• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Cerny lie about ps5 updates?

Mr.ODST

Yeah I should say they both benefit from the SSD inclusion but I'm more talking about Sony's push for even more than just adding an SSD. Some of these PS5 games load blazingly fast and I'm guessing that's only going to get better in the future... see FF7 load times reduced from 42 seconds to 2 or whatever.
Yeah I agree PS5 feels more next gen but I also feel they have missed ALOT of stuff out to make a great product, cant wait for FF7 and some other playstation exclusives but even my PS5 is starting to act up recently, just feels rushed

Mr Moose

Lol its so funny seing Sony Fanboys get mad about this,

They released the "we only believe in generations" after Microsoft posted about cross gen, then Sony proceeded to quietly announce their games being Cross-Gen.

Sony has been terrible since the PS5's launch and even before it going back on their word simple as
Who is mad? And are you saying you can't read either? I bolded the parts for people, too.

Concern

Nothing Ryan said was wrong.

I own both a Series X and a PS5 and I definitely think the PS5 feels like a new generation of console because of the controller, the super fast loading and the new OS features. Series X feels like last gen with an upgraded GPU/CPU. Same games, same controller, same OS and better looking games.

Both directions have their positives and negatives but Sony nailed the feeling of buying into a next gen system even if it does still have cross gen games.

Im not arguing for or against it. Just addressing the goal shifting here. This interview was quoted so much for the great console wars and now they wanna talk about context.

I always have both consoles but its usually the 40 year old man children on the "blue team" stirring shit up then crying playing victim.

It’s unacceptable on PS4 yet alone on PS5. 200MB patch, oh cool, that’ll take a minute...but here, take this 1h copying after that. It destroys every plan you had for that evening. Infuriating.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s unacceptable on PS4 yet alone on PS5. 200MB patch, oh cool, that’ll take a minute...but here, take this 1h copying after that. It destroys every plan you had for that evening. Infuriating.
Why would copying take 1h hour though? Shouldnt the 5GBps read and write speeds reduce those times down even if it has to do the copying?

what exactly is happening here? Are they moving the entire 50 GB of data from temp storage to main storage? shouldnt that only take 10 seconds?

im asking because ive no idea how this stuff works.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amazing thats not the context SDF took it as either. Trolling every thread about cross gen Xbox games and yet here we are with Playstation cross gen games 😉.

It was console war "ammo" till it wasn't. Funny how that worked out. But keep shifting goalposts.
We can look at the tally of the games each has released or will release in the launch window and see how many are PS5 exclusive and how many are cross generation first/second party party wise and compare it with the other PS generation transitions vs the same on Xbox.

So far we have four games for PS5 published by Sony that are PS5 exclusives that I can think of without looking that hard (Astro’s Play Room which was a Dual Sense seller for me, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank, and Returnal) vs some games that are cross generation.
It “still” seems to be roughly in line with other transitions so far, but sure both companies have to face supplies issues and the slower next generation uptake it caused.

Now, compare that against the no first party game exclusive to XSX|S for approximately two years stance and people championing that... there is a difference and you know it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

For those doubting my op..

There’s a new Cold War patch out and right now my game is doing the slow ass copying thing and yes it’s then native ps5 version.

This is when I started 5.12pm
ccZHWoL.jpg

This is 5.18pm
cD8881V.jpg

And this is right now 5.31 pm

WZmqeXL.jpg
Modern Warfare it says. That would be PS4 no?

Concern

We can look at the tally of the games each has released or will release in the launch window and see how many are PS5 exclusive and how many are cross generation first/second party party wise and compare it with the other PS generation transitions vs the same on Xbox.

So far we have four games for PS5 published by Sony that are PS5 exclusives that I can think of without looking that hard (Astro’s Play Room which was a Dual Sense seller for me, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank, and Returnal) vs some games that are cross generation.
It “still” seems to be roughly in line with other transitions so far, but sure both companies have to face supplies issues and the slower next generation uptake it caused.

Now, compare that against the no first party game exclusive to XSX|S for approximately two years stance and people championing that... there is a difference and you know it.

Cool way to spin around the fact that that quote was used as ammo before things turned out the way they did 👍

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Cool way to spin around the fact that that quote was used as ammo before things turned out the way they did 👍
I did not use it as ammo or to criticise other strategies beyond the way the context and facts allow nor I think that many people did either (but I do not keep track of every single fan of every console)... and it turns out that they were right.
What you call spinning (trying to to hand wave it away and go for a lolz one liner reply) was merely answering your point and explaining the reasoning behind it and comparing the predicted strategies... which you admit ended up being kind of correct.

Things still turned out the way they did still, they did on MS side because well they told you so and because on the Sony side there was precedent, well founded hope for BC support on PS5, and what Sony was saying.

Context, historical precedent of only about 25+ years, official announcement by MS... informed the criticism of their stance and their exclusives offering at or near launch. Are you saying you do not use past data and context to say/criticise/comment anything ever... and do you really expect me to believe that ;)?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah I agree PS5 feels more next gen but I also feel they have missed ALOT of stuff out to make a great product, cant wait for FF7 and some other playstation exclusives but even my PS5 is starting to act up recently, just feels rushed
We need to decide... did they finalise the console too early to release it in 2019 and that is why they have missed out on DX12U exclusive features or did they rush it out of the door in late 2020 ;)?

Concern

I did not use it as ammo or to criticise other strategies beyond the way the context and facts allow nor I think that many people did either (but I do not keep track of every single fan of every console)... and it turns out that they were right.
What you call spinning (trying to to hand wave it away and go for a lolz one liner reply) was merely answering your point and explaining the reasoning behind it and comparing the predicted strategies... which you admit ended up being kind of correct.

Things still turned out the way they did still, they did on MS side because well they told you so and because on the Sony side there was precedent, well founded hope for BC support on PS5, and what Sony was saying.

Context, historical precedent of only about 25+ years, official announcement by MS... informed the criticism of their stance and their exclusives offering at or near launch. Are you saying you do not use past data and context to say/criticise/comment anything ever... and do you really expect me to believe that ;)?

Was not specifying you. Was speaking in general as I don't remember you specifically doing it.

No "hand waving". You simply kept moving the goalposts. Nobody quoted that interview more than Sony fanboys up until it was unveiled that games like Horizon, Spider-Man MM, etc were going cross gen.

Then the same people who you guys were using that quote against, started to use it instead.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
During Cerny ps5 talk early 2020 Cerny said those annoying updates where the game would make a copy for the update and then spend ages copying it after the download would be a thing of the past.

Seems every update I see for ps5 games has the same long ass copying after an update has been downloaded.
Cold War 300mb update took me less than 10 Seconds to download and nearly 10 minutes to ‘copy’

Pretty cool right?
That's a PS4 title, right?

mitchman

Gold Member
And yet when the next generation starts everyone forgot about this and gets seduced by Cerny again because he is your friend which doesn't want your money.

He could never lie to us. Only Spencer.
How's that VR headset for the Xbox One coming along?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Was not specifying you. Was speaking in general as I don't remember you specifically doing it.

No "hand waving". You simply kept moving the goalposts. Nobody quoted that interview more than Sony fanboys up until it was unveiled that games like Horizon, Spider-Man MM, etc were going cross gen.
I am not moving the goalposts at all. You even said that reality proved those that used the past history and current stated comments by both companies right.
You are still getting both exclusive next generation games published by Sony on PS5 and the console has several user facing next generation features, the DualSense as a quite strong example of that too which was Ryan’s statement.

The big disagreement with some of the hard core Xbox fans was not on how many exactly would be next generation exclusives there would be, whether it would be many or few (4+ is not bad), but it was the circling of the wagons around defending the assumed lack of them on the XSX|S side... “it does not matter... engines scale stupid... games scales... old generation consoles do not hold new ones back, minimum specs do not matter...”.

Sure, it was a mistake and overconfidence to push all of those as a massive everything exclusive next-generation onslaught, but the point still stands even if you take the outliers fans out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom