effect others worse.

Also, the prolonged stretch of 8~10 FPS segment after the cut-scene Alex shows was brutal.
Definitely hitches for me - But as shown in the video it's asset streaming occurring at the exact time

Guilty_AI

The consoles only have traversal stutter, which the PC also has on top of the shader compilation stutter, which the consoles don't. It's not the same thing.
Correction, it has a rare microstutter where he suspects might be shader compilation, and thats hardly any different from the loading one.

Also, the PC version can have issues where frame rate tanks to 10's in certain scenarios where the VRAM seems like it maxes out.
Which happens on specific cards, rare scenarios, not always, and when it does its by different degrees and not necessarely at 10fps.

Last edited:

MikeM

Only if you change video drivers, as stated in the video.

Sure 900p upscalled to 1440p by FSR2, some medium settings and just SSAO looks just as good as max settings + native 4k on pc.

“Moreover, the precompilation step seems incomplete even when it does run, as I experienced what appeared to be shader compilation stutters a few times in my playthroughs on different PCs. This is a relatively rare, but still disappointing - and unfortunately it doesn't end there when it comes with frame-time spikes”

Alex also mentions that deleting the shader cache does not prompt a new a new compilation. 🤷‍♂️

I get it- you prefer PC. I have one too but I don’t think its God’s gift to gaming. Console still provides a great experience. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don’t think its God’s gift to gaming.
I think it is. So many definite versions of games with less limitations, so many options, so much freedom.

Alex also mentions that deleting the shader cache does not prompt a new a new compilation. 🤷‍♂️

Why would I delete the cache while still playing the game?

I mean, in this case it arguably provides a much more consistent and enjoyable experience.
Native resolutions, ultrawide, better graphics, minimum input lag, 120+ fps, m+kb, higher FoV, etc, etc are much less enjoyable for you?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

1rviyh.png
Am I reading that wrong... Why does a 3600 have 12 cores?

Top Bottom