• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.6: the Xbox Series S 60fps upgrade tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Text Article:

--------

Video:

--------

Key points:

In terms of pixel metrics, we're looking at a range of 1080p at peak, going down to 800p lowest, most obvious in the areas where the game can't stick to its 60fps target. As ever, CDPR's engine also uses a form of TAA and reconstruction to produce a final 1080p resolve.
Overall, first impressions are strong. Image quality takes a hit, but we're locked to 60fps in most cases and in our stress test scenarios, the game still acquits itself reasonably well - with any performance drops well within the VRR window.
The second big change for the Series S performance mode is its lowered NPC counts, with the density of crowds significantly dialled back. The same things happens on PS5 and Series X, with this change lowering the burden on both CPU and GPU.

Patch also reduces input latency for PS5|SX in the RT mode:

The other key area of testing for this patch is in improvements to input lag in the Series X/PS5 ray tracing mode. I used a 240fps camera to record myself taking 50 shots with a handgun, measuring the time taken from button press to muzzle flash when firing the weapon. On patch 1.6, Series X has an average latency of 136ms. That's still on the high side, honestly, but definitely an improvement over patch 1.5's remarkably high 163ms.

Last edited:
for anyone who doesn't want to give them hits:

It's been six months since the release of Cyberpunk 2077's 1.5 update - the milestone patch that finally added native support for current generation consoles. CD Projekt RED has not been idle though, the new 1.6 'Edgerunners' update arrived last week, tying in with the new anime. A raft of new content features are added, but the focus of this piece is on a brand-new Xbox Series S performance mode, along with optimisations to the 30fps ray tracing mode on PS5 and Series X, where long-standing complaints about high input lag are finally addressed. Going into this one, we had two separate objectives - to put Series S's new 60 frames per second mode through its paces and also to quantify the latency improvements on the more powerful consoles.

Until the arrival of the new patch, Series S only ran at a capped 30fps at a dynamic 1440p resolution, going down to 2304x1296 lowest via dynamic scaling. There was no mode toggle like on PS5 or Series X - no option to choose between quality and performance. Adding to the disappointment, Series S had no option for ray-traced shadows either. Patch 1.6 doesn't add the RT features, but at least the option to switch between fidelity and frame-rate is there.

Quality mode on Series S today works pretty much just as it did before the patch, in its default mode: it runs the gamut from 1440p down to around 1296p, with a reasonably tight 30fps lock with consistent frame-pacing. The new performance mode - inevitably - degrades some settings. In terms of pixel metrics, we're looking at a range of 1080p at peak, going down to 800p lowest, most obvious in the areas where the game can't stick to its 60fps target. As ever, CDPR's engine also uses a form of TAA and reconstruction to produce a final 1080p resolve.

See how the Cyberpunk 2077 60fps upgrade looks and runs on Xbox Series S - plus how the RT modes on the other current-gen consoles have been improved.
Ultimately, it looks softer than the 1440p quality mode but it still holds up, with the increase to fluidity an obvious win. The biggest blemish to the presentation comes from fine sub-pixel elements, like wire fences, for example. The TAA upscaling doesn't have enough data to work with, resulting in a shimmering mesh - most notable on the outback area. Within the city though, this is less of an issue.

Overall, first impressions are strong. Image quality takes a hit, but we're locked to 60fps in most cases and in our stress test scenarios, the game still acquits itself reasonably well - with any performance drops well within the VRR window. I think Series S is in good shape with this update. We get parity from a performance standpoint with PS5 and Series X, even if resolution does take a hit to 1080p and below.

Beyond resolution, there are some other compromises made to get Cyberpunk 2077 operating at 60fps. There are strategically targeted drops in quality to shadows, and textures. Interior lighting generally flags more pixellated, rough edges, depending on the angle, and the light's distance to an object. The second big change for the Series S performance mode is its lowered NPC counts, with the density of crowds significantly dialled back. The same things happens on PS5 and Series X, with this change lowering the burden on both CPU and GPU. This end result is so effective on Series S that it makes you wonder what extra challenges the team at CDPR had in reaching 60fps, and why it took so long for this feature to arrive.

The original tech review for Cyberpunk 2077's 1.5 patch, which introduced native support for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles.
The other key area of testing for this patch is in improvements to input lag in the Series X/PS5 ray tracing mode. I used a 240fps camera to record myself taking 50 shots with a handgun, measuring the time taken from button press to muzzle flash when firing the weapon. On patch 1.6, Series X has an average latency of 136ms. That's still on the high side, honestly, but definitely an improvement over patch 1.5's remarkably high 163ms. That's an input lag reduction of 27ms on average across the 50 measurements. On PS5, the average came in at 135ms on patch 1.6 - another 27-28ms improvement. This is easily noticeable and a great improvement over the older version of the game. If you're looking for the most responsive experience though, performance mode is still a big improvement, with my result on Series X coming in at just 51ms - an excellent result.

In summary, I'm delighted to say that the Edgerunners update brings only good news all round. Improving input lag in PS5 and Series X RT mode is welcome, of course, but the addition of 60fps to Series S is an excellent addition. It's really solid and the sacrifices to achieve it feel fair too I think. The res drop, reduced shadows, and lower NPCs are all trades I'm happy to make. Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most technically demanding games out there, so the idea of a £250/$299 console delivering that experience at 60 frames per second is brilliant.

Meanwhile, work continues on the game with the Phantom Liberty expansion coming next year - and only for PC and the current generation consoles. We've always felt that the game was held back by the need to support older consoles. Hopes are high that the game will continue to push its technology going forward, unencumbered by the need to accommodate older hardware.

Damn man what did they do lol.

Y'all should give them hits so they keep making this content.
Well go on watch their video. Don't forget to like and subscribe.

I think for a channel that is based on performance/visuals of games they can't be fair or non biased. I used to watching them a lot but they can't help getting their little snide digs into whoever isn't popular. Plus their YT presenters are annoying as hell to watch and listen to.

Last edited:

adamsapple

WxiC8S5.png

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Mr Moose

Damn man what did they do lol.

Y'all should give them hits so they keep making this content.
It's Tom, instant video skip.

He's off with the "lowest via dynamic scaling".
Until the arrival of the new patch, Series S only ran at a capped 30fps at a dynamic 1440p resolution, going down to 2304x1296 lowest via dynamic scaling.

Quality mode on Series S today works pretty much just as it did before the patch, in its default mode: it runs the gamut from 1440p down to around 1296p, with a reasonably tight 30fps lock with consistent frame-pacing.

VG Tech
Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1792x1008. Pixel counts at or near 2112x1188 seem to be common on Xbox Series S.

Is 800p 1280 × 800? If so, this is a bit higher (1422 x 800).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not a problem for switch owners
Nintendo runs their own show.

I'm really interested in knowing if its cdpr being shit (not surprised giving the state of the game at release) or series s being shit.

800p in 2022,let alone 1080p, should be utterly unacceptable on 2022, 60 fps or not.

I could imagine it's laziness from cdpr, but I believe more devs are lazy towards series s given x and ps5 are the main targets.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I'm really interested in knowing if its cdpr being shit (not surprised giving the state of the game at release) or series s being shit.

800p in 2022,let alone 1080p, should be utterly unacceptable on 2022, 60 fps or not.

I could imagine it's laziness from cdpr, but I believe more devs are lazy towards series s given x and ps5 are the main targets.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. PS5 and SX drop to ~1080p (1162p) in their 60 FPS modes, Series S is proportionally doing much better.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think you're being a bit harsh here. PS5 and SX drop to ~1080p (1162p) in their 60 FPS modes, Series S is proportionally doing much better.
So cdpr is just piss poor as doing optimization.

Even for a cross gen game.

They are using FSR for upscaling. Tom found it to look close to 1440p 30 fps mode.

So...

YCoCg

I mean there's only so far you can go with a third of the GPU Power and crippled ram. Microsoft should've anticipated that and at least boosted the RAM and marketed the machine as a 1080p device since that's what most use it on.

DaGwaphics

In this game, given the performance profile, 800p lows is an accomplishment in 60fps mode. The big boys hang around 1440p here in 60fps, 720p would have been the expected result for XSS, they did good.

Banned
that's a damn good patch, I didn't really expect such a solid framerate tbh.

the 30fps mode on the premium consoles remains hot garbage tho it seems, well... that on the other hand doesn't surprise me lol

TexMex

I think for a channel that is based on performance/visuals of games they can't be fair or non biased. I used to watching them a lot but they can't help getting their little snide digs into whoever isn't popular. Plus their YT presenters are annoying as hell to watch and listen to.

Did someone make a joke about your favorite game :’(

adamsapple

that's a damn good patch, I didn't really expect such a solid framerate tbh.

the 30fps mode on the premium consoles remains hot garbage tho it seems, well... that on the other hand doesn't surprise me lol

Let's be honest, people will notice the doubling of performance a lot more than some missing NPCs or lowered shadow effects at half the refresh.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"There are strategically targeted drops in quality to shadows, and textures. Interior lighting generally flags more pixellated, rough edges, depending on the angle, and the light's distance to an object."

Basketball Wives Ugh GIF by VH1

Series S is running the hell out of this game. Very impressive effort by the devs. This game is one of the best advertisements possible for the Series S, since it's easily one of the most impressive games released within the last 3 years still.

Stuart360

People are dissing 800p while not realizing it's impressive the humble Series S is pulling off running this game as well as it is without exploding.
I mean my 1080ti has nearly 3 times the horsepower of the XSS (probably more than 3 times with my hefty overclock actually) and i have to play at 1080p to keep 60fps. Sure thats at Ultra settings (minus RT), and the XSS probably isnt close to Ultra, but still to me its impressive they got 60fps on XSS at any resolution!.

Billbofet

Tried it on my XS and I was very impressed. Going back to the quality settings was ROUGH!!!! I might try it again at some point. At release I got about five hours in before bailing.

Thebonehead

Banned

braids GIF

Top Bottom