• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV vs Baldur's Gate III - Which are you more confident in turning out decent?

Which of these is more likely to turn out decent?

• Total voters

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'm as much of a Baldur's Gate fan as they come. I played the second in particular up to 7-8 times from start to finish, Throne of Bhaal included.
I still think the RTWP was the biggest flaw of the game, as it is for Deadfire, and being turn-based will only make it for a better battle system.
And I still remember very well how controversial the decision to "go real time because the market doesn't want turn-based games anymore" was when the two BG launched back then.
On top of that we had games like Temple of Elemental Evil proving that turn-based was the superior incarnation of D&D.
Or the recent Pathfinder Kingmaker that became an actual classic only when the [incredibly popular] turn-based mod was released.

Also, we get some fucking neat map layout with tons of verticality as a trade-off. Hard to not see it as a net plus.
Are you my brother from another mother?

Lanrutcon

BG will be great to D&D players, and too much of a shock to BG fans.

D4 just has to be "ok" to actually succeed, given the way the franchise has gone.

Mozzarella

As a game probably Badlurs Gate 3, Larian did a good job with Divnity OS 2, but to be honest the way they handled Baldurs Gate 3 is not much faithful to the OG games, the new game look like Divnity 3 instead of Baldurs Gate, changes to atmosphere and gameplay imply that. Diablo 4 can also turn out to be great so its not really like a big difference in my choice here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While it may not feel like Baldur's Gate or D&D, I'm fully confident that Larian will turn around a solid RPG.

Vaelka

Diablo 4 isn't even going to be a Diablo game.
I've talked with other people at great length about this so I don't want to go into it too much again I am kinda tired of it, but Diablo 4 is straying quite far away from being a Diablo game.
The open world and what looks to be more narrative driven with more cutscenes and climbing mechanics etc.
Even mounts ( wtf?).

It sorta makes me wonder if the devs even played D2 and understand how it played and why it was great.
Mounts alone renders so much of the unique move sets and itemization useless and I really hate watching my character climb ladders etc. A Diablo game should minimize the amount of time that it takes control away from your character, I really have no clue why they even put that shit into the game to begin with.

I am sure Diablo 4 is going to be a fun game, Blizzard always makes fun games even if you might think that they're not as good as the past ones.
I mean Diablo 3 is definitely more fun to play than Diablo 2, but it doesn't have the same magic as Diablo 2 and does a lot of things wrong. But Blizzard at least always nails the gameplay.
But I don't believe that Diablo 4 is going to feel like a Diablo game if they keep doing what they're currently doing.

In regards to Baldurs Gate I am pretty excited, but there's something that feels so off about the character designs to me.
The characters don't even look like '' adventurers '' to me they look so much like random NPC's.

BG3 because Larian has proven themselves worthy.

that D4 gameplay trailer in the OP was yawn inducing

The Diablo 4 gameplay was definitely a bit meh.
For me mainly because I am a Sorceress player tho and her spells looked weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Neither.
I'm sure there will be people loving both of them, especially BG3.
But for me, they have zero appeal.
D4 will just be D3.5, an half-assed game riddled with the usual activision shit, dumbed down gameplay-for-everyone, ugly classes and still the wrong art style.
BG3 is just Divinity 3. I loved Divinity 1 and 2, but that's not what I want for BG3. Art style is off and I don't like the switch to turns - makes every encounter last way too long. Went to super hyped for the announcement to super bummed when we saw what it was.

Last edited:

Fbh

Baldur's Gate.
I agree it looks and seems to play too much like Divinity but at least that's a solid franchise so I don't mind if it feels like Original Sin 3.

Zero hype for Diablo 4. Blizzard games just don't really click with me, the last game they released that I liked a lot was OG Warcraft 3

MiguelItUp

I enjoyed D3 a lot more after RoS. Was it perfect? Nah. But I think they're on the right track with D4 taking more inspirations from 1/2. But I do think BG3 is on track to be more of a promising title. Could D4 still come around and be solid? Most definitely! But at this point and time it's hard to not feel more confident on BG3, and anything that isn't being handled by Blizzard.

I’ll go with the biggest video game company in the world and the franchise that moved out of niche PC scene with their most recent iteration. Diablo III was fun as hell (no pun intended), even with widespread hacking (or maybe exactly because of it).

And was more middle of the road to begin with? I enjoyed Diablo III, but it's super simpy compared to the D:OSs and the BGs of the world.

I would argue when a game that has 6 people playing it on the entire planet, it's no longer relavent. They're disposable games.

Disposable games have their place, just as paper plates do, but I prefer dining on fine China...as most sophisticated gamers do.

You've got a funny ass idea of disposable bro. Does Bon Jovi getting more album sales and streams make them more vital than Sonic Youth?

BG3 will have a better story, and for turned based gamers it'll be better by default.

But for pure action, production values, smooth gameplay and replay value, D4 kills BG3.

Both games are in early stages, BG3 looks like a 360/PS3 game.

Diablo is largely repetitive. The action goes little further than click-click-bloody-click.

Ozzie666

I am kind of hopeful for Diablo IV, they really recovered well for Diablo 3 after a disastrous start. Diablo 3 ended up in a really good and fun place, addictive game play loop.

april6e

Larian games annoy me sometimes because they always release a vastly superior "GOTY" version of their games a year or so after the original game comes out. So you have to wait a year later just to play the best version of the game. And they are taking painstakingly long with Baldurs Gate 3.

It looks so good but I refuse to play it until they release the complete version. Also, do I need to play BG1 and 2 to understand references in this game? Everyone claimed you didn't need to play Divinity 1 to play Divinity 2 but there were so many huge references to the first game you would completely miss if you didn't play the first.

Last edited:

Zug

I don't think BG3 will be anywhere as epic and memorable as BG1+2. A better tactical game, certainly, but that's it. I don't like BG3 artistic direction, it looks bland, and the general tone seems a bit off compared with the D&D universe pictured in other classical CRPGs.
I've been playing the BG original saga to this day (with BGT and mods/custom mods) and it's still the king of CRPGs. I don't see a game released in 2021/2022 with the actual technical "requirements" having the same scale and global quality of content, unless maybe it was a Rocksar-budget game, which BG3 is certainly not.

I never liked hack'n slashes more than a few hours. To me these games are are just slot machines in disguise to trap players in a short-term dopamine loop. I hate that a lot of games that I could really like re-uses that awful "Diablo" random loot system (DOS, Nioh, DA Inquisition...).

Will probably play BG3 once like I did for DOS 1/2, and pass on D4 since I could'nt even finish my first D3 playthrough.

Not a great poll if I'm being honest. Are they being compared because they're both isometric or something?
Never played BG. Aren't they two different games? And isn't BG turn based? Can't watch video atm.
Yeah, thread title is bloody misleading.
They're being compared not on their technical or gameplay aspects, but on the circumstances of their development

It's "Hey they're finally making a new (BG or Diablo)", but:
Some fans don't have faith in modern blizzard to deliver a good Diablo game
Some fans don't have faith in Larian to deliver a good BG game

Add in the fact that each of the two games is a heavily anticipated return to landmark rpg franchises from a similar era.

Concern

Yeah, thread title is bloody misleading.
They're being compared not on their technical or gameplay aspects, but on the circumstances of their development

It's "Hey they're finally making a new (BG or Diablo)", but:
Some fans don't have faith in modern blizzard to deliver a good Diablo game
Some fans don't have faith in Larian to deliver a good BG game

Add in the fact that each of the two games is a heavily anticipated return to landmark rpg franchises from a similar era.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Both look great imo but not a fan of turn based combat.

sircaw

Banned
My heart wants it to be diablo 4 but my head tells me it's going to be Baldurs gate.

Larian are now one of the best studios on the planet.

Blizzard is, well yer, you get the picture. "lollipop_disappointed:

luffie

BG3 looks amazing and seem to being about more innovation from Divinity 2.

Meanwhile Blizzard just butchered their own Warcraft 3 Remastered, which was already a good base game to begin with. Their current bet is on Diablo 2 Remake, which is just a reskin. And I'm betting that they are putting more effort to Diablo Resurrection more than Diablo 4 because mobile is the bank now, so no, I'm not confident about Diablo 4.

Allandor

Well, I guess Diablo IV because Hack & Slay is a much simpler gametype than a full blown RPG that might get destroyed by the story or the atmosphere.

People that have a problem with Diablo 3 mostly expected just another Diablo 2. But things were (with the patches) made much easier etc. Also droprates are much better than in the beginning. But in the end they are both more or less the same extreme repetitiv games ... and I like them both ^^

Topher

Gold Member
D4 tough bg2 is one of my favs bg3 is new divinity not new bg

Can anyone translate this?

Not sure what "D4 tough" means, but the rest says "Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favorites. Baldur's Gate 3 is a new Divinity (as in Divinity: Original Sin). It is not a new Baldur's Gate.

Edit: Ah, I get it. That first sentence seems to say: "Diablo 4. Though Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favorites. " And so on.

Last edited:
Can anyone translate this?
Not sure what "D4 tough" means, but the rest says "Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favorites. Baldur's Gate 3 is a new Divinity (as in Divinity: Original Sin). It is not a new Baldur's Gate.
D4 tough bg2 is one of my favs bg3 is new divinity not new bg
"Diablo 4.
Even though BG2 is one of my favourites, BG3 is a new divinity game and not a new BG." was my interpretation

Last edited:

Irobot82

I like playing the Early Access of BG3, it's just not BG3. Not in tone, not in content, not in party member size. It's a great D&D game that is using the BG name for recognition.

Sentenza

I have my own share of gripes with some SPECIFIC design decisions BG3 is taking currently, but nitpicking aside after almost a year of Early Access I can say that on some areas is shaping up to be an incredible game.
I've never seen a title that combined this kind of high production value (close-up in dialogues, fully voiced, cinematic animations, etc) with such an absurd degree of reactivity/constant acknowledgement of the player actions, even in some fairly fringe cases.

Let's say for instance that a side mission has a crypt you can sneak in and deal with some robbers trying to open a locked sanctuary. But somehow you find a way to circumvent the whole scenario and sneak in from the other end, entering the sanctuary first and then coming up from it to the crypt to face the robbers.
The game gives you options to:
- deal with the robbers explicitly.
- intimidate the robbers
- lure the robbers into a trap
- Just open the door and hide and watch them freak out about the "door opened by itself"

Etc, etc.

Or let's say that at some point a certain NPC tries to trick you into drinking a sleeping potion as a "medicine" and jail you.
You can fall for it, recognize what she's doing and start a fight on the spot, try to weasel your way out of it, etc.
if your character is an elf immune to magical sleep the potion won't work.
If you pickpocketed the potion out of her inventory she'll try to give it to you, freak out realizing the potion is gone and try to use a sleep spell on you. And once again if your character is immune to magical sleep she will groan in rage about it and start a fight.

And so on.

I gotta go with BG3.

D3 left such a pitifully sour taste in my mouth. Coupled now with the shit that is nu-blizzard as a developer on a whole and I just dont gaf about that series nearly as much any more. the series just doesnt bring anything different, innovative, or improved to the table for me. the story is never any better.

AJUMP23

BG3 looks to be the more interesting adventure of the two. I don't know if I will buy either, but if I do I will let you know.

EDMIX

I'm sure both will be great and I love both IP, but I side with the team thats doing Baldur's Gate 3.

Top Bottom