• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the game press forgot to test Remote Play and PS Now on PS5?

yurinka

Gaf, I have these questions for you:
-Did you find any article posting impressions about Remote Play or PS Now on PS5?
-Did Sony posted public info about it?

To the ones who already have a PS5 and played Remote Play or PS Now on it:
-What are your impressons?
-Do PS Now and Remote Play perform better in PS5 than in PS4(specially interested on vs base PS4)?
-Can you Remote Play PS5 games on a PS Vita?

I mean, PS5 features:
-Wifi 6 (2.4GHz+5GHz 802.11ax), which is way faster and has less latency than wifi 5 (2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac, PS4 Slim/Pro and Series X) and (2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n, base PS4).
-Bluetooth 5.1, which is way faster and has less latency than Bluetooth v2.1 (base PS4), Bluetooth v4.0 (PS4 Pro/Slim) and Wireless.
-USB 3.2 gen 2, which is way faster and has less latency than USB 3.1 gen 1 (PS4 and Series X).

With all these things, I assume Remote Play should work way better than in PS4 -specially in a base PS4- specially when streaming to smartphones, tablets or PCs that support wifi 6 and whatever they use to connect the DualSense (Bluetooth 5.1 or USB 3.2 gen 2). Is it the case? The media doesn't seem to have made comparisions or tests, or at least I didn't find it. Same goes with Sony, they don't have any video or PS Blog post talking about it.

Same goes with PS Now, I didn't find reports of how it does work on PS5. DualSense should have less latency so less input lag in the console due to these BT or USB so less input lag, and playing it via wifi (probably wired too) now should be way better specially considering the crazy PSN speeds on PS5 compared to PS4. And this is without considering possible PS5 specific PS Now improvements they may have implemented for launch, because in the past they mentioned plans to improve it in the future for the next gen. But again, I didn't find anything in the gaming press or in Sony's videos or blog posts talking about PS Now on PS5.

Last edited:

Nakasan

Yeah, I'm real interested in the PS5 to PS4 remote play feature. As long as "it works" my assumption is the performance of it relies more on local network conditions but I still want to know! I'll be testing it on Friday once I get my unit but, ya know, I wanna know now!!! 😭

Zadom

I played PS Now and my impression is that it looked to play better to me. It’s been a couple of months since I played PS Now on PS 4 but it looked like the game was higher resolution to me. And played well with no buffering but I rarely got buffering on PS 4.

By the way the game i tried last night was Kingdom Come Deliverance. I downloaded it after and looked very similar. When I played Control on PS Now on PS 4 then downloaded there was a pretty big difference.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Remote play between PS4 and PS5 seems kinda useless. Is there some novel feature that makes it compelling other than being able to stream from one console to another console?

There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to PSNow. That's why nobody is talking about PSNow.

Skyfox

I'm still waiting on my ps5 but this is a good thread. I enjoyed 1080p remote play on my vita from my pro. Hopefully I havent lost that.

For my part, I have tested remote play on my series X and it works very well.

RPSleon

PS Now is an incredible feature and is the kinda thing that can win a generation and should never be counted out and should be favored given the amount of emotion given to streaming services these days, you just never see it mentioned.
I feel like sometimes sony is one of those bands that has great material, but thinks its enough to just upload it to the internet and hope it does well.

I feel like sometimes sony is one of those bands that has great material, but thinks its enough to just upload it to the internet and hope it does well.

Say what you want about Americans they are masterclass showmen and marketeers. When they have a new product they'll let everyone know about it and think its the best thing ever.
Even here on neogaf everyone thinks GamePass is unique.

Onironauta

Sorry to disappoint you OP, but Sony is not supporting PS5 remote play to Vita. That would require creating a new PS5 remote play app or updating the current app, but Vita is dead to them.

I doubt Vita would work with PS5 since they would have to create a Vita app for it.

However remote playing your PS4, which then remote plays your PS5... 🤔

You can't use the PS5 remote play app on PS4 while remote playing from Vita/another device, i tried.
The only possible to play PS5 on Vita would be streaming PS5 to PC, and then using Moonlight with CFw to stream PC to Vita.
But i hope someone will develop an unofficial PS5 client for Vita.

wazhouss

Neo Member
I also have been searching for Remote Play reviews, but can't find any. I'm wondering if the input lag decreased significantly on PS5, I recall it being more than 50 ms over local network due to PS4 slow encoding capabilities.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

What I'm interested in is if they have improved streaming quality and bitrates. Streaming incurs a performance penalty on my PC when streaming to my Nvidia Shield so I'm guessing this is the reason why the xbox one and PS4 don't exactly look as good when streamed (to not take up too many resources?). I'm hoping it just looks better on the new consoles

Remote play between PS4 and PS5 seems kinda useless. Is there some novel feature that makes it compelling other than being able to stream from one console to another console?

There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to PSNow. That's why nobody is talking about PSNow.

It's probably for people with big houses who can move their old ps4 into other places in house and stream from main console to their bedroom for example.

Even if it's barely used it's still major win for Sony if they prevent people from dumping their own consoles onto used market.

elco

I tested remote play from my ps4 to ps5. It connected, and when I went to disconnect, it asked if I wanted to power off the ps5 or leave it running. I chose to leave it running, and when I flipped back to the ps5 input, I lost video output. Rebooting the ps5 didn't work. If the ps4 wasn't able to still remote in, I'd have thought it was bricked.

Only solution I found was to plug into a new TV, with different resolution, I suppose forcing the ps5 to reconfigure it's output settings or something.

Shmunter

For some reason connecting to PS5 remote I need to do it twice for it to stick.

Edit : remote play on ps5 is buggy for connecting.

Multiple times to connect. First time attempting connection PS5 powers up, but powers down again. Seemingly it even sometimes turns on the tv via HDMICEC which it should not if remoting.

2 Playstation 5;s in the house, same behavior on both.

Last edited:
There was news that we had one final embargo on the 11th of November, a few youtubers mentioned there’s more to say but they can’t say eveyrhing yet, this was on the 6th or so when they were allowed to talk/show Spider-Man MM etc.

did we ever get anything after that?

yurinka

Sorry to disappoint you OP, but Sony is not supporting PS5 remote play to Vita. That would require creating a new PS5 remote play app or updating the current app, but Vita is dead to them.
I thought it would work like with the PS4 :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
No one cares about PS Now. Not even Sony.

I can’t help but agree with this.

PS Now simply isn’t a value proposition for me. If Sony would bundle Plus and Now together for what would be their version of gamepass then that would be most welcome.
But Sony have never indicated as such, and therefore it still remains too expensive for me to consider. In the day of subscription based services, the list is ever growing and I’ll be damned if I’m paying out for 20+ individual subscriptions every month.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Now would be insta awesome if they were PS3 enhanced games, like Xbox offers enhanced experiences of their 360 classics. As it stands its trash. low resolution PS3 streaming, yeah no. Actual PS3 is already awful nowadays. I tried Infamous 2, looks dirty. I would play an enhanced version straight away though.

The downloadables are either old PS4 games, and about 10 PS2 games. Sony sits on a huge ass library of PS1 and PS2 games but no, nothing.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

I assume there will be no official way to stream to the Vita.
The quality would suffer and the lag would be to high compared to other devices, because the Vita only has a 2.4 GHz Wifi

So ps5 remote play quality is better than base ps4 which is to be expected as thst was limited to 720p. Biggest issue is the dualsense cannot connect to mobile devices at this point for remote play. Pressing of buttons or any movement of sticks does nothing while in remote play. Dualshock 4 is the only solution atm unless you are on pc or mac app.

-Wifi 6 (2.4GHz+5GHz 802.11ax), which is way faster and has less latency than wifi 5 (2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac, PS4 Slim/Pro and Series X) and (2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n, base PS4).
-Bluetooth 5.1, which is way faster and has less latency than Bluetooth v2.1 (base PS4), Bluetooth v4.0 (PS4 Pro/Slim) and Wireless.
-USB 3.2 gen 2, which is way faster and has less latency than USB 3.1 gen 1 (PS4 and Series X).

With all these things, I assume Remote Play should work way better than in PS4 -specially in a base PS4- specially when streaming to smartphones, tablets or PCs that support wifi 6 and whatever they use to connect the DualSense (Bluetooth 5.1 or USB 3.2 gen 2). Is it the case? The media doesn't seem to have made comparisions or tests, or at least I didn't find it. Same goes with Sony, they don't have any video or PS Blog post talking about it.

Wifi 6 PR claims about less latency is marketing fluff.

smallnetbuilder who is one of the best wireless analysis sites looked at wifi 6 latency claims and tested them he found while on paper there is a technical reduction in lag in practical usage it had zero improvement. You also have to have very specific routers and hardware configured precisely to see these dubious benefits.

All the other equipment your streaming to still has all the same limitations of their internet connection and wireless radios.

The lower latency on bluetooth is actually decent but has little relevance to PS Now given the limited platforms it supports PC/PS4/Vita were a PS controller does not need to use bluetooth.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I saw someone playing remotely and it worked with little lag they said
PSN should work better because the PS5 accepts higher bandwidths.

Last edited:

yurinka

Wifi 6 PR claims about less latency is marketing fluff.

smallnetbuilder who is one of the best wireless analysis sites looked at wifi 6 latency claims and tested them he found while on paper there is a technical reduction in lag in practical usage it had zero improvement. You also have to have very specific routers and hardware configured precisely to see these dubious benefits.

All the other equipment your streaming to still has all the same limitations of their internet connection and wireless radios.

The lower latency on bluetooth is actually decent but has little relevance to PS Now given the limited platforms it supports PC/PS4/Vita were a PS controller does not need to use bluetooth.
There are several proper analysis from different trusted sources like Intel mentioning an improvement of around 75% in latency comparing wifi 6 to wifi 5. Something is wrong or false in his analysis if he doesn't sees any improvement. Edit: I saw he was testing wifi routers more than wifi devices. In some cases were early wifi 6 routers from last year that still didn't support the full wifi 6 specifications/protocols/etc, and in other cases for some reasons he seems to disable stuff. Wifi 6 routers started last to be released last year, so maybe we'll need some extra time to see their full potential unleashed. Maybe until then we'll have to rely more on what they already provide, or direct wifi 6 device to wifi 6 device connections (let's say PS5 to iphone 12 connection) to get proper results.

Other than that, latency or speed in wifi 6 and in any other wired (including RJ45 cable LAN) or wireless connection varies depending on the connected devices, distances between them, the router if the test is made through it instead of directly, number of connected devices to the network, interferences, in case of wifi the number/type/width/etc of objects between the connected devices and so on and other.

All latency cuts and speed increases are relevant for PS Now or Remote Play, because they need to cut input delay. Doesn't matter if they are from the wired or wireless LAN connection, or from the servers, or from the USB or BT that the pad uses, or from the console/or other decompressing stuff and so on: combining some milliseconds reduction from here, some milliseconds reductions from there, they may result on reducing the input delay in a certain number of frames.

The wifi difference between base PS4 and PS4 Pro (2.4GHz vs 5.0GHz, wifi 4 vs wifi 5) was so big in terms of stability, speed, etc. The jump from base PS4 to PS5 must be insane.

Last edited:

Banned
should be just as terrible as it was before.

the lag of PSnow and PS remote play is 100% an issue of their streaming codecs/software

you quite literally can't get it below 100ms of lag, not even in the absolute best of conditions.
(best conditions being remote play from a PS4 to a PC, both hooked up through a wired connection to the same router with every other device disconnected)

for comparison, Google Stadia has about 40ms to 50ms lag, Steam Remote play is below 40ms, GeForce Now is also around 40ms and Microsoft's remote play is 50ms.

there's definitely something up with whatever they bought from Gaikai, and it seems they never upgraded it in any way.

Last edited:

yurinka

should be just as terrible as it was before.

the lag of PSnow and PS remote play is 100% an issue of their streaming codecs/software

you quite literally can't get it below 100ms of lag, not even in the absolute best of conditions.
(best conditions being remote play from a PS4 to a PC, both hooked up through a wired connection to the same router with every other device disconnected)

for comparison, Google Stadia has about 40ms to 50ms lag, Steam Remote play is below 40ms, GeForce Now is also around 40ms and Microsoft's remote play is 50ms.

there's definitely something up with whatever they bought from Gaikai, and it seems they never upgraded it in any way.
Remote Play has nothing to do with PS Now or Gaikai.

Base PS4 had wifi 4 and Bluetooth 2.1, and USB 3.1 gen 1. PS5 has wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 and USB 3.2 gen.

So even in the case they didn't improve anything for PS5 in the Remote Play app/codec/etc side there must be a clear improvement connecting wifi directly (not via router because it would affect the router here too and in that case we'd need a wifi 6 router to get the maximum performance), let's say to a smartphone.

And both playing via wifi or wired, there should be an improvement from the controller connected via bluetooth or usb (if the device supports 5.1 or 3.2 gen 2 to get the maximum performance).

Regarding PS Now, we know the overall speed of PSN skyrocketed on PS5, so it's fair to think it also should affect PS Now. Btw, PS Now was improved to support 60 fps, new devices and PS4 games streaming and download. In an investor relations meeting they mentioned a year ago, that as part of their medium term next gen goals, they planned to increase PS Now to support '1080p and beyond'. One of the reasons of why ask it is to know if they have it for PS5 launch.

What is the source for these numbers?

Last edited:
Top Bottom