• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital downloads jumped 47% across Europe in 2020 | European Annual Report

Astorian

211.9 million games were sold across UK & Ireland, mainland Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) in 2020, according to sales tracker GSD.
65 million boxed games were sold across the various markets, which is a rise of 0.8%.
FIFA 21 was No.1 in almost every market bar Finland, where the top seller was NHL 21
The biggest publisher of boxed games across Europe was Nintendo, with a market share of over 28%, more than double EA in second place. In terms of digital, Ubisoft is No.1 with a nearly 18% market share, again ahead of EA in second place.
In terms of consoles, PS4 was the biggest platform for downloads across the tracked publishers, accounting for 52% of sales -- PC was in second place with 27%
In terms of boxed games, it is still PS4 at the top with a 43% market share, although it is only narrowly ahead of Nintendo Switch, which has a 41% market share

GSD Annual 2020 Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1FIFA 21 (EA)
2Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
4FIFA 20 (EA)
5Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
6Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
7The Last of Us Part 2 (Sony)
8Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
10Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
11NBA 2K20 (2K Games)
12Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)*
13Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
14Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt)*
15Minecraft: Switch Edition (Nintendo/Microsoft)*
16Ghost of Tsushima (Sony)
17Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
18Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
19Just Dance 2020
20Super Mario Party (Nintendo)*
*Digital data not available

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Expected, when you can hardly go to shop without issues and delivery services are over capacity, who wants to wait for a game.

Rikkori

Eh, I'm always wary of these reports because there's just too many exclusions. Excluded half of Europe, excluded all sorts of big publishers, etc. Not enough data for an accurate picture, so you get a half-painted misleading situation.

Lots more stats inside, PS4 + Switch accounting for 84% of total boxed games is sure something.
I mean what else is there? Microsoft doesn't even try through most of Europe, with many countries being even excluded from opening a native live account, and PC is basically almost all digital.

Rikkori

Where does Microsoft try?
the bachelorette crying GIF

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising with the pandemic. I have converted to mostly digital also. Haven't bought a game in a while as I'm focusing on my backlog, but I would likely just pick something from the deals page on PSN. It has been that way for a while.

Top Bottom