• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Microsoft deliberately MURDER the Sega Dreamcast by BRIBING/POUCHING Tirrd Party studios? (Kagey K, GET ITT!!!)

I will give you a first-hand account on the very likely reason why Dreamcast actually died: it was deliberately killed by Microsoft and Xbox. And why is it first hand? Back in the day, I was part of the team which developed Supreme Snowboarding 2 for dreamcast. Then Microsoft came and wanted to give our publisher "a better offer"; ditch the dreamcast and come develop Transworld license for Xbox. And the publisher and my employer took it, much to my grimace. In one GDC party, just before the launch of Xbox, some drunk Microsoft employees actually bragged to me that yes, it was their deliberate tactic to attract away all the third-party developers away from the Dreamcast, as Microsoft knew that it was the games that sold the consoles. And the rest is history. It probably does not come as news to you that even to this day, I have very little love for Xbox.

Now do with this information what you will.
iiYtdq5.png

TUROK

I'm sure all the bullshit promises Sony made about the PS2 also helped.
You can communicate to a new cybercity. This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!

Apparently Microsoft has memory loss tho.

Microsoft knew that it was the games that sold the consoles.

Last edited:

JaffeLion

Banned
Another day, another stupid anti-Xbox thread by mods favorite: MiyazakiHatesKojima.
I KNEW it was you, only you write such stupid thread title, especially this annoying: „)m(RANDOM Name GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!)“

it’s always the same: take a beyond stupid anti-Xbox hypothesis, which is so damn ridiculous and not even remotely true and the. Add (RANDOM Name GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!)“ to it and you are done.

funny how you have not been banned yet for this stupid console warrior shit.
I wonder, would you have been banned, if you wrote some anti-Sony stuff, instead off anti-Xbox stuff?

Another day, another stupid anti-Xbox thread by mods favorite: MiyazakiHatesKojima.
I KNEW it was you, only you write such stupid thread title, especially this annoying: „)m(RANDOM Name GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!)“

it’s always the same: take a beyond stupid anti-Xbox hypothesis, which is so damn ridiculous and not even remotely true and the. Add (RANDOM Name GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!)“ to it and you are done.

funny how you have not been banned yet for this stupid console warrior shit.
I wonder, would you have been banned, if you wrote some anti-Sony stuff, instead off anti-Xbox stuff?
I love you too 🤭

Sega killed the Dreamcast, this started before the Dreamcast ever launched.

Hate to be that dude but this is pretty much the truth of it. SOOO many horrible business decisions in the mid '90s, from 32X to Saturn's rushed launch to Gameworks (I mean it was lavish as hell but a financial money sink that could've been better spent on Saturn dev and Dreamcast R&D, maybe even towards DVD out of the gate) to no Sonic on Saturn to NO retail presence for over a year in the West (May '98 - Sept '99), no official Streets of Rage sequel on Saturn, killing Saturn too early in Japan for botched Dreamcast launch etc.

If anything Microsoft just saw the writing on the wall and figured they'd be better off doing hardware themselves. And they were right. Even if Xbox was new, it outsold Gamecube and sold over 2:1 the numbers of both Saturn and Dreamcast. Or to look at it another way, it outsold the Saturn and Dreamcast combined. Then there's other stuff SEGA messed up too, like failing to secure Tomb Raider as an exclusive (it was going to be exclusive until Sony swooped in and got it first) and (at least from what some have said) making the SAME mistake with GTA3 on Dreamcast (think some people said it was gonna be a Dreamcast game at first and maybe even exclusive, but SEGA passed on it), and you can just guess they weren't for long as a console maker after that many stupid decisions.

It's frustrating, too, because even in spite of all that retardation, they still made some absolute bangers of arcade games and even the 32X and SEGA CD have some great games on them (let alone their other systems like MegaDrive which have a lot of amazing games, and Saturn & Dreamcast which have tons of great games including cult gems). But the business side (particularly SEGA of Japan) royally fucked over the rest of the company and it's ultimately no one's fault but their's. Not Microsoft's. Not Nintendo's. Not Sony's. It's purely on SEGA garbage-tier business decisions from most of the '90s.

Well... Duh.

MS shat on SEGA so hard. They refused to make xbox original backwards compatable with DC. I hope SEGA never joins them, which seems to be the latest rumor with PSO2 coming to the west

And Sony's better because...? Go check out Kutaragi making Hideki Sato his bitch around the time PS1 and Saturn were coming out. It's a quote in a Jenovi video; seriously if Kutaragi were a rapper that'd be a diss track.

If anything, SEGA would be a good fit with Nintendo. Sonic's already basically like an extended universe Mario character to Nintendo fans, like the troubled stepbrother trying to kick a hard drug habit but takes two steps back for every step forward.. But even if MS got them it'd probably work out; none of these companies care about shit from two decades ago anymore. SEGA didn't even care a year after they left hardware, that's why they went 3rd party instead of, well, trying to make yet another console.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Story plays into the: Micro$oft BAD. ☹

If your business model is being held up by 'Supreme Snowboarding 2', you are probably not gonna get very far.

thelastword

Banned
as Microsoft knew that it was the games that sold the consoles. And the rest is history.
Really? I am genuinely shocked...….How?

Well... Duh.

MS shat on SEGA so hard. They refused to make xbox original backwards compatable with DC. I hope SEGA never joins them, which seems to be the latest rumor with PSO2 coming to the west
Funny enough, it was Sega who made OG XBOX imo, they got so many Sega games to round out their library…….Crazy Taxi, Sega GT, Gun Valkyrie, Sonic Mega, Phatasy Star, Super Monkey Ball, JSRF, Shenmue, Otogi, they adopted the 2k series and the list goes on and on......Sega was actually instrumental in the 30 million units Original XBOX sold.....

Still, not surprised if MS played a hard role still, but by that time Sega had already given it's hand to MS in marriage, so I guess that went along with any abuse it got from MS.....Remember Moore was in bed with XBOX from the time OG XBOX was revealed, he knew Dreamcast was dead that that point....

Aion002

But that's just how business works.... Sony, Nintendo and Sega also did that... And will keep doing that... Minus sega obviously.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
lol at this. if anyone is to blame for dc fate, is sony.

Or um... Sega.

Dreamcast was doomed from the start. Just from how Sega kept releasing consoles and quickly abandoning them. After 32X and Saturn, no one trusted them.

SEGA lost tons of money due to the Saturn, 32X and japanese branch and american was unable to work together and was making retarded decisions, also no ea third party support (though segas exclusive sports games was better) and not releasing with a DVD Player, it also did not help that PS2 was releasing with it.

OG XBOX was basically Dreamcast 2 in terms of sega games, so i have no idea what the fuck this thread is even feels like im on /v/

HarryKS

Imagine if a sprinter who finishes last in a race could blame the person who finished first for his failure. It'd be quite something eh.

FranXico

How long before this appears on Eurogamer/IGN/Polygon as a fact...
LOL they would never support this story. If where it now reads "MS" it had "Sony" then they would have absolutely made news of that the next day that post was written.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This reminds me of Arthur Gies of Polygon who HATES Sony because he blames Sony for killing the Dreamcast.

Top Bottom