• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV vs Baldur's Gate III - Which are you more confident in turning out decent?

Which of these is more likely to turn out decent?

• Total voters
Diablo IV - Blizzard Entertainment

Baldur's Gate III - Larian Studios

Each of them is a return to a highly-acclaimed series, with a little reason to be wary about the prospective results in both cases.

Diablo IV is being developed by a Blizzard that seems to have lost touch with the series and its fans. The game itself appears to be sticking to its roots in terms of style and gameplay.
Baldur's gate III is helmed by a different studio to previous games in the series. Although Larian studios has definitely earned its place in RPG history, BG3 is being taken in an entirely new direction mechanically (albeit a direction Larian is very familiar with).

Which are you more confident in turning out decent(at least), and why?

(I know, I know, arpg/crpg. I believe we can compare the situations regardless)

edit: One year later

Diablo 4

Baldur's Gate 3

Last edited:

TexMex

I think on a purely technical level it’s BG3, but I can’t get into the ultra deep CRPG stuff (Tried so many times) - so I’m looking forward to D4 more and will probably put countless hours into it. D4 would really have to be some sort of unmitigated disaster - which given the last 10 years of Blizzard I won't say is impossible.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Baldur's Gate 3. Now that I dont have to worry about that terrible Physical/Magic armor mechanic that's in Divinity I'm looking forward to this game from Larian.

I think both will be great but I don't have a PC for BG3 - looking forward to playing D4 on Playstation though. I don't have the history with the Diablo series that others do (only played D3 on Playstation) so I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.

fermcr

Probably won't even bother purchasing Diablo 4. Nowadays I get fed up pretty quickly with brainless ARPG's like Diablo.
I'll pick Larian Studios BD3 without a doubt.

I’ll go with the biggest video game company in the world and the franchise that moved out of niche PC scene with their most recent iteration. Diablo III was fun as hell (no pun intended), even with widespread hacking (or maybe exactly because of it).

Last edited:
Diablo 4 - finally, a top down ARPG that isn't cartoony or looks like a WoW clone aesthetically.

But I went with both because Baldur's Gate 3 is practically guaranteed to be a great experience and Diablo 4 is a return to form.

Both will be high 80s/low 90s Metascore games.

Diablo IV will be relavent in 2025. Baulders Gate III won't.
On the contrary, the first two games are still relevant today so who's to say the third game won't be?

Sentenza

BGIII and it's not even a contest.

I never even particularly liked Diablo to begin with.
Conversely, I loved BG2 like few other games and there are good chances this third one by Larian, while fairly different in principle, could even top some aspects of the original.
Turn based combat and a shitload of verticality seem especially neat.

What's best, BG3 automatically addresses the worst flaws of the last two Larian titles (a shitty randomized itemization and a half-assed ruleset) even just by virtue of being based on D&D 5th edition.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Diablo 4 - finally, a top down ARPG that isn't cartoony or looks like a WoW clone aesthetically.

But I went with both because Baldur's Gate 3 is practically guaranteed to be a great experience and Diablo 4 is a return to form.

On the contrary, the first two games are still relevant today so who's to say the third game won't be?

I would argue when a game that has 6 people playing it on the entire planet, it's no longer relavent. They're disposable games.

Disposable games have their place, just as paper plates do, but I prefer dining on fine China...as most sophisticated gamers do.

They're about equal to me. Diablo III is a lot of fun, and the artstyle in IV looks better. Baldur's Gate will be fun with much more story focus.

I anticipate both equally.

Rikkori

Blizzard = washed-up has been. They're missing left and right & all the old talent is either gone or just fucking old & done for, cashing pension checks. Meanwhile Larian's recently put out an RPG that's in contention for being the GOAT. How's this even a question?

I have zero confidence in Blizzard these days. I'll give them credit for going back to a grittier, more realistic art style for D4, but that's just about the only good thing I have to say about the game.

Rickyiez

As much as I love Divinity O/S series, I’m not feeling BG3 yet. It still felt like a skin on top of OS2.

As for D4, I think it will be another shitshow as long as Activision is in charge but secretly I hope it turns out to be great. Would love to play something darker in the tone.

I trust Larian more than I trust Blizzard at this point, but I think both will be fine.
The only problem I really had with D3 at launch was not being able to get into their servers. I was pissed that there was no option for an offline solo mode because I only play solo anyways. I steered clear of the auction house.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
BG3 will have a better story, and for turned based gamers it'll be better by default.

But for pure action, production values, smooth gameplay and replay value, D4 kills BG3.

Both games are in early stages, BG3 looks like a 360/PS3 game.

DavidGzz

D4 will be for me, I'll probably put another 10k hours into it. I'll be excited for BG buy it and probably drop it 10 hours in. I always try to love turn based games but fail these days. I think I only finished the first game back in the day.

Also, Diablo streamers advised that D4 feels even smoother than D3 which is crazy. I love that it's open world. The aesthetics are much more Diablo like and the graphics are awesome. The Druid is back. They are listening to their community. Pretty excited for it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm confident in neither, but I would love it if Diablo 4 wasn't a total mess. Diablo 3 had one of the most horrible launches I have ever seen and the AH was a PR disaster. But eventually Blizzard built D3 into a game that is crazy fun to play. I still tune in each season to play a seasonal character for a bit because they made the leveling process and building process so much fun. Building up a character into a screen deleting monster while only having to press a few buttons in adventure mode is just a stupid amount of fun. The challenge rifts are also a nice touch.

I want to see them to take that same energy and layout into D4, but I am terrified that Blizzard will once again try to reinvent the wheel instead of just sticking with what works. Just keep it simple. Please.

Last edited:
BG3 will have a better story, and for turned based gamers it'll be better by default.

But for pure action, production values, smooth gameplay and replay value, D4 kills BG3.

Both games are in early stages, BG3 looks like a 360/PS3 game.
Yeah, I feel like the hype for BG3 will be pretty minimal. Critical acclaim, but it'll still be kind of minimal.

Diablo IV hype will be much, much larger.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I really disliked D3 because I could not get past the fact that your weapons were just stat boosts and you didn't use them for the most part. That just killed the loot for me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, I feel like the hype for BG3 will be pretty minimal. Critical acclaim, but it'll still be kind of minimal.
I find some franchises fit this description on forums. But with a bit more hype. The game finally comes out and nobody cares. It's like a vocal community that's bigger than the actual market of purchasers.

- Psychonauts
- Beyond Good and Evil
- Abe's Odyssey

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I don't see any chance that both titles will not end up at east good. I more excited about Diablo. I haven't really kept close tabs on BG3. I'm not sure Larian has the chops to write a game that can live up to BG2, but maybe they've contracted some writing talent.

My dude, you already knew how this poll would turn out. :messenger_smiling_horns:

Yeah, I believe BG3 is more likely to turn out good, but I think both will be very enjoyable and easily worth the price.

Last edited:
My dude, you already knew how this poll would turn out. :messenger_smiling_horns:

Yeah, I believe BG3 is more likely to turn out good, but I think both will be very enjoyable and easily worth the price.
Well, yes and no.
It kinda figures that BG3 is more likely to end up a good, even great, game.
But looking at those trailers, isolated from everything else? Diablo IV looks to be what fans wanted in terms of gameplay and atmosphere: more of the same as the classics. I mean if this trailer was shown a year after D3 released, the hype would have been huge.
But this is Blizzard, so... yeah.

Baldur's gate 3, on the other hand, has one major feature that has already split the community pre-release.
I'm all for Turn-based, but I can understand the disappointment from some.

The above kinda evened the odds for each side out in my mind.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I'd love to see them turning out way more than decent but I'm more confident they will both suck in ways one could expect after all that was shown

Top Bottom