• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

Kacho

Gold Member
Sad I missed the world boss. Figured it’d keep spawning every few hours but there were four set times, two of which were 1 and 4 in the morning. Wasn’t able to level a character fast enough because I was busy being a dad. Ahh, good old MMO nonsense where you have to schedule your life around a game.

zomboden

Banned
Enjoyed my time in the beta. Definitely picking up the game day one early access. Looking forward to trying the pet classes next weekend.

My only complaint is the dungeons are badly designed imo. The whole “get 2 boxes on pedestals” or “kill gate keeper” or “kill 3 constructs” stuff is boring as hell. Just let me kill monsters and a big boss at the end. The meaningless objectives are a slog.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I didn't get to check out the world boss either, unfortunately. But I really did enjoy my time with the game. I just REALLY wish you could manually zoom out some more...

Kacho

Gold Member
I upgraded my poll rating from a 3 to a 2. The game slowly won me over and I’m eager to play more. Will definitely play the hell out of the final version no matter what issues I have with the game.

Hopefully they don’t have us waiting for season 1 too long. That’s when things get interesting.

Last edited:

omegasc

sums up a lot of my personal issues with the beta. Hopefuly they increase difficulty..

There are higher difficulties to be unlocked. I believe the purpose of the beta is for people to actually do stuff instead of having too much trouble with the content so they get data on flow, bandwidth, itemization, etc.
I hope they let us go beyond "Veteran" before finishing the game, though. I kinda liked vanilla D3 difficulty spike when you found Champions and Elites... had to stop and see what affixes they had in order to prepare for battle. But I guess I was not with the majority of players :messenger_beaming:

Xyphie

I really hope Shrines of Lilith isn't something we're going to have to collect every season. Getting ~30 shrines * 5 zones (so 150 total) every season is going to be very tedious.

drotahorror

Sad I missed the world boss. Figured it’d keep spawning every few hours but there were four set times, two of which were 1 and 4 in the morning. Wasn’t able to level a character fast enough because I was busy being a dad. Ahh, good old MMO nonsense where you have to schedule your life around a game.

Unless you had a organized group of lvl 25s you ain't puggin that anyway. No one has the dps or wits to kill it before the timer runs out.

Hot5pur

Excited for the open beta next weekend too.

A few improvements that I can think of:
- UI icons are kinda meh, and the UI in general kinda disappointing. Can't imagine it would take too long to rework.
- scaling is weird. I think the same content gets much harder on higher player level. I had a much easier time with Den Mother at low level. I guess this sort of makes sense, but perhaps they could add some special scaling to dungeons, eg. If you're under level 10, the dungeon is your level + 5, if you are level 10 the dungeon is + 4 and scales down until it matches your level at 15 and scales with your level from there. Just some dungeons so there are "difficult" and "regular" ones.
- skill tree modifiers should have more visual flair. The sub-skills just feel like number tweaks, but I feel they could do more in terms of interesting visuals. D3 did this well with runes. I know legendary items do add more flair (like earthquake on stomp) but this makes the skill nodes less exciting and gives you less feedback in terms of feeling powered up
- major boss fights should have more context. A very short cutscenes with zoomed in in-game graphics would suffice, just to give things significance. The final act I boss I just thought was a random boss and really didn't feel the impact of beating it

Beyond that, I feel the game is solid, and if the later acts ramp things nicely in terms of action and set pieces it could be a very memorable game. I do think this caters more to the casual crowd, and I am thankful for that, there are plenty of deeper games if people want that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly this might sound weird, but I hope they scale down the loot drops at low level, I mean in terms of rarity, I was rocking all rare/legendary apart from a necklace and getting plenty of upgrades into my 20's.

I do honestly feel like blues are just whites now. I feel like there's needs to be a more gradual progression on gear rarity as we go up the low levels.

It feels weird having some uttely build changing sword drop like 4 times before I get to 25...

I did like how many legendary trans mogs I unlocked due to this though, my rouge looked sick.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
PoE fans are rabbid. Be glad you got your amazing game and be happy with it. Not everyone wants to play a game with 5 excel sheets open. Some people prefer a more streamlined game like d4. Its just much more fun to me.
You mean you don’t want to use path of building, poe ninja, and watch an encyclopedias worth of youtube guides just to have a basic understanding of the game?

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Honestly this might sound weird, but I hope they scale down the loot drops at low level, I mean in terms of rarity, I was rocking all rare/legendary apart from a necklace and getting plenty of upgrades into my 20's.

I do honestly feel like blues are just whites now. I feel like there's needs to be a more batutal.progression on gear rarity as we go up the low levels.

It feels weird having some uttely build changing sword drop like 4 times before I get to 25...

I did like how many legendary trans mogs I unlocked due to this though, my rouge looked sick.
It's likely they scaled the full game loot experience into the beta level window. I also thought the loot system was a bit generous. But there is also the next level up which is uniques. The loot balance is unlikely to be perfect anyhow on day 1, kinda the trickiest part about these types of games

ssringo

I think legendary drop rates are fine with how they're pushing gear progression. Find good legendary, use it until you find something better, recycle special affix onto new gear. You can only do it once per drop and if you can't reasonably find more then you'll push players into hoarding them and never using them until late game.

If anything I think the gambling rates vs rate of obtaining the currency might need tuning. That's where I got most of my legendary items outside of the world boss.

Kacho

Gold Member
I think legendary drop rates are fine with how they're pushing gear progression. Find good legendary, use it until you find something better, recycle special affix onto new gear. You can only do it once per drop and if you can't reasonably find more then you'll push players into hoarding them and never using them until late game.
If that's the case, then yeah the drop rate is probably fine. The system sounds very similar to Diablo 3, expect here you can't use the affix indefinitely.

Oh interesting:

Sacred Legendary Items Diablo IV​

Sacred Legendaries are more powerful than regular Legendaries. They only drop when a player reaches higher levels.

Ancestral Legendary items​

These are the most powerful Legendary items and will replace a player’s Sacred and regular Legendary items when found (although that won’t be often). They drop when a player reaches the highest levels of the game.

Last edited:
had to quit because i got stuck in the town area :messenger_grinning_sweat:. it was like my character was running against an invisible wall.
Yes, I had that bug happen quite a few times. My friends as well. You can fix it by going into the middle of town, waiting like 30 seconds and then trying again. If it doesn't work, use a different bridge.

It's a weird bug that happens when the game tries to phase you in from town to the open region world. We both reported it via the in-game feedback and Blizzard is usually pretty good at fixing stuff like that. Not too worried about it for release.

Last edited:

Tg89

If that's the case, then yeah the drop rate is probably fine. The system sounds very similar to Diablo 3, expect here you can't use the affix indefinitely.

Oh interesting:

Sacred Legendary Items Diablo IV​

Sacred Legendaries are more powerful than regular Legendaries. They only drop when a player reaches higher levels.

Ancestral Legendary items​

These are the most powerful Legendary items and will replace a player’s Sacred and regular Legendary items when found (although that won’t be often). They drop when a player reaches the highest levels of the game.

So are these actually different items or is this like D3 where you're finding a sacred version of an existing legendary? That system was pretty ass.

Kacho

Gold Member
So are these actually different items or is this like D3 where you're finding a sacred version of an existing legendary? That system was pretty ass.
It sounds like Primal/Ancient Primal legendaries from Diablo 3.

They're seemingly bringing over a lot of features from Diablo 3 and changing them slightly.

James Franco GIF

sums up a lot of my personal issues with the beta. Hopefuly they increase difficulty..

In regards to difficulty- Did you know Diablo franchise is one of the very few games with like a crazy amount of settings built in yes? If you click the statue in the main town in D4 Beta, you can see the options for World Tier 3 and 4, and I am confident it will have more World Tiers come expansions or seasonal updates.

Diablo 3 by end of its life cycle has 16 difficulties settings. Yes, 16. Goes from Torment 1 to Torment 16, and below Torment are Normal, Nightmare, Hell and Inferno.

Last edited:

Tg89

In regards to difficulty- Did you know Diablo franchise is one of the very few games with like a crazy amount of settings built in yes? If you click the statue in the main town in D4 Beta, you can see the options for World Tier 3 and 4, and I am confident it will have more World Tiers come expansions or seasonal updates.

Diablo 3 by end of its life cycle has 16 difficulties settings. Yes, 16. Goes from Torment 1 to Torment 16, and below Torment are Normal, Nightmare, Hell and Inferno.
I think the issue is the difficulty scales in a boring way. Spongier enemies who deal a bit more damage each difficulty. Combine this with the way the itemization works and your gear scales and it makes for a pretty dull scale.

Compare that to the way difficulty works in D2 for example. Much more engaging.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Legendaries
Legendaries are harder to find than Common, Magic or Rare gear pieces. Legendary items drop with powerful affixes, called Aspects, that can alter and empower your Characters abilities in many different ways.

You can go to the Occultist to extract the Aspect (legendary affix) from a legendary item, and then you can add the extracted Legendary Power to another piece of gear (e.g. Rare item that rolled with amazing stats and to which you would like to add a specific Legendary Power, or a Legendary Item with the right stats on it but the wrong Legendary affix, so you switch it out with the Aspect you extracted). However, this will destroy the item from which you extracted the Aspect in the process.

Most of the Aspects you will have collected throughout your journey will be registered in the Codex of Power. Later on, you can then pick any Aspect you want to imprint onto a new Rare or Legendary item. Adding a specific Legendary Power through the Codex, however, comes at a cost.
So affixes are aspects. I remember seeing the aspects tab in my inventory. Sounds like most can be used infinitely once you have the aspect in the Codex of Power?

So affixes are aspects. I remember seeing the aspects tab in my inventory. Sounds like most can be used infinitely once you have the aspect in the Codex of Power?
They're server wide unlocks. So if you playing a Barbarian and you unlocked a Power Aspect for a Necromancer Only, that means when you roll a Necromancer, you'll have access to that power aspect on that toon. This is really nice, because it's alt-friendly and saves time and rewards players.

However, the aspects will still be locked on your Hardcore character. Because Hardcore characters vs Eternal Characters are 2 seperate entities, so worst case scenario you'll have to unlock them twice. Oke time on a Eternal Server and one time on Hardcore server, but its fine, because Hardcore has its own set a rules and they want to make sure that Hardcore characters progress on their own.

Diablo 3 was same way. You could start a Hardcore toon, get to high level, save up a bunch of gear in the stash and then start another character and access that stash all the gear you acquired when you've played your first Hardcore toon. So losing a character in Hardcore isn't really as bad as people think it is. You just have to be smart and save things up in a stash in case shit goes south.

Last edited:

ssringo

Pulling the affix off a legendary is a one time use. The ones you obtain from certain dungeons are permanent. Probably will get all affixes by the time you've gone through the whole story and/or various world tiers.

I imagine the really good, build defining one's won't be permanent until late game.

omegasc

Compare that to the way difficulty works in D2 for example. Much more engaging.
Tell that to my teen self with a Cold "build" fighting a cold immune zombie in A1 just outside the main town with only one or two very weak fire attacks. Can't respec, need to do it all over again after hours spent in that char.
I know there are faster ways to level now, but back in vanilla D2?

ssringo

One time use as in it can't be extracted again once you apply it to another item?
Yup. Pull it off, imprint on new item and that's it. It can't be pulled off again. Serves a different purpose than the permanent versions that you can apply over and over.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yup. Pull it off, imprint on new item and that's it. It can't be pulled off again. Serves a different purpose than the permanent versions that you can apply over and over.
I think I like that. In Diablo 3 once you extracted a power, that legendary was salvage for the rest of the season. Now you’ll have to be more picky about when you apply it and store some extras for future use.

ssringo

I think I like that. In Diablo 3 once you extracted a power, that legendary was salvage for the rest of the season. Now you’ll have to be more picky about when you apply it and store some extras for future use.
They still have that though. It's the permanent unlocks you get from side dungeons. I don't think we know if they'll make every single affix unlockable that way though or hold onto the very best ones as single use imprints.

Edit: it's not free to change. Still costs resources.

Last edited:

Antwix

Tell that to my teen self with a Cold "build" fighting a cold immune zombie in A1 just outside the main town with only one or two very weak fire attacks. Can't respec, need to do it all over again after hours spent in that char.
I know there are faster ways to level now, but back in vanilla D2?
yeah i remember playing a cold sorc back in the day when I was like 9 years old. felt like every boss in hell was immune to cold. rough stuff... at least you could static them down to like below half health lol

Kacho

Gold Member
They still have that though. It's the permanent unlocks you get from side dungeons. I don't think we know if they'll make every single affix unlockable that way though or hold onto the very best ones as single use imprints.
Seems the aspects you extract weapons/armor are the most interesting. Like earthquake proccing when you use ground stomp.

Spyxos

Just played d3 for an hour and then straight back to d4. And woah The barbarian in d4 feels like I'm punching the air all the time. Sure he is still low lvl, but something is still strange there.

ssringo

Respecs are cheap enough (and nothing in beta carries over anyways). Try various skill combinations and see what works.

Personally I found cold underwhelming while lightning was beast mode. Fire was good too but it was a lot of Hydra domination while I avoided attacks.

bigedole

The aspects you get from the codex of power (beating dungeons) are the weakest version of that aspect, but will always be available to you. When you extract from a legendary item, it is 1 time use but can be quite a bit stronger than the codex version. Once you imprint an item, you can not extract an aspect or imprint to that item again.

Man..either i dont know how to play sorc or the game is actually hard. I cant even clear this dungeon
I can help you out - which dungeon is it exactly? I've done them all and leveled a sorc to 25. What is your build? Can you share a screenshot and what exactly your having an issue with? Boss?

Kacho

Gold Member
Can anyone explain how berserking works. Does it have a chance to proc on any hit?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Farming level 35 boss
Right meow i melt him with my broken sorc in 3 sec

Need money so i can send items to all my other chars..
Fuck why is beta ending :(

Also if you use your dungeon orange you can make some sick looking chars.

8xYL9jS.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, got all classes to 20 or above. Loved it. Bring on the next one. I'll be going through withdrawals until then.
I have the following

Hardcore:

Rogue - 22
Barbarian - 13

Eternal:

25 Sorceress

Goal will be to finish of Rogue and Barbarian to 25 on Hardcore. Then do same for Druid and Necro on Hardcore! Can't wait =D

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I can help you out - which dungeon is it exactly? I've done them all and leveled a sorc to 25. What is your build? Can you share a screenshot and what exactly your having an issue with? Boss?
Lost Archives. I couldn’t beat the boss first time I tried. Second time I couldn’t even beat the big fat guy who was guarding one of the items i need.

My builds never have any rhyme or reason. I am going to copy this one now and try again- https://www.vg247.com/best-diablo-4-beta-sorcerer-build-for-solo-players

Top Bottom