• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difference between Sony and MS back compat tech?

It appears that Sonys answer to BC with the PS4 was to downclock the GPU to match either the PS4 or the PS4 Pro clocks, basically imitating the PS4 models to help run the code.

Is this the exact way MS also handled it?
If not, how do MS and Sony vary their BC tech?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No, MS is handling this situation differently, beause all the games since X360 runs in isolated virtual machine. Hypervisior is what they call it. So consoles is always full power, but when the FPS is locked they cannot do much else outside of hacking this virtual machine. Games has to be downloaded again, only Xbox One games are runned without any modification, even from external HDD where was games downloaded on Xbox One.

PS5 runs game pretty much natively, just have some list which clocks should be used for which game. Different approach.

I think each xbox game runs in its own virtual machine with its own OS, tweaked for each game.
Playstation as you said seems to run the hardware as a PS4 or PS4 pro in order to get those game running, i wonder how much of an influence getting the PS4 games to run had on the design of the PS5.

Amiga

games on Xbox are on a higher API, that helps porting software to different hardware. but limits access to full hardware capabilities.

games on PS4/PS5 are on lower level API (as in closer to the metal), this gives more access to hardware capabilities. but limits cross platform compatibility. the new hardware would need to "mimic" the behavior of the original hardware. this is how compatibility is done PS4Pro and PS5.

vTVSqXm.jpg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
games on Xbox are on a higher API, that helps porting software to different hardware. but limits access to full hardware capabilities.

games on PS4/PS5 are on lower level API (as in closer to the metal), this gives more access to hardware capabilities. but limits cross platform compatibility. the new hardware would need to "mimic" the behavior of the original hardware. this is how compatibility is done PS4Pro and PS5.

vTVSqXm.jpg
Xbox runs all games using a heavy layer of software. PS5/PS4 development environments are much closer to the metal which is why BC is so much easier with Xbox but also why Playstation punches above its weight.
Xbox One games run natively on Series S|X.

Magog.

Banned
Xbox One games run natively on Series S|X.

We are talking about different things. Xbox uses a software development environment that is far removed from the actual hardware. The latest version for Series X is actually includes PC development in it as well so the software supports a vast array of different hardware specs from Series S to the beefiest Nvidia and Intel Gpus and CPUs. A totally different approach compared to the PS5 software which targets a single hardware design.

Bernkastel

We are talking about different things. Xbox uses a software development environment that is far removed from the actual hardware. The latest version for Series X is actually includes PC development in it as well so the software supports a vast array of different hardware specs from Series S to the beefiest Nvidia and Intel Gpus and CPUs. A totally different approach compared to the PS5 software which targets a single hardware design.
I am pretty sure this thread is about BC not dev kits.

FritzJ92

Not completely accurate, on the Xbox side, the software actually has full access to the hardware, this is exactly why MS uses a hypervisor to run games through. Essentially the games aren't tied to the hardware so whatever you put in there the games will use all the resources available. This is also why you'll notice games that are BC don have to deal with clock management or may have issues running on more powerful hardware.

Sony games seem tied to the hardware. The PS4Pro had to use a butterfly chip to enable PS4 games to work. I wouldn't doubt that the PS5 36 CUs were a factor of BC in addition to the boosted frequencies. PS4 18CU/PS4 Pro had to use 36 CU for PS4 games to work (the software you trick the game into thinking you had 18 CU for PS4 games). The PS5 36 CUs also meaning games still can use the same trick to work (this part is speculation).

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I thought it was conclusive that GoT and Days Gone were best experienced on PS5 @ 60 fps. Did I read that wrong somehow?
They are that is correct, but lets be honest, Sony needs to respond better than this with their incredible 1st party titles...Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us 2 to name but a few would be fantastic titles to update for PS5.

Their 1st party titles weren't even updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro, a real missed opportunity, and whilst the PS4 Pro wasn't a huge upgrade, we now know that Bloodborne could have had a 60fps option if they'd have patched it in.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Will Sony's backwards compatibility model begin to cause trouble in future generations?

I think for them to continue they will have to make sure their games will run on hardware that isn't a multiple of 18 or 36 CU based. I bet the PS6 is 72 CUs... lol

Last edited:

Bernkastel

of course they run natively. on API, the PS4/PS5 also use API. the difference is in the level of API.
The Xbox One version of DirectX 11(also called DirectX 11.X) and DirectX 12 are low level API just like the DirectX versions in older Xbox consolese. Consoles always use low level API. Although PC's also started doing this with Vulkan and DirectX 12.
MS create a virtual machine that emulates the old Xbox hardware.
Xbox S|X does not really emulate Xbox One games(only OG/360 games). They both use the same OS, Xbox One users got the Series UI after Series S|X launch.

Last edited:

Amiga

I think for them to continue they will have to make sure their games will run on hardware that isn't a multiple of 18 or 36 CU based. I bet the PS5 is 72 CUs... lol
CPU one of the biggest PS5 advancements over the PS4. so a PS5Pro can use the same PS5 CPU, and only upgrade/double the GPU. and the GPU clock on the PS5 is already high as it is. there would be no need to change clocks. so backwards compatibility should be simpler than PS4Pro.

Onironauta

The Xbox One version of DirectX 11(also called DirectX 11X) and DirectX 12 are low level API just like the DirectX versions in older Xbox consolese. Consoles always use low level API. Although PC's also started doing this with Vulkan and DirectX 12.

Xbox S|X does not really emulate Xbox One games(only OG/360 games). They both use the same OS, Xbox One users got the Series UI after Series S|X launch.
Both XBOne e XSX/S games run inside a virtualized environment. Their APIs are not hardware-specific like PS4/PS5 ones.

Last edited:
They are that is correct, but lets be honest, Sony needs to respond better than this with their incredible 1st party titles...Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us 2 to name but a few would be fantastic titles to update for PS5.

Their 1st party titles weren't even updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro, a real missed opportunity, and whilst the PS4 Pro wasn't a huge upgrade, we now know that Bloodborne could have had a 60fps option if they'd have patched it in.
I was being honest thats why I mention those two you neglected to in your original post of which I responded.

FritzJ92

CPU one of the biggest PS5 advancements over the PS4. so a PS5Pro can use the same PS5 CPU, and only upgrade/double the GPU. and the GPU clock on the PS5 is already high as it is. there would be no need to change clocks. so backwards compatibility should be simpler than PS4Pro.
I'm not talking clock speeds, that's never been an issue with BC, it's the actual hardware itself since the games are built around the PS5 hardware directly (BC as in next-gen PS6). I'm fairly confident Sony needs to create a software that makes the games bypass the hardware the games are expecting, or have to do another butterfly-like chip to keep BC flawless. I don't think these consoles will have any Pro variants, I'm expecting a shorter life cycle with games being built for both gens (current and next longer)... kind of how things are going now.

Bernkastel

Both XBOne e XSX/S games run inside a virtualized environment. Their APIs are not hardware-specific like PS4/PS5 ones.
The Xbox One, as you may recall, uses Microsoft’s Direct3D 11.X API. This details of this API are scarce as they’re only open to registered Xbox One developers, but fundamentally it’s said to be a variant of Direct3D 11 with a number of Xbox One additions, including low level API features that would be suitable for programming a console.

onesvenus

If you take a look at the Hot Chips conference they answer a question regarding "how far removed from the actual hardware is their software development" and they say that's a common missconception.
It's true that they use a high level API across different platforms but on compile time all that boilerplate is removed to interact directly at driver level.

Magog.

Banned
If you take a look at the Hot Chips conference they answer a question regarding "how far removed from the actual hardware is their software development" and they say that's a common missconception.
It's true that they use a high level API across different platforms but on compile time all that boilerplate is removed to interact directly at driver level.

Of course they would say that but it's pretty hard to believe.

Xbox upgrades their 1st party games....
Sony 1st party hasn't......yet.......🤞

This is not true (the Sony part).

It's not just first-party games either. Just like Series X, Cyberpunk feels like a different game on PS5, despite still playing the BC version.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

I thought it was already known that MS uses a variant of DX for the Xbox for low-level access on the Hardware....\

Just like how Xbox uses Windows, but a heavily modified version for Xbox

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I hope Sony keeps improving theirs. I'd like 60 fps in fallout 4 and Skyrim too (of course those are a bit different circumstances).

Magog.

Banned
Probably fine, maybe just copy and paste it if there are any issues?

I know I'd like to see the list

Scroll down to see the list. It's like a table with categories of the improvements so it would be too hard to copy and paste. Mods I'm new so if there are unwritten rules you want to enforce here show some mercy.

Only thing it doesn't seem to show are dualsense additions which GoW and TLOU2 are supposed to have.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Of course is better to believe someone on an internet forum.

Unity touts similar things with their one size fits all approach and I think we all know what a load of bull that is.

So if Sony continue the trend of releasing their games on PC, does that mean that in the future Sony could have a similar situation as MS with BC?

Warablo

Think the PS5 just runs it like a PS4 Pro unless further updated, while Xbox uses a virtual machine (basically tricks the system thinking its running on a 360) for 360/OG Xbox and older games, while Xbox One games run normally with like upgraded GPU.

Last edited:

Hudo

So if Sony continue the trend of releasing their games on PC, does that mean that in the future Sony could have a similar situation as MS with BC?
Even if they don't release their games on PC, they need to ensure BC at this point because they want people to migrate (with their accounts) to the next platform. If they BTFO significant parts of people's digital library, they run the risk of losing those customers as it is easier for a customer to make a "cut", so to speak. You want to keep people locked into your ecosystem. So both Sony and Microsoft (and Nintendo) have brought this onto themselves with the online digital store shit.

Even if they don't release their games on PC, they need to ensure BC at this point because they want people to migrate (with their accounts) to the next platform. If they BTFO significant parts of people's digital library, they run the risk of losing those customers as it is easier for a customer to make a "cut", so to speak. You want to keep people locked into your ecosystem. So both Sony and Microsoft (and Nintendo) have brought this onto themselves with the online digital store shit.
Reason I asked was that the Decima engine had to get ported over to PC API, so I assume that puts decima engine games on PS5 in a similar position to Direct X games on Xbox?

Top Bottom