• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE LA Developer Renamed to Ripple Effect Studios

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Battlefield 2042 developer DICE LA revealed that it has changed its name to Ripple Effect Studios. The company made the announcement on its official Twitter account, which has already been updated to reflect the change in name. According to a blog post published on the Electronic Arts website, the name change is meant to show that the studio has its own culture and "way of doing things" separate from DICE. The studio will still be managed by Respawn Entertainment founder Vince Zampella. On EA's website, Zampella spoke highly of the team, while encouraging new talent to consider joining Ripple Effect.

"The talent here has a great track record of producing high-quality titles, and the studio’s set to make even more incredible games in the future," says Zampella. "With an amazing new campus coming to Los Angeles and remote positions available, now is a great time to consider joining us."

EDMIX

Battlefield 2042 developer DICE LA revealed that it has changed its name to Ripple Effect Studios. The company made the announcement on its official Twitter account, which has already been updated to reflect the change in name. According to a blog post published on the Electronic Arts website, the name change is meant to show that the studio has its own culture and "way of doing things" separate from DICE. The studio will still be managed by Respawn Entertainment founder Vince Zampella. On EA's website, Zampella spoke highly of the team, while encouraging new talent to consider joining Ripple Effect.

"The talent here has a great track record of producing high-quality titles, and the studio’s set to make even more incredible games in the future," says Zampella. "With an amazing new campus coming to Los Angeles and remote positions available, now is a great time to consider joining us."

OH wow, seems EA was serious about having their teams have more freedom.

I wonder if they will do a new IP or if they'll be the team that does Titanfall 3.

Warablo Warablo lol ok....

Not sure what you mean, but Ripple Effect Studios (formerly DICE LA) is a support studio, they help out DICE and do DLC etc. They are no where near the fucking level of DICE Sweden, that would be epic as shit though and if that was the case, EA would just split the teams and have BF be yearly or have DICE LA doing battlefront etc, but that has never occurred, so I have no clue how DICE Sweden would take credit from DICE LA, when it is DICE Sweden that is the main fucking team doing those titles, ie not a support studio...

edit. At the very least, read on what they do before claiming DICE Sweden would take credit from them. They are doing a MODE in BF 2042, they are not its MAIN developer and to my understanding, have NEVER 100% made the majority of any BF. I see zero evidence that they could btw. DICE is also the studio behind the tech too, its not like DICE LA was out here building entire battlefields or something lol

So I hope the best for them and they do great DLC for the BF series, but don't shoot down a team just to try to suck up to another. They are both great teams and I see no reason to pretend as great as DICE LA is, that they are near something as crazy as DICE Sweden, a team legit working on several fucking AAA titles on top of an engine. 2 different ball parks. One makes the game and engine, the other makes the DLC and a "mode" in the game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Dice LA is the only reason why Battlefield 3 and 4 ended up so good. Dice Sweden delivers a incomplete product every launch.

I disagree. The engine, the gameplay etc is still made by DICE Sweden. DICE LA was in charge of DLC, as in....BF3 and BF4 where NEVER going to have all that content at launch, its not like the fucking goal of the game was to really released 4 years later or something weird like that.

So to say its "incomplete" is to assume that DLC is the "rest of the game", when zero evidence exist that it was ever going to make it at launch or that it was even made to be at launch or anything weird like that. So I like the DLC that comes from the BF series, but I don't pretend those extras are the whole fucking game, as if no engine exist, no mechanics are made and no design is put into the game.

They are still building off of what DICE Sweden is making, they are adding on to the frame DICE Sweden makes, not the other way around. So I see no evidence that this idea of "complete" was ever a thing in such titles that rely on post launch content to stay a float.

Don't you think its fucking weird ZERO AAA mp game is coming out with boats loads of content and then zero post launch content after as if it was ummmm "complete"? lol

DLC is not an accident, its not a thing where they are just trying to make that game 100% yet always falling short or something, think about it slowly bud, they hired a fucking team like DICE LA to make the DLC, why not hire them to make that content day 1 when the fucking game is being made?

You sure EA is just making a mistake and being late on making the um "rest" of the game or maybe that is on purpose? It cost money to make that DLC, DICE LA gets paid, fans get post launch content to keep the game alive. Nothing about that has anything to do with "incomplete", but it was never going to make day 1 launch and was never made for that purpose to assume it was going to be..... I don't even know why consumers seem to believe this as if they have some rush to put the game out in 2021 and just forgot 13 maps and DICE LA is just um "late" making it lol All the time? Every generation? All major titles they forgot or? Do you not understand DICE Sweden is not making a game "incomplete", but DICE Sweden is making exactly what EA pays them to make and DICE LA is making what EA pays them to make. That has nothing to fucking do with the actual team DICE Sweden, they are not just rushing to make it and need DICE LA to finish or something, it was NEVER Going to launch that way in the first place. Its a stupid notion that makes very little sense. (yet gamers seem to love this weird idea with little thought behind it)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Dice Sweden has been shit and is the reason why Dice LA is the lead dev with 2042.

Sure.

Here is a link showing they are not lead dev and simply making a mode in BF 2042. You seem to be hurt, so we just adding you to the ignore list man, no reason to really be ignoring reality and making shit up lol

https://www.gamepur.com/news/battle...dice-la-changes-name-to-ripple-effect-studios

https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield...w-ripple-effect-and-its-making-something-new/

"CO-DEVELOPER" and even that is saying a bit much, they are simply making a mode...... not the whole game, not the engine or its entire design etc,......a mode lol Shit gamers love exaggerating shit a lot lol have a good one =)

Naked Lunch

DICE LA has always been known as the B team.
The super shitty BF Hardline is burned into my brain.
I actually didnt know they were behind 2042. That is not good news.

EDIT:
"CO-DEVELOPER" and even that is saying a bit much, they are simply making a mode...... not the whole game, not the engine or its entire design etc,......a mode lol Shit gamers love exaggerating shit a lot lol have a good one =)
Ok well that sounds better. If DICE LA were behind the whole project my 2042 excitement would've been gutted.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

EDIT:

Ok well that sounds better. If DICE LA were behind the whole project my 2042 excitement would've been gutted.

Super shitty BF Hardline?

It had like the best Rush variant since Bad Company 2.

It was super focused on Infantry which for some reason people really wanted.

And its campaign was solid, not a ground breaking story or even gameplay but it was a solid game through and through.

P.S Whoop Whoop! Its the Sound of the Police!

And its campaign was solid, not a ground breaking story or even gameplay but it was a solid game through and through.

Wasn't it Viceral that was behind BF Hardline and not DICE L.A?

Naked Lunch

Yeah - no one played that garbo game, especially not long time Battlefield players - and for good reason.
It was so bad.
I always thought of it as a bad joke and so did the devs/publisher - they swept it under the rug so quick.

Black_Stride

Wasn't it Viceral that was behind BF Hardline and not DICE L.A?

Yeah - no one played that garbo game, especially not long time Battlefield players - and for good reason.
It was so bad.
I always thought of it as a bad joke and so did the devs/publisher - they swept it under the rug so quick.
Yup it was Visceral Games.

DICE LA have always been a support studio

Black_Stride

I gotcha - I stand corrected. Now that I look into the studio - Im not seeing any releases from scratch - just modes and such for other games.

Now that they can get out from under DICE shadow with Vince in charge whatever their next project are should be great.

They are a seemingly talented studio who have good working knowledge of Frostbite they could really be future studio to look at.

recursive

EDIT:

Pretty sure it was Visceral that did BFH.

EDMIX

EDIT:

Agreed. I have nothing against the team formerly known as DICE LA btw, simply that they are known for just doing DLC. They don't make engines, they don't make mechanics or design anything, we simply have no evidence an entire BF made by them would even be good. Me loving the DLC they put out, doesn't mean a whole ass game from the ground up by them would be of the same quality as they are literally building off of another teams work.

Would be like seeing someone make a bunch of cool edits in a games make a character mode and be like "I bet he could make all the characters in the game.....with making his own engine and programing it and desi-" stop. lol There is a massive difference from building off of and creating from the ground up. I hope the best for them and happy to see them do a game on their own, but I would not have a real trust in them solely making a BF title, they need to prove that with their next title before I even come remotely close to believing that.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The job listing is for a Lead Character Artist at Ripple Effect and is looking for a veteran developer with expert skills in sculpting and modeling using Zbrush and Maya. Overall, it's a very typical job listing for such a position. However, there is one bullet point in the "Skills We Look For" section of the listing that is likely referencing Ripple Effect's game. The skill is "Military gear & hardware knowledge a plus."

The implication is that Ripple Effect is making a game that includes characters decked out in military gear, or gear that's inspired by a military theme. With no further context, that leaves a lot of genres as a possibility. From sandbox survival games to sci-fi RPGs, military gear is extremely influential in most genres. The prevalence of a military presence is incredibly common in video game storytelling these days.

ripple-effect-ea-battlefield-military-gear.jpg

Top Bottom