• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D'Ghost misrepresents another topic. Ban warning issued

What do you think?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said "that much detail". Reviewers are already talking about positive and negative aspects of the hardware.

If talking about the external SSD potentially overheating breaks NDA then similarly debunking that does the same, but Jez has done just that.

It's just not the external SSD, it's the console itself while on standby. Maybe Jez needs to clarify himself what he's actually referring to because you seem confused. Ask him on twitter. Not that any word he types has weight in my pov.

Last edited:
It's just not the external SSD, it's the console itself while on standby. Maybe Jez needs to clarify himself what he's actually referring to because you seem confused. Ask him on twitter. Not that any word he types has weight in my pov.

So what's the point? You live in your own fanboy bubble where the Xbox external SSD (Jeff wasn't talking about the console but no doubt you'll believe he was) has heat issues and everyone else who has one is covering this up.

I think it's obvious who has the agenda here.

Iced Arcade

It's Jeff Bakalar so that's a grain of sand.

But I have no doubt that these next gen externals are going to heat up like a hooker in hells sand

Last edited:
So what's the point? You live in your own fanboy bubble where the Xbox external SSD (Jeff wasn't talking about the console but no doubt you'll believe he was) has heat issues and everyone else who has one is covering this up.

I think it's obvious who has the agenda here.

I presented the video and the experience of the person with said console. Open the floor for debate. You quoted Jez as a contrarian point. I merely pointed out Jez is a warrior and not an objective merchant - which he is. You seem to have a problem digesting the fact that I don't care for his opinion. You can accuse me or insinuate anything you want. It's really not a problem.

Last edited:
Not a big deal, imo. If the system is quiet like he says then the fan is probably running nowhere near max RPM and there is plenty of thermal headroom.

Would be a lot more concerning if the fan was running full blast AND the console was getting hot.

TheGrat1

holeup.png

I presented the video and the experience of the person with said console. Open the floor for debate. You quoted Jez as a contrarian point. I merely pointed out Jez is a warrior and not an objective merchant - which he is. You seem to have a problem digesting the fact that I don't care for his opinion. You can accuse me or insinuate anything you want. It's really not a problem.
How many threads have you made now in the last 2 weeks “opening the floor to debate” with some anti-MS or pro-Sony BS. It’s so ironic it hurts that you’re disregarding Jez because he’s “a warrior and not an objective merchant” when by that very definition, we should all be ignoring your post.

The main reason being the bottom side of the XSX. Barely any intake ..

16*16cm = 256cm2 | r2 * π = 8cm*8cm * 3.14 = 200cm2
256cm2 - minus 200cm2 = 56cm2 intake/surface

That's a problem I believe they overlooked by making the bottom flat and not concave like the top. Look how much area that stand blocks. The internal boards divide the console into 2 sections. Thus it has air intakes on 2 corners for its APU essentially (and few holes in them) + the few holes on the port side (which is the best, most unimpeded place it can suck up air from). The stand doesn't raise the console too high from a surface either. It should have been detachable for those sitting the console horizontally for maximum airflow.

Last edited:

Aladin

2 questions to OP,
1. Why do you make clickbait threads ? Dont make threads fit for blue collar workers. Try to analyze everything. If reputed youtubers report series x being the quietest console, how could it overheat to the point of concern ?
2. Why do you think sony has not given its console to small youtubers ? Does it not tell that sony cant handle the hassle of signing of nda with so many people ? You know youtubers will compare titles directly on both hardware, and strong opinions will form.

Last edited:
I presented the video and the experience of the person with said console. Open for debate. You quoted Jez as a contrarian point. I merely pointed out Jez is a warrior and not an objective merchant - which he is. You seem to have a problem digesting the fact that I don't care for his opinion. You can accuse me or insinuate anything you want. It's really not a problem.

If he has an Xbox Series X, it's not really an issue of opinion though. You're essentially saying he, and everyone else with an XSX worldwide, are covering up the issue.

If you want to only believe things that confirm your obvious bias, go right ahead though.

Orky

Banned
Why would MS release the Xbox 360 and deny the RROD for so long until they had to make the recall? These things happen. Report and open the floor to debate.

this was like how many year ago? Is this really your explanation? Lol the reason back then was that they wanted to release their console earlier than Sony.
Now what? Why would they send out the Xbox series x to hundreds people so early? They could easily send it next month. Or not at all. No one would say anything at all.
This whole thing just screams creating FUD out of thin air and nothing else.

If he has an Xbox Series X, it's not really an issue of opinion though. You're essentially saying he, and everyone else with an XSX worldwide, are covering up the issue.

If you want to only believe things that confirm your obvious bias, go right ahead though.

Jez doesn't represent everyone else with an XSX console worldwide. That's a misrepresentation in bad faith to frame your argument - and you know that. Definitely Jez's "experience" does not represent the person in the OP. Again, I don't think I need to make it any clearer that a word coming from a known fanboy and warrior on anything MS related - in my pov - should not be trusted. You can try to circle again with another take and the answer will be the same. Btw this could all be nothing and Jez ending being right - that is a possibility which I'm not arguing against. That's why the poll options are such as they're. But do try to re-frame it once more and see if you hit the lottery.

What a weird way of trying to "debate".

What is it that you don't like Jon?

Last edited:
The Wii also got really hot in stand-by mode. Probably for the same reason as this; the fan didn't turn on but it was still downloading and updating stuff so it got hot. Same thing here probably.
This Jez character immediately jumping to the defense of the Xbox only shows he's either a fanboy or a shill.

some of these shots of people putting them in entertaining cabinets leaving no room for air to escape sorta deserve it
you need airflow around your console

longdi

Banned
until someone measures the heat and compare the results with their ambient temps

There is nothing to be concerned about.

lachesis

If the main unit is getting warm during stand-by... perhaps they can fix it by firmware updates.
External SSD though. Seeing my Sandisk UltraFit USB flashdrive getting quite hot just putting into my USB port, maybe it's a design fault or faulty hardware?

Either case, that 1TB SSD is too expensive for me at this point - so I'm not too concerned about something that I probably won't buy. However if that's a legimate issue - I wish it gets fixed on retail ver. It's highly unlikely that MS didn't think thru the cooling - even though I think bottom intakes are too small compared to the large 140mm fan on top.

This Jez character immediately jumping to the defense of the Xbox only shows he's either a fanboy or a shill.

People were asking him about it, because you know, he has an Xbox Series X. Maybe it really is just fake news?

Jez doesn't represent everyone else with an XSX console worldwide. That's a misrepresentation in bad faith to frame your argument - and you know that.

Again, there are hundreds of Xbox Series X models in the wild, all across the Globe. Hardware aspects such as heat dissipation and noise levels are being discussed actively but no other source makes the claim you are framing Jeff as making.

Here's an article in which Ars Technica's Sam literally covers the vents and says he is confident heat is dissipating adequately. One throw-away comment that is already being widely misinterpreted, and debunked, doesn't mean anything unless you really want it to. Seems you do.

Jez doesn't represent everyone else with an XSX console worldwide. That's a misrepresentation in bad faith to frame your argument - and you know that. Definitely Jez's "experience" does not represent the person in the OP. Again, I don't think I need to make it any clearer that a word coming from a known fanboy and warrior on anything MS related - in my pov - should not be trusted. You can try to circle again with another take and the answer will be the same. Btw this could all be nothing and Jez ending being right - that is a possibility which I'm not arguing against. That's why the poll options are such as they're. But do try to re-frame it once more and see if you hit the lottery.

What is it that you don't like Jon?
Your entire post is based on a single issue with a single user but then you’re discounting this guys response from another single user that had a different experience. You are being, as expected, completely disingenuous and trying to make something out of nothing and frame it as “debate”. Adding a poll to your shitpost doesn’t make it any less deserving of a flush.

Jon Neu

Banned
Jez doesn't represent everyone else with an XSX console worldwide.

Neither the person you are selectively quoting to make this sorry ass of a concern trolling thread.

Again, I don't think I need to make it any clearer that a word coming from a known fanboy and warrior on anything MS related - in my pov - should not be trusted.

The irony of a well known Sony fanboy starting a concern trolling thread against Xbox and then denying other people's experiences that contradict the concern trolling narrative by calling them fanboys and warriors it's amusing.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Xbox One X gets "toasty", even when in standby mode. Not really news unless it's literally too hot to touch or is performing poorly due to heat.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Oh boy. You transcribed an anecdote, created a multi-option poll surrounding it to gather subjective opinions about something no one can possibly know anything about, and then reject counter anecdotes... on the basis of them being anecdotes? That's not how this works, friend. If you throw the gate open for basis speculation - like this thread and your poll - you don't get to complain about what walks in. As it stands, we have one person making a claim, and dozens of other people with the hardware not making similiar claims. Are they not allowed to talk about this due to NDAs? Who knows - they can certainly talk about how loud or quiet the console is. People have been handling the system and memory card while operational - no ones burning fingers. Ultimately, we just don't have enough to go on. We have no idea how hot the XSX gets. If someone says "OP sounds legit and I am concerned", this is just as valid as "No, OP sounds like bullshit, I am not concerned".
You're not being objective in your post in the next-gen speculation thread where you present this video as stating facts, so I wouldn't be shutting down discussions on that basis. You created the thread to discuss this - so, discuss it.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Xbox external SSD running hot, even in standby, would be something literally anyone else would have at least mentioned if true as, at present, hardware is one of the few things that reviewers can actually talk about.

There are literally hundreds of these things worldwide and as many YouTube videos vying for your clicks talking about them. At least one verified source has called it fake news. Unless Jeff counters this directly, I'm going to assume it's not actually an issue at all and is being blown out of proportion for an agenda.
Is he known for having any alliances or agendas? First I heard of this guy anyway. Like another poster said they're most probably under NDA and not allowed to talk about it. That was also mentioned in the same video.

Again, there are hundreds of Xbox Series X models in the wild, all across the Globe. Hardware aspects such as heat dissipation and noise levels are being discussed actively but no other source makes the claim you are framing Jeff as making.

Here's an article in which Ars Technica's Sam literally covers the vents and says he is confident heat is dissipating adequately. One throw-away comment that is already being widely misinterpreted, and debunked, doesn't mean anything unless you really want it to. Seems you do.

You could stop dancing around and simply admit you have a problem with the thread existence instead of accusing me of bias at every turn. If merely for the simple fact that you are full of bias yourself, and not only do these posts going after me showcase it but your post history as well. So really not much else needs to be said. Too many posters to count on Gaf. I do not hide my preferences nor opinions on divisive subjects - so that isn't really news to anyone nor the mods.

Again, Jeff's experience has neither been debunked or widely misinterpreted. That is your personal interpretation of things. People have the info in the OP and can freely make up their minds. You can try to frame it as you wish but it doesn't make your opinion any truer than any of the other people who voted . People can disagree. And the poll options show that variety in opinion.

Your quoted article on the subject.

I'll conclude this preview with the best news to come out of this venting weirdness: Series X, so far, is the quietest Xbox I've ever tested. Back-compat software runs the Series X to a high enough level to activate the fans and unleash noticeable heat dissipation, but I can barely hear it, even while spending hours in current-gen, open-world romps like Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Will that change when we get higher-performing "next-gen" games to test? That question, and many more, will have to wait until next time.

The man tested 2 back-compat games and didn't experience issues. Do you think that invalidates Jeff experience with standby mode? If so why or how? Even in hardware with failure rates as high as the Xbox 360, not all consoles failed. Meaning, the experience was not uniform. The experience did not have to be uniform across the board for a potential issue to exist. So really, you have no leg to stand on other than thread whine as many of the other xbox fans in the thread. It's what it's.

Last edited:

sinnergy

There can be defective products , every brand has this .
Maybe they are unlucky .

I had a Wii out of the box overheating , Nintendo forgot to connect the fan. Launch model. just saying .

But with today’s internet everything is big news ...

Last edited:
Not like it matters, OP is ignoring the majority of the posts pointing out how full of shit he is and just cherry picking who he wants to deflect to.

Why would I not ignore them lol? You really want my attention that much? Some, clearly not all, but some very vocal Xbox fans are seemingly upset with the existence of the thread. It's not like this is a new occurrence on any thread "perceived" by them as a negative for MS or the Xbox brand. OP's get attacked all the time. It's not about me, it's about the topic.

Last edited:
Why would I not ignore them lol? You really want my attention that much? Some, clearly not all, but some very vocal Xbox fans are seemingly upset with the existence of the thread. It's not like this is a new occurrence on any thread "perceived" by them as a negative for MS or the Xbox brand. OP's get attacked all the time. It's not about me, it's about the topic.
Hey genius, if it’s about the topic, why are you so unwilling to actually discuss the topic with anyone other than people who agree with you or your ridiculous deflections against Hix?

Hostile_18

Banned
Well you need more than one console either way to notice a trend.

That said I'm sure theres no problem, they will be engineered well. Plus our heating bills will come down, the consoles will pay for themselves!

Relativ9

I like the giant bomb crew (for the most part) but I never take anything game, hardware, or industry related they say too seriously as they seem to be woefully under-informed or misinformed. I remember at some point during the PS5 showcase one of them had no idea what Demon's Souls was.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For any overheating Xbox or PS systems hope it’s within warranty.

I’m getting mine at Costco. Game systems have indefinite return policy as they aren’t considered under the 90 day electronics category.

enjoy rolling the dice with launch day batches from Amazon or Best Buy

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

The same handful of trolls on here, nothing new. With all the shitty Ps5 news, they need to "even" the battlefield lol.
$70 games, cash grab remasters, smaller storage, 50% yields, and Sony's silence has really gotten to these guys.

Calm down with the accusations guys.
Maybe it is true but he has a faulty hardware. Lets hope XSX will be fine.
Could be a faulty product, and could be just doing some intense work in the background... and it's doing its job dissipating the heat.

teezzy

Banned
It's a lot of machine packed into a tiny little box. Of course the outtake and nvme are hot

Wtf kind of games journalist is this dweeb?

I'm in no hurry to snag a Series X or PS5. Anyone rushing to these early production units without even a proper launch lineup for either gets what they deserve. Same every gen.

Last edited:
Surprise, Surprise!!! NVME drives get hot. Yes, even when idling.

If it's passively cooled with a heatsink the best temps you can expect when it does nothing is in the 50 degrees celsius range, which is normal, under load you see most of them go up into the mid 70s or even 80s, hence they have a heatsink.

This thread is, as Sony fans like to call it, FUD and this thread also reminds me of the hundreds of threads I've seen on PC centric forums where people are worried about their new NVME drives temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom