• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Game Pass just save Xbox?

Topher

Gold Member
Their output has been very light.
Gamepass was the one that was keeping them on the spotlight.
Not to mention, they managed to get Japanese games thanks to gamepass.

Didn't think about the Japanese games. Good point.

Mephisto40

Again, none of this really tracks consistently when Forza Horizon 5 has no MTX, all credits are earned in-game as far as I can tell, and Gran Turismo 7 sold at full price was notoriously bad for them. GT7 isn't on PS+. It's a separate issue that MTX is becoming more and more prevalent, it was going to happen with or without Game Pass. Some games will have them, others won't.
I really hope you are prepared for the microtransactions that are going to be in starfield

"Sorry, you cannot visit this planet, please buy it in the xbox store for $4.99"

gothmog

Gold Member
I bought a Series X because of it. Without it I would have waited until there was a deep discount like I did for the Xbox One.

cireza

Banned
It only has old games
This isn't true. There are many recent games added as well. We got HiFi Rush for example, and Wo Long is coming soon. These are pretty nice games to have day-one I think. And then you have indie games as well, like Tunic.

Last edited:
I just think games are in series danger of incorporating more and more microtransactions to cover the costs of not having a steady income stream from people buying their games any more, these 'lump sum' deals they are being offered to put games on subscription services are going to have a huge impact on the quality of games that get released, imo we are already seeing it with games like Halo : Infinite, and you'd be a fool not to think them releasing it on gamepass day 1 didnt have an effect on it inside and out

There is a reason Sony's AAA games are not available on PS+ day one, and seem to be doing a lot better than Microsofts offerings
Bro, it's been almost 6 years since Gamepass launched, MS games have not turned into MTX hellscapes. Halo Infinite multiplayer is F2P for everybody, I don't understand how GP factors into that. The only part of Halo Infinite you get with GP is the campaign, which has no MTX.

Fortunes can turn pretty quickly. I see a few big hits for Xbox leveling the playing field. They have great tech and gamepass on their side, not to mention many studios that are hopefully going to produce some bangers.

They're set up for success.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Then they lay off 10k workers
some overhyped product
someone vision GIF

It's not that I hate on Xbox
Uh Huh Yes GIF

Lyrical

Banned
Fortunes can turn pretty quickly. I see a few big hits for Xbox leveling the playing field. They have great tech and gamepass on their side, not to mention many studios that are hopefully going to produce some bangers.

They're set up for success.
Fortunes unfortunately can't turn that quick when you have the level of incompetence that Xbox has shown the past few years.

Three

Again, none of this really tracks consistently when Forza Horizon 5 has no MTX, all credits are earned in-game as far as I can tell, and Gran Turismo 7 sold at full price was notoriously bad for them. GT7 isn't on PS+. It's a separate issue that MTX is becoming more and more prevalent, it was going to happen with or without Game Pass. Some games will have them, others won't.
What makes you believe FH5 had no MTXs? Not the same kind but it had it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What makes you believe FH5 had no MTXs? Not the same kind but it had it.

Like what? If you can't pay money to the people who bring you the game for small bits of content or currency that's not MTX. I didn't see anywhere to buy credits, maybe I missed it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Gamepass is a part of their business model. It is something that they use to differentiate against the competition. It did not save them, but it is a driving force behind the decisions they make. They want people to buy the box, but they care more about people subscribing to the ecosystem.

Reactions: Alx
Gamepass and being more powerful than my PC.
They better come out with a more powerful Series XLT with adaptive cruise control before I start looking at going back to PC.
I'm -this- close to ordering parts for a PC, but the stutter gate thing keeps me at bay.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Xboxers are always talking about promises.
First it was Kinect. You guys had that so overhyped and bought into so much bull crap and it turned out to be terrible from start to finish.
Dude. The only guy that was hyped about kinect was Don Mattrick.

Mephisto40

Bro, it's been almost 6 years since Gamepass launched, MS games have not turned into MTX hellscapes. Halo Infinite multiplayer is F2P for everybody, I don't understand how GP factors into that. The only part of Halo Infinite you get with GP is the campaign, which has no MTX.
Don't blame me the first time you get that prompt in StarField that says "Please enter your credit card information to land on this planet" :messenger_winking:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While the value perception is there, I wouldn't agree with a big statement like "Game Pass save Xbox" because of the data we have.
  • Gamepass accounts for only 15% of Xbox revenue. The rest of the 85% revenue comes from elsewhere.
  • Roughly, only 33% or 1/3rd of Xbox console users are subscribed to Game Pass. That means the majority (or almost 70%) are not Gamepass users.
So while the perception is there, Game Pass is not playing a very key role in the grand scheme of things. It is still very niche when you look at Xbox as a whole.

Vasto

I love Game Pass but it did not save my Xbox. Investing in 1st party is what saved it.

I aint missing games lke Starfield, Fable, Avowed, Halo, Perfect Dark, Gears, Killer Instinct, Elder Scrolls , Fallout, State Of Decay 3, Outer Worlds 2 and Hellblade II.

No other platform has games coming better then these. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Stuart360

It would be interesting if the OP addeed a poll asking how many on here bought a Series console for Gamepass, especially XSS owners.
I bet it would be higher than people think.

It will be interesting to see how much Gamepass grows in the second half of the gen when the first party games SHOULD be coming at a pretty consistent pace.

Jaybe

No. The Game Pass service helps but it it isn’t in the ‘saving’ category. A low percentage use it (~30%) and some of them were Gold subs that just converted via cheap gold conversion upgrade.

Here are some other helpful factors:
  1. The XSS is an affordable next gen console and seems to have half of Xbox’s Series sales.
  2. The XSX is ‘on paper’ the most powerful next gen console
  3. Back compatibility, free next gen upgrades, FPS boost, make it an easy upgrade choice.
  4. Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite were big holiday 2021 releases helping Xbox win that quarter
  5. They have also been helped by PS5’s challenged supply chain and being hard to find.

Last edited:

user1337

If I ever end up getting an Xbox, it will be 100% because of..and for gamepass. However, even without it Xbox would still be around.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gamepass saved the gaming industry. Without, we wouldn't have gotten this banger.

Goddamn, what is this???

Anyway, I finally did the GP 3 year trick, but Microsoft isn't allowing me to redeem the 3rd year? So it seems I have to wait for some of the months to come down before I can redeem it I guess.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Too be fair I was with the Series / Xbox platform since gamepass until I moved to PS5 but realised how much money I actually saved with GamePass with most games I wanted to play coming out day 1 etc

Been thinking of moving back with the 3 year gamepass deal as my funds are limited now, nothing beats Sony exclusives but when my friends want to play decent coop games, Gamepass has alot of them, it knocks that barrier of certain people not being able to play cause they cant afford the game

DragonNCM

I'm long time Sony fun but Microsoft got me in their eco system with gamepass & Series S console, and gamepss is miles a head of Sony sub service.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Anyway, I finally did the GP 3 year trick, but Microsoft isn't allowing me to redeem the 3rd year? So it seems I have to wait for some of the months to come down before I can redeem it I guess.
that's because 3 years is max time, and if you are converting to game pass, you're adding another month, so no bueno, have to wait a month.

All the talking points are game pass. With no game pass, the talking points would have been something else. Exclusives, freebies, you name it.

We would have eaten them up, but the day to day struggle with no games would have been real.

It would be interesting if the OP addeed a poll asking how many on here bought a Series console for Gamepass, especially XSS owners.
I bet it would be higher than people think.

It will be interesting to see how much Gamepass grows in the second half of the gen when the first party games SHOULD be coming at a pretty consistent pace.
I had basically given up on gaming at the start of the xbox one gen. Didn't care about kinect and didn't have the time or money to really sink into it as a hobby. A few years ago, I heard about game pass from my buddy who was trying to get me back into gaming. It was a low-risk way for me to check out a lot of games I had missed over the past 7-8 years. Most of what I play now doesn't come from game pass but I can't see myself ever cancelling it while I have an xbox (series x). I don't think I would have bought back in to xbox if it didn't exist but I don't know how many were in the same boat as me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't know about Xbox, but Gamepass is saving me this month for sure. :goog_relieved:

Top Bottom