• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Island 2 - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs ALL Last-Gen Consoles

it's absolutely the case here.

the game doesn't use default UE4 values on PC, this means they changed each value by hand for the different presets, and on PS5 they simply forgot to change one of the values from 4 to 3 like on PC Ultra settings.

it's literally the exact same that happend in RE's deadzone (multiple times by now btw.), or how the sharpening looked different in older RE games per system, where the devs obviously also changed the sharpening value by hand and didn't compare their adjustments with the devs working on other versions.

or when games on PS4 back in the day had lower Anisotropic texture filtering compared to Xbox One. people thought that was an API issue, it wasn't, it was developers literally not noticing that the texture filtering was set way too low. Digital Foundry mentioned this in one of the DF Direct episodes, that multiple developers told them this when they asked about it... they simply didn't notice the difference and didn't care to fix it.

and back then that was only on 3 systems. PC, One, PS4.
here we have 8 systems. One, One X, PS4, Pro, XSS, XSX, PS5 and PC.

Well I think if they do fix it all three versions will be the same where shadows are concerned. Right now the results are what they are.

I consider both the Series X and PS5 versions to be identical though except for that tiny difference in shadows. I don't believe anyone will lose sleep over this.

Darsxx82

Thanks for the emoji's and the long reply's as if they make any of your points make any sense...
For those who do not want to understand, it is clear that they do not. LOL

well here is the df direct where john explains why ps5 performs better than series x from actually asking developers... go to 49 minute mark

🤔

I come to think that you don't even listen to what they say and you pretend to believe that they say what you want.

I invite you to play the video again

1- They are referring to recent cases after a long period where XSX used to win.
2- John does not say that the problem is the inefficiency of DX, he says that: "not sure why." That he asked developers and they told him that "MAYBE" the friendliest API of PS5 would favor those results but that there is no security.

Alex then replies and says that the most reasonable possibility is lack of optimization. Prioritize one version (the one with the largest user base) over another... but not the inefficiency of the XSX api.
They enter the case of Calisto Protocol and the reality is incontestable. The XSX version went from running at 25fps and no RT reflections, bugs and graphical errors to 30fps stuck, RT reflection (although more blurry) in less than 2 weeks. What that tells you is that the XSX version was released without decent optimization or attention, not that the API was the problem.

In short, very far from what you want to believe they say. Very far from giving you the reason. Far from claiming that DX inefficiencies. Among other things because then there would be no explanation for so many cases where XsX is the winner.
And secondly you lied again... you said fornite had a 17% difference of resolution but the truth is its only a minor 4% difference and the resolution is fully dynamic..

JUwicy6.jpg
i4uvJww.jpg

I'm not lying, it's more like you don't know how to interpret those numbers mate😉

There it says 4% pixels on a 4K image, it is different from 4% pixels vs the PS5 version.
But OK, right, I lied. It wasn't 17%, it was 15.1%... I beg your pardon🙄

59% per axis on a 2160p image is 1274.39p
55% per axis on a 2160p image is 1188p

This was already discussed at the time.

again show me a game on xbox that has a big resolution delta and performs even better on series x against ps5 like the touryst or wild hearts,.... you have permission to search through the whole internet archive... gooduck and bring concrete facts not emoji's
Touryst again, you Know 🤗

Again I remind you of reality. It is XSX that most often has the advantage in resolution... But if you continue to lean on the more than debatable case of Touryst OK, LOL.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Why do they insist on splicing in their opinion on certain aspects of games that have nothing to do with their technical performance? I don't give a rats ass what they think of the game, they're the guys who are supposed to be telling me how well will it run on my PC.

Banned
Why do they insist on splicing in their opinion on certain aspects of games that have nothing to do with their technical performance? I don't give a rats ass what they think of the game, they're the guys who are supposed to be telling me how well will it run on my PC.

YouTube videos need to be 10+ minutes long for multiple reasons, one being mid-roll ads, but also because longer view times result in better chances to be promoted by the algorithm.

Pictures posted earlier showing Xbox version of shadows looking like the PC version. If PS5 has better shadow quality I'd expect to see PC mentioned as well.

PC has better shadows. I studied the crap out of some comparison videos. PC shadows and lod are the two settings that are a big difference. Mode detail and the shadows are filtered at the edges ..which is more like a soft shadow .. which is also why I'm thinking there's a possibility Series X shadows are actually better on this game because they do have that softness at the edge whearS ps5's are a little darker.

I honestly cant tell for sure and I havmt seen a great explanation by anyone yet. I also noticed slightly more clarity in the far distance on xbox than ps5.

These differences are MINUTE THO and there were a couple shots where some things looked slightly more defined on ps5.

That one screenshot you're thinking of in regards to ps5 vs PC shadows isn't indicative of the majority of shots I've seen where there is very obviously more shadow detail on PC

CGNoire

Go to settings.
Options.
Turn off Attack Numbers, QTEs, Health Bars and whatever else you dont want on screen.
????
Profit.

But its probably easier to just bitch about an option you have on NeoGAF.

1. I dont own the game so couldnt confirm if it had options to turn off.

2. I feel my "uninformed" paranoia is warranted since very many games have not had any option to remove.

3. I will admit I do have an bone to pick with what I would consider an Anti-Immersive feature that has a depressing level of permutation in the medium currently.

kingyala

Banned
For those who do not want to understand, it is clear that they do not. LOL

🤔

I come to think that you don't even listen to what they say and you pretend to believe that they say what you want.

I invite you to play the video again

1- They are referring to recent cases after a long period where XSX used to win.
2- John does not say that the problem is the inefficiency of DX, he says that: "not sure why." That he asked developers and they told him that "MAYBE" the friendliest API of PS5 would favor those results but that there is no security.

Alex then replies and says that the most reasonable possibility is lack of optimization. Prioritize one version (the one with the largest user base) over another... but not the inefficiency of the XSX api.
They enter the case of Calisto Protocol and the reality is incontestable. The XSX version went from running at 25fps and no RT reflections, bugs and graphical errors to 30fps stuck, RT reflection (although more blurry) in less than 2 weeks. What that tells you is that the XSX version was released without decent optimization or attention, not that the API was the problem.

In short, very far from what you want to believe they say. Very far from giving you the reason. Far from claiming that DX inefficiencies. Among other things because then there would be no explanation for so many cases where XsX is the winner.

I'm not lying, it's more like you don't know how to interpret those numbers mate😉

There it says 4% pixels on a 4K image, it is different from 4% pixels vs the PS5 version.
But OK, right, I lied. It wasn't 17%, it was 15.1%... I beg your pardon🙄

59% per axis on a 2160p image is 1274.39p
55% per axis on a 2160p image is 1188p

This was already discussed at the time.

Touryst again, you Know 🤗

Again I remind you of reality. It is XSX that most often has the advantage in resolution... But if you continue to lean on the more than debatable case of Touryst OK, LOL.
more emojis and political bending of answers without providing any facts... your clearly a fanatic theres no reason to respond to ur empty noise anymore im simply wasting time and oxygen and i dont have infinite supplies..

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Well, considering it's the Sony fanboys talking about shadows, so.yeah, in this instance it is apt.
If it was Xbox Fanboys claiming a win because of shadows I would say the same thing.
There is nothing to be won on this game.
Let's just be happy the game actually came out and is in pretty decent shape on all consoles.
Leave the waring to the next Forza MS vs GT thread where there is something to actually compare that reflects the unique benefits to both systems.
But this game? Nah.
Jesus fucking christ dude

Essentially the same other than sharper shadows on PS5. Seems that comes down to api's being used. Being locked 60 fps is really nice.

onQ123

What makes you say that?
We're getting close to the middle of the generation & things are pretty much the same as it was in the beginning so it's not the tools as they was lead to believe in the beginning & they have seen enough to actually assess the hardware.

sachos

We're getting close to the middle of the generation & things are pretty much the same as it was in the beginning so it's not the tools as they was lead to believe in the beginning & they have seen enough to actually assess the hardware.
They did a video addressing the first year of the Next gen consoles but they skipped the second year so i don't know if they would do a video for mid gen. Hope they do, always fun to listen to their insight.

eNT1TY

All versions are good, even steam deck performs at a stable 60 fps on low w/fsr2 performance or 30 fps on medium w/fsr2 balanced.

Lysandros

But to be fair i still consider both to be identical. Doubt anyone is going to notice the differences.
Both can be said to be basically identical perceptually like in most cases (still, the difference in shadows is quite noticeable here). Technically though PS5 is simply outperforming XSX slightly by running with higher quality shadows at a more stable frame rate. That's it.

Last edited:
So i was right on Horse power that PS5 nearly perform as RTX 2070 Super while the settings on PS5 is not ultra as well.

Last edited:
Thank god it's not Alex doing the analisys. Otherwise it would be 10 minutes whining about it not having ray tracing.
IMO Raytracing has not giving anything meaningful expect performance impact.

The best graphical change in gaming was shift from 32 bit to 64 bit and now we are standstill.

Zathalus

IMO Raytracing has not giving anything meaningful expect performance impact.

The best graphical change in gaming was shift from 32 bit to 64 bit and now we are standstill.
There are plenty of games were the impact of RT is extremely noticeable. Cyberpunk is just the most recent example.

Gaiff

Imagine naming Uncharted 4, a game that wasn't even the best-looking in 2016, as a contender for 2023 lmao.

Lysandros

So i was right on Horse power that PS5 nearly perform as RTX 2070 Super while the settings on PS5 is not ultra as well.

His optimised settings with RTX 2080 is with shadows to medium which is at least two settings below PS5's which is very costly according to the analysis. Also PS5 is 60 FPS at 1728P vs his optimized settings 1440P. So not quite.

Zathalus

Well... Sure, uc4 is static. But the end result is still striking
Lln0ouo.jpg

zkygqvb.jpg

JXg1jVu.jpg
Yes, I've played through the game four times. Twice on PS4, once on PS5 and once on PC. I love Uncharted 4, but it simply does not hang out in the same ballpark as Cyberpunk. Disregarding the fact that UC4 is a linear game vs Cyberpunk being a Megacity open world, or even the impressive RT, Cyberpunk asset and model quality is simply better. Especially if you compare in-game to in-game, Nathans model simply does not look as good outside of cutscenes vs something like Judy.

Last edited:

Gaiff

His optimised settings with RTX 2080 is with shadows to medium which is at least two settings below PS5's which is very costly according to the analysis. Also PS5 is 60 FPS at 1728P vs his optimized settings 1440P. So not quite.
The object isn't a performance comparison, it's to test if you can get a console-like performance with a 2080. He didn't even bother matching settings. He just cranked everything to Ultra and dropped Effects and Shadows to Medium. We don't even know how the rest of the settings compare. Additionally, by setting it to a native 1440p, his fps shoots past 100 but with DLSS Quality which has a base resolution of 1440p, it's around 60 but it's also quite a bit more demanding than native 1440p but obviously not anywhere near as heavy as native 4K. There's probably something hitting the 2080 hard at native 4K that causes a bottleneck. Likely the bandwidth gets stretched thin which explains why they went with an 80% scale on both axis on consoles.

Top Bottom