• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difference between Sony and MS back compat tech?

Hudo

Reason I asked was that the Decima engine had to get ported over to PC API, so I assume that puts decima engine games on PS5 in a similar position to Direct X games on Xbox?
I mean, yeah. Technically, they could put Decima-based games on PC no problem, I guess. I assume that Decima is probably the way to go if Sony wants games on multiple platforms.

OnionSnake

Banned
games on Xbox are on a higher API, that helps porting software to different hardware. but limits access to full hardware capabilities.

games on PS4/PS5 are on lower level API (as in closer to the metal), this gives more access to hardware capabilities. but limits cross platform compatibility. the new hardware would need to "mimic" the behavior of the original hardware. this is how compatibility is done PS4Pro and PS5.

vTVSqXm.jpg
This logo filled me with such hope, because there is room there to list PS3 PS2 and PS1 to fill out the shape. Why did Cerny do this to us?!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Not without recompiled executables it isn't. Thats not BC.
Except for the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy not a single line of code has been changed in any BC games.
Digital Foundry talks with Microsoft about Xbox 360 support, including the 4K-enhanced Xbox One X titles.
There are certain principles that remain in place with all back-compat titles. So for example, Microsoft never actually changes a single line of game code, even in scenarios that suggest the opposite.
Although they do some changes for Xbox One games optimized for Series S|X.

MonarchJT

Banned
games on Xbox are on a higher API, that helps porting software to different hardware. but limits access to full hardware capabilities.

games on PS4/PS5 are on lower level API (as in closer to the metal), this gives more access to hardware capabilities. but limits cross platform compatibility. the new hardware would need to "mimic" the behavior of the original hardware. this is how compatibility is done PS4Pro and PS5.

vTVSqXm.jpg
lol ..no no..is basically the opposite xbox have full access to their hardware ...ps5 let the game think it have less and less cu's to emulate the ps4pro or ps4

Miles708

Not without recompiled executables it isn't. Thats not BC.
Exactly.
Microsoft solution needs them to literally change every game to make them executable on the new console.
And that's a totally fine approach.

BUT

if your plan is to make a title preservable in the future, it should work out-of-the-box, meaning:
  • it's OK to have an emulator and update that to make it compatible with more games
  • it's NOT OK to make new versions of old games, to make them run at all
It means that, as soon as Xbox Live is down, or Microsoft doesn't want to host those files anymore, or if a new console comes out and thy don't want to actively support compatibility anymore, you're back to square one.

That's why Sony's approach for PS5 is such a let down. They've made all the right choices (meaning: BC working from disc, right out of the box) but limited themselves to 1 gen only. Come on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom