• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did MTV ever really need music videos?

Jubenhimer

MTV, one of the most iconic (For both better and worse) networks in all of television, was built on a unique premise. Take the concept of a radio, and adapt it to the medium of television, creating a channel that played non-stop music videos 24/7. MTV's Target audience was viewers aged 12 to 34, an undeserved audience on television, especially in the 80s, where most shows targeted either older adults or younger children. MTV stuck to its Music Video-only format for most of the 80s, and had a lot of success doing so. Eventually expanding on the formula by doing interviews and themed countdowns with the artists they featured. It was the YouTube, iTunes, AND Spotify of its time.

But after a while, the novelty of an all music-video channel began to wear off. Utilizing an already large viewer base and cable carriage, MTV diversified its programming a bit starting in the 90s, to offer general music themed shows, and non-music related series, in addition to regular Music Video blocks that would appeal to its young 12-34 year old target demo. The 90s was where some of MTV's most recognizable, and arguably best non-music shows arrived. Bevis & Butt-head, AEon Flux, Liquid Television, The Real World, Daria, Celebrity Deathmatch among others, on top of traditional music videos.

The 90s was a weird period because, even though MTV was deviating from its original Visual Radio concept, many of the channel's most well known series came out of this era. MTV evolved from its All-Music Video format, becoming more of a Nickelodeon for Teens with a Music slant, and did a rather successful job at it. Of course, this would accelerate by the time of the new millennium. Music Videos, which once still made up the bulk of the network's programming, began being banished to overnight and early morning hours, or on TRL. More non-music programming began coming in, all focused on Reality Television such as Jackass, Punk'd, Pimp My Ride, My Super Sweet 16, and MADE. By the next decade, MTV dropped its official subtitle, "Music Television", in favor of just "MTV", seeing as it wasn't much of a music channel anymore, that by-line no longer had any meaning.

So, It's clear that even when MTV began pulling back on Music Videos, they still recievied popularity and acclaim for its non-music programming. I think the thing that frustrates people about MTV is not that they don't air music anymore (like it or not, this was inevitable), but the fact that they haven't replaced it with anything good. MTV has shown they're more than capable of producing decent shows, great shows even. But most of the time, they choose not to, and that's the sad part. So long as the Assholes on Jersey Shore and Catfish get views, they don't need to put effort into their original series. I know most of their audience was Teenagers and College Kids, but that doesn't they should just eat up whatever garbage you throw at them. So to answer the question. IMO, At the time, Music Videos needed MTV, it was the only network available to get them to a desirable mainstream audience. But MTV, especially in later years, didn't need music videos. Other, better formats began popping up, and MTV was smart enough to realize that 24/7 videos wouldn't be a viable long-term format. So they branched out as early as they could to ensure the channel had a long-term future once the internet became a thing.

That said, I think if they kept the format they had in the 90s for the 2000s, keep a predominantly music focus, but also show some cartoons and quality other stuff for prime-time, then they probably wouldn't have the infamous "Vapid Reality Show Network" reputation they have now.

greyshark

Their shift to reality was a matter of survival for them. Ratings were tanking across the board until they stumbled onto The Real World. At that point they could embrace this new audience or die.

I used to watch MTV in the early 2000s, a large part of music videos from rock bands were awesome. They allowed artists to get creative with visuals, though I remember Frank Zappa being against the format.

Aside from that, MTV’s greatest gift was the Unplugged series. I just listened to Nirvana and Pearl Jam yesterday.

Also do you remember shows like Room Raiders and Dismissed? These were cringey.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I loved stuff like Sifl and Ollie and Beavis and Butthead. Never really cared for the reality show crap. That’s when I stopped watching it altogether and switched to MTV2 or The Box (both of which maintained priority of music videos into the early 2000s).

MTV never would have gotten big without the music videos in the first place. But yeah that hasn’t been the focus in over two decades at this point.

I would say that YouTube makes them entirely irrelevant just sheer amount of musical content alone.

SegaShack

As much as I don't like MTV, I greatly respect them for switching back their old format and showing music videos only for 2 days straight after Michael Jackson died.

lock2k

Banned
This video sums up the MTV history pretty well.

MTV was my jam back in the day. I saw the late 80's and early 90's, the rise and fall of grunge, the alternative scene, Beavis & Butt Head and Liquid Television, Headbangers Ball. It had a lot of great stuff. I still get chills whenever I listen to the week in rock jingle. Watching Kurt Loder giving the news was awesome. I really miss the aesthetic they had going on with MTV.

Kenpachii

They where really great when i was a teen i guess, but later on with garbo shows like jersey shore i bailed harder then lightning on it. Also no more music video's kinda made it meh.

I liked jackass / bam show / beavis butthead / stuff like that alot too.

We also had a dutch variant of it which had a bit more better content that was more classy then what mtv started to become like a dude would just sleep over at random people's places to see what their lives where.

Jubenhimer

MTV never would have gotten big without the music videos in the first place. But yeah that hasn’t been the focus in over two decades at this point.
While I still stand by the fact that MTV should not have abandoned music all together, I still think that them evolving into being more than just a music channel was probably for the better, especially if they wanted to stay relevant as a channel. So whatever your opinions on the 2000s and early 2010s era of the channel are, it at least bought the network another decade or so of relevancy (however good or bad) before its audience completely moved on to the internet.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Music videos were still extremely popular in the 90s, maybe too popular - by the end of the decade you had music artists flying on helicopters and dodging explosions and shit. A-list directors were involved and they were insanely expensive to make and even considered as much “art” as the music. It worked because they sold so many discs and it was great promotion. But like everything else in music, Napster killed it.

MTV’s forays into TV worked because they targeted the same demo as the people watching the music. They also introduced MTV2 in the mid 90s to give people nonstop music when they didn’t want to watch Real World or whatever.

But when the music industry flatlined in the early 2000s they leaned more on the tv shows and personalities (TRL) since people didn’t care about the music videos and the money to stage a war movie over a nu metal song wasn’t there.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

MTV’s forays into TV worked because they targeted the same demo as the people watching the music. They also introduced MTV2 in the mid 90s to give people nonstop music when they didn’t want to watch Real World or whatever.

But when the music industry flatlined in the early 2000s they leaned more on the tv shows and personalities (TRL) since people didn’t care about the music videos and the money to stage a war movie over a nu metal song wasn’t there.

To expand on this point, I think that's what made MTV's initial lineup of non-music programming so unique. Much like how Nickelodeon was the first full fledged network for Kids, MTV was sort of the first full fledged network for Teenagers and Twenty-Somethings. At the time of MTV's launch, nothing on TV was really catering to this demographic specifically, even as we moved into the 90s. So when MTV started to move beyond just music, they leaned heavily on what kind of shows teens and young adults would be into. Which resulted in creations like Liquid Television, which spawned several of MTV's biggest hits of the 90s such as Bevis & Butt-Head, and AEon Flux. Singled Out, a dating show. And then there was other animation such as The Maxx and The Head, and later in the 90s, Daria and Celebrity Deathmatch. All that, on top of regular Music Video blocks.

MTV helped lay the ground work for modern Teen-oriented entertainment, and Youth Entertainment in General. But just like Nickelodeon, their iron clad grip was lost by the 2000s. MTV was no longer the only game in town when it came to shows for Teens, other networks began popping up that captured young audiences. The WB, Fuse, G4, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Disney Channel, even other Viacom Networks such as UPN and The N all catered to Teens in some fashion. MTV needed to do something to distinguish itself from the ever increasing competition, hence doubling down on reality shows, since aside from music, they were always sort of their B&B.

Last edited:

Caffeine

waking up in the late 90's in pajamas eating some capt n crunch and having music videos playing was pretty dope. the internet here was still aol slow as fuck lol. then they introduced a shit ton of reality tv and i never tuned to the channel again, plus youtube took over half a decade later.

cryptoadam

Banned
MTV changed the music biz, and in a way changed the TV biz.

Music video's killed the Radio Star and became their own thing.

Then MTV got into reality and adult cartoons. The Real world was probably the first big major hit reality show. Then you had Beavis and Butthead that opened up adult cartoons.

So as much as people like to dunk on MTV it really was an influential channel. Once the internet took hold of youth culture though it lost its importance. Now that twitter and memes set what young people think is cool MTV doesn't really have a place. Its been passed by and all it can do is try and hang onto its former glory.

MTV puts out shows similar to what you get on daytime syndicated TV. Basic petty people squabbling in front of cameras. I am not sure why you would pay for that.

Gargus

Banned
Soon as music videos stopped being their primary programming I quit watching and never went back. I grew to hate MTV as they created fake reality shows that soon took over other TV channels with their idiotic attempts at faking "reality" tv.

Now they mean less than nothing to me.

Carna

Banned
TV itself is just a waste these days, the only things I watch on tv is the dub of the current Pokemon series (even thought I could just stick to the Japanese version) The Flash (the only saving grace on tv right now for me)

Top Bottom