• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE leadership changes as studio prepares for next Battlefield.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

EA revealed that there’s been a change of leadership at Battlefield developer DICE Stockholm.

As part of a call with investors following EA’s Q3 FY2020 earnings report, the publisher talked a little bit about the next Battlefield game from DICE.

As previously revealed, the game will take advantage of next-gen hardware, and will be released between April 2021 and March 2022 – likely around fall 2021.

But what we didn’t know is that EA has made some changes to the studio’s leadership as development begins on the next Battlefield. Though specifics, such as names and positions, were not shared, the move is nonetheless interesting.

Many would argue that DICE Stockholm has been on the decline since the release of Star Wars: Battlefront 2. A drop in quality that continued with Battlefield 5, which still suffers from major design problems to this day. Perhaps this change could be the start of the studio’s rebound.

As part of the same call, EA also confirmed that DICE LA, which will soon be re-branded, will work on its own projects, based on internal prototypes. The publisher did not say, however, whether those will be Battlefield games.

It also does not appear that Vince Zampella, who now oversees DICE LA, will be involved in the development of the next Battlefield game.

Naked Lunch

Good. Something needs to be done.
Battlefield 4, 1, and V are all equally trash. 1 and V in particular were literal reskins of DICE Battlefront. Battlefield has gotten too fast and wacky - the games are utter nonsense.
The last great Battlefield was 3 but the crown jewel of the series will always be the PC's BF2. Hell, theyde be better off relaunching BF2 with updated gunplay.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
But what we didn’t know is that EA has made some changes to the studio’s leadership as development begins on the next Battlefield. Though specifics, such as names and positions, were not shared, the move is nonetheless interesting.
We did know this. EA explained they would be doing this in an investor report/financial outlook report last year. They didn’t name names, but they said they would be restructuring company-wide because they were not happy with output and results. It was easily predicted.

Games journalists nowadays are so weirdly incompetent at their job.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think gamers came around to Battlefield 5 with the Pacific DLC, they got frostbite, graphics, 10+ years in the genre so what more do gamers want? I'm just trying to think if going MIA keeps them out of the general shooter conversation that COD dominates.

Arachnid

This will be the first BF since BC I wont buy at launch. Not dealing with this BFV shit again. I'll wait for a solid 2-3 months for a 30 dollar sale and fan impressions of an existing game.

I think gamers came around to Battlefield 5 with the Pacific DLC, they got frostbite, graphics, 10+ years in the genre so what more do gamers want? I'm just trying to think if going MIA keeps them out of the general shooter conversation that COD dominates.
It takes a whole lot more than some remastered maps to redeem BFV. The recent TTK changes straight up killed what miniscule good will those maps earned anyways. The game has had pretty shit support in general since launch. More than a year later, and how many maps have they added?

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Bad company 3 or fuck off

Honestly, I dont want them to touch Bad Company. Looks how bad they handled WWII. Peronsonally the teams to go and sit down and figure how to release a complete game. How not to rush a product and then release patches and updates that break the game more. I know they het a lot of presure from EA and they have time tables to meet. But I have been a fan of BF since 1942 and Dice is an incredible team. But I have lost all confidence in them and cant trust any new title they put out.

Battlefield 4, 1, and V are all equally trash. 1 and V in particular were literal reskins of DICE Battlefront. Battlefield has gotten too fast and wacky - the games are utter nonsense.
The last great Battlefield was 3 but the crown jewel of the series will always be the PC's BF2. Hell, theyde be better off relaunching BF2 with updated gunplay.
I dont know....Battlefield V was by far the worst. I wouldn't sink any other battlefield that low

Barakov

Hardly surprising after how BFV released. It's much better these days but the actual original bug-ridden release and constant PR disasters showed that there needed to be changes at DICE.

EDMIX

Nice. I expect Battlefront 3 this fall and Battlefield VI next fall, hoping its Vietnam so they can do the whole BFVIetnam lol.

I also hope they have DICE LA do a new IP as I know EA made comments about wanting a open world game. One of the biggest sub genres that EA doesn't have a stake in. I also hope they keep the free dlc, no season pass model they've been doing for a few years as I'd argue, out of all the things wrong with BFV and Battlefront 2, that isn't one of them even remotely. Both games moving 10 million units, I don't think they should make radical changes to that area as its clear many appreciated that.

Holammer

Bad Company 3 preceded by a BC2 Remaster to build hype. With improved weapon skins (they look like cheap plastic airsoft junk).
I'm willing to forgive a lot of EA bullshit if they do, and they seem mindful of their reputation and more keen to please users nowadays

A.Romero

I'm a huge BF fan since the original. I still play BFV and I still enjoy it. I guess I'm a filthy casual because I can still have fun despite the TTK changes.

That said, the way they handled all Te criticism before launch was pretty bad. I hope they learned their lesson: you can't make money out of pleasing SJWs.

EDMIX

Bad Company 3 preceded by a BC2 Remaster to build hype. With improved weapon skins (they look like cheap plastic airsoft junk).
I'm willing to forgive a lot of EA bullshit if they do, and they seem mindful of their reputation and more keen to please users nowadays

Maybe, maybe not.

Thats like someone who loved 1942 saying "Battlefield 1944 preceded by a 1942 Remaster to build hype"

or 2142 fan saying "2143 preceded by a 2142 Remaster to build hype"

or BF3 fan saying "Battlefield VI modern war setting preceded by a BF3 Remaster to build hype" etc

As far as I've seen, every BF fan of a certain BF title, thinks THAT is the way and that is the sure path to victory. Followed by "I'm willing to forgive a lot of EA" etc It means really no company could be forgiven as you'd have lots of fans complaining about not getting a remaster of this or that or sequel of this or that etc.

I mean, my god...Bad Company 2 isn't even the best selling Battlefield game. So you are pretty much asking for something personal and then getting upset when the publisher/developer doesn't go that route ignoring reality. As much as I like BFBC2 (one of my most played BF btw), the team can go any route they feel like.

So if it has destruction, big maps, squad based etc, its still a buy for me. I don't get caught up in asking for remasters and sequels to certain BFs. Its waaaay too specific. If it happens, great, but I'm still buying a Battlefield so long as its elements are intact that make it BF. Setting, remake, remaster are just irrelevant imho. I'd buy one in the future like 2143, I'd buy a Bad Company 3, I'd buy BFVI modern warfare ie sequel to BF2,3,4 and I'd buy a Vietnam one.

So when you say "they seem mindful of their reputation and more keen to please users nowadays" ok.....which ones? Cause if they support those "users" that like Battlefield 1 ie the one that moved 15 million units, you might turn around and say they are not listening to fans cause they didn't listen to you specifically.

Elitist1945

I've honestly enjoyed every Battlefield (save for Hardline). While I think they hit their peak with 3, they are still solid multiplayer titles and I'm excited for whatever they come up with for next gen.

Texas Pride

Banned
They've been on the decline and changes needed to be made for awhile now. They have a long way to go to get me back as a BF customer. I can't blindly support them and the BF series out of nostalgia anymore.

Dice may just go all out and have their next game follow the 21st Transgender division and they fight their way through Crocodile infested waters in The Philippines.

Careful. You sound like a fanboy. I quite enjoyed BF4. It was most definitely not trash. Battlefield V on the other hand....

Top Bottom