• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 should be refunded and blizzard needs accountability for lying

BreakOut

The state of Diablo 2 is just unacceptable. It’s 10 AM over here and I’m in “line” to play a game. 264th place! It’s been 30 minutes and I’m still not in. Being on a PlayStation it’s not like I can just minimize it and go play a different game, as we get closer to the holidays it’s going to get even worse. I don’t see Blizard offering any solutions other than “we’re going to put a line in”. Because I guess the servers were unstable before, but now they’re just so limited it doesn’t even matter.
Does anyone think organizing something where everyone who can just gets online and does not log off all weekend? Leave it running in background if on PC. Cram the server full and publicize it. If we can make it so no one can play then blizzard would be forced to get more servers right? Tell me if this sounds like a stupid idea, like maybe I’m really reaching here but I don’t think they should be able to get away with this, it just really bothers me.
Never mind me being able to get on and play but they are not some company that is living out of a box or in a van down by the river, they have money they also have servers because one of their other games is not doing as hot as it was. I’m sure they can borrow one.
It’s more the principle that’s getting to me. Seeing they added a line through a game update, it’s clearly not the product that was promised or sold.
I feel like a vengeful little bastard but I want to do damage to them. Like a twisted revenge. Call it a rant, or just even fit I guess.. but nonetheless it’s not what I paid for.

ViolentP

This sounds like a stupid idea. You’re just upset. Put it out of mind for a bit and before you know it, the launch issues will be a memory.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I TRIED REFUNDING AND THIS WAS BLIZZARDS RESPONSE

I AM SO ANGRY THAT I CAN NOT REFUND THIS GAME

GRRRRRRR

LrKNtJM.png

Lanrutcon

Not that this shit deserves a defense, but I think they completely missed the boat when it came to the limitations of the old tech. They were very optimistic: no queues, and no game time limits (those were also patched in, you have to wait a minute before you can create a new game now). After giving it a month they obviously felt that it creates too many bugs and backtracked on those two issues.

I can make an educated guess on the server queue issue: they aren't going to expand the server capacity until they feel the numbers have stablized and it's still required. That's how companies think. They probably look at the player numbers now and figure a lot of people will stop playing after the honeymoon period, at which point the queues will disappear.

Last edited:

ViolentP

No, he paid money for this game he has every right to be upset.
So let’s coordinate users getting on and staying on to force Blizzard to increase server capacity. Smart. Get a refund or forget it. But this idea is ridiculous.

BreakOut

This sounds like a stupid idea. You’re just upset. Put it out of mind for a bit and before you know it, the launch issues will be a memory.
What sucks is it’s not even really a launch issue anymore. We are kind of past that. But I don’t have a whole Lotta time played on it, didn’t beat it and just wanna be done.
I just really hope there is a solution of some kind that they have going on.

BreakOut

Not that this shit deserves a defense, but I think they completely missed the boat when it came to the limitations of the old tech. They were very optimistic: no queues, and no game time limits (those were also patched in, you have to wait a minute before you can create a new game now). After giving it a month they obviously felt that it creates too many bugs and backtracked on those two issues.

I can make an educated guess on the server queue issue: they aren't going to expand the server capacity until they feel the numbers have stablized and it's still required. That's how companies think. They probably look at the player numbers now and figure a lot of people will stop playing after the honeymoon period, at which point the queues will disappear.
That’s one of the things that stands out to me, the fact that they added in a line through a patch. Had that of Been something that they even brought up remotely I would not have considered buying the game or I definitely would have waited. It’s a popular game and I knew that there was going to be a lot of people. But specifically not seeing that as an issue because it was branded as a non-issue in the beginning was one of the things that gave me the confidence.

Like I legitimately feel like I was misled.

ViolentP

What sucks is it’s not even really a launch issue anymore. We are kind of past that. But I don’t have a whole Lotta time played on it, didn’t beat it and just wanna be done.
I just really hope there is a solution of some kind that they have going on.
It’s weird because Blizzard has the infrastructure in place. Queues should be present first 48 hours max of a big launch while they scale. This is obviously bad design.

Lanrutcon

That’s one of the things that stands out to me, the fact that they added in a line through a patch. Had that of Been something that they even brought up remotely I would not have considered buying the game or I definitely would have waited. It’s a popular game and I knew that there was going to be a lot of people. But specifically not seeing that as an issue because it was branded as a non-issue in the beginning was one of the things that gave me the confidence.

Like I legitimately feel like I was misled.

I hear you.

I hope it'll get better when they release the first Ladder season.

Atm I'm just playing offline every day. I got my online necro to mid 80s, and then swapped over.

BreakOut

So let’s coordinate users getting on and staying on to force Blizzard to increase server capacity. Smart. Get a refund or forget it. But this idea is ridiculous.
Well not doing anything doesn’t seem to be working. So let’s assume that the world just corrects itself. 😂 The login and stay might be a bad idea, but I imagine there’s something that can be done. Some thing to hold them accountable to.
Although in reality look what’s going on with this company it’s not like they give a shit about the image.
At least on PlayStation isn’t there an option for a refund once, like a good faith thing? I’ve never refunded a game before on PlayStation. So I feel like if I call once since PlayStation 3 then it really must be an issue to me.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I was so torn between this and new world at the release. Glad I picked new world instead.

I actually had high hopes for this, but blizzard gonna blizzard.

GRRRRRRR

LrKNtJM.png

I'm sorry, but you have a total of 9 days of queue time which means you can't refund the game.

We want to let you know we are glad for your money and therefore thank you for accepting our decision.

BreakOut

I hear you.

I hope it'll get better when they release the first Ladder season.

Atm I'm just playing offline every day. I got my online necro to mid 80s, and then swapped over.
Yeah, I wish I had. My friends and I all got this to play together, one of us is in the military. But we all made our characters online. Went into hard-core mode. The military guys was the psycho who came up that idea. 🤣 The few times we’ve been able to play Have been fun.

ViolentP

Well not doing anything doesn’t seem to be working. So let’s assume that the world just corrects itself. 😂 The login and stay might be a bad idea, but I imagine there’s something that can be done. Some thing to hold them accountable to.
Although in reality look what’s going on with this company it’s not like they give a shit about the image.
At least on PlayStation isn’t there an option for a refund once, like a good faith thing? I’ve never refunded a game before on PlayStation. So I feel like if I call once since PlayStation 3 then it really must be an issue to me.
There’s much that can be done.

BreakOut

I was so torn between this and new world at the release. Glad I picked new world instead.

I'm sorry, but you have a total of 9 days of queue time which means you can't refund the game.

We want to let you know we are glad for your money and therefore thank you for accepting our decision.
Yeah part of me is like how the hell did this guy get nine days of playtime? Like he’s just -owned- the game for nine days or you actually logged that much time? That’s a lot of time in general, let alone for a game that barely functions.

BreakOut

Blizzard is in the process of fixing the issue but it’s gonna be a minute. Just get a refund if you’re that bitter or play offline toons.
I guess we will see what happens, I just know as we get closer to the holiday it will get even more intense it’s not gonna get easier on the server. And their lack of transparency is very annoying. In the beginning they were kind of handing out updates on what was going on, but shit fell off like a Kickstarter project.

nivix

Neo Member
I learned pretty quickly that the online doesn't work. Which is stupid. Switched to offline and that's been fine. Just had to replay Act 1.

Saber

Gold Member
Still wonder how people could even buy this after all those events Blizzard had, including the recently Reforged fiasco.

My original Diablo 2 is still here and I still play either alone or with my brother sometimes. Theres no need for this excuse of game "aways online".

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
In situations like this what pisses me off the most is that we're not talking about some small independent dev who may struggle with paying for extra servers or spending extra time to fix the game. It's a game released by a huge ass company that could've afforded proper testing before the release and expanding the infrastructure after current issues.

Just vote with your wallet, I've stopped buying games from shitty publishers and I recommend doing the same. There are so many games coming out you'll still have something else to enjoy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Honestly you are missing out d2 is fucking crack 😂

Freeman76

100% I did try to get a refund from MS but denied even though the game is broken as fuck and has been for weeks. I'm usually pretty tolerant of things like this, but this takes the piss

drotahorror

I played for 2 weeks at launch and had very little issues (pc). Tried to play yesterday and had to wait in line then it said it couldn’t connect.
What occurred that started causing more issues that weren’t apparent at the start (at least for me)?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I only play solo so I've been fortunate to bypass all those issues or at least I haven't encountered them yet.

I do realize that Diablo 2 is largely multiplayer for most people though so they should prioritize fixing this. At this point with their track record, I'm not sure they can anytime soon.

Do they not do large scale stress tests on their servers before deploying a final product? I mean, how does this keep happening?

anthony2690

Banned

GRRRRRRR

LrKNtJM.png
Oh wow, you've got like 10 days playtime, I mean, did you honestly expect a refund? :p I don't even get that much play time with most games I buy (isn't this game only a month or two old?) I'm actually envious of your free time :(

Tg89

Is it just me or are the servers unstable pieces of shit even when you do manage to get on? TPing around with my sorc feels so bad sometimes.

BreakOut

I only play solo so I've been fortunate to bypass all those issues or at least I haven't encountered them yet.

I do realize that Diablo 2 is largely multiplayer for most people though so they should prioritize fixing this. At this point with their track record, I'm not sure they can anytime soon.

Do they not do large scale stress tests on their servers before deploying a final product? I mean, how does this keep happening?
Apparently not. You’d think for a company that had a semi decently popular mmo franchise running for a little while.. maybe they’d of had some notes.

BreakOut

Is it just me or are the servers unstable pieces of shit even when you do manage to get on? TPing around with my sorc feels so bad sometimes.
I have rubber band ALOT. The line thing was supposedly going to fix it? But it didn’t. I logged in finally after like 40 minutes. Now I’m leaving my character logged in until tonight. Doing grandmas 80th then not waiting in line.

Kacho

Gold Member
I played for 2 weeks at launch and had very little issues (pc). Tried to play yesterday and had to wait in line then it said it couldn’t connect.
What occurred that started causing more issues that weren’t apparent at the start (at least for me)?
The initial issue was that the servers would work for a while until enough people started mass creating games to farm which would lead to others getting locked out. They introduced the queue to avoid that and the connection issues are are a side effect of that. They’re coding a fix to completely rework how the servers work.

Tg89

I have rubber band ALOT. The line thing was supposedly going to fix it? But it didn’t. I logged in finally after like 40 minutes. Now I’m leaving my character logged in until tonight. Doing grandmas 80th then not waiting in line.
Well, glad it's not just me at least. Reset my router a bunch of times to check, legit thought I was set to Europe or something. Shame what's become of Blizzard.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
If I couldn't get a hold of classic versions of blizzard games, I wouldn't even play them. And yes, I realize most are strongly multiplayer-based. I'd just rather have a new game than a botched re-launch or re-release of a beloved game. Let blizzard go. Let some new companies grow in the place of their absence. They might surprise you.

base

Banned
Oh wow, you've got like 10 days playtime, I mean, did you honestly expect a refund? :p I don't even get that much play time with most games I buy (isn't this game only a month or two old?) I'm actually envious of your free time :(
With Steam it's only 2 hours. Correct me if I am wrong.

Buddy of mine got his money back right away, I kept it and played some more. My biggest problem are the reports of GPU's overheating like crazy and they aren't doing anything about it. My 3090 got hotter playing this game for 45 minutes than it did after running some Far Cry 6 for like 3 hours with everything maxed out....and Ubi games are optimized horribly so thats saying a lot.

you would be stupid to give blizzard, or more accurately Activision Blizzard, your money. The old Blizzard is long gone, unfortunately.

Dthomp

I still can’t play on ps5 cause of the shared stash glitch still deleting anything I put in there. Wish to hell I could refund this game since I haven’t been able to play in weeks cause they won’t acknowledge any of the console bugs, and yes I am playing offline, still deletes your stash, and this game is unplayable with 1 box

Top Bottom