• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard holds up damn well for a movie that is over 30 years old

SantaC

Bruce Willis was a stud in his younger years. This movie has aged like fine wine, and it even had touchscreens lol.

Some of the action scenes are still breathtaking today, and the pace is pretty much perfect. One of the best action movies of all-time for sure.

MV5BZjRlNDUxZjAtOGQ4OC00OTNlLTgxNmQtYTBmMDgwZmNmNjkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Brofist

Many good old movies hold up well, 3 decades isn`t that old.

A lot of the similar action style movies of the time didn't hold up well, so I see where OP is coming from.

Of course taking into account all movies there are quite a lot of old movies that hold up well.

nush

I'm set for my Christmas Eve annual rewatch. Only this year it's going to be in 4K. :messenger_sunglasses:

Stunning influential movie thats one of the best from what could be considered a disposable action flick. It's right up there with Robocop and The Terminator.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Havent watched it yet, but on Netflix, they have a new show called The Movies that Made Us. Die Hard is one of the 4 moves they spotlight.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
John McTiernan was a great director. Too bad his career and personal life went down the shitter.

Could have been remembered as one of the great American auteurs.

Kagey K

Banned
It has aged really well, I’m not sure what the best aging movie is but I’m sure Elm Street 1 must be up there.
For older movies like that as far as audio and video go, T2 4K still holds up really well, and these 4K versions of the OT Star Wars Trilogy look better then I ever remember.

i am kind of biased and still think some old movies look better then new ones now, cheesy effects and all.

brap

Banned
For older movies like that as far as audio and video go, T2 4K still holds up really well, and these 4K versions of the OT Star Wars Trilogy look better then I ever remember.

i am kind of biased and still think some old movies look better then new ones now, cheesy effects and all.
T2 4k looks like runny hot steamy dogshit soup. Just smooth all the grain away so all the actors look like wax figures. Nice job.
16359_11_1080p.jpg
\\

16359_39_1080p.jpg

Watched this the other night and it's still enjoyable.

I also marathoned Lethal Weapon 1-4 which still holds up well.

Maybe old movies were average but todays movies are totally dogshit, which is why old movies still look good?

Watched this the other night and it's still enjoyable.

I also marathoned Lethal Weapon 1-4 which still holds up well.

Maybe old movies were average but todays movies are totally dogshit, which is why old movies still look good?

I think it's a lot like 'old' music where the stuff you still hear/listen to is/was the good stuff. There were tons of bad songs and bad movies but they never get play so we've all mostly forgotten about them, making it seem like everyone movie or song we do see or remember was a classic.. So we start to think the whole decade was nothing but classics!

I think there is a ton of good content from the 80s and 90s..but am not sure if that's just my bias or not.

I think it's a lot like 'old' music where the stuff you still hear/listen to is/was the good stuff. There were tons of bad songs and bad movies but they never get play so we've all mostly forgotten about them, making it seem like everyone movie or song we do see or remember was a classic.. So we start to think the whole decade was nothing but classics!

I think there is a ton of good content from the 80s and 90s..but am not sure if that's just my bias or not.

Hmm, maybe. But good movies from back then were better than good movies from back now.

Blade runner is simply incredible for an early 80's movie. Every inch of every scene is perfectly crafted.

Aliens, Robocop, terminator, predator, running man, total recall, demolition man, naked gun, silence of the lambs...they're all so well put together. Even when CGI sucked dick, it still looks better than most stuff today. T-1000 walking through the metal bars and catching his gun still leaves me in awe.

brap

Banned

Bad movies can still be enjoyable. Give me something like Ninja III or Ghoulies III any day over made for netflix focus tested assembly line horse shit with 0 charm or originality.

Bad movies can still be enjoyable. Give me something like Ninja III or Ghoulies III any day over made for netflix focus tested assembly line horse shit with 0 charm or originality.

There is definitely a line where bad movies become great movies and then horrible movies.

I like that it's an unstable line though as no one can really find it on purpose.

Gargus

Banned
It's the best Christina movie of all time so this makes sense

Only it isn't a Christmas movie. It isn't about the holiday, isn't about presents, family, the spirit of christmas, learning a Christmas lesson, religion, isn't about Santa, or anything. It's simply just set during the Christmas holiday.

Long kiss goodnight, la confidential, batman returns, three days of the condor, etc. There are dozens and dozens of movies set adjacent to Christmas that are not actually Christmas movies. Even goodfellas is partially set during christmas but it isn't a Christmas movie.

Even Bruce willis says it is not a Christmas movie

Last edited:
I'm set for my Christmas Eve annual rewatch. Only this year it's going to be in 4K. :messenger_sunglasses:

Stunning influential movie thats one of the best from what could be considered a disposable action flick. It's right up there with Robocop and The Terminator.
Same here.

The 80s, when entertainment was made for entertainment

BTW, all three movies feature a strong, prominent female... Who the male could not have succeeded without them.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I watched this last year during Christmas, and I have to agree.

Trogdor1123

Only it isn't a Christmas movie. It isn't about the holiday, isn't about presents, family, the spirit of christmas, learning a Christmas lesson, religion, isn't about Santa, or anything. It's simply just set during the Christmas holiday.

Long kiss goodnight, la confidential, batman returns, three days of the condor, etc. There are dozens and dozens of movies set adjacent to Christmas that are not actually Christmas movies. Even goodfellas is partially set during christmas but it isn't a Christmas movie.

Nope, it's a Christmas movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is the 90's and '00's that will suffer. Their CGI is ageing TERRIBLY and they used way too much of it. Lost in SPace is absolutely unwatchable due to that monkey thing, as is Mummy 2. Star Wars prequels, need I go on. I think in the past 10 years or so some folks have figured it out, but even now stuff like Black Panther and probably Alita are gonna be trashbin level flicks due to the terrible effects.

Carpenters The Thing will always be a classic and watchable because it is all real stuff. Prosthetics will always get a pass that CGI can not.

Hinedorf

Banned
It is the 90's and '00's that will suffer. Their CGI is ageing TERRIBLY and they used way too much of it. Lost in SPace is absolutely unwatchable due to that monkey thing, as is Mummy 2. Star Wars prequels, need I go on. I think in the past 10 years or so some folks have figured it out, but even now stuff like Black Panther and probably Alita are gonna be trashbin level flicks due to the terrible effects.

Carpenters The Thing will always be a classic and watchable because it is all real stuff. Prosthetics will always get a pass that CGI can not.

Indiana Jones was one of my favorites as a kid but when I've gone back and watched them as an adult the special effects to action scenes do not hold up at all. As a child I guess it was easy to just not notice all the acting special effects flaws but as an adult it was jarring.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Indiana Jones was one of my favorites as a kid but when I've gone back and watched them as an adult the special effects to action scenes do not hold up at all. As a child I guess it was easy to just not notice all the acting special effects flaws but as an adult it was jarring.

NAZI NAZI NAZI!!!!!! This should be a bannable opinion :p

Say what you want, but Raiders is as perfect a film as it gets. Shoddy effects are part of the experience! Yeah, you can see the glass between indy and the snakes. Yeah, the face melting has a low frame rate. But that is the charm! You know what has no charm? Low res CGI!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

You could say that about Home Alone & Gremlins

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

okp66FD.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its funny how one of the main characters is a cop who shot an unarmed kid, and we sympathize with him, and the culmination of his arc is a triumphant return to him being able to shoot people again.

brap

Banned
Its funny how one of the main characters is a cop who shot an unarmed kid, and we sympathize with him, and the culmination of his arc is a triumphant return to him being able to shoot people again.
Do us a favor and don't watch any of the Death Wish movies. Don't need you having a heart attack now.

Nymphae

Banned
Fun fact I recently learned about the ending scene - spoilers here obviously - when Rickman falls off the building, he was falling backwards about 25 feet onto a balloon thingy. The crew cruelly decided to release him on 1 instead of 3 to get a more genuinely frightened reaction, and it worked quite well.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Do us a favor and don't watch any of the Death Wish movies. Don't need you having a heart attack now.
I wasn't saying it was bad, it just struck me for the first time watching it the other night.

I watched it on television again tonight, and it never gets old. Great setting, great cinematography, vulnerable protagonist, great attention to detail, likable characters - including the antagonists, realistic action in which they are not mere "cannon fodder", and many funny moments.

Perfect 10/10. Without a doubt one of the very best films of the 1980s.

Last edited:

SantaC

I watched it on television again tonight, and it never gets old. Great setting, great cinematography, vulnerable protagonist, great attention to detail, likable characters - including the antagonists, realistic action in which they are not mere "cannon fodder", and many funny moments.

Perfect 10/10. Without a doubt one of the very best films of the 1980s.
Snape is really good.

Top Bottom