• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV vs Baldur's Gate III - Which are you more confident in turning out decent?

Which of these is more likely to turn out decent?

• Total voters

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don’t know what the fuck that game is they called number 3 but it aint baldurs gate.

so diablo 4
Btw this is basically a turd vs douche competition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, yes and no.
It kinda figures that BG3 is more likely to end up a good, even great, game.
But looking at those trailers, isolated from everything else? Diablo IV looks to be what fans wanted in terms of gameplay and atmosphere: more of the same as the classics. I mean if this trailer was shown a year after D3 released, the hype would have been huge.
But this is Blizzard, so... yeah.

Baldur's gate 3, on the other hand, has one major feature that has already split the community pre-release.
I'm all for Turn-based, but I can understand the disappointment from some.

The above kinda evened the odds for each side out in my mind.
Everyone knows what Diablo is. Clickfest loot driven game. The changes they made making the game darker and grittier is what many fans want (like me). Who knows why it morphed into rainbow colours in D3. Some of the random dungeons in D3 rival Fortnite in colour palette.

The open world-ish gameplay with some kind of online component is hit and miss. I'm hoping there is a standard SP mode so I don't have to dick around with quests being already raided by online gamers, which is something I saw in the previews. You have a quest marker, go to it and there's already other gamers hammering away at the boss. Meh.

As for BG, I'm surprised at people not liking turn based. The old games were phased combat already. I didn't think any gamers would really care whether it's phased or turn based. But I can see the gameplay differences.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I don't think people understand that the original "real time" battle system in Baldur's Gate 2, etc, was actually an automated turn based system. The developers of those games loved d&d just as much as Larian, and they saw that the turn based combat on tabletop was just the d&d creators' way of simulating real time battles with an element of chance.

So Larian's decision to go with its turn based system from Divinity is, actually, a dumbing down of a much more advanced take on a turn based combat system.

I don't think gamers realise what an affront it is that Larian is jettisoning the hard work of the makers of the earlier titles and just dominating the IP with their own, plodding, take on turn based combat.

They should at least do what Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire did with a patch, and provide a choice between og Baldur's Gate combat and turn based.

Until that happens, i can only, by default, because the field is limited to one title, say that D4 will be the better game.

As for BG, I'm surprised at people not liking turn based. The old games were phased combat already. I didn't think any gamers would really care whether it's phased or turn based. But I can see the gameplay differences.

Well, from my post above you can see my take on what you've said. You're saying it's not a big leap to go from automated turn based combat to static turn based combat - i think for me at least that's the very essence of the problem.. if there's so little difference, why don't they do the IP the respect of retaining the og battle system? Maybe they couldn't code it~

Last edited by a moderator:

Esca

I'll be buying both. I think BG3 will be the better game but I'll spend more time and probably enjoy Diablo more

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, from my post above you can see my take on what you've said. You're saying it's not a big leap to go from automated turn based combat to static turn based combat - i think for me at least that's the very essence of the problem.. if there's so little difference, why don't they do the IP the respect of retaining the og battle system? Maybe they couldn't code it~
No doubt it's got to be easier to code and QA test turn based. So do it.

GamerEDM

Banned
i actually dont have any faith in the current blizzard team. Diablo 3 was mediocre as hell i only played through it once,

Tschumi

i actually dont have any faith in the current blizzard team. Diablo 3 was mediocre as hell i only played through it once,
I played through it once, including both expansions, barely ever died on max difficulty, i went back like almost a decade later hoping that it would seem fresh to me.. i quit after a quarter of an act. It's a shame though, all the hard work and level design that went into a fundamentally flawed gameplay model

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played through it once, including both expansions, barely ever died on max difficulty, i went back like almost a decade later hoping that it would seem fresh to me.. i quit after a quarter of an act. It's a shame though, all the hard work and level design that went into a fundamentally flawed gameplay model
D3 is a stupidly easy game. First time I played it was on PC and I think I died twice. Both times by being trapped and swarmed by enemies because I tried to Rambo a mob and they surrounded me and did that brick wall ability. I never died fighting a boss.

I remember playing D1 and getting killed the first time I fought The Butcher.

Only time D3 gets hard is if you pump up the torment levels. The starting default levels you are allowed to play are easy as hell.

I guess that's Blizzards strategy to get gamers playing finding loot. Make the game too challenging and gamers will quit playing.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

BG3 will have a better story, and for turned based gamers it'll be better by default.

But for pure action, production values, smooth gameplay and replay value, D4 kills BG3.

Both games are in early stages, BG3 looks like a 360/PS3 game.

Show me a ps3/360 that looks like this please. I´ll be waiting.
image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0005.jpg

image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0006.jpg

image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0025.jpg

image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0020.jpg

BG3 is gonna crush Diablo so bad its not even funny. Larian about to show those soyboys back at Blizzard what a real RPG is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Show me a ps3/360 that looks like this please. I´ll be waiting.
image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0005.jpg

image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0006.jpg

image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0025.jpg

image_baldur_s_gate_iii-41656-4251_0020.jpg

BG3 is gonna crush Diablo so bad its not even funny. Larian about to show those soyboys back at Blizzard what a real RPG is.
Diablo isn't a real RPG to begin with. It's always been an action clickfest action RPG. Gamers don't care about the story. It's all about loot.

There is nothing special looking about BG3, especially as a 2020 game. Your images are mostly cut scenes, which are barely better than Mass Effect 3 cutscenes on 360 8 years ago.

Dr_Salt

Diablo isn't a real RPG to begin with. It's always been an action clickfest action RPG. Gamers don't care about the story. It's all about loot.

There is nothing special looking about BG3, especially as a 2020 game. Your images are mostly cut scenes, which are barely better than Mass Effect 3 cutscenes on 360 8 years ago.

Running in engine and considering the game is still in beta it might end up looking even better. Diablo is a rpg, just like there are different types of action genres so are rpgs and quite a boring one imo.

But come on, I´m waiting for those Mass Effect 3 in engine cutscene pictures from 8 years ago.

Krapalicious

Neo Member
I'm most excited for Baldur's Gate 3.

I'm confident that Larian Studios can definitely make the Baldur's Gate franchise special based on their track record with the Divinity Original Sin series.

The Diablo series has been a steady decline for me. Loved the original Diablo. Liked Diablo 2 less, and Diablo 3 even less. Not confident that Blizzard can make Diablo a great franchise again, especially with Rob Pardo no longer at the helm.

lefty1117

Gold Member
THey're pretty different games, but I'm more excited about BG3 right now. 5th Edition turn-based D&D, in Forgotten Realms? Yeah

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Running in engine and considering the game is still in beta it might end up looking even better. Diablo is a rpg, just like there are different types of action genres so are rpgs and quite a boring one imo.

But come on, I´m waiting for those Mass Effect 3 in engine cutscene pictures from 8 years ago.
I'm waiting for BG3 gameplay graphics (like in the above video Iink I posted where a YT guy is playing it) that looks better than Mass Effect.

BG3 looks like a game that could have been made 10 years ago on PC.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm most excited for Baldur's Gate 3.

I'm confident that Larian Studios can definitely make the Baldur's Gate franchise special based on their track record with the Divinity Original Sin series.

The Diablo series has been a steady decline for me. Loved the original Diablo. Liked Diablo 2 less, and Diablo 3 even less. Not confident that Blizzard can make Diablo a great franchise again, especially with Rob Pardo no longer at the helm.
Diablo is like a sports game or shooter. It'll never evolve much from the core gameplay it's known for. And for Diablo it's swatting mobs of monsters hoping that uber item with a 0.1% drop rate shows up.

For RPGs, the dev has freedom to totally change things up as gameplay is typically less important. The core gameplay can totally change, but as long as it's still good, it can be accepted. Good example is going from Fallout 1-2 to F3. Totally different, but the story and setting were still Fallout and it worked.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate looks okay, but I wanted an actual Baldur's Gate game, not another Divinity. Chalk me up for D IV

Yep, Baldur's Gate 3 is Turn-based: "It Was Never Really a Question"
One of the biggest questions going into Baldur's Gate 3 was whether Larian Studios would retain its familiar turn-based approach from Divinity: Original Sin. As most RPG fans know, Baldur's Gate has traditionally been a series built around real-time mechanics, but with the ability to pause and set your moves ahead of time. With Baldur's Gate 3, Larian is opting to dispense with that tradition.

"It was never really a question," Design Producer David Walgrave says. "We've been doing turn-based for a while now. We're pretty good at it. Dungeons & Dragons is turn-based in itself, so it makes a lot of sense. Even after we implemented the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset, the result was so different from what we concocted with Divinity: Original Sin that we saw that the combat designers would have to do it completely different, so that was a challenge. And we're doing things that we haven't done before, so for us it was the best choice."

Larian's approach winds up resembling Divinity: Original Sin in many ways. Environmental interactions are once again a huge part of the combat, with the ability to ignite traps, move objects, and exploit height all conferring major advantages. But it's also got a decidedly D&D flavor. Before every combat encounter, the game automatically rolls for initiative, which should be a familiar sight to fans of the tabletop game. The tactics are fairly open-ended, allowing you to pull off sneaky tricks like robbing skeletons of their weapons before they rise to attack, assuming you have the wherewithal to do so.

Tschumi

"It was never really a question," Design Producer David Walgrave says. "We've been doing turn-based for a while now. We're pretty good at it. Dungeons & Dragons is turn-based in itself, so it makes a lot of sense. Even after we implemented the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset, the result was so different from what we concocted with Divinity: Original Sin that we saw that the combat designers would have to do it completely different, so that was a challenge. And we're doing things that we haven't done before, so for us it was the best choice."
I don't think he realizes exactly what a flamefest trigger what he said is :p how briefly and offhandedly he brushes aside the OG combat system and implies that it isn't D&D~ roar!

Nickolaidas

Banned
I don't think he realizes exactly what a flamefest trigger what he said is :p how briefly and offhandedly he brushes aside the OG combat system and implies that it isn't D&D~ roar!
The OG combat system is cancer and can go fuck itself. Whoever thought it was a good idea that a spellcaster who casts dispel magic on a confused character who is running around the screen like an idiot must target the spot the character was AT THE TIME YOU CLICK CAST and not FOLLOW THE CHARACTER HIMSELF IN ORDER TO GUARANTEE A CONNECT must be shot, fucked, then fired. Dispel Magic isn't even an aiming spell - it doesn't need an attack roll - ergo it should never miss a target (only fail to oppose the magic cast by a greatly superior magic user). The main reason people praise the original battle system is that it made combat faster (which was never what D&D was about).

The D&D ruleset is turn-based, and D&D RPGs should be turn-based (I'm talking about real D&D RPGs, not glorified Diablo rip-offs like Dark Alliance)

Hudo

Weird comparison but I have a lot more confidence in Baldur's Gate III. I don't have any in Blizzard, and what they've shown of Diablo IV so far has left me disappointed. Yes, the "l want my dark atmosphere!!!1" criticism has been adressed but they seem determined to turn Diablo IV into a fucking service game. What Larian have shown of Baldur's Gate III has left me wanting more.

ZZZZ

I'm waiting for BG3 gameplay graphics (like in the above video Iink I posted where a YT guy is playing it) that looks better than Mass Effect.

BG3 looks like a game that could have been made 10 years ago on PC.

If you think Mass effect 3 looks the same as BG3 you need to have your eyes checked.

Last edited:

Tschumi

The OG combat system is cancer and can go fuck itself. Whoever thought it was a good idea that a spellcaster who casts dispel magic on a confused character who is running around the screen like an idiot must target the spot the character was AT THE TIME YOU CLICK CAST and not FOLLOW THE CHARACTER HIMSELF IN ORDER TO GUARANTEE A CONNECT must be shot, fucked, then fired. Dispel Magic isn't even an aiming spell - it doesn't need an attack roll - ergo it should never miss a target (only fail to oppose the magic cast by a greatly superior magic user). The main reason people praise the original battle system is that it made combat faster (which was never what D&D was about).

The D&D ruleset is turn-based, and D&D RPGs should be turn-based (I'm talking about real D&D RPGs, not glorified Diablo rip-offs like Dark Alliance)
you can't shit on a battle system because a freaking old game had some janky mechanics. is the same thing still happening with Deadfire? If so, that just means that Larian should have had the wherewithall to tweak it into submission.

I said it already, the original battle system was an automated turn based combat system. You think turn based means turn based, lemon equals yellow, with the BG battle system turn based meant a cascade of computer dice rolls dictating the outcome of battles with the illusion of real time events.

Okay, it had some weird parts, okay it was a frustrating game even without those weird parts... Deadfire plays a lot better, imo, such nitpicks aren't enough to justify going from a elegant expression of D&D rules to some simplistic one turn two turn plodfest. At least, they aren't enough to justify buying up "arguably the most precious WRPG license" imo then completely ignoring arguably the core characteristic that set that game apart.

>> If you love the Divinity way of doing things, wait for Divinity 3 or whatever

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickolaidas

Banned
you can't shit on a battle system because a freaking old game had some janky mechanics. is the same thing still happening with Deadfire? If so, that just means that Larian should have had the wherewithall to tweak it into submission.

I said it already, the original battle system was an automated turn based combat system. You think turn based means turn based, lemon equals yellow, with the BG battle system turn based meant a cascade of computer dice rolls dictating the outcome of battles with the illusion of real time events.

Okay, it had some weird parts, okay it was a frustrating game even without those weird parts... Deadfire plays a lot better, imo, such nitpicks aren't enough to justify going from a elegant expression of D&D rules to some simplistic one turn two turn plodfest. At least, they aren't enough to justify buying up "arguably the most precious WRPG license" imo then completely ignoring arguably the core characteristic that set that game apart.

>> If you love the Divinity way of doing things, wait for Divinity 3 or whatever
I fully admit I haven't played Deadfire yet. But my experience with the BG engine was so bad (especially after coming back from Dark Sun Ravager) that I couldn't help but bang my head at the whole system. For me, D&D was always about Turn Based. Not only because the D&D tabletop is like that, but because the rules were made with that system in mind.

I mean, the BG system immediately invalidates the benefit characters with high-DEX scores have on initiative (because there isn't an initiative system anymore), as well as tons of other stuff. Decades-old mechanics were brushed aside just so that the battles would go faster.

That doesn't mean that Larian themselves won't have to compromise with the rules (they even stated it), but ...

420bits

Both games will without a doubt be "turn out decent", anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. Unless you go by the retarded scale where 75-89 out of a 100 is "shit".

Now, if you would have asked "which one will turn out great?!" my vote would be Baldurs gate 3.
I hope D4 will be awesome but to early to tell.

Tschumi

I fully admit I haven't played Deadfire yet. But my experience with the BG engine was so bad (especially after coming back from Dark Sun Ravager) that I couldn't help but bang my head at the whole system. For me, D&D was always about Turn Based. Not only because the D&D tabletop is like that, but because the rules were made with that system in mind.

I mean, the BG system immediately invalidates the benefit characters with high-DEX scores have on initiative (because there isn't an initiative system anymore), as well as tons of other stuff. Decades-old mechanics were brushed aside just so that the battles would go faster.

That doesn't mean that Larian themselves won't have to compromise with the rules (they even stated it), but ...
this boils down to - do we want simulated real time, or do we want simulated real time with breaks between all the turns.

like i said in an earlier post, they should give the choice to use either combat style - something which deadfire added in with a patch

... deadfire's really quite great

Nickolaidas

Banned
this boils down to - do we want simulated real time, or do we want simulated real time with breaks between all the turns.
Personally I want the best and most precise emulation of the D&D 5th Edition ruleset I can get, because I love tabletop D&D, but I cannot play it solo. D&D video games can somewhat solve this problem.

So basically, the more I game D&D RPGs on my PC/Console and feel like I'm playing the D&D 5th Edition tabletop game with the CPU playing the DM part, the better.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Personally I want the best and most precise emulation of the D&D 5th Edition ruleset I can get, because I love tabletop D&D, but I cannot play it solo. D&D video games can somewhat solve this problem.

So basically, the more I game D&D RPGs on my PC/Console and feel like I'm playing the D&D 5th Edition tabletop game with the CPU playing the DM part, the better.
i don't wanna sound like a smartass but like there are tabletop simulators that might achieve that for ya?

I'm not sure Divinity's system is very D&D... We'll see what kinda tweaks they make...

I really just want the option. I thnk they might even cave and put it in a later patch

People love to give Blizzard crap but they keep putting out top tier content. I love diablo and I loved 3. I would say I feel like Diablo 3 is my most played game of the 360 gen and this gen

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
People are complaining that BG3 will play a lot like Divinity games, but personally I don't mind the changes, because Original Sin 1 and 2 were incredibly good games.

Diablo 4 presentation was pretty boring and the idea of the game becoming more like a MMO is driving me away from playing it.

Marchizmo

BG for sure, the stuff Larian puts out is great. Diablo looks like it wants to be a good game, but I just don't know with new Blizzard.

Melubas

I have zero confidence in Diablo 4 being good after the shitshow that is Diablo 3. Baldur's Gate 3 however I'm pumped for. Larian is an amazingly talented studio and does have the CRPG experience needed to make an Amazing sequel.

Relativ9

I expect the actual moment to moment using spells and abilities in Diablo 4 to be fantastic, this as always been the case for Blizzard. The setting/art style also looks to be headed in the right direction...now it's just left to see if they can get the structure and all-important meta of the game right.

My worry about Baldurs Gate would be that that might not polish enough and some of the art is a bit too high fantasy for my taste (and yes I know it's DnD).

IKSTUGA

Baldur's Gate. Love D&D 5e and BGIII seems pretty faithful based on the couple of videos I've seen. Larian has pretty good track record with Divinity also.

D3 is one of my favorite games of all time, but Blizzard hasn't been that great for some time, so...

Last edited:

Sentenza

I'm as much of a Baldur's Gate fan as they come. I played the second in particular up to 7-8 times from start to finish, Throne of Bhaal included.
I still think the RTWP was the biggest flaw of the game, as it is for Deadfire, and being turn-based will only make it for a better battle system.
And I still remember very well how controversial the decision to "go real time because the market doesn't want turn-based games anymore" was when the two BG launched back then.
On top of that we had games like Temple of Elemental Evil proving that turn-based was the superior incarnation of D&D.
Or the recent Pathfinder Kingmaker that became an actual classic only when the [incredibly popular] turn-based mod was released.

Also, we get some fucking neat map layout with tons of verticality as a trade-off. Hard to not see it as a net plus.

TheContact

I voted for both. I think Blizz learned their lesson with Diablo. They do seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from D2 which is why I think D4 will be good. Even now D3 is good, but it took a while to get there. BG3 also looks amazing. It's gonna be hard to mess up either of these titles.

Isn't that new Diablo funded by Chinese gov? No thanks.

You're thinking of Diablo Immortal, the mobile game, which is being developed by a chinese company.

D4 is being published and developed by Blizzard.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

People are really not big on Blizzard at the moment, but for me they are still one of the best in the bizz. Yes, Warcraft sucked, but I love Overwatch, love Diablo 3 and WoW classic was great although I have stopped playing.

Politics aside and judging solely on their body of work I'm still a fan so I'm going with Diablo although I've never played Baldurs Gate (I really should and now this game is on my radar).

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Baldur's gate 3 has much more potential to fail and piss people off IMO.
I think Blizzard learned their lesson with Diablo3, they greatly improved that game over the years.

Top Bottom