• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Island 2 - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs ALL Last-Gen Consoles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

- The games long development touched upon.
- Uses Unreal Engine 4. Custom "Flesh Engine" proprietary tech added upon for visceral zombie dismemberment all the way to the skeletal frame of a zombie

- Optimized for last gen machines well as it is clearly a 'last gen game first'
- No graphics modes on any platform, all have single profile.

- XBO: 900p / 30 FPS. No DRS seen in DF testing.
- Mostly stable 30 FPS with very minor hitches and single frame drops

- PS4: 1080p / 30 FPS. Same visual features as XBO.
- PS4 has more hitches compared to XBO (CPU related).
- Very playable release otherwise.

- One specific last gen issue is that base PS4/XBO cannot host an online game, only PS4 Pro/ One X onward can do that. Base consoles can only *join* games.

- PS4 Pro / One X have same visual features as PS4/XBO and both run at locked 1440p.
- Outside of one-off drops, they're both incredibly stable.

- PS5: 1728p with 60 FPS target. Held perfectly in DF testing.
- Series X: 1728p. Can have one off drops when using elemental attacks but otherwise 60 held everywhere.
- Series S: 1080p at 60 FPS with occasional minor drop to high 50s but a very steady 60 FPS in most cases.

- Last gen and current gen match visual features, right down to SSR.
- New gen consoles avoid some pop-in because of SSD, however not much else is noteworthy.
- Shadow quality and some effect work benefits from higher resolution and is more detailed.
- New-gen consoles have animation on foliage like trees, which are static on last gen
- Series S runs at lower shadow quality settings, more comparable to last gen than PS5|SX.

- Map is segmented in chunks and areas. Results in some lengthy load times.
- PS4 can take 1 minute+ to load one area, PS5 loads same area in 7 seconds.

- Final pecking order: PS5|SX|SS on top but last gen hold up surprisingly well.

Last edited:
So basically it's a tie between the premium systems. Nice the framerate is really good.

What's the loading like on the XSX?

Last edited:

adamsapple

That's strange. I thought they would include the Series as well.

This is from the elemenopee video

looks like a second or two difference max, where it's 1 minute + on PS4.

vvxXpNU.png

Fbh

Seems like a really solid release.
It's not a visual showcase but the environments look pretty nice IMO, the zombie dismemberment is cool and 1728p with (almost) locked 60fps on current gen is good.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Great performance from the high consoles. Sadly this is the most interesting thing about this game as it is average at best.

In this game it means that RTX 2070 Super is better than current gen console as RTX 2070 Super is better than RTX 3060.

Game is running above 100 fps all the time using FSR 2.0 (Disable it will give around 80 fps).

Mr Moose

In this game it means that RTX 2070 Super is better than current gen console as RTX 2070 Super is better than RTX 3060.

Game is running above 100 fps all the time using FSR 2.0 (Disable it will give around 80 fps).

Are consoles using FSR?
They aren't 1440p and have a fps cap of 60.
3,686,400 (1440) pixels v 5,308,416 pixels (1728).
Not sure if consoles are using ultra settings either.

Last edited:
Aren't consoles are locked to 60 fps video output?

It doesn't mean they can't go over that...
Yes but most them are locked to give better gameplay experience and to avoid jaggies framerate. At least, Developer has used 90 to 95% console raw horsepower that locked it at above 1440p.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's odd how developers refuse to use FSR on consoles. Properly implemented 4k Quality mode FSR 2.2 (so 1440p rendering) should look better then 1728p while performing a bit better as well.

Mr Moose

It's very difficult to trust more in DF these days.

YitCwjE.jpg

How can they not notice the OBVIOUS shadow quality difference between Series X and PS5?
And why hide the loading times on Series consoles?
I noticed it in two other videos (haven't watched this one yet) and what seemed to be flickering on Series X indoors if I remember correctly.
Zathalus Zathalus spotted it too.
Loading times are slightly better on PS5, not by a lot though. I think all of them could be improved here.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I think you guys might be mixing up shadow filtering with shadow resolution.

The Series S is clearly lower resolution here with lower shadow cascades. SX's shadow filtering is very similar, almost 1 : 1 with "PC Max" and PS5's filtering is sharper and different then them both.

We've seen this exact same different in a bunch of games as well. Likely a DX / PS5's custom GL difference in how shadows are handled.

AnDkGz8.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
It's odd how developers refuse to use FSR on consoles. Properly implemented 4k Quality mode FSR 2.2 (so 1440p rendering) should look better then 1728p while performing a bit better as well.

I'm not a fan of FSR, so I'd say they chose correctly, unless the TAA sucks.

also if anything they would use TSR here as that's the UE native upsampling, which is functionally identical to FSR2 tho.
not sure if anyone ever compared them tho, I wonder if TSR is on part with FSR2

adamsapple

what does the second highest PC setting look like? what if these are softshadows that are just labled as the ultra setting?

I wish he would flash his PC settings in the video so we can get an idea but, yeah, unfortunately he only says "PC Max" without much context. So I'm guessing he has the highest pre-set without a lot of custom fiddling. But that's just a guess.

Banned
It's very difficult to trust more in DF these days.

YitCwjE.jpg

How can they not notice the OBVIOUS shadow quality difference between Series X and PS5?

you are aware that they are literally showing you the difference right there in the video of which you made a screenshot... right?

Xbox is max PC, PS5 is weirdly different, this might need a PC analysis to get to the root of.

And why hide the loading times on Series consoles?

because the difference isn't really interesting, sightly slower, as basically always.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I think you guys might be mixing up shadow filtering with shadow resolution.

The Series S is clearly lower resolution here with lower shadow cascades. SX's shadow filtering is very similar, almost 1 : 1 with "PC Max" and PS5's filtering is sharper and different then them both.

We've seen this exact same different in a bunch of games as well. Likely a DX / PS5's custom GL difference in how shadows are handled.

AnDkGz8.jpg

That's right, XSX is using the equivalent of a PC Max. The fact is that this difference in shadows has been seen in other games recently as well. As you say, it may be the difference DX vs PSapi.

It would be interesting to see how the shadows look on high PC and see if there is a difference.

PS. XBO X and PRo being the same 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom