• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Xbox Beta Tested + Ground War PS5 Analysis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's week two of the Modern Warfare 2 beta and Tom Morgan is back to check out how the game is shaping up on Xbox consoles... and to return to PS5 to examine how the massively multiplayer ground war mode is shaping up, both on Xbox and PlayStation 5 consoles!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

Resolutions:
- XBO: Dynamic 900p w/ horizontal scaling.
- One X: Dynamic 2160p w/ horizontal scaling to 1920x2160p at the lowest.
- Series S: Dynamic 1440p with lowest of 2250x1440p.
- Series X: Dynamic 2160p with rare drops

Visual Features:
- PS5 and SX have visual quality parity pretty much everywhere.
- Between generations XBO has lowest shadows and textures, XBX onward get high quality textures and Series consoles get higher quality shadows as well.
- Geometry pop-in is visible on all platforms. Visual cutbacks on the giant ground war maps are severe in terms of pop-in and texture filtering on base XBO
- The above mentioned severe pop-in and filtering issues are not present in One X and up

Performance:
- Typical locked 60 FPS in game play in 6v6 mode on all consoles. XBO drops during kill streak and respawns to mid 40s at worst.
- Taxing areas where base PS4 dropped, XBO also drops to mid to low 40s
- One X and Series consoles have no issue keeping 60 FPS with occasional drops on One X. Series consoles are locked 60 FPS everywhere

Ground War Mode (64 players):
- Base XBO struggles and hangs in mid 30 and 45 FPS
- One X is sub 60 FPS, hangs between 45 to 60 FPS
- Both Series consoles run at a locked 60 FPS

120hz Mode:
- On Series X resolution drops to 1440p.
- Only drop noticed in the stress market area with drops to 100 FPS w/ Ground War mode typically always at or close to120hz. PS5 and SX look and run virtually identical
- On Series S resolution drops to 1080p
- The market area drops more than PS5/SX and the Ground War mode generally hangs between 80 to 100 FPS with even moments of drops to 60 FPS
- Series S recommended to stick to 60 FPS in the Ground War mode

Last edited:

Little Mac

Series S

Kevin Durant Mvp GIF by NBA

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Wow it looks like trash all around. Nearly unplayable on the One S though. This cross gen shit is a huge joke.

MOVE ON. Been 9 fucking years.
Played the Beta on PS5. I haven't been playing modern COD's with the exception of Modern Warfare (2019) single player, but the game definitely feels and looks old. It's abundantly clear this game has roots in jaguar CPU's, etc.

Isa

Gold Member
Summary:

Resolutions:
- XBO: Dynamic 900p w/ horizontal scaling.
- One X: Dynamic 2160p w/ horizontal scaling to 1920x2160p at the lowest.
- Series S: Dynamic 1440p with lowest of 2250x1440p.
- Series X: Dynamic 2160p with rare drops

Visual Features:
- PS5 and SX have visual quality parity pretty much everywhere.
- Between generations XBO has lowest shadows and textures, XBX onward get high quality textures and Series consoles get higher quality shadows as well.
- Geometry pop-in is visible on all platforms. Visual cutbacks on the giant ground war maps are severe in terms of pop-in and texture filtering on base XBO
- The above mentioned severe pop-in and filtering issues are not present in One X and up

Performance:
- Typical locked 60 FPS in game play in 6v6 mode on all consoles. XBO drops during kill streak and respawns to mid 40s at worst.
- Taxing areas where base PS4 dropped, XBO also drops to mid to low 40s
- One X and Series consoles have no issue keeping 60 FPS with occasional drops on One X. Series consoles are locked 60 FPS everywhere

Ground War Mode (64 players):
- Base XBO struggles and hangs in mid 30 and 45 FPS
- One X is sub 60 FPS, hangs between 45 to 60 FPS
- Both Series consoles run at a locked 60 FPS

120hz Mode:
- On Series X resolution drops to 1440p.
- Only drop noticed in the stress market area with drops to 100 FPS w/ Ground War mode typically always at or close to120hz. PS5 and SX look and run virtually identical
- On Series S resolution drops to 1080p
- The market area drops more than PS5/SX and the Ground War mode generally hangs between 80 to 100 FPS with even moments of drops to 60 FPS
- Series S recommended to stick to 60 FPS in the Ground War mode
Thanks for the write-up!

Max_Po

Banned
I played it on PS5 and XBXSeries X...

I am pretty sure no one was satisfied with the graphics... they are trash.

on PS5 I noticed a lot of pop-in ... expecially on TREES

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

I think calling it trash is some what extreme when you’re just looking at a multiplayer game that has to support the xbox one. And ps4 still

Max_Po

Banned
I think calling it trash is some what extreme when you’re just looking at a multiplayer game that has to support the xbox one. And ps4 still

The game does not look differrent/upgraded enough from the 2019? game ..... and that (2019) was patched to support 120 fps mode.

TRASH in context is just a referrence to Low effort.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The game does not look differrent/upgraded enough from the 2019? game ..... and that (2019) was patched to support 120 fps mode.

TRASH in context is just a referrence to Low effort.
When did people care about graphics in call of duty multiplayer?

TheShocker

Last gen has to go. No other complaints from me though. I’ve got it preordered on both consoles for now. Sucks that we can’t have just console only crossplay.

For real ..looks not a drop better than MW 2019 ..I was pretty shocked

It's cross gen laziness. Doesn't look bad due to cross gen, it looks bad because they didn't care to push the next gen consoles at all which they still could have. But why bother? No other publishers are pushing their games hard plus they know it'll sell regardless.

This does make me think the single player won't be as impressive as I initially thought. When they showed off the single player I thought it looked pretty great but I bet ya that was running on a high end PC. It probably will look about the same as MW 2019 did too.

Cattlyst

Do they still make you download that awful front end before you can even launch a single player game? That put me off ever buying another cod game

Do they still make you download that awful front end before you can even launch a single player game? That put me off ever buying another cod game
It seems to be self sufficient for the beta but that may change at release. But once you get in the interface is poop inside.

Top Bottom