• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did that moron from EDGE Magazine ever release the preview/review for Death Stranding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saruhashi

Banned
If your job is reviewing games and you are unable to do that I dont see why you even have your job. Why not go flip burgers or something?

people like him are the reason the industry sucks

You would think that for such a huge release too that he would be given the full week to play and review the game.
So you set yourself up at home and play a few hours a day, write your review and then get your paycheck.

There's nothing about the game that makes it unplayable. Certainly nothing that makes it unplayable if you are also getting paid to play.

It's like you could play the game for 40 hours and review it, take your money and move onto the next game.
OR you could tank your own credibility and the credibility of the publication you work for.

The standard of gaming journalism is fucking shocking.

PocoJoe

Banned
So much Salt. Wow. Did he personally attack you or something?
Get a Life dude. No reason to be so butthurt. Seriously.

death stranding is boring as fuck. If the name hideo wouldn’t be there, people wouldn’t give a shit about this „game“ or delivery guy simulator.

Same could be said about mario/zelda games.(but death stranding is still cool because it is so different)

Replace them but otherwise identical game = reviews would lose 1-3 points as they are always higher than they deserve.

And shitty mario Odyssey, the most over rated game of last decade should get 1/10 and burned in a bonfire

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think it was unproffessional by the guy, especially from such a well respected mag.
I think the guy honestly didnt like the game, didnt get the game, but because of the situation surrounding the game (mainly being from gaming darling Kojima), he knew the 'praise' and overrating the game would get, and that made the guy salty as fuck.

Reminder of the logic you're dealing with here.
USBqTg8.png
Because you're new here, I'll let this slide.

But if you think you'll climb your way up the GAF ladder, so to speak, on my expense, then you should think twice.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure where the 'other editor' comments are coming from. Nathan Brown is still Edge editor, a different reviewer (who they never name anyway) probably reviewed it.

Handel

Same could be said about mario/zelda games.(but death stranding is still cool because it is so different)

Replace them but otherwise identical game = reviews would lose 1-3 points as they are always higher than they deserve.

And shitty mario Odyssey, the most over rated game of last decade should get 1/10 and burned in a bonfire
The Sony edgelord fanboy is strong in this one. Tell me your thoughts on the Gamecube🔎

NAI1210

Always preferred Games(TM) Edge has always been up its own arse, unfortunately Games is no more and future publishing automatically started sending me Edge after Games magazine came to an end I really need to end my subscription I have the last 4, issues still in the plastic 🙄,

Psykodad

Banned
You would think that for such a huge release too that he would be given the full week to play and review the game.
So you set yourself up at home and play a few hours a day, write your review and then get your paycheck.

There's nothing about the game that makes it unplayable. Certainly nothing that makes it unplayable if you are also getting paid to play.

It's like you could play the game for 40 hours and review it, take your money and move onto the next game.
OR you could tank your own credibility and the credibility of the publication you work for.

Reviewers had 3 weeks or something to play the game.

tassletine

Given that there was a time constraint on the review, and that you had to finish the game before review, I can see the issue.

Edge do pretty in depth coverage and a game like DStranding, if it was rushed through, would most certainly tie you up in knots and cause problems. You easily get into a place where it was unbearable and it may well have been impossible if you had a deadline to meet.

Also, given that most reviewers readily admit they don’t finish games, I don’t really see the issue. Not in terms of being this angry anyway. I had more of a problem with their W101 review — In that they said that the controls were broken (they weren’t).

#Phonepunk#

Banned

compare his job to any other job. how about a cashier, standing in one spot, repeating the same actions over and over for 8 hours, having to keep up a good social appearance with random strangers all day long. that is a demanding physical and mental sacrifice. how about working at a grill? you burn yourself every so often, you have to stand in front of a hot grill all day constantly cooking, and when there's a rush, you are trapped in the heat. there are a million other jobs that require physical and mental labor. it goes with the territory of having a job in the first place.

with his job this guy can play games whenever he wants, sitting on his ass in his living room. he can spend 16 hours of the day sleeping or watching movies or doing whatever the hell and still get in a full day's work of 8 hours. it's the most entitled thing in the world for this grown man to be unable to perform the job he was hired for.

Last edited:

Handel

He has every right not to do his job?

I mean, sure, from a universal perspective I guess that's true. But professionally? Not the best idea.
His job isn't to review every game, just like a movie reviewers job isn't to review every movie. Professionally, in his profession, it's more professional to not do a review if you don't think it will be one worthy of your audience. In other mediums versions of his profession, you can walk out on a work and still review it, as Roger Ebert did on multiple occasions. In this medium, publishers have reviewers by the balls and restrict negative review scores by mandating that those who hate it go through the entire 40+ hour game to review it. Really in such a case, with those restrictions, not reviewing it is the best review you can offer to your audience : it's so bad I can't bring myself to slog through it.

Carna

Banned
Death Stranding is a divisive game. You don't need to worry about 1 person not liking it.
The last thing Kojima needs to worry about is making games for critics when what he needs to I make games for himself, he's a cool visionary. Let him make his weird ps1-on-ps5 like experiments.

SweetShark

His job isn't to review every game, just like a movie reviewers job isn't to review every movie. Professionally, in his profession, it's more professional to not do a review if you don't think it will be one worthy of your audience. In other mediums versions of his profession, you can walk out on a work and still review it, as Roger Ebert did on multiple occasions. In this medium, publishers have reviewers by the balls and restrict negative review scores by mandating that those who hate it go through the entire 40+ hour game to review it. Really in such a case, with those restrictions, not reviewing it is the best review you can offer to your audience : it's so bad I can't bring myself to slog through it.

Wouldn't be more simpler for the reviewer to just express his/her opinion without being a review?
I think something similar doing Destructoid when the game is just too long.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Jesus, so many of these comments are eye rolling. But that doesn't surprise me as for whatever reason "Death Stranding" causes so many folks here to just uncontrollably spew absolute anus text because they didn't like it or care for it. I mean, good for y'all?

I personally loved it, but I wouldn't force my opinion upon anyone else. But, I dunno, for people that share other views than mine, it's easy to get the point across by saying, "It's not for me" or "I didn't really care for it". Rather than "IF YOU LOVE IT YOU'RE STUPID" and whatever other equivalent and obnoxious jargon.

That being said, the whole EDGE review debacle really did come of as unprofessional to me. Not because it wasn't reviewed, but the way he addressed the whole thing. It kind of screamed a child-like "I DUN WANNA" mentality when I read his statement. I honestly feel like if that was the approach he and they were going to take, it could've just been handled better. Him addressing it the way he did just sounded like some kind of edgy Twitter nonsense for clout or whatever the hell.

Not to mention in my eyes if you're some kind of "professional reviewer", I feel you should be able to sit and endure content and provide your conclusion. I mean, it's your job. Not doing so, to me, just seems like such a incredibly massive cop out. If I looked up to some reviewer and generally agreed with their opinions, I would be kind of taken back to see them just say, "NUH UH, NOT GONNA DO IT". Because it just feels like they've given up.

I mean, I'd feel the same way if I was watching a tournament and someone getting wrecked just got up and walked away mid-match.

Death Stranding is 50 hours long. If he thinks it's a god awful PoS and he tells his boss, then his boss probably thought his time could be better spent reviewing other games, or what have you, that might bring in more clicks to their site, rather than this single review. 50 hours is 6 1/2 days work.

Ps plenty of projects have been cancelled because they are not cost effective - as time = money.
Oh please it has nothing to do with it not being cost-effective, it has to do with the reviewer refusing to finish what he started. Reviews are what bring in the clicks, and to say a review for one of the most highly anticipated games of the year wasn't cost-effective is laughable. He probably already put 20-30 hours into the game, but finishing the last half wasn't cost-effective lol.

Handel

Oh please it has nothing to do with it not being cost-effective, it has to do with the reviewer refusing to finish what he started. Reviews are what bring in the clicks, and to say a review for one of the most highly anticipated games of the year wasn't cost-effective is laughable. He probably already put 20-30 hours into the game, but finishing the last half wasn't cost-effective lol.
What clicks? It's a magazine, with a long standing readership that is used to getting reviews late because of when the magazine prints. Not reviewing a single game is generally not going to impact their readership, reviewing a game later than usual even less.

Edge isn't beholden to the demands of the unwashed masses:messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Looks like after all his hate-talk, even SolidRev came around once he actually played the game.
(I know he is a controversial character but this is not about him but changing attitudes to the game and playing VS judging before playing)

What clicks? It's a magazine, with a long standing readership that is used to getting reviews late because of when the magazine prints. Not reviewing a single game is generally not going to impact that, reviewing a game later than usual even less.

Edge isn't beholden to the demands of the unwashed masses:messenger_face_steam:
So in other words the review has to be ready before the magazine prints so there's still a deadline...

Saruhashi

Banned
compare his job to any other job. how about a cashier, standing in one spot, repeating the same actions over and over for 8 hours, having to keep up a good social appearance with random strangers all day long. that is a demanding physical and mental sacrifice. how about working at a grill? you burn yourself every so often, you have to stand in front of a hot grill all day constantly cooking, and when there's a rush, you are trapped in the heat. there are a million other jobs that require physical and mental labor. it goes with the territory of having a job in the first place.

with his job this guy can play games whenever he wants, sitting on his ass in his living room. he can spend 16 hours of the day sleeping or watching movies or doing whatever the hell and still get in a full day's work of 8 hours. it's the most entitled thing in the world for this grown man to be unable to perform the job he was hired for.

Totally agree mate but some here seem to think it's just some guy not wanting to review a game.

Handel

So in other words the review has to be ready before the magazine prints so there's still a deadline...
Depending on when they get their review copy and get to finishing the game, it may not come out until an issue or two after the next issues release date. Any deadline would be internally mandated, but it's hardly the same race to be first to get them clicks that other sites deal with. They can give their reviewers time to complete the game to their hearts content, and the magazines reputation for excellence coincides with this.

If he didn't like it he didn't want to slog through it for hours upon hours but the terms dictated he must!!Plus the mag had a few pages of DS adverts per magazine for a good few months now so perhaps money does talk (and in this case it clearly did) as they hated the game but gave it a 6. Not played it but I will at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom