• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Best SSD for PS5 2021

ethomaz

Banned
With the official specs for compatible SSDs Digital Foundry made tests with some SSDs in the market and listed the best ones.
Of course these are a small list with what they could test... more and cheaper options will eventually show up.

Best PS5 SSDs

As you can see from the table above, there are quite a few requirements, particularly around the heatsink size, but there should be a good selection of compatible drives available very soon. We're still contacting drive makers to confirm which drives will 100% be compatible and we're looking forward to testing out the new functionality ourselves, but for now here are drives that meet Sony's listed requirements:

• Seagate FireCuda 530 (heatsink version available) - $255/£235 for 1TB
  • Western Digital Black SN850 (heatsink version available) - $250/£218 for 1TB
  • Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 7000S - $199/£188 for 1TB
  • Patriot Viper VP4300 - $225/£210 for 1TB
  • Samsung 980 Pro (requires additional heatsink) - $199/£178 for 1TB
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (requires additional heatsink) - $199/£199 for 1TB
Note that the Aorus NVMe drive is listed as being 11.4mm tall, just above the 11.25mm maximum height, but I tested the same heatsink with a drive inserted and it seems to fit OK, not preventing the drive cover from being installed. We're leaving it on our list of recommendations for now.

Here are some standalone NVMe SSD heatsinks that should meet the height requirements - confirmation incoming!

Finally, here are some drives that meet the speed requirements but are unlikely to physically fit due to relatively tall (and hard-to-remove) heatsinks.

• Corsair MP600 Pro (15mm tall)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Affiliate link clickbait.

money cash GIF

ethomaz

Banned
Demand will rise, so…probably not.
I mean.... these are high-end models PCIE4 SSDs... manufactures are still to release the budget ones.
For example.

PCIE3: 970Pro, 870EVO
PCIE4: 980Pro, ?

If the budget ones fits the specs it will be compatible.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That Aorus one is a good deal.
So basically get the 980 pro (y)
I was trying to find some PCIe 4 drives on Amazon and shoulda just looked at my wish list. I ordered the WD with no heat sink, I was trying to stay in that $199 range.

I can see myself getting another drive, but will wait for further testing.

so price wise on par or above the 1TB xbox expansion, all is well in the world and everyone is getting shafted equally.
Maybe you wanna compare the specs of the Series consoles drive and try again. It should be cheaper.

2.4GB/s SSDs cost near half what MS is asking.
Exactly.

2.4GB/s vs 7GB/s. Hell, I posted a 5GB/s drive in another thread thats $160.

Last edited:

acm2000

2.4GB/s SSDs cost near half what MS is asking.
why does that matter? its the speed the xbox requires so thats what you have to get, these are the speed ps5 requires so thats what you have to get, there are no choices either way.

the end user only cares about adding the storage not the specs, you have to pay what you have to pay on both sides of the war.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
why does that matter? its the speed the xbox requires so thats what you have to get, these are the speed ps5 requires so thats what you have to get, there are no choices either way.

the end user only cares about adding the storage not the specs, you have to pay what you have to pay on both sides of the war.
It does matter... sppeeds defines the price of the SSD.
All SSDs in the OP works above 5.5GB/s.

The fact Sony options costs the same or even cheaper than MS options tells you a lot.
Tells you MS is really overpricing their SSDs a lot.
Tells you the non high-end PCIE4 (below 7GB/s) will be even cheaper.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sony has listed that 5.5GB/s is recommended. Alot of us thought it was gonna be 7GB/s. Either something changed or we were all wrong.

No drive in the OP is 5.5GB/s. They are all 7GB/s.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Did you even watch that video? They didn't install one. It just used footage from the teardown. Complete clickbait.

Sony has listed that 5GB/s is recommended. Alot of us thought it was gonna be 7GB/s. Either something changed or we were all wrong.

No drive in the OP is 5GB/s. They are all 7GB/s.

I don't think anyone makes a 5GB/s drive.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Most manufactures didn't launch the PCIE4 budget models yet.
But there is some:

Last edited:

skit_data

I’ll probably wait with buying bigger storage, like I did with PS3 and PS4.

I’ve got fast and reliable internet so buying a NVME is more about conveniance rather than absolute necessity. I might buy an external HDD for my PS4 games, shouldn’t be any storage problems if you keep the internal exclusively for PS5 titles.

Last edited:

Hugare

Yeah, I think I'll stick to moving in-out from the external HDD for quite some time

Prices here in Brazil wont go down anytime soon

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Im gonna hold off for a year or two, hopefully prices will come down even just a little
Prices already went down a little bit here in the US. About $30 for the WD Black.

Tripolygon

Banned
There are 5GB/s SSDs and they are a bit cheaper than 7GB/s SSDs. Its just most of them have 5GB/s read and less than 4GB/s write. But in this case I think the read is more important than the write speed. I can't wait to see DF do testing on those.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There are 5GB/s SSDs and they are a bit cheaper than 7GB/s SSDs. Its just most of them have 5GB/s read and less than 4GB/s write. But in this case I think the read is more important than the write speed. I can't wait to see DF do testing on those.
Yes but PS5 needs > 5.5GB/s reads but there is none in the market below 7GB/s.
Of course PCIE4 5.5GB/s SSDs will eventually get launched.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Yes but PS5 needs > 5.5GB/s reads but there is none in the market below 7GB/s.
Of course PCIE4 5.5GB/s SSDs will eventually get launched.
I know what they said is recommended. I just think there is a chance using something a little less will still work and I can't wait to see DF try and benchmark 5GB/s SSD. There are quite a bit on the market for around $150 which is the most I am willing to pay for this. Lol

Let me dream damnit.

ethomaz

Banned
I know what they said is recommended. I just think there is a chance using something a little less will still work and I can't wait to see DF try and benchmark 5GB/s SSD. There are quite a bit on the market for around $150 which is the most I am willing to pay for this. Lol

Let me dream damnit.
It is worth to be tested indeed ;)

Kuranghi

I've always been a massive cheapskate about SSDs in my PC, I bought a 120GB one (ancient, not even NVMe) to use as my system drive way back and even though the games themselves are still on mechanical drives I still seem to get a big benefit, games rarely take more than 20 seconds to load.

Stuff thats made to reload fast takes literally 2-3 seconds, like Hitman. So I've never felt the need to upgrade the storage drives to SSDs, would cost me near a thousand for the same amount of space as I have on the mechanical drives am I out of date on that too:

How much is it for 8TB of good speed SSDs?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

stick to major brands some SSD makers have been swapping parts on later models to save cost after reviews hit.

Top Bottom