• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony Just Pull A SEGA?

Did Sony go back on their word with the surprise stealth pre-order openings?

• Yes

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • What year is this?

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ps5.png

A while ago I asked if Microsoft pulled a "SEGA Saturn" the less-than-stellar Halo Infinite presentation back in July (being it was first confirmed gameplay running on a Series X (well, a mid-tier devkit actually, apparently)), and after yesterday's pre-order surprise, I have to ask if Sony, similarly, pulled their own SEGA Saturn moment?

jesus-with-child.jpg

Now listen, ye, for I hath a tale of olden to speaketh...

If you don't know what I'm referring to, back at the first (and legendary) E3 of 1995, SEGA surprised everyone by saying the Saturn was already in stores. Well, four stores (chains) to be exact. This surprised not only the press and gamers, but also retailers who didn't get in on the early cut of Saturn units, including chains like KB Toys and Walmart. Such caused some of these chains, like the aforementioned KB Toys, to refuse to carry Saturns outright, making shelf space for Sony's PlayStation instead. And not surprisingly, this damaged the brand chain relations SEGA of America had built up with several retailers during the Genesis days.

102674790p-03-03.jpg

Fantastic console. HORRIBLE surprise launch. They did it 25 years too early, apparently ;)

We're hearing reports now that the pre-orders going live for PS5 was a shock to several store managers at chains such as Gamestop, who were literally caught by complete surprise to launch the pre-orders. Compared with Sony seemingly going back on their word to gamers from a couple months ago that they'd give ample time to announce when pre-orders would go up (to the sane among us, we'd probably figure them giving a future date at another event, such as yesterday's show, so that people could get ready to place in pre-orders maybe several days later), and it feels a bit like something analogous to that surprise SEGA Saturn stealth launch back in May 1995, doesn't it?

Granted, I have to admit that I'm one of those guys who feels SEGA's surprise launch would've worked in modern-era thanks to social media...so long as the amount of supply would've met demand. Maybe Sony decided to see if they could make it work...it would've, IMHO, if they had the supply. But they are very obviously supply-strained at the moment, from the numbers we're getting from some of these retailers :S

Certainly, I know there's a lot of people here who were probably def looking forward to pre-ordering their PS5, and would've absolutely preferred a warning for a day they could absolutely look forward to in order to set aside and place their orders in, something Microsoft seems to be doing for the Series platforms. But I'm just curious how other see it. Am I crazy and (yet again) looking too hard into the past to draw correlations (as some say), or am I in the right in seeing eerie elements of the past manifest in modern-day proceedings? Do you agree or disagree? Sound off!

.Pennywise

Banned
The only thing they pulled is more money from stupid people pockets by rising their game costs by 10 bucks (15 to 20 in Europe, really WTF!?).
While their competition gives all their 1st party plus more than 150 games on a 10/month subscription.

And fanboys will find excuses and justifications up of their asses to pay papa Sony what they ask for 😂

SegaShack

You're really comparing preorders to a surprise product release that was actually on store shelves? No one cares about "when preorders went live" after the system is out.

N30RYU

The only thing they pulled is more money from stupid people pockets by rising their game costs by 10 bucks (15 to 20 in Europe, really WTF!?).
While their competition gives all their 1st party plus more than 150 games on a 10/month subscription.

And fanboys will find excuses and justifications up of their asses to pay papa Sony what they ask for 😂
glad to give them money if it keeps you out

reinking

Gold Member
was a shock to several store managers at chains such as Gamestop, who were literally caught by complete surprise to launch the pre-orders.

LOL. I used to manage a EB Games that eventually became a Gamestop. That was Gamestop executive management that surprised them. Sony's official announcement was that preorders would start the following day. It was retailers how chose to open them up earlier than that. Funny thing, they already had their allocated number of units and they would have sold out anyway.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
ps5.png

A while ago I asked if Microsoft pulled a "SEGA Saturn" the less-than-stellar Halo Infinite presentation back in July (being it was first confirmed gameplay running on a Series X (well, a mid-tier devkit actually, apparently)), and after yesterday's pre-order surprise, I have to ask if Sony, similarly, pulled their own SEGA Saturn moment?

jesus-with-child.jpg

Now listen, ye, for I hath a tale of olden to speaketh...

If you don't know what I'm referring to, back at the first (and legendary) E3 of 1995, SEGA surprised everyone by saying the Saturn was already in stores. Well, four stores (chains) to be exact. This surprised not only the press and gamers, but also retailers who didn't get in on the early cut of Saturn units, including chains like KB Toys and Walmart. Such caused some of these chains, like the aforementioned KB Toys, to refuse to carry Saturns outright, making shelf space for Sony's PlayStation instead. And not surprisingly, this damaged the brand chain relations SEGA of America had built up with several retailers during the Genesis days.

102674790p-03-03.jpg

Fantastic console. HORRIBLE surprise launch. They did it 25 years too early, apparently ;)

We're hearing reports now that the pre-orders going live for PS5 was a shock to several store managers at chains such as Gamestop, who were literally caught by complete surprise to launch the pre-orders. Compared with Sony seemingly going back on their word to gamers from a couple months ago that they'd give ample time to announce when pre-orders would go up (to the sane among us, we'd probably figure them giving a future date at another event, such as yesterday's show, so that people could get ready to place in pre-orders maybe several days later), and it feels a bit like something analogous to that surprise SEGA Saturn stealth launch back in May 1995, doesn't it?

Granted, I have to admit that I'm one of those guys who feels SEGA's surprise launch would've worked in modern-era thanks to social media...so long as the amount of supply would've met demand. Maybe Sony decided to see if they could make it work...it would've, IMHO, if they had the supply. But they are very obviously supply-strained at the moment, from the numbers we're getting from some of these retailers :S

Certainly, I know there's a lot of people here who were probably def looking forward to pre-ordering their PS5, and would've absolutely preferred a warning for a day they could absolutely look forward to in order to set aside and place their orders in, something Microsoft seems to be doing for the Series platforms. But I'm just curious how other see it. Am I crazy and (yet again) looking too hard into the past to draw correlations (as some say), or am I in the right in seeing eerie elements of the past manifest in modern-day proceedings? Do you agree or disagree? Sound off!

If you think any retailer will refuse to carry the PS5 because of an insignificant grudge, you're more delusional than your delirious wall of text indicates. 😂

Abriael_GN Abriael_GN When did I say that would happen? I just said what happened with the SEGA Saturn. You did a Micheal Jordan full court-sized leap :LOL:

You're really comparing preorders to a surprise product release that was actually on store shelves? No one cares about "when preorders went live" after the system is out.

People care right now though and that's what matters at current. No telling how some of them will feel once the system releases.

I wish SEGA would pull a sony and make a console.

Do the MegaDrive Mini and Astro City Mini count?

I'd love a new main SEGA console tbh

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy talk. People will buy next gen consoles because it is new and they can't help themselves. Plus they prob have disposable income to do so. Saturn was extremely expensive for its time and Sega butchered the launch this isn't even comparable.

Sweep14

I preordered mine this morning and the retailer (French brick & mortar franchise) new since tuesday afternoon that preorders would open today

_Spr_Drnk

Banned

Talking of fanboys, here's one in the wild.

Happy to pay for quality, now keep your mouth open wide while Phil keeps shovelling shit down it. Mmmm. So cheap it almost tastes good!

🙄

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Some people like to own games and play good 1st party esclusive games..... ( Forza Horizon is pretty awesome though )

chonga

Well I dunno about a Sega Saturn but you are talking out of Uranus I know that.

We never had these announcements of dates before. We just got a price and we kept checking back with our retailers to see what the deal was. The same shit happened last time. Some retailers put it live a 10am, some did later, some took ages to get their shit together. It is just how it has always been.

The only reason you're wanting a cast iron date is because Microsoft have decided to do that. And why you would wait weeks before opening the books is beyond me.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It would have been nice if Microsoft launched their pre-orders yesterday in the AM.
I am sure it will be a busy e-com day on the 22nd....but will I have issues getting a pre-order to go through? We will see......

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Two very different things

Also, back in the day internet was not really a thing, so no pre-orders or searching for more stores and stuff...

Top Bottom