• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice aren’t working on Battlefront 3 due to licensing costs.

Banjo64

cumsessed
t3_qxut2w

Shame, but they’ve botched both prior games with MTX, poor levelling etc. The skeleton to a good game was there both times.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not surprising, this is why studios prefer their own IP. When you rent a license you change the economics of the project.
True, but you also sometimes sell more thanks to that IP (Mario Rabbids without Mario might have sold a tad less ;)). Star Wars license should help you get 20% more sales but 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Edder1

True, but you also sometimes sell more thanks to that IP (Mario Rabbids without Mario might have sold a tad less ;)). Star Wars license should help you get 20% more sales but 🤷‍♂️.
20% is a lot of money to give away, that's potentially hundreds of millions that EA can pocket if they make their own IP. Not sure Battlefront is that much of a big seller compared Battlefield so it makes sense to drop it. I'm sure they've done their economics.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Star Wars license should help you get 20% more sales but 🤷‍♂️.
Only if you don't shit the bed at launch and DICE doesn't know how to do that. IP's like Star Wars and Marvel are money making machines if you make good product, only half assed developers who know they can't whine about IP costs from properties that print money.

SantaC

good. give it to a studio that still knows how to make a shooter game. DICE peaked with Battlefield 2 + 3. everything else since then has been downhill for them.
As I said, best talent from DICE went and formed Embark.

Alandring

I really enjoyed the multiplayer of Star Wars Battlefront II (as much as I hate the story campaign), so I would have liked a third one.

they seem to have dropped the ball a lot recently so guess it's good they aren't making another. Maybe they should go back to the basics and make a really fun Pinball game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

The saddest part about his is not knowing if we'll ever get a Battlefront sequel as a result. Though, I hope we do, and it's the best one yet across the board.

Don't get me wrong, BF1 and BF2 were by no means perfect and had their issues, but I had hoped that 3 would be an improvement as they had already learned from their mistakes.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
20% is a lot of money to give away, that's potentially hundreds of millions that EA can pocket if they make their own IP. Not sure Battlefront is that much of a big seller compared Battlefield so it makes sense to drop it. I'm sure they've done their economics.
This sounds right but it comes with the hubris of thinking making your own IP can have that reach… not dissimilar from the piracy argument being directly equated to lost sales 1:1… yes, it is not the same thing, but it is the same hubris.

WorldHero

This sucks, EA really killed a great product. BF2 started horribly but had really turned the project around by the end. It could've been something really special with the new consoles.

It's wild how these company's force certain elements into games and then blame the devs for underperformance. Avengers and BF2 are perfect examples of this.

Fbh

For all the issues it had, I still enjoyed my time with Battlefront 2, and they did support it for much longer than I expected.
Hopefully this doesn't mean the franchise is dead.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s obi, mando, the anime and potentially a new reboot and for them to not consider battlefront 3 is crazy. The new consoles are there they got all the hardware they need.

I remember thinking the visuals (snow and trees) were amazing in the first game. it's a shame it's wasted on some online only game with no good story mode.

wvnative

This rumor contradicts itself. Says licensing fees are too much, then immediately claims EA is making more Star Wars games, just not Battlefront...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Battlefront 2 was/is one of the best Multiplayer experiences last gen.
The MTX debacule was cleared up real quick and that marred the launch, but not long after that the game was absolutely brilliant.

And arguably one of the best looking games lastgen too.

Shame we probably wont get another one.

Stuart360

Wasnt there literally just rumours about a month ago about Battlefront 3 being their next game?.
Over 20mil Battlefront 1 sales, and 16mil Battlefront 2 sales as of a couple of years ago, yeah i think any licensing problems will be fixed at some point.

Concern

How about fixing the incomplete garbage they released first?

Imagine releasing a large scale team based fps with no voice chat lol

The 2015 game had the core gameplay down, very arcade-like that was similar to the style of the original games.

Then they went and fucked it up in the 2017 game by adding in bog-ass standard modern FPS mechanics like hipfire penalties and movement penalties. Plus the extremely OP heroes and special classes flooding the games and the forced AI in their Conquest clone just completely sour the game for me.

Not to mention it has a worse presentation than the 2015 game. Visually less impressive (blaster bolts look like bullets rather than, you know, blaster bolts), the audio design sucked, and explosion effects were a joke.

So I'm not unhappy that DICE isn't going SWBF3, they clearly don't understand how to make a good game anymore.

Hopefully Lucasfilm will find another studio to make SWBF3... or at least get Aspyr to port the original two games to modern systems with online play restored.

elliot5

People don't realize that Battlefront II ended up being really good (like the OP).

With EA's exclusive on the Star Wars license ending, it likely means they're only allowed one Star Wars game (Fallen Order 2).
I think Tom Henderson said two star wars games are in the works at ea

Klik

good. give it to a studio that still knows how to make a shooter game. DICE peaked with Battlefield 2 + 3. everything else since then has been downhill for them.
Most of the quality devs left after BF5 so now they have kinda questionable people left in studio..

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Dice has lost his talent a few years back.
They are no longer a studio that can deliver quality games.

I enjoy BF2 and still play a few matches to this day from time to time. Anytime i just wanna pew pew I can boot it up and play a quick game. I like that it’s very pick up and play. Feels like an arcade game and that’s fine with me. Sad to hear BF3 won’t be happening anytime soon.

Codes 208

Nothing of value was lost.
I disagree. It launched in a very sorry ass state, and took over a year to change many things around but it went from being shit to tolerable to being a good experience.

Hell, BF1 aside, I would argue it was their best game last gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom