• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dia de Muertos 2016 - A tradition that refuses to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Dia de Muertos but as someone who lives in the north of Mexico I feel that we don't celebrate it as it should. I would really like to experience the real celebration in Michoacan one day

I'll follow with some write up about the often forgotten (figuratively and FOR REAL) Jose Guadalupe Posada.
Yes! He's one of my main influences and one of my favorite mexican illustrators, he really deserves more recognition

I'm really excited to see what you're going to write about him and nice work with the OP

Love going for a walk on the nearby cemetary in the evening of all saints day, it's so atmospheric.
cmentarz8du7u.png

That is a pretty amazing picture.

I hope this year I can take some time to go to my local cemetary since last year I was bussy with a lot of work, but I think this year I won't miss it and the food.

Dai101

Banned
Epic tradition.

It meshes well with Halloween.

You forgot Michoacan's got the best of the best celebrations

2013_muertos7.jpg

The traditional Dia de los Muertos flower is Cempasuchil aka flor de los muertos

cempasuchil.jpeg

I also can add that paperworks are popular ornaments of these days

PapelPicadoDayoftheDeadSacramento.jpg

I didn't forget. Just wanted to go more in dept.

Awesome post man!

Both me and my wife absolutely love the atmosphere and aesthetic absolutely gorgeous. So much in fact that we kind of want to witness it in Mexico one time.
Not sure if that will ever happen considering we're from the Netherlands.... but who knows..maybe some day :D

You're always welcome to come. Mexico es su casa.

I love Dia de Muertos but as someone who lives in the north of Mexico I feel that we don't celebrate it as it should. I would really like to experience the real celebration in Michoacan one day

Yes! He's one of my main influences and one of my favorite mexican illustrators, he really deserves more recognition

I'm really excited to see what you're going to write about him and nice work with the OP

Yeah. The north is a "weird" place. Also, don't go too far away, i'll have a surprise for you. In a few hours that is.

EDIT: Here it is http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305243

Chuckie

You can come and go to Oaxaca or Michoacan for less than you think. Mexican Peso is very weak against the Euro right now.

Make the jump, Mexico is amazing.

You're always welcome to come. Mexico es su casa.

I seriously might go next year. Wife loves the idea.

Are Oaxaca and Michoacan safe places? I am not really a scared kind of guy, but the stories about Mexico (the big cities that is) are sometimes a bit worrying.

Which of the two would be best to go. Not just for Dia de los muertos, but in general because we also want to see beautiful nature and architecture.

pikablu

I've celebrated with my Fiance who's parents were born in Mexico. It's definitely a good time. I love the pan de muerta.

Well, el Dia de los Muertos is almost over for me, happy birthday to my grandmother and how fondly I remember her putting pan and sweets and a sugar skull in the ofrenda for her mom, alongside candles and pictures. Then the next day I would notice some bites on the food, and she would tell me her mom came back to eat it.

I'll post this humorous Trump calavera, but I cannot even hope to translate it and give it justice.

From
http://www.calaveras-literarias.com/calaveras-dia-de-muertos/calavera-a-donald-trump/
Donald Trump te lo aseguro
Le dijo la calavera
Que no vas a hacer el muro
Porque una hirviente caldera
Rebosante de cianuro
En el infierno te espera.

Y por lo tanto, te auguro,
Que todo buen mexicano
Predecirá tu futuro
Que allá en un lugar lejano
Por tu discurso tan duro
Se te va a podrir el: anillo periférico.

En ese día tan aciago
La flaca por Donald fue
Y le arrancó el bisoñe
En su club de Mar-a-lago.

Y tan amargo fue el trago
Pa’ sus fieles seguidores
Que causando gran estrago
Por órdenes superiores.

Quemaron una tras otra
En distritos estatales
Las urnas electorales
Que presagiaban derrota.

Y para su mala suerte
En una ilusión nefaria
Confundió a la misma muerte
Con la candidata Hilaria.

La Calaca lo deshizo.
La saco de sus cabales.
Le tocó los genitales
Sin el mortuorio permiso.

Y haciendo caso omiso
De reveladora encuesta
Con su peluca bien puesta
Hoy se encuentra bajo el piso.

Lo arrastró de los cabellos
Y le perforó el gaznate
Pa’ apagarle los resuellos
Que profirió en el debate.

Y con todo, de remate,
Erigieron con sus manos
Albañiles mexicanos
La lápida del magnate.

Y a pesar de su dolor
Por su derrota inminente
Huyó lleno de pavor
Hasta el averno candente.

Y solo ahí, al parecer,
Con ademanes funestos
Le declaró sus impuestos
Al inicuo Lucifer.

Y según una entrevista
Que ha publicado el gobierno
Los demonios, por racista,
Lo expulsaron del infierno.

Enviada por: Jesus Zamarron.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Awesome post man!

Both me and my wife absolutely love the atmosphere and aesthetic absolutely gorgeous. So much in fact that we kind of want to witness it in Mexico one time.
Not sure if that will ever happen considering we're from the Netherlands.... but who knows..maybe some day :D

nice, im from the netherlands too and i like the idea behind all of this so much i got a tattoo with personal meaning a few months ago, only 1 person got offended by it because im white but its been positive from others. but i wont post it cause i dont wanna offend anyone, this thread is great tho.

Dai101

Banned
I seriously might go next year. Wife loves the idea.

Are Oaxaca and Michoacan safe places? I am not really a scared kind of guy, but the stories about Mexico (the big cities that is) are sometimes a bit worrying.

Which of the two would be best to go. Not just for Dia de los muertos, but in general because we also want to see beautiful nature and architecture.

Most of Mexico is fairly safe, just take precautions as you will in every other country (i.e. Don't go alone at night, stick to known places, avoid tourist traps, don't flash expensive articles, etc.)

And well, year round you can find a local of national festivity. I mean, we're Mexicans after all.

nice, im from the netherlands too and i like the idea behind all of this so much i got a tattoo with personal meaning a few months ago, only 1 person got offended by it because im white but its been positive from others. but i wont post it cause i dont wanna offend anyone, this thread is great tho.

Now i'm curious. Why would that person be offended?

And now, some pictures we took yesterday.

Mi mums ofrenda, now finished

a3zS0TE.jpg

Some of my neighbors

dnLKOH3.jpg

f3nUr6s.jpg

Some of Panteon Guadalajara

W48J6sk.jpg

1FUvQGm.jpg

8boYrBZ.jpg

3qnczjX.jpg

hoBr8Jh.jpg

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Most of Mexico is fairly safe, just take precautions as you will in every other country (i.e. Don't go alone at night, stick to known places, avoid tourist traps, don't flash expensive articles, etc.)

And well, year round you can find a local of national festivity. I mean, we're Mexicans after all.

Now i'm curious. Why would that person be offended?

And now, some pictures we took yesterday.

it basically came down to that i was "stealing his culture", whatever that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom